Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City: Boo Boys Compared

Booing, when you think about it, is a very funny sound.

It’s the sort of sound a cow might make if it had a bad head cold.

And right now, around the more charmless corners of the Premier League, there has been quite an outbreak of snuffly Fresian behaviour.

The pale blue herd up at Middle Eastlands have been booing their little hearts out because their £350 million squad can’t rustle up a goal for love nor money. Well, actually, just for money – there’s not a single player at Man City who loves the club, although they all love their pay cheques.

Then, down the road in the pastoral idyll that is London N17, the all-white herd are just as noisily petulant because, in their case, they are feeling let down and betrayed: this was going to be THEIR YEAR. It really was – that top four finish was going to be a stepping stone to the League title, while the Champions League trophy would be scooped up along the way. The white herd, as is well known, is strongly infected with mad cow disease.

In both cases the booing is truly absurd.

Look at Citeh: Booed off at the weekend against Birmingham; booed off after drawing with Manchester United and at half time and full time when drawing with Blackburn; jeered off the pitch at half time when nil-nil at home to Wigan. I could go on but there are just too many examples to mention.

Sky Blues fans – what are you doing? Are you mad? You have spent years of your life loyally supporting a rubbish team that hasn’t looked remotely like winning anything for a generation and now, just because someone has come in and flashed his wad at you, you expect the earth?

Did you really think that all it takes to become a team of champions is to pay over-the-odds prices for greedy players looking for a mega payday, throw them all together and see what happens?

Chelsea managed it with Abramovich’s cash because (a) the league was not as competitive then and (b) Chelsea had the nucleus of a good team (which had already won silverware and competed in the Champions League before the Russian arrived).

City would probably be doing better now if they had kept the likes of Given, Ireland, Dunne, Elano and Bellamy and added some quality imports to that strong core. And yes I know Given is still there, but he’s not exactly first choice, is he?

I used to always like meeting Man City supporters because they had a great sense of cynicism and dark humour about the fortunes of their beloved club. Even their iconic anthem, Blue Moon, with it’s wistful, yearning air, reflected their understanding that they followed a club destined never to be fashionable or successful. And you know what? They hardly ever booed their boys back in the pre-lottery win days. Now look at them. Frankly it’s sad.

And then we move to our noisy neighbours, from whom we hear the sound of booing echoing over the rooftops of North London on an almost weekly basis – most recently after drawing with Sunderland last week.

Unlike poor Citeh, whose fans have had their heads turned by all that dough, the Spuds supporters have a long tradition of booing their team. They booed them under Ramos and under Jol and Santini and Pleat; they booed them under Hoddle and under Graham and Gross and Francis; they were probably booing them all the way back in 1898 under Frank Brettell, first in a long tradition of managerial failures at the mighty Cocks.

But they, too, need to ask themselves why they are booing their team this season of all seasons. They are in the champions league – a feat they will never achieve again in the lifetime of many of their fans – they are in the top seven in the table and are getting to see some decent players on a weekly basis (Bale, van der Vaart, Defoe, Modric, Kranjcar).

Don’t you Spuds realise that this is as good as it gets for you? And you’re STILL booing? Really, you deserve the club you’ve got and it deserves you.

Finally there’s Arsenal. One of the things I love about our club is that we don’t collectively boo the players off the pitch. When some sections of the crowd booed Emmanuel Eboue as he experienced a mid-game mental breakdown it caused an explosion of self-examination that continues in the blogosphere to this day.

Yes, there’ll be occasions when the team don’t exactly leave the pitch to a standing ovation, but collective booing by a large section of the Arsenal crowd is almost unheard of. (I have read reports of Arsenal being booed off at the end of games where I have been present and there was no booing – just muted applause. I can only imagine that some particularly dopey individual who likes to boo happens to sit near the press box).

Liverpool supporters hardly ever boo their team (and God knows, they have had reason to in the last few seasons). Nor do the supporters of Manchester United. Along with Arsenal, what those two clubs and their supporters have is history, and a touch of class. They know what success is, they have had high highs and low lows, but they also know their jobs as supporters.

