High Noon

In my very young years Spurs were the best in the country if not the world, with a team that had it all – speed, craft, strength (what a player Dave Mackay was), super full backs, centre halves (as they were then) a fine keeper and the late , great Bobby Smith upfront. I can still name the entire 61 Double team, such was their impact upon my psyche.

It was touch and go whether I supported the forces of good or evil, my father had gone over to the dark side and encouraged me to do the same. I was taken to  the coven at WHL to be surrounded by waling banshees and devil worshippers. Thankfully I saw the light and was led onto the path of good and righteousness by other family members. Had they not exorcised me I could have been subjected to a life of ridicule and envy, for such is the life of a Spurs fan. How those poor saps made the disastrous decision to support the joke that is THFC is for them to analyse, but I think it must be centred upon low self-esteem and a history of bed wetting.

Last season we lost our record of not having been beaten by them in the PL this century – you may recall they brought out a DVD. In a way it took a monkey off our backs, but it still rankles that our team didn’t perform that night and a Spurs lad scored the goal of his life (poor chap has gone back to a life of obscurity). And then there was the 4-4 (another DVD!) a game which in which we threw away 2 points and allowed an ex-AFC reserve to score the goal of his life – we must stop that habit!

Spurs go into the game with fresh legs thanks to them having so few Internationals, whereas our boys have all (16 of them!) been away playing meaningless friendlies.  Players like Arshavin and Nasri who played 90 minutes will struggle for fitness.

To see the vast gulf in class between our clubs one only has to assess the respective managers. Mr. Wenger is approaching sainthood, whereas Harry is an execrable human being whose only redeeming features are his fit daughter-in-law and his bank balance.

There can be no doubt that at last Spurs have a decent squad, they can play good football and have quality throughout the side. In Gareth Bale they have the best player in the World – the new Messi  (yeah, right….typical Spurs, 10 decent games from Bale and he is worth €50m!!), the Bale/Sagna battle will be mouthwatering. Modric despite having a ratface and the body of an undernourished spaniel is a player who would flourish at Man Utd – he is wasted at the Sh**hole. Jenas is likely to play thanks to Fatboy Huddlestone’s ban, a player who loves a goal against us – he will have to closed down fast. Lemon is quick but crosses like Clichy, Crouch is hated by the Spurs acolytes which sums them up – I like him but hope he has a stinker tomorrow. Same goes for Pavlachenko – actively disliked by his own fans (check out their blogs). Then there is  Van de Vaart, the “New Dennis Bergkamp”, an Real reject who has started well in the PL, he is without doubt a fine player and an excellent signing by Redknapp, our defensive midfielders will have to be very aware of his movement, for that reason I would play Denilson ahead of Wilshere.

Our ex-captain WG will start and I expect him to get a rousing welcome (actually the expected response will be apathy unless he scores). Should (when) Spurs lose tomorrow their fans will focus upon their defence and the lack of their 3 best CB’s, but let us be honest, if King plays 12 games a season he has had a good year, Woodgate isn’t even in their 25 man squad; Dawson it has to be admitted is a loss but they have a WC winner as a replacement!

Our team:

We have had 2 back to back away victories and return to the Grove where our record is surprisingly not great this season. The fighting performances on the road must be continued if we are to win tomorrow. I am told Arshavin is running into good form, and Chamakh is on a fine scoring streak. Fabregas has found aggression to add to his sublime skills and Nasri is the Premiership’s form player. We have easily enough quality to win this game – what will be required is commitment and concentration over the whole 95 minutes.

The North London Derby (NLD) has at last got some frisson back thanks to the resurgence of the devilspawn fro N17, the atmosphere at The Grove will be electric, the teams excited and inspired, and I just wish I could be there….

Here’s hoping for a great game, a decent referee, an early goal, one just before half time to calm the nerves and a victory for the men in the white hats.

This is not a purely a question of football superiority – it is the eternal battle for the triumph of good over evil

COYRRG

Written by BigRaddy

193 Responses to High Noon

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Blimey, I was just about to write something on the other post, & this one appeared :shock:

2. BigRaddy’s been working overtime on writing posts and we have to squeeze them all in – have you read it?

3. gnarleygeorge9 says:

G’Day peaches, yes I’ve read it now.

I’m sorry BR but I’m going to have to bust your bubble here.

The necessity of the win this Saturday, IMO, is to be able to go Top of the League. Spurs are just a mere stepping stone in the quest. They must be beaten coz 3 points can help get us The Title. Then in May release a DVD, & call it simply “Number 14″.

Oh & it would be released in colour, chamoneeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

4. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I’d just like to make comment with regard to comments as per a previous post.

The away fans are sensational in their support. I can here them all the way done here in Tasmania.

5. Their voices do travel well don’t they – where is everyone?

I agree gnarley that to use this game to be top of the league would be extra sweet ;)

6. Steve Palmer says:

Dave Mackay, a gentleman, when their training ground was just round the corner to me in Cheshunt, we used to watch them train, after the training sesions we would be outside the dressing rooms asking for autographs Mackay used to line us kids up in a straight line, when it came to my turn he signed my album and noticed that Greavsey and Gilzeen hadn’t signed and asked why, they would never sign anything i said, wait there he said and off he went to the dressing room, when he returned he handed me my book back all signed and asked, why there was only one photo of Spurs in there,”he must have gone through my photos to get them signed as well”I replied i am an Arsenal Fan, and Spurs are my second team and he said never mind, you may make us your first,i said thank you Mr Mackay, Gunner for ever, but i’ll never forget you, and never did

7. Carlito11 says:

Great anecdote Steve- and a beautifully barbed post BR! I just want today to go extra quick so tomorrow arrives faster! Agree with GG that the main thing is going top but it’ll be all the sweeter if it’s at Totnum’s expense!

