Thug Shawcross Happy to Keep On Breaking Legs

I was staggered to read Ryan Shawcross’s contribution to the discussion about dangerous tackling. In the week in which Bobby Zamora and Hatem ben Arfa both suffered very serious injuries caused by so-called ‘full blooded’ tackles, Shawcross had this to say:

“The likes of Henry and de Jong, I’m sure, didn’t go out to injure another player on purpose. It’s part and parcel of football. They are tough-tackling central midfielders whose games are based on making tackles, winning the ball and then giving it to the ball-players. Sometimes injuries are caused.

“You have just got to accept in these times, with the ball moving so fast and the player moving so fast, you are going to mis-time tackles. That is when injuries can happen.”

Essentially this arrogant buffoon, this poltroonish ignoramus is saying that he has no intention of changing the way he plays.

Despite having watched Aaron Ramsey carried off with his leg snapped in four (tibia – two parts, fibula – two parts), despite putting Francis Jeffers out for three months with ligament damage, despite putting Emmanuel Adebayor out for weeks with a malicious foul that wasn’t even on the field of play, Shawcross sees no reason to do things differently. Which will mean more ligaments damaged and more legs broken in the future.

Don’t you love his use of the impersonal voice?:  “Sometimes injuries are caused.” Caused by whom Ryan? Some mysterious third force? An act of God? The Hoof Fairies?

No, you festering noodledick, they are caused by YOU and the rest of your brave fellows from the British Donkey Society (motto: Not Good, Not Fast, But We Kick Like Mules).

Then there’s the admission that he’s going to carry on hurting people because he’s too slow: “…with the player moving so fast, you are going to mis-time tackles. That is when injuries can happen.” Again he uses the impersonal voice to distance himself from the unfortunate outcome of being too slow: “injuries can happen” – when what he should be saying is: “that is when I, and cloggers like me, are likely to injure someone.”

We all know that the likes of Shawcross think that intimidating the opposition by ‘going in hard’ is a legitimate part of the game.  And spare me the comparisons with Arsene Wenger’s ‘red period’ when we were top of the sendings off league: I don’t recall an Arsenal player snapping someone’s leg in two during that time.

In fact, while the hard men of 10-15 years ago (the likes of Vieira, Keane, Batty) would undoubtedly try to impose themselves on the opposition, it was in a controlled way without risking career-threatening injuries (I know, I know, Keane on Haaland was appalling  but it was a crazy personal vendetta). What seems to have changed is the sheer recklessness with which agricultural midfielders and defenders hurl themselves into challenges.

Being ‘taught a lesson’ by Roy Keane meant you’d be bruised for a week, not sidelined for a year.

The reason for the rise in crazy, career-threatening challenges – a trend I call ‘malicious recklessness’ – appears to be a combination of several factors: the financial stakes involved in Premier League survival for unfashionable clubs, which causes some managers to advocate an ‘anything goes’ policy in games against more skilful opposition; a rise in the technical level of the EPL (thanks largely to the foreign influx) resulting in players who are faster and have better control than previously, making it more difficult for cloggers like Shawcross to compete fairly; the physical condition of today’s players – they are stronger and faster than in previous years, so if they tackle in an uncontrolled manner they are more likely to cause serious harm; a laissez-faire attitude among footballing authorities to the consequences of dangerous play.

Today’s Reckless Ryans and Careless Karls can always say afterwards “I didn’t mean to hurt him” but their recklessness makes the hurting inevitable and they should not be allowed to shirk responsibility for it. If you drive your car at 80mph down a suburban street, you may not intend to kill the little kid who runs out in the road, but try telling that to the judge.

In today’s EPL there are plenty of physical teams who stay within the bounds of legality and common human decency: within the last few weeks Chelsea, West Brom and Sunderland have all played a physical game against Arsenal without resorting to malicious recklessness. Arsene Wenger made no complaints about physicality in any of those games. He is just incredibly consistent about highlighting dangerous play when it occurs.

So what to do?

Well, there is one group of people who, I believe, can really make a difference in the battle to take dangerous rash play out of the game. It’s not the players, it’s not the managers and it’s certainly not the ineffectual stuffed shirts at the FA and FIFA. Tomorrow I’ll explain who they are and what they need to do.