Manchester City used to have class in a peculiar, downtrodden way, but the glint of money has stolen it from them.

The Spuds have never had it and they never will, so the mournful sound of booing from N17 will long continue to rival the chimes of Big Ben as one of the traditional sounds of Old London Town.

RockyLives

The England team were booed off the pitch at Wembley  last night. The France team which had a poorer World Cup than ours managed to look more like a football team than we did. What is more frustrating, the coach, the players or the media feeding the expectation of the supporters?

85 Responses to Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City: Boo Boys Compared

1. Carlito11 says:

Quality post RL- I always enjoy your way with words and this piece builds nicely on the recent theme of supporting rather than spectating with expectation. Poor old citeh fans- they’ll never be the same!

2. tommystout says:

Good post RL, i have to say i’ve boo’d a lot at the opponents and everytime i make the booing sound i feel a fool, so your cow cold idea has me in stitches.
    Booing your own players as a no no but did it have a positive effect on eboue?
    And remember that game when SuperNik missed that boat full of chances, i was expecting the crowd to boo, but the warm applause NIk got that game just underlined what classy fans we have!

3. Andy Mack says:

Citeh were boo’d because they were so negative and making even more negative substitutions. I think the support would be with them if they were 10th in the PL but playing decent football.

The Spuds were boo’d because their supporters are alway completely unrealistic (dumb-f*cks)!

4. lted says:

I wish that our crowd is more vocal when things have stalled. Really something missing from the highbury atmosphere . Other than that spot on with the article.

5. rishgoon says:

Well said. Liverpool fans don’t boo they just chant the names of ex-managers as they continue to find ways to keep living in the past.

6. 26may1989 says:

Excellent post Rocky, as Carlito says your phrasing is often excellent (I especially liked “an outbreak of snuffly Fresian behaviour”).

I still get pissed off thinking about the way some Arsenal fans used Eboue as a punchbag in that Wigan game (and for the record, it was the crowd turning on him after a single, minor error while he was being played out of position that caused his game to collapse, not the collapse in his performance that started the booing). We may be better than the deluded fools at Eastlands and WHL but we’re a long way from perfect.

7. 26may1989 says:

Re England v France last night, I think the problem is Capello has been so conservative since the World Cup failure and has broadly stuck with the old guard that failed so badly (and even brought in 33-year old Kevin Davies). New boy Laurent Blanc on the other hand ditched most of the ancien regime that humiliated the French people in the summer and, having suffered growing pains in the first few games (defeats to Norway and Belarus and some unconvincing wins against lesser sides), is now reaping the rewards of building a new team based on talented and motivated younger players. What we saw last night was a balanced and coherent French side that allows its talents to shine.

If Capello did the same with England (which he won’t) and ditched the likes of Gareth Barry while cultivating a new and young core, we might see similar development. But Capello seems to be more interested in the short term target of Euros qualification than building and developing a side for the future.

8. yidal says:

You dont boo but then again you dont make any sound at the Emirates (shhh)

The NLD is the only time you lot manage a collective murmur.

Arsenal have embarrassing fans tbh – even my gooner mates are ashamed at the lack of atmosphere (true story).

They also admit that the noise at WHL is more than impressive.

I like Rednapp but if every now and then there is a little boo from the crowd then he needs to get over himself and his ego because he should know its the fans who spend a fortune allowing the club to spend the money they do.

The flip side to having passionate fans (who boo every now and then) is that they are also the 12th man – Inter Milan was just another level of crowd noise.

So whilst I congratulate Arsenal on what has been a succesful period in recent times – I cant say that they have the fans to match.

Hi yidal,

Thanks for the comment.

I think your team and its fans are at a stage where it is easy to get ahead of yourselves. The idea of totnum booing one bad game is ludicrous and you suggesting that the manager should ‘get over himself’ because you believe that the money fans spend gives them any power over the running of the club is naive in the extreme.