Steve

Lovely story of different times.

9. Red Arse says:

Lovely Post Radders!

Steve, that’s a really good story and just shows that behind all the tribalism, and the sour hatred expressed by some Spurs and Arsenal fans towards each other, at heart we are all human beings, it’s just that being gooners we made much better choices! :-)

10. Red Arse says:

BR,

Great phraseology re low self esteem and bed wetting. Cruel yet funny! :-)

11. gunnern5 says:

Here’s one for the history buff’s – we played our 1st games against Spurs on Nov 19, 1887. One Hundred and Twenty Three years ago today.

It was a friendly and we were losing 2-1 when the game was abandoned – my guess is that the only way they could say they beat us was by abandoning the game.

Overall our record against them in all games played is:-

Played 233
    Won 95
    Tied 58
    Lost 80
    GF 349
    GA 328

Our EPL record is:-

Played 36
    Won 14
    Tied 16
    Lost 6
    GF 55
    GA 38

12. dandan says:

Magic stuff BR, I to like you lived with the pressure of being a gooner in a spud family and had a Dad who took me to WHL to convert me, he failed. I well remember the guys dressed up in white toga like garments, acting as cheerleaders and wearing signs proclaiming “were no Angels” running round the pitch before the game. An awesome side to watch, reminiscent of Wengers Arsenal in their use of the ball.
    In Danny Blanchflower a Captain with brains and no pace they had an organiser who would be worth a fortune in today’s game just for his uncanny reading of the game and Johnny White a player to rank with Brady and Cesc, unbelievably killed by lightning on a golf course.
    A great side then it would have been easy to follow them with the rest of my clan, but the call of the Marble Halls and the love of the banter my traitorism engendered around the breakfast table on a Sunday morning was to good to miss.
    And how handsomely the Arsenal have rewarded me in over 60 years of devotion Lets hope this weekend continues the tradition

13. Steve Palmer says:

Just thinking about what everybody is saying about booing the likes of Gallas, i find this a sad state of affairs, i must admit, i felt he was a bad influence in the dressing room if all you hear is true, but to watch a broken man sitting on his own crying after a loss believing he and his team had let himself and the fans down, made me warm to him, it ment that much to him wearing our colours and was devastated.
    It was his time to go,but at his age theres not a great deal of offers, so you take what you can get, personally i wish him well, hope he plays shit tomorrow but good luck to him, he did his best for us and he should not be rewarded with jeers.

14. 26may1989 says:

Steve, love your story about Dave Mackay. But re Gallas at St Andrews, no!

First, as a matter of detail, we drew the game 2-2, we didn’t lose it.

Second, Gallas’s behaviour at the end of that game was as unprofessional as it was bizarre. He actually went to the centre circle before the penalty had even been taken – our lead CB abdicated defensive responsibility – what would have happened if the penalty had been saved and bounced into open play? Then there is the question of how Gallas’s ridiculous and self-indulgent behaviour would have affected, Clichy, a younger coleague who had (wrongly) been adjudged to have made the foul leading to the penalty – seeing Gallas do his sit-down would have just ripped Clichy’s confidence apart. But that didn’t matter to Gallas.

He put in some good perforances for us, though not as many as he would think, but my mistrust of Gallas was absolutely confirmed that day in Birmingham. He is an appalling character to have in a squad, good riddance. I couldn’t care less about him playing for Spurs now, he never mattered to me. I’d be more upset about Vic Akers joingin Tottenham.

15. Steve Palmer says:

Thanks for your comments, i would.nt want to argue with your knowlege and memory,but i still feel we dont have to lower ourselves down to those depths.

16. Carlito11 says:

There’s a lot of chat on Twitter urging fans not to boo Gallas and I’m all for it- I’d like the crowd to go deathly quiet when his name is read out- damned by indifference!

17. Michael says:

Id love to break your noses just for the fun of it! Atmosphere at your library!!! hahaha dont make me laugh! 35000 yids will outsing 70000 pooners any day of the week!

18. Big Fish says:

Good v Evil?? Come on mate – haven’t you got a life? It’s all about North London, fierce rivalry, but at the end of the day, good banter, often between work mates and friends. Your old man supported the other side? Was he a bed wetting sap loser then?? If so, I’m not sure what that makes you BigRaddy…

19. Carlito11 says:

Will you be there Michael? There weren’t many ‘yids’ left at the final whistle last time round! And could I just add that you have quite a way with numbers, are you a creative accountant?

20. Carlito11 says:

Big Fish, I think you’ll find that the good banter you describe was exactly the intention of the author- read it again but imagine a cheeky wink as you do…

21. charybdis1966 says:

Good going Michael, coming onto an opposition clubs blog and threatening violence, you must have balls of steel to threaten someone over the internet, bravo !

You are so brave, my hero. :)

22. Steve Palmer says:

Michael, welcome i take it theres nothing to read on your blogs and you want to find out all the good info on ours, have a good read old chap, then go back to your shoebox

23. big stu says:

Great reading, as for tomorrows game–cant wait–
    You have arsenal who havent improved from last year and spurs who are 50% improved so i see a spurs win!!

24. 26may1989 says:

Both sides have good stuff going forward but Spurs are soft at the back, while Arsenal have found some steel and defensive discipline. Arsenal to win 3-1.