RockyLives

84 Responses to Thug Shawcross Happy to Keep On Breaking Legs

1. amaan says:

As much I hate Drogba I believe he is the best example of a physical player who is very good technically, he uses his body to overpower players, but u cannot say he is reckless, but he is still a cheat though.

2. jkl says:

maybe someone should take Ryan out in his next match in the first minute before he commits further crime.

3. Gerry T says:

Don’t be nasty to Ryan Shawcross..he will run crying to his Mummy again…

4. SharkeySure says:

Thats briliant Rocky……eagerly wawiting part two …already.

Again, fantastic read that.

5. SharkeySure says:

Amaan…very well said. Drogba is just about the strongetst and most physical player in the Prem, but he never even comes close to injuring anyone. He prob gets more yellow cards for dissent than he does for fouls.

6. John says:

I expect without his intimidating style of play Shawcross is only a very average player, not of PL standard. He can’t say anything other than ‘business as usual’ because trying to play football would be the end of his career. He is just not that kind of PL player.

Hi John,

Thanks for your comment. I’m not sure if you are defending Shawcross or condemning him?

Thanks for an excellent article rocky. Somehow you’ve managed to inject humour into a very serious subject without any loss of impact.

I can tell everyone that tomorrow’s piece is even better and should be posted up in every sports pressroom and football manager’s office.

9. John says:

Condemn him: I expect he is not of PL quality if he tries to play football the honest way. My point is, he has to defend his style of playing otherwise he’d be out of a job. I could be wrong of course, I don’t tend to watch his team. If he had any brains, he’d just shut up.

10. SharkeySure says:

“If he had any brains, he’d just shut up”

Very wise words John…..

Oh and…’Morning All’…finally !

Thanks for the clarification John.

I agree with your conclusion, but I think it is sad that Pulis, and now Mancini at citeh, have not voiced more disapproval of their player’s behaviour.

12. Vikas V says:

Awesome article dude!!

Great line!!! Keep up the good work!

Morning Sharkey,

It will be interesting to see how successful Marseille are in suing De Jong. I cannot understand why Health and Safety doesn’t appear to apply to football. Rugby is a far more physical game and yet serious injuries of this nature appear to be less frequent. If anyone poses a danger to another person, they are removed from the scenario.

14. elkieno says:

fuk i hate shawcross!!!

15. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, well said R Lives(when you finally wake up) and i’m surprised we haven’t had some Stokies on giving us the usual “he’s not that kind of player”, “Arsenal are a team of foreign/French cry babies” and the ultimate piss take, specious nonsense that we “want to take tackling out of the game” – what utter, total clap trap!
    I give it another half hour before we hear that we are not “manly enough” as if the cowardice of sliding into someone two-footed from behind somehow proves you are a man .

16. aged gooner says:

Bang on, well written and executed.

You forgot to mention that prick in Birmingham who did ruin Eduardo’s career.

Never the same talented player, what a waste and because of that deliberate tackle Arsenal supporters do not feel so friendly towards Birmingham

17. Smith14 says:

Good article, I think your spot on with your point about players hiding behind the lack of intent as a defence when the injure opponents. If you go in to leave your mark on an opponent you cant complain when you inebvitably hurt someone.

I also think it was a good point that was made at the beginning of the comments by amaan. Drogba, among others is physical and committed but he doesnt endanger opponents careers. Physicality and committed tackling is great, the likes of Adams and Keown, even Terry and Vidic in the modern game, are able to dominate opponents, intimidate them even, but they know when to make a firm tackle and when to use their body rather than being stuck at the default position which reies on lunging in at all costs even, as you rightly point out, when the ball’s off the pitch (Shawcross on Adebayor).

Sadly there are a lot of players in the league at the moment who aren’t good enough. The game’s got to quick for them and they cant keep up so the aim to slow everyone else down.

18. goonermichael says:

and then he goes home with his mummy crying. fucking wanker

19. craigy says:

brilliant article cant wait till tomorrows one, im also nearly to excited to type at the news news rambo is back in training and could be ready to play in 4 weeks, he is top quality and will continue to improve at a rapid pace, despite that awful tackle from that dirty fuck shawcross. ps malicious recklessness what a way to describe these donkeys, nice1!