The money fans pay is small compared to the TV revenues/merchandising etc. The money you pay will eventually be channelled into a bigger ground and more ways to extract revenue from supporters – it will also be used to nurture corporate facilities and a new breed of fans who will not be of the same ‘earthy nature’ as those of whom you are so proud.

10. charybdis1966 says:

Yidal, just to complete the plethora of clichés I want from you can you please say “You have not won anything for 5 years, therefore the shift in power in North London is complete”?
    That will complete your point of view nicely and supply it a beautiful symmetry.
    Thanking you in advance.

Hi chary,

I can’t believe I’ve just defended ‘arry to a totnum fan ;)

12. charybdis1966 says:

Hi Raspers, we can get these moral dilemmas occasionally.
    I know R Lives is in the land of nod at the moment but fine piece there today. It is a rather illogical sound to make when you think about booing. Perhaps whistles and cat calls would be less sissy?

I agree chary, whenever I am unhappy at a match, I release a stream of undignified expletives that would make Roy Chubby Brown blush – I don’t purse my lips and make like a bovine!

14. Smith14 says:

I don’t agree with booing, I think fans should encourage their team but, I can almost understand City fans anger. Yes, they have been useless for years and now they should think themselves lucky but as they have now got loads of money, you’d hope they’d play a slightly more exciting style. Playing 3 holding midfileders when you’ve got all the money in the world to try and buy exciting forward players would wind me up.

As for Arsenal, I have heard muted boos after games, like the Newcastle game recently. It wasn’t a concerted effort or anything particularly vociferous but it was collective anger at an inept performance. I don’t like it but I understood it at the time.

As for Tottenham, frankly who cares? I think their fans thought finishing fourth was signal that they’sd arrived and they now have a divine right to challenge for the title. They are now finding it harder to manage PL and CL and their fans are frustrated. It seems they want everything yesterday or, their realising they aren’t as good as they thought they were. It must be frustrating to know that yet another of their players actually wanted to play for us.

15. Wodderz says:

Hello guys,

I remember that Tommy, Nik B missed a hatfull of chances against Sunderland was it? Then the next game was in the champions league and bookies had him as like 10/1 to get his first shot on target.

The crowd at the emirates sang “Super Nicklas Bendtner” he gave ‘em a knowing applause and rewarded them with a hat trick lol.

16. Wodderz says:

**my point above, giving players support when they need it most can make something special happen.

As with the Eboue situation, I don’t know how he turned that around, he was playing poorly for quite awhile and just came through it after being booed pretty badly by the home crowd.

17. 26may1989 says:

“giving players support when they need it most can make something special happen”, spot on Wodderz.

Hello All
    Wodderz, I think Eboue was rested for a good few games after the booing-off experience. He had been playing very strangely for a few games and the team as a whole was not doing well, so he became the scapegoat for everyone’s frustration. I was there that day and did not boo him. In fact I felt so gutted for him I was applauding him off, even though he had played like a loony.

Tommy – Now booing the opposition, that’s a whole different thing. I’m very happy to do that. Do you remember the Liverpool game last season (I think) where the ref was crap and the entire stadium booed every Liverpool touch for the entire second half. It was so intimidating that none of the ‘Pool players looked like they wanted the ball.

Yidal – thanks for your comments. We’re aware that the atmos at The Grove hasn’t gelled yet. Look at yesterday’s post and comments and you’ll see some of the reasons why.

19. Red Arse says:

Thing is, a lot of things we (humans) do is in and of itself silly.

Greeting people and events we do not like in an unseemly manner is aeons old.

Booing has been likened, correctly, to the lowing of a cow; whistles and catcalls are closely linked, in many male minds, to unmanly or “girlish” behaviour; and of course blowing raspberries (with due deference to our boss Rasp :-) ) is a simile for farting at the “victim”.

All of it, including swearing, is very low brow, of course, and something our more cerebral selves would deplore, but if the truth be known, it is deeply satisfying to our baser selves, when our pent up anger or frustration needs to be vented and ensuring those feelings are made known to the “culprit”, who may actually be totally innocent.

