Fabulous Fabianski – at least for now – and three points in the bag.

Football never ceases to amaze me.  Last night, many supporters were full of trepidation to see if we could bounce back after two disappointing and lack lustre performances and while it wasn’t exactly a bounce it was a hard fought three points.

We didn’t have to wait long as within the first minute an exquisite cross from Song found Chamakh and he powered the ball into the back of the net.  I would argue that was the best header of the season by any of our players.

Within five minutes, Arshavin should have wrapped the game up with a one on one with Hahnemann but as is so often the case, it wasn’t to be, and that gave Wolves renewed confidence and they slowly but surely came more into the game.

We showed defensively that we could give as good as we got. The back four, notably Sagna and Squillaci, seem vastly improved in recent weeks and although Djourou showed why he is fourth choice with some errors of judgement in the first half, he improved as the game progressed.

It was a great game to watch (possession 50% each) and showed not for the first time this season that on any given day there is not much difference between the sides at the top and the bottom of the premiership. The hope is that while we are not at our most fluent we are right in the mix and still have key players to regain full fitness and form to return to the side.

I would say that the save Fabianski made in the 90th minute was world class and overall he had a truly excellent game, all credit to him for showing “mental strength” after last Sunday.

Fabregas was sadly not at the races and hopefully it is just that he is ring rusty and not thinking elsewhere. His tackle will be discussed by many, but the tackle on Arshavin was worse and has not received the same level of scrutiny by the media.

If there has to be a man of the match it has to go to Fabianski for a near faultless performance and a close second to Chamakh for his brace. He may have drifted in and out of the game but he did what I had hoped he would do, take the opportunities when presented, as a striker should.

Next up Everton, and hopefully with Nasri, Walcott and RVP thrown into the mix, the omens are promising.

Written by kelsey

Rasp’s player ratings for you to disagree with….

Fabianski 9

Sagna 7

Squillaci 8

Djourou 7

Clichy 6

Song 6

Fabregas 6

Wilshere 7

Arshavin 6

Rosicky 6

Chamakh 8

132 Responses to Fabulous Fabianski – at least for now – and three points in the bag.

Lovely pictures,rasp ;)

2. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, the Arsenal players obviously read ArsenalArsenal as Chamakh must have been listening to my discussion with Raspers/Kelsey(cheers for the write up) about how he had become less direct and averse to trying for headers compared to his approach in earlier games.
    Now Marouane, as I’ve obviously got your ear, can you sort out your mullet ?

Great write up kelsey, thanks.

I think there were a lot of positives to take from that game, it was a hard fought victory and we came away from Molineux with a clean sheet thanks to some great defending by The Squidgey One and excellent shot stopping by Fabianski.

Even though Djourou was out of position a couple of times in the first half his heading ability cannot be questioned – in the second half he was really strong and his bonce was resposible for clearing the area more than once. He even had a shot on goal when he and Squidgey combined to show why they are defenders and not strikers ;)

I watched the game on a stream which had limited sound and it was marvelous to hear the away supporters singing their hearts out when I watched the re-run on MOTD. The players must love to hear them singing when they’re away :D

Morning,

Excellent match report kelsey ;)

We won a very hard fought game – fantastic

We got 3 points – excellent

Fabianski is one of the best shot stoppers in the prem – Arsene was right, full credit to them both

We were very lucky – fact

We forgot how to keep possession of the ball when we needed it most – inexplicable

We still have at least 1/3 of the players not in top form – encouraging

I also watched it on a stream in italian with no sound whatsoever,which took the atmosphere away a bit, but anyway I hope you generally agree with what I wrote.

6. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, I do agree with your report and analysis, very well done. :-)

Still trying to get my head around – watching it in Italian, with no sound. Damn cunning those Italian stallions! :-)

7. Timothy says:

Fabianki for ever alumunia goodbye from kenya

Hi kelsey,

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve added some player ratings.

9. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

You are absolutely right giving credit to Djourou. As in the last couple of games he played, his heading was key and his tackling has improved too.