25. lee says:

the YIDS are coming to get you!!!!!!!

26. Steve Palmer says:

Lee bring a bagel we’ll get Cesc to bless it and feed the 35,000

27. lee says:

steve – ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh u mug.

28. Carlito11 says:

Steve :-D

29. Carlito11 says:

Been watching the football factory lee? Generic hooligan chat seems so dignified in cyberspace I find. We’ll happily discuss anything you want but it has to make sense first! Have you read the article?

30. Ziggy says:

good over evil is right. loved every word. brilliant mate!

31. lee says:

Carlito – do u still remember the pain u felt when ur moody team had the floor wiped with them at the lane last season?

32. Carlito11 says:

26May- I think your 3-1 prediction is spot on- either 3 or 4-1 for me. Looks like Arshavin is too knackered after 90 mins being beaten by Belgium so he won’t start :-( Rosicky on the left instead?

33. Carlito11 says:

LAST season lee? Do you remember the result at the lane THIS season? :-D

34. lee says:

i do carlito , but the pain u felt after losing last year is still with u. more pain to come for you my friend.

35. Steve Palmer says:

I went to the shoebox for that one all i saw was yids leaving

36. Red Arse says:

Carlito/Steve, :-) :-)

37. Oiler says:

60k seats and you still can’t go – wot a muppet. Maybe you could sneak in 10 minutes from the end when everybody else has left

38. charybdis1966 says:

I really can’t understand all this completely disproportionate and groundless yid triumphalism – they last won the league in black and white, and when was their OTHER league title?
    1950-51 FFS.
    I’m flabbergasted at their shameless gloating on the basis of what exactly?
    A first appearance in the Champions League, winning the fizzy cup more recently than our last trophy, btw how’s the fizzy cup campaign this year?
    I blinked and missed it.
    So their gloating is based on a league win(with the accompanying DVD naturellement, I know how much the Cocks love all things French, like your CB’s tomorrow) but in all honesty it’s on the basis of zilch, nothing, na-da, junk, doo-doo, bubkuss…

39. charybdis1966 says:

Oiler, you mean when you lot have left your hovel 10 mins from time like the last time you played us ?

BTW, has your voice broken yet?

I’m guessing you’re at the between shaving and breaking voice stage going by your fondness for Kermit and friends.

40. afc says:

I think arsenal will blow spurs away tomorow. I’m not being cocky, spurs are a good team and have 3 really good players.. But if arsenal actually turn up this time and play the arsenal way I can only see one outcome. If we play like Newcastle game or west brom game we will draw or possibly lose… Possibly. But if we actually go for it and take shots and drive at there defence and pass it sharp we will win. But we must work 4 this one guys

Fine banter – I hope the witless ones from N17 continue to exhibit their stupidity.

And of course it is banter, loads of my mates and family are Spuds, and yes, they are all bed-wetters.

We give, we get. That is the nature of the NLD – it has been for generations.

And I can almost guarantee thhat none of the Spud bloggers on the site will see a league title in their lifetimes. I have seen one for them and SIX for us.

Big club, my arse.

42. afc says:

and yes I must agree.. I to do not understand why spurs fans are so cocky and over-confident with there clubs achivements over the past… Let’s say 20 years. It’s almost like I slipt in to a very deep coma and in that time frame spurs one the champions league, premiership 8 times in a row,, secured top 4 every season and became the best team in the world bringing on crowds of 80 thousand every home game.spurs are a good team, but the way there fans see there team is so very different,,I don’t understand how they seem to think they can even compare to arsenal,

43. Newcomer says:

Oh dear. As a matter of curiosity, I decided to have a look at a few arsenal blogs to guage the general mood before tomorrows game. The quality of writing across your boards has been nothing short of moronic but I finally stumbled upon this one and the opening paragraph gave me hope that I might have stumbled upon a reasonable assessment. A balanced view is probably a little too much to ask from a partisan crowd on either side of the NL divide, but some decent prose and, you know, facts, are surely not too much to ask.

So many inaccuracies. I was beginning to worry about tomorrow, but i’m now just thankfull of my aversion to the illiteraty. Thank you.

Enjoy the game.

What happened to the articulate Spudsters we had on here yesterday?

The N17 gene pool seems to have shrunk massively in the space of a day.

45. Carlito11 says:

You’re right afc- WE must work for this one- the Grove has got to be rocking and I’m pretty sure it will be!

Btw – great rabble-rousing piece BR.
    And I think we can safely say the rabble are roused…

Oiler. I can’t go because the game is a sell out, as are all our home games – unlike WHL. How many showed up to see Sunderland last weeek? 35k – not even a full house.

We have a 30,000 waiting list for season tickets. You can buy a Spurs s/t on Ebay for under £500!

Newcomer. The word is illiteracy. Classic.

49. tommystout says:

BRaddy – my son is a bed wetter, i’d better keep a careful eye on him and where his allegiences go!

50. Carlito11 says:

BR- I think he means the “illiterati” as in the “glitterati”… still spelled it wrong though :-D

LOL TS. Beware…..

52. Steve Palmer says:

Spudyoulike has just opened

:-D Egg on face !! I have never heard of the words illiterati or glitterati, must be words that came into usage after I left the UK.

54. afc says:

spurs fans on this site let me send you all a message..your all a bunch of pikey scum bags, who live to be in
    Films like green street and the football factory. Your football stadium is probably the biggest piece of shit ive ever seen in my life, it’s looks like a bad day in Bosnia. . No seriously tho it stinks of shit around that place. One last thing you will always be in arsenals shadow forever, and ever and ever, and let’s face it you live for arsenal you judge your hole season on how far behind you finished from us. Ps. You won the league in black and white just remember that when you look at yourself in the mirror.