We seek justice and fairness as part of a civilized society, but that aspiration goes out of the window, all too easily, when our animal instincts are not tightly controlled. :-(

20. Red Arse says:

Forgive my poor manners Rocky. I forgot to commend you for your fabulous prose! :-)

Your article was an interesting and amusing insight into the mindset of all fans, and I enjoyed it. Excellent! :-)

Thanks Redders. I hadn’t thought of raspberries as representing fart noises, but now you point it out it’s obvious. It would be quite funny to hear 60,000 people blowing raspberries at the opposition…

22. yidal says:

Rednapp is a great coach – no doubts about that and I do hold him in high regard.

But I think that he should show a little more respect to the fans and a little perspective (yes you could say Spurs fans could do the same) and realise it was just a small boo at the end (hardly fans throwing their season tickets on the pitch).

Lets also not forget as a collective of 35000 supporters there are always going to be slightly ignorent fans and it doesnt represent all fans opinions.

Ive never booed Spurs but if I was Rednapp I wouldnt have made a meal out of it and tarnished our fans with the same brush.

We had also picked up just 2 pts from 8 or 10 (something like that) so I think its more frutration than a boo for lack of effort or quality.

Also abusing Eboue continualy is probably worse but I appreciate that is not something all Arsenal fans do.

BTW clichés are not always false or inaccurate so why dont you lot start being more vocal about your own supporters rather than looking at ours.

23. tommystout says:

i think more and more people are using twitter now, players included – though in craig eastmonds case its not a good thing.
    If your interested please read the following article from a blog ive never heard of but its a quality read.

24. yidal – you obviously like it here, if you had a look at yesterdays post you’ll see we had a great discussion all day about how we could improve the atmosphere at the Emirates. You too will have similar problems eventually when you have a larger ground.

I’m certain we’ll be loud and proud when your lot visit on Saturday.

25. Melon Man says:

Isn’t booing (and indeed any loud noises) banned in public libraries???!!!

Joking aside, every team has it’s supporters who can’t see the consequences of not giving full support to the team or manager when all is not going to plan.

The sky four have had it cosy for so long, they have earned some breathing space with their fans, and this is a very commendable thing, which won’t last for ever – see Liverpool fans recently.

I am pissed off when City fans are less than supportive of Mancini and the players, but to suggest Arsenal fans are somehow “classier” is pushing it a bit – there’s always an undercurrent of discontent on radio phone-ins, on websites etc.. questioning Wenger’s future, development and purchasing policy etc.., so your club isn’t perfect when it comes to the support, and if you fail to win anything again this year, will only grow
    I guess if you’re going to wind up your nearest rivals, you might as well do it from a position of strength, I think you’ve got a valid point, even if you do come across as a bunch of sanctimonious, smug, holier – than – thou gits.

Hi MM,

Thanks for the comment and the polite insult – we’ve been called a lot worse.

You can only boast when you’ve got something to boast about. If I asked any citeh fans whether they’d feel more satisfied if success had arrived by virtue of the great tradition of the club or via a few billion pumped in from a Middle Eastern magnate who has no history with the club or indeed football – I think we both know the answer. Citeh’s current position has been arrived at by an attempted ‘buy success policy’. I can’t believe the money that’s already been wasted on mediocre players (Adebayor, thanks for that).

We can be smug about the fact that we have painstakingly built our team and we play football that entertains more than just our own fans.

Yidal – Far from Eboue being regularly booed, since he was booed off that time he has turned into a cult figure (particularly loved by the travelling support).