It was weird that he was dropped for the Newcastle game when Carroll’s aerial ability was their key weapon.

Hi Timothy,

Yes, it should be goodbye to Almunia, particularly since Szczesny signed a new contract yesterday and must have been given some assurances.

11. What to do about Fabregas? The tackle was very bad and part of me thought that missing three games would be good for him ……… he looks so worried all the time and he walks with his head down ……..

Rasp ;)

12. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

I don’t know if you saw the McCarthy interview after the game, but he said the difference between the two sides was Fabianski.

Allowing for the exaggeration, that’s quite some compliment to Fab2! :-)

13. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Where did you hear about Chezzer’s new contract? I saw LG mentioned it yesterday, but I have seen nothing in this mornings papers.

14. Morning RA

It was strange watching with no commentary, we’re programmed to expect to hear one when watching on tv. I remember when I took my son to his first game he was really upset that he couldn’t hear a commentary.

15. Red Arse says:

Peaches, :-)

Morning RA,

They (LG) have reported it as ‘fact’ today, I hoping they’ve got their facts right :P

I did red arse.

I never give rating but in general i would agree with rasp except song must move up a point if only for the vision and quality of the cross, allowing the game had literally just kicked off.

i agree with peaches that cesc looks like a man concerned over something.Barcaitis perhaps.

Ok kelsey – but I’m not changing it :lol:

Cesc walks with his head bowed looking at the ground when there are breaks in the play. He doesn’t look like a happy bunny. He is putting in maximum effort but something is missing.

19. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

Cesc’s lack of form is a worry because he is without doubt the engine room of the team. I am no psychologist, I can’t even spell it, but I wonder if a reaction to his summer long transfer battle, and then no-go has kicked in.

You are right in saying he hangs his head and does not look happy.

20. Red Arse says:

Rasp, I saw Pedro leaking the news on LG yesterday, and Geoff has it as an “exclusive” today, but when I asked if it would be confirmed today by Arsenal, I received no reply.

I hope they are right!

21. Steve Palmer says:

Sounds like i watched it on the same stream as you, but watched it again later i think they call it shitstream.
    I recon Our Cesc is suffering with a condition called Analogy Syndrome, its a condition thats like a mirrow image, in laymans terms it means Cesc is watching young Jack hitting the headlines with his enthusiasum and passion and feels he needs to push himself to the point that its affecting his own performance, Jack has come in when Cesc’s Hamstring plays up and has fitted in well, as soon as Cesc is fit again, Jack fits in behind him, taking second fiddle, you may ask what qualifications i have for my diagnosis, absolutly none i made the name up but i think its pretty close to the truth.

22. charybdis1966 says:

Re. The Chesney signing all I could see was a link from Libal football referring to a story in the Daily Mirror. I think it’ll be announced today on arse.com aka Pravda.com.

23. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for the write-up Kelsey, summarises everything nicely. A good, solid three points with a battling performance. We should have been more clinical up front, Arshavin and Fabregas in particular, but nice to see the players not panic after Sunday.

Fabregas could easily have been sent off for a challenge that looked very similar to Joe Cole’s on Laurent Koscielny. But neither Cesc’s challenge nor Essien’s on Dempsey were as bad as Lee Cattermole’s on Modric on Tuesday, for which he only got a yellow.

Watchnig the highlights of Newcastle’s game against Blackburn was galling – where the Geordies’ defensive midfielders and defenders had been fantastic against us, they were a joke last night. Que sera sera etc.

24. Tim says:

Fabianksi was unquestioably man of the match. Great mental strength to bounce back from Sunday’s howler the way he did. Well done, Lukasz.

In many ways, I’m more pleased with last night’s battling performance than I would have been if we had strolled to an easy win. Make no mistake, Wolves battered us for long spells and if we had played the way we did on Sunday, we could easily have lost 2-1 or 3-1.

Now we need more of the same at Everton on Sunday!

25. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I just went back and saw your ratings list.

I would reverse the Squid and Djourou’s scores but no major arguments. EXCEPT ……..!

You gave Clichy a “7”. NO, NO, NO mon ami, qu’il est impossible!