55. hoopspur says:

Maybe tomorrow, maybe not. What is undeniable is the fact that things are really changing. This is not temporary, it is a swing – it might take a little while but it will happen. We will neither stagnate nor implode.

56. lee says:

historically your team has been very average. Yes you have had a decent team during the pl years but you boys will just have to stomach the fact that SPURS are a reborn force. You will feel the YID force tomorrow!!!COYS

57. mike says:

what an idiot, why slag of spurs then back up reasons why you’re talking bollocks?!! “spurs are joke – they had the best team in the world when i was young and had great players.” “Van der vaart is a real reject – he is undoubtedly a great player.” make sense you twat

58. lee says:

AFC – will you be at the game tomorrow? if so i would love to meet you for a drink before the game.

59. dandan says:

Pity the banter had to give way to inane insults. Oh well Raddy, at least we only get them twice a season. Although we could still knock them out of the cup this year I suppose.

Mike. Bunked off school have we?

I wrote VDV was a fine player but he is not nor will ever be a great player.

61. charybdis1966 says:

What a joy it is to see the deluded spuds flock on here to give it the large one just before their first(of 2) cup finals of the year.

They will forever be in our shadow – till they catch up with our league title count they have no right to talk about the “balance of power changing” let alone parity.

13-2 at the moment.

That’s, 13-2.

No fuck off and don’t bother coming back.

‘61, never again.

lol Chary.

13-2 has a ring to it. But 14-2 sounds better!!

63. charybdis1966 says:

Ooooh, Lee, another internet hard man!
    I’m sure afc is really frightened.

LMFAO, tell me have you graduated to the big boys potty yet?

64. Newcomer says:

Big Raddy. Let’s have a think before we respond. A ‘y’ instead of an ‘i’, my crime. You didn’t recognise the word. Thanks again.

BTW, i’m still gutted about the Mickey Mouse cup defeat. That is the correct term for it right? Mickey mouse cup? Your lot came up with it. It basically put the final nail in our ailing title ambitions… Oh no, wrong game. Another fow par.

65. charybdis1966 says:

That’s the thing Raddders, I can’t understand how they can be so such triumphalism before they’ve achieved anything.
    It’s like Susan Boyle thinking she is Beyonce because she had a makeover for her record cover.

66. charybdis1966 says:

Funny you should mention “title ambitions” Newcomer.

How many generations has it been since you could use that phrase in the same sentence as “To***nham”?

Newcomer thank you for returning to the site. I accepted my mistake, but I guess you aren’t man enough to do the same.

Let us look at the MM Cup. Which club brought out a dvd to celebrate their win? For us it was back to the norm.

As to supporters and lack of literary talent, I suggest you look above at the comments from the Spurs fans

68. Beach Bum says:

During the second world war,the Arsenal ground was bombed and they used to play at WHL.so one week I would watch Spurs play and the next week Arsenal.My father was an Arsenal supporter.I watched from the boy’s stand and admired Leslie Compton and Jimmy Logie.However,my hero was Ted Ditchburn and during Spurs great period my admiration for Blanchflower,Greaves, White,and the rest confirmed which team was my first choice.I have admired Arsenal at times,but in those days they were known as “boreing Arsenal”.I am not being prejudiced.For the past few years Arsenal have had the better side,
    but nothihing is forever.So I ask you to have an open mind as to which team will do better this season.

Newcomer, your banter is welcome but you’re making a bit of a tit of yourself by criticising other people’s literacy and then using the phrase “fow par”.
    I’m guessing you meant ‘faux pas’ (from the French, meaning, literally, a false step).

70. gunnern5 says:

It took them 69 years to win their 1st league title and it’s been 49 since their 2nd. So using the law of averages they will be waiting another 20 years for their 3rd.

The anticipation must be killing them – wow! only another 20 years to wait – those years will just fly by………………

71. Carlito11 says:

Newcomer- if you want to get pedantic-thankful only has one l in it! You are absolutely right that it is the Mickey Mouse Cup- we certainly won’t be all over the blogosphere or releasing DVDs of the final if we win it! Nice comeback though :-)

72. charybdis1966 says:

Beach Bum, thanks for your reasoned comment, there is no arguing that Spurs have improved from a few years ago but I’d still suggest that predictions of an inevitable change in the pecking order are a tad premature.
    My team are as capable of stuffing up just as much as the next so all things are possible.

I have been looking for a Spurs blogsite to enter into a little banter but none of those I have found post on a daily basis.

Big club my arse

74. Newcomer says:

Hahahahahaha

Rockylives. I was waiting for one of you to bite.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is getting embarrsassing guys. You’re too good to me.

75. Carlito11 says:

Beach Bum- Good luck to you! And to hoopspur- the fact you are a better team than many of your recent sides and we are no longer invincible is what gives the game its spice! A permanent swing is something that remains to be seen. If Twitchy was offered the Engerland job where would your permanent upturn be then?

History is cyclical they say which is the basis for the Spurs. fans expecting a return to the Glory Glory days.

Strange we don’t hear the same deluded argument from Huddersfield or Preston.

77. charybdis1966 says:

Newcomer – you won the league in black and white, and the other time before TV.

Thanks for giving me a good larf, sorry “laugh” as you are quite the pedant.