28. Trev Heff says:

Yidal – firstly fair play to you for coming onto one of your bitter rivals blogs and having the ability to contribute to a decent discussion without resulting to abuse and insults, something too many idiot ‘supporters’ from both our clubs feel the need to do.
    Secondly, the NLD is not the only game we generate a rip rouring atmosphere, don’t kid yourself. I would admit we have an issue with the smaller games at times but we generate a very noisy atmosphere in all the big games. The Lane is built for atmosphere, tight compact with closed in corners. Highbury the complete opposite with open corners allowing noise to escape.
    I’ve always had a begrudging respect for the noise and atmopshere created at WHL, but lets face it, if you can’t generate noise at a ground built at the Lane is then you won’t generate it anywhere!! If you do eventually move to a new 50-60,000 stadium and the additional of far too many prawn sandwich brigade members that come with it (which, by the way, you will sadly need to help pay for it) and the added challenge of generating noise around a much vaster space, let us know then how your atmosphere compares as right now you are not compating like with like. One piece of feedback if you want to keep the atmosphere, lobby your club to keep the away end close to the most vocal of the home support. This is something that is missing at the Emirates I believe compared to Highbury and detracts from the atmopshere and banter.
    As for the general topic of booing, I’m not really sure what the England ‘supporters’ thought they were achieving booing a side full of young inexeperienced lads making their first tentative steps in International football? I think booing has it’s place (never done it myself) but should be the exception rather than the norm. It’s almost become fashionable and in my opinion is stupid and counter productive. If you see your players constantly under performing and not putting the effort then sure, boo teh hell out of them, they deserve it. But a couple of poor results or a defeat for a team for of new players? Have a word with yourselves please!!!

Yidal – who do you think Bale will be playing for next season?

29. yidal says:

Bale – there arnt many players who would repeat every time they get asked that he is only looking at being at Spurs for at least the next 4 years (look on news now Spurs if your interested).

Also because of the shocking start (and I only relate to stats – ie no wins in prem for 2 years) that he had with us, I think will make him reluctant to consider a new start somewhere else.

He must be enjoying his football to under Rednapp and combining with Modric & VDV in the way they do. We play a great brand of football to so Im confident for the next 2 – 3 years he will be with us.

Then I think it will come down to what we are competing for and if its not at the top yeh he might consider somewhere else.

Then it comes down to who can afford 40, 50, 60m depending on how he’s trending at the time – not many clubs can afford that other than City & Real.

Spurs have also only sold when players come outright and say they want to leave like Berba & Carrick so as long as he’s happy it should be ok.

That said you know what its like with CF – the media will do everything in their power to unsettle him : (

30. yidal says:

Yeh fair points re stadia and I think Spurs have studied quite a bit why WHL is so loud (you do still need the crowd to sing though ;)

They also bought in some real acoustical designers for the Lane project – I just hope we dont end up moving.

31. 26may1989 says:

That thing about Bale not being in a winning Spurs side for ages was just superstitious rubbish – football’s a team game after all. How many other Spurs players featured in most, perhaps all, of the games in question? It was just a quirk that Bale happened not to be in a winning side for a while, but one even his manager went on about, which can’t have helped a young player’s confidence develop. Bale always was a class act, it’s a shame people didn’t believe in him in the first place.

He seems a nice lad too, and despite the hype will probably behave less like a tosser than the likes of Ashley Cole, but I’d still be surprised if he’s at WHL in two season’s time.

32. Trev Heff says:

Lets not kid ourselves that players decide if they stay or go?!? It’s down to their agent isn’t it?!?!

As modern day footballers go, Bale does on face value seem to be more grounded than most, but lets see what happens when a big boy comes knocking and the big wage is wafted under his nose. As for the club, with finance in mind and the stadium project, despite the ‘not for sale’ overtures I think you’d do business for anything of £30m+. Either that or a swap deal with Eboue…….

Trev H: swap for Eboue: :)

34. tommystout says:

why is i’d rather read blogs and tweets than get on with my work. Not cool.

35. charybdis1966 says:

Have I missed Melon Man then?
    I was looking forward to more of his never-before-heard pearls of wisdom.
    As for the “Sky4” did he not see last year’s Sky Sports promos for the 2009-10 season showing the big 4 as comprising ManUre, the Dippers, the Chavs & your Middle Eastlands rabble of egos, mercenaries and assorted malcontents muck- raked from all corners of Europe ?
    SkySports had assumed it would be us who would drop out of the top 4.
    The fact we finished 3rd last year irritated Sky no end and the fact we compete within our self generating financial means(and not due to the largesse of a middle eastern family with a questionable human rights record) grates even more with the Arsenal hating media and little Englanders who call us Le Arsenal.