I watched Clichy, carefully, on my recording this morning, because I could not believe my eyes last night, and anyway I was too happy to care, but I honestly felt like screaming at him watching the game again.

He, time after time, stands close to our CB, and at least 15 metres away from both the touchline and the opposing winger, every time the ball comes out to his side of the pitch.

The inevitable result? The Wolves player had all the time in the world to look up and cross, or to play a neat “one two” past him, and then crossed.

Given an aerial assault into our box is still our achilles heel, ( see Carroll on Sunday), I cannot forgive his stupidity, no matter what else he does. Score? Max 5!

RA,

I think you’re right, 7 is too much for Clichy, I’ve reduced it to 6. Player ratings by consensus, another AA first!

I believe all the players given a 6 are, and have been, below form all season = 5 out of 11

27. Red Arse says:

Morning 26,

It seems to be my morning for being a slightly dissenting voice.

I agree with 99% of your comment above, except for the Cattermole tackle.

This is not intended to be an anti-Spuds comment, but I watched the extended highlights of the Spurs/Stoke game, which did concentrate quite a bit on “that” tackle.

Cattermole went into the tackle hard, but his foot definitely contacted the ball and compressed it into the ground before bouncing off and up into the air, where he caught Modric a fairly innocuous blow on the thigh.

By his own admission, Modric said he could see what was about to happen and launched himself into the air, to keep his feet off the ground and avoid injury. All this in the micro second when he himself was supposedly going into the tackle.

Rubbish! I am with the ref on this one, even if I cannot tell who I dislike more, the ref or sly ‘Arry. :-)

Had AA not been smart enough to anticipate the challenge yesterday and had he been weight bearing on that leg, he would almost certainly have sustained a break. Cesc was lucky to stay on the pitch, of that there is no doubt, but the AA tackle was far worse.

29. Red Arse says:

Rasp, it’s a deal! :-)

I also watched the boring Mancs game last night too, as I could not get a stream for Arsenal, and the comparison to Evra’s positional play and Clichy’s is like chalk and cheese.

What to do with Clichy. Is he daft or playing to Pat Rice’s instructions? Maybe you are right after all, it’s all Pat Rice’s fault! :-)

30. 26may1989 says:

Morning RA. You are of course wrong ;)

It’s a long time since contact with the ball meant any challenge could be legitimate, and as you say yourself, Modric had to take evasive action in order to avoid the full force and effect of that challenge. Change the names around, make it Eduardo instead of Modric and Taylor instead of Cattermole – would that challenge have been ok if Eduardo had been able to lift his leg before the moment of impact? No I say to you!

And anyway, the contact he made with Modric’s thigh wasn’t innocuous. Plus it was Sunderland, not Stoke!

I don’t like agreeing with ‘Arry, but he was right.

31. Poggin says:

Great shot-stopping from Fabianski, and it’s great to see. I was excited about him when he arrived from the reports and you-tube, and always wanted him to get the no. 1 spot. Several horror shows later, I now need serious convincing. I noticed last night at one point he was on his line waiting for a corner, the wolves players crowding the box, and he couldn’t seem to assert himself, he looked fragile and had none of the presence or assurance of the top keepers. Combined with the Carroll moment last week, I’m worried that Fab may pull off spectacular saves, but won’t have the size, strength or presence to deal with the crosses or the crowded-box situation. I’m also not sure he will be the man to marshall the defence. To me, Szczesny looks more the real deal, bigger, more naturally confident, at least as good a shot-stopper, and I’m pretty sure he’ll develop more presence than Fab will. My worry is, given Wenger liking to be proved ‘right’ by Fab and not seeming to like changing keepers till the incumbent literally starts chucking the ball into his own net, we’ll end up with a keeper who makes enough quality saves never to be dropped but never gives us the command and presence at the back to make us title winners. All while we may well have the real deal scowling away on the bench, too. Bit gloomy after a great performance from Fab, though! Anyone?