20. Judith Le'Strange says:

I would like someone to break his leg and then see what he and his manager says then. He’s a stupid idiot and needs to be taught a lesson and the sooner the FA and UEFA and whoever comes out and acknowledges that players who break other players legs are not just sent off and banned for 2-3 games but for several months, perhaps then they might learn, plus the should pay compensation to the injured player.

21. 26may1989 says:

Very good piece Rocky, thanks.

And apologies for my absence from this fine site for the last 10 days or so – I tend to switch off football in the aftermath of disappointment, and good as our performance against Chelsea was (and I do think it was good enough to merit a draw), I switched off my telly the moment the final whistle went and have paid very little attention to matters football since then. A defeat is always good for my efficiency at work.

But having seen Rocky’s take on the current debate, I felt a return to these hallowed pages was due…..

Like many other Arsenal fans, I’ve been amused, and pleased, to see how what Wenger has been saying for ages has been taken up by the likes of Danny Murphy and the world’s best paid trade unionist, Gordon Taylor. It’s a shame no-one has openly come out and said “Arsene was right after all” but at least there’s almost a real debate now, so I shouldn’t whinge too much.

When St Ryan Shawcross said “with the ball moving so fast and the player moving so fast, you are going to mis-time tackles. That is when injuries can happen”, he was on the button. The trouble is he and the likes of Karl Henry and Nigel de Jong believe, genuinely believe, that so long as in their own minds they’re going for the ball not the man, any injuries that follow are an unfortunate side-effect, but not something that should change the perpetrator’s style of play. Their belief is fuelled by the likes of Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Brian Horton, as well as the welter of ridiculous pundits whose knowledge of playing football is based on a completely different game, one that had goalkeepers picking up backpasses, pitches that were regularly muddy, boots and balls that were heavier, and fitness regimes that featured chips, pints and fags.

As Shawcross himself said, the game is faster now, which means it can’t be judged according to the same standards that applied in the pre Premiership era. That’s obvious, and as Danny Murphy (not just an Englishman but a northerner, so even the Shawcrosses of this world must take his views seriously) said, “The pace some of the players are going into tackles at is ridiculous. … If you’re going in at a certain pace and don’t get it right you are going to hurt someone. Players need to be more intelligent”.

Of course, most of the debate is sporting in nature but I think there’s also a social or cultural aspect to what’s going on. Many traditional football fans feel disenfranchised by the modern game, with its high prices, less macho stylings, more cosmopolitan feel, and players who are either foreign or nothing like the fans themselves, or both. It’s the distance from players like Bryan Robson and Norman Hunter to Ronaldo and Robert Pires. The way the game is now is all feels too clever-clever to many, who can’t relate to what they see on the pitch. So when there’s call for back to basics, like that being led by Pulis and Shawcross, it serves as a good focus for broader frustrations.

Seeing players like Wilshere, Albrighton, Ramsey, Bale, Gibbs and Henderson, skilful, stylish and British, come through will change attitudes, but right now I think many see the violence of the likes of Shawcross, which in previous years would have resulted in bruising rather than fractures, as being a legitimate expression of real Britishness in an age where some feel that to be under threat. The sooner they get to grips with changes in society and in football, the better.

22. futbal says:

Awesome post.Enough said. Its funny how some english managers ie fat sam,hate on AW but cant wait to compare themselves to him. Its like that VW Golf advert on t.v.We invented football but some of our so called top maangers footballing mentality is even behind N.koreas.

23. Rosicky7 says:

Great article l agree with what you say Shawcross is a idiot, these tackles must be taken out of the game .To think he called end up being England Captain it was be a disgrace .Looking forward to reading your article tomorrow….

24. Red Arse says:

Rocky, you little genius! :-) I think you have a really good take on the physicality of the current PL, but what I absolutely loved was your descriptive talent! :-)

“Poltoonish ignoramus”, is excellent but “noodledick” is something I have never seen used before. :-)

When you are not looking, I will certainly pinch “noodledick”, although any victim I pick on, in person, is bound to ask if noodles have dicks.