Long may this hatred of us continue – it goes with the territory and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

36. Boomz? says:

Arsenal fans dont boo? What a lie, stop turning a blind eye towards yourself, stupid. BTW we boo when the team dosent perform, we applaud when the team performs. Its kinda like a boss screamin at ya, when ur performance is bad and vice versa.

37. Boomz? says:

article* and terrible*, maybe i should have read before publishing, something i am sure u didnt do.

38. 26may1989 says:

Seeya Boomz, there’ll be someone interested in what you have to say, just no-one here.

39. Matt says:

Hi guys,

I was at the Spurs vs Sunderland game.. There was booing towards the end of the second half & at the final whisle.. But as far as I could make out, these were all directed at Howard Webb, who one again managed to make a right hash of some important decisions.. Think we’ve been booked 3 times for diving in recent weeks, for perfectly legitimate penalties..

We all knew we actually had played well in that match.. Think the stats showed us to have 7 shots on target, 11 off target & 17 corners. The only thing that cost us a result was a school boy error by Kaboul & Gallas, leading to their equaliser.. Until then we had domintated possesion & chances.. Sunderland were made to look very poor. It was just a shame that we had not had a penalty a few minutes earlier to put the game to bed. But that is football and we need to start finishing these kind of games off.

Anyway, NLD this Saturday.. Obviously looking for a spurs win, although not too confident tbh.. But i am guessing it will be a blinder.. & Gallas will score, not sure at which end though..

Hi Matt,

Thanks for engaging in the debate. I am pleasantly surprised by the way you and yidal have joined in the spirit of things on here. More often than not, we get muppets like Boomz that let themselves and your club down. Is there a totnum equivalent of this site? – I’d quite like to have a look and see what they’re debating today.

Matt – that’s a fair point. I have been at Arse games where the ref has been loudly booed off the pitch only to read it written up as the crowd booing the team. I don’t know whether the hacks are genuinely mistaken or whether it’s just a better story to pretend that the team were booed.
    That said, you can’t deny that you lot have booed your own team on a fairly regular basis.
    It will be interesting seeing Gallas come back in a white shirt. He was never the most popular player with us so I expect he’ll get a hard time.

42. tommystout says:

i doubt if tottingham boys would like to lay claim to Boomz, Rasp !

My main worry is that Gallas will kick Nasri up in the air following some recent comments Nas made about WG. Mind you, Nasri can look after himself…

44. tommystout says:

Rocky, Can anyone keep the ball quite like Nasri, its not often i see him disposessed, his quality & speed will keep him clear of Gallas, and if Gallas does have an agenda he will be so late in his challenge that he’ll be booked.

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for another top notch post as per usual.

Nasri said that he didn’t talk to Gallas for 2 years in the dressing room I believe. He also said that he wasn’t the only one. Good riddance I say. I don’t think he’s that popular at totnum. Strange because it has to be admitted that Sol is every bit as much a mercenary as Gallas but we have far more affection for the ‘ex-spurs captain’ for some reason :lol:

Hope so Tommy. Nas is in his best ever form and will have a big part to play on Saturday. The more progressive he is, the more Bale will have to help out defensively.
    I fancy Sagna to do a good job on containing Bale, although he did play pretty much a full game last night.

Cheers Rasp. The thing with Sol is that although he was a mercenary as you say, I think he was hunting glory rather than dosh and he knew he would get it with us and not with them.
    I think all Gooners remember the sheer joy of seeing the outrage that erupted in N17. It was a brilliant coup by Dein and Wenger.