32. 26may1989 says:

Interesting to see the reaction to Fabianski’s performance last night – good as his performance was, I thought almost all of his saves were ones you’d expect your keeper to make. It was only the one at the end that represented something genuinely special.

Truth is, as Rasp observed, Fabianski’s a top grade shot stopper but, as Poggin says, there’s nothing to suggest he’s going to overcome a tendency for errors any time soon. Szczesny looks very interesting, let’s hope his potential is realised and with him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

Hi 26m, I agree with you and Poggin. Sadly, if Fab2 were 2 inches taller he’d be able to impose himself more in the area, but since he isn’t, it will always be his weakness. He could be as good as Shay Given in time, but I think Szczesny could be as good as Schmeichel, and that’s top top class.

…. Maybe I should have said Seaman instead of Scmeichel?

35. Red Arse says:

26,

I think you should be a lawyer, (are you) as your argument would appear to rely solely upon imputing thought processes or an ignorance of the Laws of the Game that I absolutely refute.

This could become a somewhat sterile debate, which I am sure neither of us would want, and which frankly I don’t care that much about.

Having already said I agreed with 99% of your earlier comment, can we now both agree to differ, and remain friends? :-)

36. 26may1989 says:

Fabianski “could be as good as Shay Given in time, but I think Szczesny could be as good as Schmeichel, and that’s top top class” – Rasp pithily captures the point perfectly.

And sorry if this seems controversial, but Schmeichel was better than Seaman. In fact, Schmeichel was the best keeper I have seen in 35 years of watching football.

37. Red Arse says:

Rasp, isn’t Fab2 6’4″ as opposed to Chezzer 6’5″?

There is one good reason why so many of our players showed more grit last night, and that reason is gloves.

I agree 26m, that’s why I said Schmeichel, I only added the Seaman bit for those who don’t want to be disloyal.

40. 26may1989 says:

Always friends RA, no worries about that! And I came out on this site as a lawyer a while ago, so am happy to confirm I am of that persuasion. One of the good things about my job is the fondness we have for an argument; one of the less good things is that we’re often quite happy for the discussion to be sterile – but you’re right, I won’t reopen discussions on this topic!

RA,

Fabianski is listed as 6ft 3in on wiki – I don’t believe it, maybe 6ft 2in, he seems scarcely taller than squidgy when they stand together. Szczesny is 6ft 5in – similar size to Joe Hart.

42. Red Arse says:

Now on that 26, we do agree!

It always rankled with me that Gorgeous George had first dibs on Schmeikle, but he decided that he had enough GK cover, and referred him to his great friend Purple Nose, who’s job at Arsenal he had just “pinched”.

It’s a question of degree, of course, because Seaman was a superb GK, but Schmeikle was that bit better!

26.5.89
    “One of the good things about my job is”…sending out massive bills :-)

44. 26may1989 says:

RA, Wiki reckons Fabianski is 6’3″ (the same size as Brad Friedel and 3″ taller than Given) but it does confirm that Szczesny is 6’5″.

And Micky, I take it you liked all the scarves our lot were wearing last night as well.

Rasp,
    Yeah, I’m a bit supprised about the 6’3″ bit, but it is an ideal height to combine getting both up and down, if you get my drift.

46. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha Micky! I have a nice juicy bill on my desk just waiting to go out – that’s what I call job satisfaction….

Don’t worry though, value for money is ensured – just don’t ask my clients…..

A bit harsh some of the comments on Fabianski.All decent keepers are shot stoppers and he had an excellent game.I think it is still fresh in the mind that carroll towered over him on Sunday, and it reads as some are willing for him to make yet another mistake.
    That 90th.minute save was fantastic and he held the ball as well.
    The one and only hasn’t had the immense pressure that Fab has had so let’s wait and see.
    Given and Reina aren’t the tallest either.

I don’t believe he’s 6ft 3in Micky. Conveniently, the player’s heights are not listed on Arse.com

49. 26may – 11.33 great comment :lol:

50. …. and polonecks ……….