My already vivid imagination is now running riot.

Welcome back 26 May! :-)

25. Red Arse says:

I am looking for a volunteer on whom I can try out a Rockyism.

I am thinking of calling the victim/volunteer “a dastardly, lily livered poltroon and a puckish noodle’s dick”. Surely there would be come back to that! :-)

Nice to have you back 26may, hi Red Arse.

I have to say the descriptive genius of rocky’s post would rival Edmund Blackadder at his most acerbic.

26may,
    As usual, your analysis of the article and added thoughts are fascinating reading. Desmond Morris liked to use football fans as the ‘model’ for tribal human behaviour.

Obviously, in the frequently used graphic showing the stages in the development of humans from apes, the small hairy one at the start should be wearing a Stoke shirt and the tall sophisticated one at the end, an Arsenal kit :P

Super article Rocky and an interesting discussion. That there has not been a polemic aimed at Shawcross by the British press speaks volumes.

26th. Great comment.

RA. I love a good insult and you can use yours on me any time. I was known as the Epsilon Semi-Moron at school which still makes me laugh!

28. rockylives says:

Thanks for the comments – (and thanks also to Peaches for suggesting I write on this subject).
    Some great points in the comments. The Drogba example is a perfect one (thanks Amaan, Smithy and Sharkey)- as well as being a brilliant player he’s someone who uses physicality as an essential part of his game, yet you could never imagine him breaking a player’s leg except in a freak accident.
    26May – brilliant point about the cultural dynamic in all of this – how about expanding on that for a full post on the subject?
    RA – I like archaic insults, they have more inherent humour than most contemporary ones. And I can think of some other Arsenal blog sites where the volunteers for a good noodledicking will be too many to count.

29. rockylives says:

And I see Fat Sam has been contributing to the debate again, this time saying that there were more bad tackles five years ago and that it’s all TV’s fault (television’s, not Thomas Vermaelen’s) for showing the assaults in slow motion. What planet is he living on?

30. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for kind comments.

Rocky, it’s almost cruel to pick on Sam Flabberdyce, he’s clearly going through some sort of delusional breakdown at the moment. There’s no other reason he’d claim to be the equal of proper football coaches like Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho is there? It’s the football equivalent of thinking you’re Napoleon.

I like that line about “television’s, not Thomas Vermaelen’s” fault, excellent!

31. Red Arse says:

BR,

I’m disappointed in your lack of ambition, as your Headmaster must have been, a mere “epsilon semi-moron”, when the “alpha semi-moron” must have been there for the taking! :-)

32. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Thank you for your advice as to other sites where I could find suitable candidates for a little noodledicking.

I have already been invited to “****” off, for my supposedly arrogant, intellectual diatribes.

On one such site I said that particular slight did not bother me. I helpfully explained that if they had described my comment as “an arrogant pseudo-intellectual diatribe”, I would have been cut to the quick.

So they equally helpfully obliged. :-)

33. qwerty says:

Would be awesome if someone, an Englishman or Briton, just leapt studs first into Karl Henry’s shin or ankle, preferably followed by a one-liner.

It would be like Cantona’s hands-on approach to racism. He would not be condemned by the public, he would be lauded.

34. Red Arse says:

Uiop,

Nice thought but, I got a bit lost about the racism bit.

A nasty piece of work knows no boundaries. Henry simply should not be playing in the EPL, if he has to compensate for his incompetence by assaulting fellow players.

35. Red Arse says:

Sorry, I meant Qwerty, :-)

I am painfully learning to touch type and my feeble brain finished the top line. Oh dear! :-)

36. charybdis1966 says:

Hi RedA – qwerty was referring to the fact that the “supporter” Cantona lunged at was a skinhead/BNP member who called him a froggy c**t or something racist.

37. rockylives says:

RA – Uiop – :) :)

38. charybdis1966 says:

R lives – or “asdfgh” :)

39. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Luckily for me, you were not around yesterday when I dissed the Slayers. :-)

40. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

If he called Cantona a froggy whatsit, wouldn’t that have made him an amphibianist? :-)

41. charybdis1966 says:

RedA – I accept 90% of people will not like Slayer, which is cool as I don’t like Michael Jackson, Phil Collins(he is an avid spud also BTW) and all soul, jazz/funk, reggae or rap.
    Which pretty much makes me a musical leper.