48. 26may1989 says:

I don’t know Rocky, looking at the way Sol played both Spurs and us with winding down his contract, I’d say he is pretty clued in when it comes to making sure he does well financially. That’s not really a criticism, those running football clubs can’t be misty-eyed or naive in managing these things, I just think when Sol left Spurs he was determined to get the silverware and, by securing a Bosman exit, plenty of cash too. And when he left us first time around, it was on terms that likewise maximised his income. Even when he left us second time around, he probably ensured he got the best (and last) pay-out he could get at his age.

49. Rohan says:

Not so sure our fans as classier per se. Pop on ever to the other blog. :D

50. yidal says:

Triffic Tottenham is a more balanced site and actually very well written articles buy a couple of the bloggers (not all).

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of banter but there will always (on both sides) be a few idiots.

:lol: Rohan – it takes all sorts!

52. Matt says:

Yeah, “Triffic Tottenham” is good…Or there’s “Dear Mr Levy” (Tottenham – It’s Kinda Like Purgatory), that’s a good one too, some well written articles on both.. Although obviously both are written from a spurs view point.

I think it’s the same with most teams in football, we all love our clubs.. But some can discuss football, without being totally misguided by the feelings for their club. Believe it or not, I find most spurs & arsenal fans i meet quite balanced (if they know their football as a whole), but there will always be the people who you can not have an reasonable conversation with in all walks of life..

Worst of luck for the weekend guys.

Cheers Matt – ditto to you. It’s been good having you and Yidal on here today to give us the view from the enemy trenches. Come back any time.

54. Carlito11 says:

Jack reckons he should be fit for Saturday- Denilson’s been talking the game up too (on twitter). I don’t think I’ll be able to get any work done until after the weekend- I’m far too hyped!

55. Carlito11 says:

Great discussion today- it’s like that game between the Tommies and the Fritzes at Christmas in WWI! Ceasefire over in 24hours… :-)

56. Rohan says:

Nasri will rip the Spuds a new one. He’ll be up for this one, make no mistake. The lad’s special.

Personally I’m going for a 4-0 hammering with a Nasri brace, an Arshavin screamer and a RvP penalty at the death.

Hi Carlito. Yep, in 24 hours the guns open up. And we know which side has the best Gunners, don’t we?

It’s a bit of a dilemma as to whether Jack should start on Saturday. He was off the pace at Everton and is getting over a knock. On the other hand he was the best player on the pitch when we beat the Spuds in the CC a few weeks ago.

58. Carlito – give up on the work for the next few hours I reckon you could be our twitter correspondent :D

Rohan – we can dream can’t we :D

Fine post Rocky.

As far as I am concerned there is no possibility of a cease fire. Deguello is all I think of when the NLD comes around…

To those of you who haven’t been raised on a diet of old Cowboy movies Deguello means “no quarter given and a fight to the death”.

We should give those ***** from the Lane the hiding they have needed since that scurvy little ex-Arsenal runt jammed his last goal at the Grove. Oh, I forgot – we have already done it once this season :-D

60. Hi Rocky – some great lines in your post today. I particularly chuckled at ‘The white herd, as is well known, is strongly infected with mad cow disease.’

I bet you wish you were over for this one, will you have somewhere to watch it as its earlier in the day?

61. Hi Raddy – bet you wish you were here too. I’ve managed to sit on the vitriol today but I’m not sure I can be so well behaved for much longer :P

Peaches. I will write the pre-match for Friday, and perhaps something a little more abusive and rousing for Saturday if that s OK with you….

And of course I wish I could be there. Watching it in a pub with 50 people screaming at a screen is nowhere near as much fun.

If we are hanging onto a one goal lead come the final 10 mins I can’t take the tension and have to go for a walk!

It is weird but somehow I feel I can assist the players when I am at the ground shouting and singing.

Peaches. Oh I just remembered the post I wrote that is in drafts. It only really works for this week (have you read it?),

64. gunnern5 says:

Peaches: Rocky will have no problem seeing the game it’s live on TV at 7:45 am, followed by Man U / Wigan.

65. Just read it Raddy, sorry it could have gone up today you must be thinking. We were awash with posts after my call to arms last week. We could double post tomorrow or save all our tots stuff for Saturday. If we double post i can close the comments and link back to one or other of the posts.