51. futbal says:

wilshere does not deservr a 7.What did he bring the the match yesterday.We are always overrating him to our detriment.As an englishman, I admit i get carried away when i see him play but his performance are no better than denilson at 18 fact.Leave our keepers alone.Every goalie makes mistakes, I dont hear manure supporters calling for the pensioner VDS to be sold.Hes made more howlers this season that all our goalie combined have

Hi futbal,

We are about to post a lighthearted exploration of the ‘science’ of player ratings. It is subjective, but it makes sense to rate a player by their own standards. If player A is at his absolute best he should get a 10 etc etc. By that standard, I think Jack’s discipline and unselfish work deserved a 7.

53. Red Arse says:

26,

I am happy with that! :-)

I did not know you had already “come out” :-) but after many years of “dealing” with some truly brill people at Clifford Turner and also Slaughter & May, I have a nose for the opening gambits employed. Half of my family are lawyers too. :-)

I enjoy being a bit of a barrack room lawyer, (note to self; must do something about all this false modesty) and am not averse to a bit of point scoring, sterile banter either, but experience tells me it bores the arse off everyone else, and I value your friendship! (another note to self; stop it, you are going to embarrass 26) :-)

54. Red Arse says:

Futbal,

Your passion is admirable, but on the one hand you are castigating Jack as being over rated by Arsenal fans, while on the other you are effectively praising our GK’s and asking other fans not to complain about them.

Mixed message, perhaps?

55. charybdis1966 says:

If we’re talking heights, apparently these were in the match day programme on Sunday :

SZCZESNY 6.5
    NASRI 5.10
    RAMSEY 5.10
    CLICHY 5.9
    VELA 5.9
    WALCOTT 5.8
    ARSHAVIN 5.7

As we’re into legalese at the moment, I accept no liability for any inaccuracies or any loss sustained as a result of any reliance placed on therin, heretofor, what..what..what.

56. SharkeySure says:

Morning All _ (just about?)

Good battling performance last night, and I must confess I no longer have any doubts about Fabianski. I haven’t had for a little while now

57. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

You are right to dispute Wiki’s 6’3″ for Fab2, …… he is easily 6’4″! :-)

You know, if we were talking about willies, I could understand the angst about the odd inch, but ……. :-)

RA,

Apparently, (according to SAF) Dion Dublin was longest in the shower!

chary’s stats from Arsenal bear out my belief that Fab 2 is 6ft 2in, and I have to disagree, the extra inch makes all the difference with a fingertip save if you’re a GK.

If Fab2 were 6ft 1in, the shot he tipped over the bar would no doubt have nestled in the back of the net. Ability comes top of the GK’s required assets, agility, judgement and size all follow, but I’m not sure in what order?

chary …. Fabregas 5ft 11in???, I don’t reckon…..

60. The thing about Jack is that he always seems to be available for the ball – I don’t very often think ‘where is Jack?’ as play unfolds, hes always right there.

Steve Palmer mentioned earlier that Cesc might be suffering from some kind of ‘mirror syndrome’ where he can see Jack doing all the things that he can do which he may find depressing and although I can’t comment on the psychoanalytical stuff thats how we view Cesc isn’t it? Always available for the ball.

I only mention this as having looked at the player ratings I started to wonder why Jack had a seven.

61. Red Arse says:

CharyB, despite your rejoinder at the end of your comment, I am afraid that list of heights will now be taken as gospel, and will cause you no end of trouble. Best get a lawyer, quick! :-)

Rasp,

You too have sneaky lawyerish tendencies. You snuck in a non-proven correlation between height and arm length, in order to win an argument with me.

Well let me tell you, I have a friend who is only 4’6″ but with arms so long that he trails his knuckles along the ground. Let me warn you he does not like to be called Cheeky Chimp! :-) Game over! :-)

RA,

I beg to differ. You may have a friend with disproportionately long arms, but I would definitely stand by the assertion that taller people generally have longer arms than short people.

It is entirely possible that the very best keepers have had some assistance from nature. It wouldn’t surprise me if the likes of Schmeichel and Czech have longer arms (in relation to their height) than Mr Average.