I think it may have been a “french c**t” – my memory fails me as to the exact insult but it was definitely francophobic.

42. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I suspect you are long gone, but my musical tastes are somewhat eclectic.

Selections from Les Miserables, Phantom, Frankie Valli, Elvis, Bruckner, Holst, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, particularly his Piano Sonatas, (well all classical stuff really), Wagner and of course my favourite, Baa, baa, black sheep.

Can’t stand Rap, Kylie Minogue or Liam Gallagher or the worst of all, Here we go round the Mulberry Bush.

Well, you started it with the Slayers! :-)

43. Red Arse says:

Everyone on AA goes to bed about this time, every day!

Hmm, what are you all getting up to? :-)

44. Red Arse says:

Rasp, Peaches, is you out there?

Helloooooo

45. charybdis1966 says:

I’m off to make dinner soon, but I had to say that my tastes are only extreme – I like Bruckner too.
    Who’s interpretation do you find better: Haitink’s or Jochum’s ?
    Which of his symphonies do you like the best? I go for the 8th but the shame of it is the 9th was never finished.
    The scherzo is almost as scary as the Slayer from the other day !
    I was never too keen on opera though or even sonatas or concertos – I loved the lavish epic symphonic works, Mahler too(especially as 6th.)

46. Hi Red Arse – I’m here, whats up?

47. 26may1989 says:

Chary and I may share footballing taste, but we’re polar opposites on music – I’d say I like everything other than metal and am an ignoramus on classical and opera. I have the feeling that my favourites (mostly soul and indie guitar bands with a load of troubadour types thrown in) would have his ears bleeding. Maybe we could compromise on Dinosaur Jr or Nirvana?

48. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

You will probably laugh, but I have always loved Karajan’s 8th.

I also love Bruckner’s symphonies and also the Te Deum is very deep, resonates somewhere deep in my being. :-)

49. Sorry RA I’m gone for a bit be back about 8 xx

50. Red Arse says:

Have you heard Kyung Wha Chung’s interpretation of Bruch’s Violin Concert?

Absolute bliss!

51. Red Arse says:

Never mind 26, your taste in Arsenal is excellent. :-)

52. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

I was hoping for a response to my email to you earlier today, which I also copied to Rasp. I know you are both busy, of course! :-)

Red Arse,

some of us have to work you know.

it’s not all sun,sea and sex down here ;)

The Eagles,America,Teddy Prendergast,Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young,Celine Dion, The Scissor Sisters Marvin Gaye,Barry White and Benny Hill.

The Who, Pet Shop Boys, Dusty Springfield, Millie, and Laurie london not forgetting Elkie Brookes and Helen Shapiro and i will never forhget the night with Sandie Shaw in Palma mallorca. ;)

Somewhat diverse, don’t you think. Oh, I must take my tablet.

56. charybdis1966 says:

RedA – you mean Karajan’s interpretation of Bruckner’s 8th ? I wouldn’t laugh but I find Haitink’s superior however Karajan does the 4th brilliantly, the one on Deutsche Grammophone label with the BPO.
    As I said I’m not too keen on concertos and I never got the hang of the Anton’s Te Deum.
    Kelsey – Celine Dion, oh dear.

57. Irishgunner says:

The over-rated idiot of Stoke has spoken then?!

Basically, what he is actually saying is that he’s not good enough to play in the EPL, that he isn’t of the highest standard because while the technically blessed attackers have advanced their game and got quicker, he is lagging behind, sod off to the Championship then…

58. charybdis1966 says:

26May – don’t worry about compromise, stick to what you like. It’s why I completely rejected the stuff that was force fed to me by mainstream radio in the 1980’s.
    Sod Michael Jackson.
    Sod Culture Club
    Sod Modern Romance.

59. Irishgunner says:

Evening Chary – I like your point regarding the music, but sometimes we like the mainstream and shouldn’t feel like sheep because of it. I likes what I likes, and don’t care how “cool” or “uncool” it is. I love MJ’s music and videos, and stageshows.

60. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, Work? You were having a nap, admit it! :-)

Interesting musical selection there but, Millie?

Was that post My Boy Lollipop, when she posed for Playboy?

You rogue! :-)

61. charybdis1966 says:

Ah Maire, we pass like ships in the night.

Hope you’re well and catch you, and all AAers, tomorrow.

Rock on. \../

62. Red Arse says:

Irish, you failed to mention Lady Gaga! :-)

Yes, CharyB. Bruckner’s 8th.

But I think Bruch’s Violin Concerto takes some beating! :-)

63. Carlito11 says:

Quality read! Cheers

64. Irishgunner says:

Laters Chary :)

Red Arse – Evening ;) I think its perhaps “uncool” to like the Gaga, but whatever!! *clicks fingers* I go see her in 2 weeks time woop woop People keep saying she wears all the costumes to cover over her lack of talent when in fact she writes, sings, composes, plays instruments etc., but I’m sure we have this discussion before.

Evening all,

No I wasn’t RA, I was on the green playing for charity,
    4.5 hours, that was hard work.

66. Red Arse says:

I bow the head in shame, Kelsey, for maligning you. :-)

67. Red Arse says:

Irish,

I think she is O.K. and frankly she rightly does not give a stuff. And neither should you. :-)

It’s just that some think it is easy to take the mickey out of her, because of her original costumes.

I made that comment in a pub once and the next thing I was told she her outfits were not original, but were ideas pinched from Madonna, Mickey Mouse, yada, yada, yada. Oh dear! :-(

I’m with you! :-)

68. Red Arse says:

Off now, guys. Tomorrow?

69. Irishgunner says:

Red Arse – Her outfits aren’t original, she has never claimed they were. In fact she always point to where she got her idea from. She has never claimed to be doing anything original, its others that claim that.

Catch ya soon

70. qwerty says:

well this comment section has become a bit weird…

71. Irishgunner says:

Evening qwerty,

You’ve not seen the half of it mate :lol: Stick around, you’ll enjoy it :)

72. SharkeySure says:

Rasp 13.08 – “descriptive genius of rocky’s post would rival Edmund Blackadder at his most acerbic.”

Can I second that !!!!

73. SharkeySure says:

Rasps ‘evolution of man from Stoke fan to Arsenal afficionado’….top quality !!!

74. SharkeySure says:

Aye Red – you’ve been on top form today pal – UIOP lol !!! Even I can’t typo that !!

Qwerty/UIOP….you mean a bit weird cos no one’s been told to **** off, cos everyone appears to be over 12 yrs old, and there’s no Frothing Inarticulate Loon playing the blog hard man..?? Yeah its pretty weird over here alright. As Irish says, stick around you’ll get used to it.

Mornings are slightly more serious, but as you’ve seen, the balance can swing quite quickly towards the surreal…especially during the ‘Interlull’, and later in the day. My advice..?? Get in early tomorrow !!!

Night all..

75. SharkeySure says:

Fantastic comment 26M.

As suggested…more on that topic please, and welcome back !

76. qwerty says:

Not weird because people aren’t hating on each other over football (for example: Stoke fans backing Shawcross to the death and Wenger making multiple accounts to bash him), but because people have turned this into a chat room. >_>

Cantona – Froggy **** – Amphibianist. Superb. :-D

Looks like we are about to sign 6ft 3in, 17 year old Romelu Lukaku from Anderlecht. His goals per game ratio is phenomenal.

……. could he be a potential replacement for RvP in the future?

Theres a New Post

81. [...] together a 2 part series on violence and what Journo’s can do to help combat this nonsense (part 1 – part 2). I’ve heard on the grapevine Wrighty7 is going to join the party. If [...]

82. bob says:

Jack Wilshere. Skilful. Stylish. English. Violent thug. Pot. Kettle.

83. [...] Thug Shawcross Happy to Keep On Breaking Legs [...]

84. genetic denim…

Hey this is a great post . Can I use a portion of it on my site ? I would obviously link back to your page so people could view the complete post if they wanted to. Thanks either way….