78. They don’t like it if we’re rude to them and they don’t like it if we’re not. I’m almost afraid to leave a comment in case they’re scared of girls :roll:

Oh dear Newcomer has shown his spots. He is another little boy home from school with mumps. Strange he ommitted to comment on his “thankful” error

What a shame, I was hoping for some intelligent debate

Pathetic

80. charybdis1966 says:

Just to put it plainly for Newcomer, Lee and the other delusionals out there:

Arsenal Div 1/Premier League titles:

1930–31, 1932–33, 1933–34, 1934–35, 1937–38, 1947–48, 1952–53, 1970–71, 1988–89, 1990–91, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2003–04

Spuds: 1950-51 & 1960-61. Yup, that’s it !

81. Carlito11 says:

Newcomer- one question if I may? Where is the spurs blog that lives up to the high standards of wordsmithery and accuracy that you hold so dear? I would love to see if they manage to come up with a decent post on a daily basis and manage not to be overrun by text-talking pubescents! If you were looking for a “reasonable assessment” of the game why did you come to an Arsenal site? The BBC is fit for that purpose most of the time!

82. Raddy – yesterday a spud mentioned 2 sites Triffic Tottenham and Dear Mr Levy – I haven’t looked at them, all those that want intelligent debate are probably on Arsenal sites

83. hoopspur says:

Just an observation from the outside looking in BR. I think there are plenty of literal mistakes flying around in the comments here, plus there’s the usual pretty offensive tripe, from both sides.

You’ve probably got a rather unbalanced view to suggest it’s just the Spurs fans though. You’ve got 3 real allies there in afc, Chary and especially Lee. You must love the hard work you’ve put into your piece to have it read and then effectively disassembled by these guys?

As for why Spurs fans are on here, it’s because it’s on the Tottenham newsnow site – simple. No searching for me. I always like to hear what the opposition is saying and thinking. Actually I do wonder why I bother. Enjoy the match.

Newcomer, it’s hardly a coup. Your posts are littered with bad grammar and spelling, so implying that you put one of them in deliberately is both unconvincing and frankly, a bit lame. Your use of ‘fow par’ seems entirely consistent with the intellectual level of your offerings so far.

85. Ha ha hoopspur – lee is one of yours :lol:

86. Carlito11 says:

I’m off down the pub for more banter! Will check in in the morning early before heading up to the Mothership! COYRRG!

87. charybdis1966 says:

Hoopspur – are you the Celtic/Spurs fan who came on here a year or so ago ?
    If I get a fair comment, as with Beachbum above, I’m happy to chat/banter, but there’s little debating to be had with irrational delusionism and “Are you going to the match?” so I can beat you up.

88. Steve Palmer says:

Just been reading about the spuds shoe box, apparently its to small and they cant earn enough money from it and they want to move, they cant afford to build their own stadium but want a ready built one, i have heard that they have their eye on a possible place but its not in north London, if say they do move, will they still be known as a north London Club or will they be forced to change there name to FC Dons 2, i did hear That Toys For Us looked at the shoebox but it was to small.

Seriously though, you Spuds do have a half decent team at the moment.

What I don’t get is why you think there is a pendulum swing happening. Most outside commentators accept that Arsenal are better this year than they have been the last couple of years (partly through some new signings and partly through some of the younger players gaining more maturity). This is reflected by our position in the table and by our points tally, which is better than it was at this stage last year.

You lot, on the other hand, are struggling to stay in touch with the Champs League spots and, be honest, it’s going to be harder than last year for you to sneak in there at the end. For all Man City’s wobbles, they have the players to put a strong run together at some point. The Chavs and Mancs are a shoo-in, along with us, for three of the four spots. You’re going to be in that dog fight for fourth place again and there’s absolutely no guarantee you’ll make it.

I accept that you have a decent team and play some good stuff from time to time. Van der Vaart is a great addition and Bale is clearly progressing well – but for all these improvements up front you seem weaker than last year at the back and I think that will probably be your undoing.

90. dandan says:

Peachy I am scared of girls

Hi guys,

Swashbuckling post Raddy.

What a shame that after the two excellent spud supporters yesterday, we’ve been joined by their alter ego’s today.

There is still an unacceptably high percentage of ‘meathead supporters’ who claim to be totnum fans but think that violence and homophobia is part of the game. The people who have threatened violence on here are in good company.

I listened to a reasonably well educated ‘spurs fan’ at my place of work describe how he’d met up with the ‘old firm’ in a cafe on the outskirts of Milan. They were all sitting quietly in their civies when some (proper) spud fans came along in their shirts singing songs. He and his hard man mates went over and told them to “shut the **ck up or they’d kick their heads in” because they were drawing attention to them and might spoil their plans to assault some Milan supporters ….. totally pathetic.

92. hoopspur says:

Peaches – so he is. Thanks for pointing that one out. Yids force? Anyone who writes claptrap such as that I put in the same bracket as those that choose to swear at me or bother to point out minor and irrelevant errors.

Chary, no because I’ve got hoopsur in my name you assume I’m a Celtic fan? No I’m not the same person. I totally agree about the ‘my dad’s bigger than yours’ stuff.

I work with friends who are gooners and socialise also with some 363 days of the year.

Times are a changing though.

Goodbye.

93. charybdis1966 says:

Dandan – I’ve been unnerved by girls on a regular basis.
    Hoopspur we had a Celtic/Spurs fan on here a while back and he seemed a fairly decent chap, that was the reason I asked but I couldn’t remember his exact name but it’s similar to yours.