63. 26may1989 says:

I can’t remember who said it, but earlier in the season someone observed that our players had committed more fouls than they’d had committed against them, suggesting a welcome addition of grit. All of which I welcomed, we’ve all become sick of seeing our lads getting pushed around too easily.

But are things going too far? We’ve already had four red cards this season – admittedly there have (I think) been more oppo players sent off in our games, and the two Koscielny have had could be argued to have been harsh (at least with the one at Liverpool), but these are at least balanced by the escapes Fabregas and Wilshere have had. We have also had as many yellow cards issued against us this season as anyone else, and comfortably sit at the bottom of the PL’s fair play table.

We’re all for a bit of competitive bite, but are we in danger of undermining our push this season?

64. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

The next time I visit Whipsnade I will tell him you think he is furrily disproportionate! :-)

I have had a look around to get a handle on all these heights, but it seems that you pays your money and you takes your pick.

What seems to be a constant is that Chezzer and Mannone are reportedly about the same height. From my perspective, I am 6’4″, Mannone looks smaller than Chezzer, but if like me he is a bit on the chubby side compared with Chezzer, that might have the effect of reducing his apparent height.

In addition, a lot of measurements are shown in metric terms and the conversion to feet and inches is subject to rounding up or down.

RA,

Someimes freaks of nature can disprove popular belief about required body shape and be the best ever!…. Ian Thorpe, Jonah Lomu and Usain Bolt are all 6ft 5in, so I have ‘high’ hopes for our 6ft 5in Szczesny :P

66. gunnern5 says:

Chary: Was Wilshere too small to mention?

Hi GN5,

As the unrivalled ‘king of the stats’, may I ask if your figures agree with chary’s?

68. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers – I think there was an article on player heights in the programme however some of the heights do appear odd; I remember seeing somewhere Clichy listed as 6′.
    N5 – lol, Jack must have skived that measuring session !

PS – just checked back and he was right at the bottom of the list:

“WILSHERE 5.7″

69. SharkeySure says:

“Now Marouane, as I’ve obviously got your ear, can you sort out your mullet ?” Lol Chary.

The trouible with that sortof outlandish hair-don’t (as I call them) is that the wearer is generally convinced that look the absolute business because of it !! If it wasn’t so sad it might be quite funny.

Song’s hair makes him look ill.

70. charybdis1966 says:

That reminds me of Jason “He’s got a pineapple on his head” Lee, S Sure.
    I think he later said that the chant thatphrase led to ruined his career.
    RedA – if I get held liable I’ll take the blog owners(Peachy and Raspers) down with me, they are jointly and severally liable, M’lud.

71. SharkeySure says:

Jason Lee…..when you play as badly as he often did, a standout hair-do is the last thing you want

72. SharkeySure says:

Fabreags 5’11..??

He mightjust be you know…

It sfuny cos we have all literally watched hom grow in an Arsenal shirt. He was prob 5’7 when he first played in the Carling Cup against Rotherham, he’s definitely taller now.

Here’s a teaser for you….. which Premiership record did an Arsenal player break yesterday? …. if any of you have heard this already, keep schtum and allow the others to ponder.

74. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: I really can’t add anything to the height dialogue as most of the sources seem to stretchhhhhhh the truth.

Haha gn5,

I bet you know the answer to my last question being a figures man.

76. charybdis1966 says:

I know S Sure, many do not like Mark Randall for various reasons but as a proponent of the side parting I can only applaud him for it.
    All these nancy boy hair dos only serve to emphasize the notion held by rugby fans that there are a lot of poncy poofs in football.

77. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers – surely not Chamakh with quickest goal of the season?

Maybe it’s Bendy with shortest appearance as a sub ?

78. I know, I know, I know but I’ll let someone else have the kudos :P

79. What was that sub all about – madness!!!!!!!!

Warm chary …. you’re thinking along the right lines

81. charybdis1966 says:

Maybe longest sequence of appearances as a sub for Bendy ?
    Or shortest gap between 2 subs(Bendy & Nasri)?