How about we go early with the post in drafts – I can publish it at 8.30 GMT and post the preview around 1p.m GMT.

Does that work for you??

I think it could be fun to be a little more aggressive on Saturday – perhaps we could get Chary to write it :-)

68. Thats sounds perfect Raddy, publish the first one as early as you like and then the pre-view can go up at midday even. It would be good to get some vitriol from chary but he might mot be up for writing it – I’ll text him.

Hi Peaches. Yes, I would love to be there, but c’est la vie. I’ll be watching on the box. I’ve managed to catch all our games this season on the TV over here (apart from Wolves, when I was travelling).

BR: Deguello – I love it. Totally off topic, but what’s your top five Westerns of all time?

Speaking of Westerns, ‘High Noon’ is probably most appropriate for this weekend.

Or ‘The Good, The Bad and The Twitchy’.

71. SharkeySure says:

I salute you Rocky….another masdterpiece.

“will long continue to rival the chimes of Big Ben as one of the traditional sounds of Old London Town” – brilliant !!

Cheers Sharkey. What do you reckon on the team for Saturday?
    I’d go with:

Fabianski
    Sagna, Squid, Djourou, Clichy
    Cesc, Song, Denilson
    Nasri, Chamakh, Arshavin

Rocky,

I take it you are aware that kozzer is available? He received a 2 match ban: 1 for the straight red for denying a goalscoring opportunity and the 2nd because he has already had one red this season.

74. 26may1989 says:

I’m going for:

Fabianski
    Sagna Squillaci Koscielny Clichy
    Song Denilson
    Nasri Fabregas van Persie
    Chamakh

I know, I know, RvP’s unlikely but what the hell.

Hi Rasp. Yes, and I really like Kozzer. But with the likelihood of the Giraffe playing for them, I’d feel more comfortable with JD’s height for this one.

My other dilemma was Wilshere/Denilson. I just have a feeling that Jack needs a bit of a rest – not so much from the physical strain as from the emotional strain of all the attention he’s had lately.

I’ve said this for a while, but I don believe AA is just about to return to his best. If he finds the back of the net early he could be devastating, particularly if he has Nasri and Cesc to bounce off. I’d also play Denilson and leave Jack on the bench.

77. Carlito11 says:

My team
    fab2
    sagna the squid big johan clichy
    song denilson
    nasri fabregas arshavin
    chamakh/ van persie
    really can’t decide up front- my heart says rvp but chamakh is hard to dislodge. I reckon the ruddy-cheeked halfpint is in a bit of form and has to start even if he gets an early sub when he runs out of steam.

78. Carlito11 says:

Took me a while to write that one on the phone rasp- great minds :-)

I’m with you both (Raspers and C11) as regards Arsh. He’ll come good.
    I would start Chamakh and keep RvP to come off the bench in the second half if we need him. Likewise Theo.

80. 26may1989 says:

Rasp, I agree AA is on the verge of hitting some form, and that would be all the more effective coming off the bench once the Spurs defenders are niced and knacked.

81. 26may1989 says:

The bench is going to be pretty strong too: Szczesny plus six from Arshavin/van Persie, Walcott, Wilshere/Denilson, Djourou/Koscielny, Gibbs, Rosicky, Eboue, Bendtner

And they should be something like:

Gomes
    Hutton Kaboul Gallas Assou-Ekotto
    Modric Jenas/Palacios Bale
    vd Vart
    Pavlyuchenko Crouch

Definitely beatable…..

82. Matt says:

Come on guys.. We all know the CC doesnt count & you know the score line was flattering after the penalties and having to get Arshavin / Nasri etc involved to get the job done in extra time against A 3RD team spurs outfit.

Tomorrow is the real deal.. & i can twait. As said previously, it’ll be a great game, no matter what the result. A clean sheet for us spurs would be lovely, but unfortunately only a distant fantasy..

83. [...] Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City: Boo Boys Compared [...]