Of course what we are forgetting is that this will be one of the last NLD as Tottenham are about to become The Stratford Spurs :-D

Their derby days will be the Hammers and Orient!

95. dandan says:

For those going to the game, doesnt the early kick off make the afternoon an anti climax

Dandan – not if we’ve hammered them. The afternoon will then be a blur.

Or it would be if I was going. As it is I’ll be watching it at 7.45am.

BR: I love the way the Spudders over-reacted to your bed wetting gibe. You certainly struck a nerve with that one.

The afternoon’ll be wonderful if we’re top of the league.

What I don’t understand about the spuds supporters is that the majority seem to have short, fat forearms and yet their knuckles still drag along the ground.

99. Red Arse says:

One of the Spudoes, earlier, claimed the “swing is permanent” (from Arsenal to Spurs).

Isn’t that a contradiction in terms, because in my simple mind the definition of swing is “to move back and forth.

Not that I would dream of arguing with the massed ranks of their intellectual pygmies, of course. :-)

100. Newcomer says:

Really rockylives? Feel free to point out my litany of errors. In my years of posting on Tottenham blogs, I’ve never once been described as a pedant. Amazing that a couple of constructively written sentences and the locals peer as if being shown fire for the first time.

As a note, the only people who mention our last league win appear to be the followers of the woolwich wanderers. Nice Stratford jibe by the way.

How about you pop the tampon back in and accept the gap is closing. 4th and a cl qf would be great for us this year. We’re not realistic contenders yet so don’t sound so worried. We’ll be there soon enough.

A couple of poor defences, match winners on both sides. Should be a good one.

Enjoy the game

101. Red Arse says:

Newcomer,

I was just thinking that you seem a cut above some of your Spurs colleagues, and, in fairness, your prose is OK, and then you descend into the gutter with your disgraceful and repugnant comment about the gap closing.

It’s that shameful mysogynistic utterance which marks you!

Newcomer,

I have never, and will never, feel the need to visit a totnum blog for an intelligent football discussion. You have, so far, been a welcome guest but elements of your last comment were in bad taste – I think it’s about time you returned to your own.

They will on the site like bees to honey (or is it flies to s**t) should they get a draw.

As I said in the post, the Spuds have a decent team, but ours is better. Should both teams play at their best we all know the result, but we have been stuttering at home and tomorrow will be a nail-biting experience

104. Red Arse says:

Well said Rasp. The stomach can only take so much!

Rasp. I am afraid I had to adjust some earlier comments and spam the most racist and foul mouthed (sadly the most racist was one of ours :-( )

Newcomer:
    gauge (not guage).
    tomorrow’s game (not tomorrows game – but don’t worry, lots of people struggle with apostrophes).
    thankful (not thankfull).
    illiteracy (not illiteraty).
    I (not i – as the nominative singular pronoun it takes a capital).
    embarrassing (not embarrsassing).
    gibe (not jibe – jibe with a ‘j’ means, in sailing, to shift from one side to the other when running before the wind).

You’re very welcome.

No charge.

107. Red Arse says:

Steady on Rocky, I am not sure you should be giving free spelling/grammar lessons to a Spud.

I quite enjoy pompous ne’er do wells digging themselves in! :-)

And that’s allowing you ‘fow par’ as a fiendishly cunning trick on your part as opposed to another mistake (although I’m not 100% convinced).

How you doing Redders?
    Newcomer’s first contribution to this site was to criticise the writing of today’s post.
    Glass houses and projectile stones come to mind…

110. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Perhaps he was confusing “gibe/jibe” with “gibberish/jibberish”, as he was certainly beginning to write the latter, whichever spelling regime he chose! :oops:

Any post that gets under a Spuds skin is well written IMO.

Hopefully I can engender a similar response tomorrow morning

112. Red Arse says:

I’m fine Rocky, enjoying your discourse, as usual!

I thought his “fow par” or faux pas, was intended as a fox’s pass! :-)

113. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

I doubt your beguilingly svelte style of writing a Post could possibly get under anyone’s skin, unless, of course, they are incredibly obtuse! :-)

Hi Raddy,

Thanks for your behind the scenes moderation – shame one of ours was involved. I think the testosterone point I made on the on a previous post applies – in fact, this week’s articles leading up to the game have all grown in relevance.

I gather that today’s post was tame in comparison to what you have lined up for us tomorrow :P

115. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Frankly all the comments today, perhaps because of Raddy’s stewardship, were pretty tame (Spuds or Gooners), when compared with the inane and offensive cr*p on the “other” blog site. :-(

Hi RA,

It’s a tricky one. There is some quite unpleasant stuff in moderation. I wouldn’t want my kids reading it or anyone new to the site to get the wrong impression by reading it.

We can’t be wrapped in cotton wool. Raddy’s post was befitting of a pre-derby post and the tone was mild in comparison to most (on both sides).

I do struggle to understand the motivation of those opposition fans who come on just to sling insults, but equally, I am impressed by the ones who understand that banter and rivalry can exist without ignorance and insults.

It will be an interesting game tomorrow. We definitely have too much for them if we turn up – but the West Brom and Geordies games are still a bit too fresh in the memory for me to feel really comfortable.
    Hopefully the derby atmosphere will prevent the boys from resting on their laurels. Or their hardies.

118. 26may1989 says:

Tottenham are on the right end of a pendulum swing, but it’s not us on the wrong end, it’s Liverpool. The only question is: will City’s cash buy the CL place Spurs would otherwise merit?