Probably gone cold now :roll:

No chary – you’ll kick yourself when you know, it’s pretty obvious :lol:

83. charybdis1966 says:

Most passes in shortest time for a goal from a (re)start ?

No, it’s more obvious than that … clue – the new record holder is Chamakh……..

85. gunnern5 says:

Rasp it took me about 39 seconds to figure it out.

86. It’s not quickest Premiership goal……

Correct peaches, it’s not quickest Premership goal.

88. charybdis1966 says:

Oh, silliest hair cut by a first goal scorer ?!

Do you want me to tell you chary, since you seem to be the only one playing the game ;)

90. gunnern5 says:

Oops I see that Shearer scored in 10 secs against Bradford in 2000/1.

Maybe – scoring in both the first and last minute?

Maybe – the greasiest hair?

91. charybdis1966 says:

You’d best put me out of misey Raspers.

Swinging leg back right now to kick oneself…

92. futbal says:

rasp fair point on wilsher.I admit I am being harsh on him,maybe it is to do with the fact that i want him to do well so much that i dont want any bad ego developing.Second point, is why is so much emphasis placed on height.Last season TV5 outjumped some of the tallest strikers with him being under 6′. I believe simply that it is all about heart and determination.Keown was never the biggest but he won headers against Jan koller. Having served in the British army for 12 years, it is well knowned that the fiercest soldiers ie the gurkas are at an average height of 5,4 but can out run the biggest and strongest u.s marine.I have seen it several times during competitions in KAF(afghan)

Very close gn5,

Chamakh holds the (bizarre) record for having the longest time lapse between 2 goals – 93 minutes :P

94. gunnern5 says:

I got it – the only player to score in the first and last minute of a game and not be noticed in between.

:lol: gn5

Hi again futbol,

Thanks. I agree that technique, attitude and ability all outweigh height when it comes to defenders. TV has a phenomenal jump on him, but more importantly, the timing of his leaps gets him above the oncoming strikers.

The height debate was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I do believe that a shortish keeper is at a disadvantage.

97. charybdis1966 says:

That would make sense Raspers.

Talking of kicking one self, to describe an incompetent person you can say “they are about as much use as a one-legged man in a kicking contest”

Adebayor holds the record for getting 150K a week for a one minute sub appearance last night.

99. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey, how embarrassing for him was that? he did not look the least bit happy and got ready as slowly as he could.

Hi gunnern5,

Totally ridiculous, in fact I think the rules should be changed in that respect as it is purely time wasting and/or to disrupt play,even though we do it ourselves.

101. gunnern5 says:

Hi Kelsey, what struck me as crazy about the sub was that valuable time was wasted if City really wanted to win the game.

102. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Just got back. Was it?

Chamakh holds the (bizarre) record for having the longest time lapse between 2 goals – 93 minutes. :P:

Every one a winner! :-)

103. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

The refs are supposed to add on 30 seconds for each substitution. I have just deleted my recording and the ref added on an additional 35 secs to the extra-time time.

104. gunnern5 says:

RA: When they say 3 minutes it could well be 3 minutes and 30 seconds. I’m not sure if the time added on is rounded up or down?

105. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5,

As I understand the way it is supposed to work, if substitutions are made during the 90 mins, the 30 secs per substitution is added on to any other time delays for injuries etc and lets say that is 3 minutes in total.

Should any further substitutions be made during the extra time (3min) then an additional 30 secs is added on for each of them.

In the Mancs game, the clock said 3mins 35 secs when the ref blew for full time. (it might have been 4mins 35 secs. I can’t remember now).

106. Red Arse says:

Aah, how sweet, everyone is exhausted after the excitement of last night’s match and have all gone to bye byes. :-)

107. Charybdis1966 says:

Looks like it RedA- now to think about the Toffees.

108. tommystout says:

Hiya peeps.
    Im pleased about chezzer, he must have had assurances, so i cant see almunia coming back in now.
    So chuffed for Fab2 last night, now that was a strong left hand. Anyway not going overboard but it was good to see.

109. tommystout says:

i think an onform arshavin is imminent it looks to me like arshavin is set to explode with some goals soon. make sure he starts sunday mr wenger. he’s making chances its only a matter of time.

110. tommystout says:

alan hanson wanker – no mention of henry challenge but absolutely overboard on fab1 – it just seemed like an attempted block to me……
    and whats dixon doing “correct correct” cor-what, cmon man you are a gooner, backs to the wall – you are allowed TO ARGUE with mr.makeup you know.
    sorry dodgy keyboard…..

111. tommystout says:

rasp – update the widget! :-)

112. tommystout says:

my wifes gone missing – for a week, the police said “prepare for the worst”, so i went and got her clothes back from the charity shop!

113. Red Arse says:

Tommy, you are obviously still full of beans after last night. :-)

I am obviously delighted too, but I am a little worried that Arsene is still reportedly keen on the midget Given.

Rasp and I were discussing the merits or otherwise of a GK who measures 6’4″ or 6’3″. Imagine a GK like Given at 5’10”.

Widget updated tommy :P

115. pat says:

Thug Barton found out it seems – that haircut wasnt fooling anyone…

116. pat says:

Sorry had to get that off my chest after he delivered that ball to the other Newcastle thug…

Anyway good to hear that Szcenscy has signed a new deal…

117. Hi pat – funny you should say that about the Joey Barton haircut, I also thought it had the air of schoolboy that wasn’t going to fool anyone ;)

118. SharkeySure says:

Queen of Suburbia says:
    November 11, 2010 at 13:39
    Cesc – Don’t pick on Jaguar, those goats don’t herd themselves you know.

She’s an absolute legend !!!

119. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Gary Cahill anyone?

GG, We don’t need him, look back at your very good post-match comment on Weds night

Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies team who beat a Spanish team and make it into the UEFA 1/4 Final.

Did you know that the Final is to be played at Wembley on 26th May ? Ther is the possibility of us meeting Everton in the final – how auspicious would that be?

122. gnarleygeorge9 says:

BR

I agree, we don’t need him, but my question was, does anyone reckon we should go for him.

If Big Johan is The Arsenal’s 4th best CB, then it is travelling ok IMO :)

123. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I must admit, I’m a big fan of the robust CB type. I mean how can you go past big Tony Adams as an example. He put his head in places most wouldn’t put their boots. I see Big YoYo20 as that option. I hope he can keep developing and/or stay fit.

124. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Mmmmmmmmm boots probably isn’t a good description, but I think you may get what I mean by robust.

125. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Everton are going to be tough to crack. & speaking of players who put their heads in situations that are crazy, you can’t go past Timmy Cahill.

True GG. JD is a fine 4th CB.

And I agree about the need for at least one bruiser at the back. Look at the fantastic Inter defence last season centred around Walter Samuel and Lucio, two brick outhouses.

127. gnarleygeorge9 says:

BR

This weekend is one time I’ll be thankfull to here the away fans sing “One Nil to The Arsenal” after 90 minutes.

128. gnarleygeorge9 says:

*hear

Morning all.

scrolling through the tabloids I find yet again an article to incite any Arsenal fans with a link to an article (on newsnow top 10) in The Telegraph titled “Are Arsenal the dirtiest team in the PL ?”. NOTE it was a question in the headline .The table doesn’t lie and we have had 4 red cards so far yet none were malicious acts of thuggery more stupid and in Wilshere’s case through inexperience and at the end of a match in a non threatening position on the field.Wenger has made a rod for his own back with some of his recent comments,yet the very thing we are missing,that being a bit more resolute in the tackle is beginning to show itself more this season, but yet we have certain players who through sheer skill and lack of size or physical ability are not gifted in that department.They are creative players, and we have an abundance of them.If we get the balance right it must lead to a change of game plan,as it is fairly obvious that more and more teams have sussed out our fluidity.With Vermaelen out indefinitely(a future captain) the need for a no nonsense replacement in January is paramount.

I am away all day on business in Mijas. ;)

Theres a NEW POST

131. [...] Fabulous Fabianski – at least for now – and three points in the bag [...]