I quite like Spurs, and was pleased to see Beach Bum and Steve Palmer recall times when fans of the two clubs were, despite the rivalry, closer in some ways. I used to go to WHL as a neutral and enjoyed it, and I remember there being some guys in the 1970s who had season tickets at both. I’m still happy for Spurs to do well, if it’s not as good as us. Banter’s great (though abuse is boring), it’s just a shame the fans are so far apart these days.

Good point about the pendulum being versus Liverpool 26M. If ‘pool had stayed competitive it would have been very difficult for the Totts to get in the CL.

I really believe they won’t make it this year and that this will be their only CL season for quite some time.

I see Blackburn Rovers have been bought by some rich Indians. Who knows? If they get a big influx of cash (and a proper manager) maybe they’ll be vying for top four as well. It’s happened to them once before…

120. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Laurels or Hardies!! Brill!! :-)

In the spirit of BR’s post, I love that picture of Dave MacKay grabbing Billy Bremner by the collar in a Spurs v Leeds game back in the 1960s.
    I think the story was that MacKay was returning from a broken leg (first game back) and Bremner, adopting the standard approach of that early ’70s Leeds team, had gone in hard on MacKay’s previously broken leg in his very first tackle. Dave decided to have a polite word with Bremner about the tackle…

If I knew how to upload a picture here I would… maybe someone with better skills than me can do it.

122. 26may1989 says:

That reaction to a Bremner dangerous challenge just underlines that Wenger’s Arsenal are the true inheritors of Nicholson’s legacy. Only Wenger has made it last longer.

True enough. With two leg breaks in his career Mackay would be a perfect modern Gooner!

For you Rocky :)

Photobucket

125. Newcomer says:

That’s it? A couple of apostrophe””’s and a capital ‘i’? Illiteraty was intentional, I ended it with a ‘y’ instead of an ‘i’ which I acknowledged earlier. Not in the same stratosphere as you falling hook, line and sinker for such an obviously baited comment. Thanks again for biting.

Go away Newcomer, we’ve had enough of you, you’ve become boring. It was fine when you weren’t trying to be clever. We’re not that stupid to think that someone who had made a string of errors unintentionally would then do it on purpose – and even if you did … so what, it’s pathetic. Go and blog where people find you interesting. Your very presence on here is condemnation of the quality of totnum blogs.

Thanks Rasp.
    Twice.

What a shame Newcomer turned out to be such a twat, but I guess it is no surprise. Couldn’t even respond with dignity to Rocky’s learned put down, but it comes as no surprise does it? Perhaps he is not aware this is a football site not his 6th form college.

He deserves no respect whatsoever – not because he is a Spud but because he is a pedant (as in pedantic Newcomer)

And it really is a shame. Yesterday fun was had by having two intelligent chaps from the Dark Side who were prepared to talk football, not comment on the good English or otherwise of posters. FFS

Rasp. You have put up one f my all time fave pics. I had a mug printed with it on the side. Got stolen – probably by a Spud.

Hi Raddy,

Yes, I agree with you and Rocky, MacKay was a great guy. Steve Palmer’s tale @ 11:30 was brilliant and full marks to him for continuing his allegiance to the ‘greatest team in London’

Don’t bother trying to comment any further Newcomer, your last comment has been deleted and you are in ‘trash’ – I’m sure you will feel at home in there.

BR – It’s actually a bit silly to get into a dialogue about spelling and grammar, so I probably shouldn’t have engaged with dopey b*llocks.
    Being perfectly skilled in either or both is hardly a prerequisite for making sensible, informative and entertaining comments, and we all make grammatical errors from time to time. I know I does.
    And I don’t want to be snooty about grammar. It’s just that Newcomer, instead of saying something interesting about tomorrow’s game, made some pathetic comments about the quality of your post which is extremely well written and full of great banter.

Rasp. Tomorrrow’s post has none of the vitriol I thought it would.

Though once you have read it you may wish me to beef it up a bit. I haven’t even mentioned the crass, criminal, ugly, immoral and illiterate manager of theirs….

134. lee says:

WITH A PACKET OF SWEETS AND A CHEEKY SMILE

135. lee says:

realistically boys & girls can ar5ena1 get a result tomorrow?

OK Lee,

I assume you’re a mate of ‘Newcomers’, well done, you’ve just joined him in trash.

The muppets are keeping you busy today Rasp.

*busy

It would seem so Rocky. They are lucky I’m feeling generous because they are leaving a papertrail that is very easy to follow.

I have been tempted RAsp, but no matter how evil these children are, I cannot stoop to their level.

It shows how stupid some people can be that they don’t realise they leave a very clear spore.

Post in. Getting excited and need a few glasses of Merlot to get some sleep.

See you in the comments tomorrow.

It’s been emotional

Have I been binned?

The Arsene and Pat picture was badly timed, admittedly. I’d seen Rasp post the picture of Bremner and McKay and was trying it out to see if I could do the same from photobucket. Shame it coincided with that moron Lee’s stupid paedo comment.

I thought the tehtrunk North London Derby video was really funny though even though it was made by spuds.

Sorry for any offence. I am a gooner.

Thanks lee.
    Every day I wake up and thank god I wasn’t born a spud.

Rasp, hope you don’t mind but I took the liberty of doing a bit of policing with our friend lee.

No worries Rocky.

chas, sorry I may have binned you in the confusion. Hopefully you can comment without resriction from now on.

146. Evening chaps – Rasp you did a great job :D

147. Just heard an interesting anecdote on talksport – when did spuds get a win at Highbury and Arsenal not lose?

Unfortunately I had to go out for a while peaches, but luckily Rocky was on hand to bin some particularly unsavoury comments. This highlights the ramifications of becoming a busier site as per a recent discussion with one of our administrators.

149. 26may1989 says:

1981 FA Cup Semi Final!

150. Almost there 26may ……..

Thankyou Rocky xx

151. 26may1989 says:

OK peaches, if it isn’t that one, I’m stumped.

152. You’re really close …… it was actually the replay.

153. Great post by Tim on 7am kick off, I’ll link it again in the morning.

154. gunnern5 says:

Peaches how about the 1987 League Cup Semi Final???

155. 26may1989 says:

Bugger, I forgot about that!

156. gunnern5 says:

Well done Raddy a great post that generated
    the expected response from the under achievers down the road.

157. 26may1989 says:

Good answer GN5!

158. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Chas

That clip of the empty shite fart lane tickled my fancy :cool:

159. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oh, bloody hell :evil: I just flicked through the comments section, & see how much fun I’ve missed.

160. Morning gnarley – I’m going to move that clip into the video library.

Hiya GG. Yep, we’ve had some fun today.

162. I was just going to tell you that you missed some fun today :lol:

Now that Blackburn have been taken over by the Maharashtra-based Venkys corporation, when they play Twitchy’s finest will it be a case of Cowboys v Indians?

164. gunnern5 says:

26may; I created a spreadsheet on every game we’ve played against them so I was working with an unfair advantage – but then again it is my spreadsheet………….so I shouldn’t feel bad – eh?

165. gunnern5 says:

Rocky, can you believe that C. Ronaldo cost more than Blackburn.

166. SharkeySure says:

Wow – wot a day on AA to miss !!!

Excellent post Radders, no change there then !

Steve P, fantastic walk down memory lane that. Cheers.

Gn5 – that’s hilarious. Not sure who got the better deal.

Cows are sacred in India, so El-Hadji Diouf would like to let it be know that, henceforth, he will be unable to hit a horse’s arse with a banjo.

168. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Its been a nice sunny day today. One of those great to be alive type days :cool:

Now as the sun sits well & truely over the yard arm, I’m just chilling out with a nice frosty Carlsberg & cruisy jazz as I work on the PC.

And you know what, @ 11.30pm the Mighty Gooners will take to the pitch. Saturdays just don’t get much better. Well maybe if the Mighty Tigers were playing as well :)

169. dandan says:

Gnarley your not sitting in that little Hobart jail I was in last year are you. LOL Beautiful round there mate

Morning all.
    I see Nic has “been frozen out of the game today” and I see mixed messages from this.He didn’t play against Everton or midweek for Denmark, yet his father is allegedly spouting out all week that Bayern want him, and Bendnter himself has stated he wants regular first team football and is fit.
    AW on the other hand says he will play on Tuesaday at Braga,so is this a ruthless streak by him,though even at 95% fit Nic would have been expected to be in today’s squad.It does not bode well for the young Dane, who is still a long way from being an automatic first choice is the line up .What do you think ?

I see similarities with Anelka whose brother was his agent, and Nic’s father is his agent who appears to be his mouth piece.

171. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening dandan

No, Hobart is full of public servants & Greenies. Nice Town, but boring people. I prefer Melbourne for my weekends away :P

I must admit though England are looking well drilled & organised if your 2nd string bowling attack is any indication. Its not looking good for us, but its The Ashes so anything can happen :)

But to more pressing issues, I’m looking forward to tonights clash. Top of the League is the reward for good old fashioned hard work :D

COYRRR

All work, no play make Micky…..grrrr
    Good to be back and Good Morning All.
    Have kept up with posts, nice work everyone.
    BR,
    And exactly what kind of a formation is that then?

Wot ho Gnarley

Not happy Deefo is playing. JW or Den to partner Song?

Den for me. Good idea to have a cool head in the heat of battle.

….Fab
    Sag Squil JD Clichy
    ..Song Cesc Den
    Nas…Cham….AA

176. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Are you going MDI89?

GG,
    No. Next definate game for me is Fulham. Might get to one before.

Would like Villa away, but on the whole, weekdays are best for me.

179. gnarleygeorge9 says:

So it will be the tele like me.

Got a feeling about Cesc tonight/today. I’ve been hearing voices all day saying “brace, brace, Cesc, brace”

180. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Am I going crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy :twisted:

On the whole, I have always hated the NLD games. Form out of the window and too much pressure to really enjoy the game. I used to prefer winning at WHL!!

Going to pop out for the papers. Back shortly.
    As for the “voices” Gnarley, are you sure they are not saying “Song in the 93rd”?

183. gnarleygeorge9 says:

No definitely “brace, Cesc, etc, etc,” ;)

184. gnarleygeorge9 says:

“Arsenal and England midfielder Jack Wilshere has received a caution for common assault”

But the game is still 4 hours away ;)

185. Carlito11 says:

Morning all! How re we feeling? I’m quite confident but past experience tells me this is gonna be a grind and the stats guys say this fixture has been drawn more than any other in premier league history. I still think we will win with Nasri the key man. COYR

Carlito,
    A kind of low in the stomach sicky feeling. Its what Totteningham do to me! The usual things to say are that it will be won in midfield, or a defensive mistake here or there, but for me it will be down o the strikers. Both teams will create chances and the timing of those taken opportunities will be critical. Luckily, we have goalscores all over the pitch, which is what I believe will give us the edge. Laws of probability.

How are we?

Theres a NEW POST

188. SurreySpurs says:

Yes we probably will bring a DVD out!