Arsenal Back To Winning Ways – written by London

That’s better, now where were we before we were so rudely interrupted by that nightmare on Saturday? Ah, yes I remember we were talking about how people were yet to realise how good the squad is and from it a team to rival the Invincibles could emerge; well, we might have to rethink the latter but last night went some way to help prove the former.

Wenger made six changes to the team that were embarrassed on the weekend, fielding a combination that included Belt and Braces, that’s both Song and Denilson for those who do not read my reports that often. With Wilshere placed ahead of them which together created a midfield axis that the whole team revolved around.

Song and Denilson sit like guard dogs in front of the defence alternating vertically in their attacks, when Song goes forward Denilson stays back and visa versa, this enabled Wilshere to do what he does best: be creative without the hindrance of defensive duty – and it worked. Wilshere linked with Arshavin to create in car terms what I can only describe as two Ferraris in a sea of Ford Sierras, their partnership was head and shoulders above anything else on the field. This paid dividends in the form of the first goal: sublime interplay between the two, with a back heel from a different footballing planet, setting up the Russian to lash home.

One nil up and we were in control but only after the defence had blown off the cob webs. Djourou looked like Bambi on ice and Fabianski appeared as scared as a person who would be looking for a new job next Monday if he messed this chance up.

More opportunities fell to Arshavin, Chamakh and Rosicky but the Partizan goal keeper was obviously using this game as a show case for better paid employment else where and decided to put on a show of stopping pretty much everything that came his way.

What is it with these teams in blue and white stripes? Why don’t they just roll over and give in as they are supposed to do? Again, not tonight, irritatingly they were awarded a penalty and worse, they scored from it. I am not sure what Denilson was doing but what ever it was he shouldn’t have been waving his arms around in the air when the ball is travelling towards him.

One each at half time, but we were clearly the better team a fact that I am sure Wenger emphasised to them during the break – it worked. Arsenal came out and dominated play but although we huffed, puffed and were even awarded a penalty we still couldn’t score. Chamakh was put through with only the goal keeper to beat but before being able to pull the trigger his legs were clipped and down he went, the ref pointed to the spot, up stepped Arshavin and lazily hit it down the middle allowing the keeper to save.

Still one one but it helped that the ref saw fit to give us a hand by reducing their team to ten men. With an extra man it wasn’t long before we were able to take advantage: Rosicky sent in a beautifully flighted ball for Chamakh to climb and head goalward, unfortunately it hit the bar but that was the last of the goal keeper’s nine lives and it rolled kindly back to the Moroccan who poked it home.

Two – one and the gods were smiling: all the things we had written on our wish list before the game began to be ticked off one at a time. Squillaci scored his first goal from a wonderfully taken corner which actually cleared the first man, why can’t we do that more often? Fabianski saved a penalty sending his confidence sky high, Djourou settled down to play a decent second half and Wenger was able to take off and rest key players ahead of our big game on Sunday. All in all, a good day at the Belgrade office. The smiles are back, have a good day.

Written by London.

110 Responses to Arsenal Back To Winning Ways – written by London

1. Red Arse says:

Good write up London, bringing the pleasure of a good game back to life.

I thought after a nervous start that Djourou played v. well and won everything in the air.

To be a bit nit picky, Song wandered all over the pitch, showing great energy and commitment, but often lost control of the ball unnecessarily. It was one such instance where he lost possession which led indirectly to the penalty conceded by Denilson.

Good all round performance though, which lifted the spirits of all of us. :-)

Morning,

Great write up London, my love for football has been restored :)

My comments last night regarding Song, were based on his performance in the game and the other games so far this season. They have nothing to do with any deep rooted dislike of him or comments on other sites. When he plays defensively he is fantastic, when he goes forward, he leaves a huge gap that no other player adequately fills. Why have him in the final third when we have other midfielders who are much better in that position than him?

4. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, a relief to not be looking at the wreckage of another defeat in the former eastern bloc as we had become accustomed to.
    Jack just seems to get better and better and no matter how much he gets hacked he just gets up and gets on with it.
    Chamakh is proving to be a superior Greedybayor replacement(a team player, no attitude and exemplary work rate) and while people are still moaning about Arshavin, 5 goals and 4 assists in 8 starts is none to shabby.
    My only worry is that Song seems to think he has to be a creative midfielder and not a defensive one -he seems obsessed with trying to recreate his wonder goal against Bolton and is leaving the back four exposed far too often.
    In any case, this is a good way to build up to the game at the bus stop in Fulham on Sunday. If we have Cesc back we may get a win out of the game, without him a draw will be satisfactory.

5. tommystout says:

good write up London and nice to see a report not getting carried away with fab2s display. In all he had very little to do but in the end i was very pleased for him, i hope he builds off this and gives EA some much needed competition.
    LJW was excellent last night and when he was taken off i think it was an indication of how important a key player he is becoming, i think he’ll start on sunday.
    Rasp / charey i wholely agree with you about song, please sit back, leave the attacking to players better equipped to attack, please do what you do best – defend, protect, intercept and launch the next wave of assault.

6. tommystout says:

when fab2 roared like a mentalised bear i grinned like a cheshire cat, it was wonderful. i bet there is not an arsenal fan in existence who didnt enjoy that one!

Hi tommy,

I’m really pleased for Fab2 – that moment was similar to Stuart Pearce when he laid to rest the demons of his WC penalty miss – it made me quite emotional :roll:

He should get the nod on sunday, but we must be wary of going overboard. As Rocky wrote in his article on monday, what we are looking for in these players is consistency. I’d be happy to keep Fab2 as No.1 choice as long as he performs well, but what would it do to his confidence if Al returned when fit again and Fab2′s done nothing wrong?

Glad to hear the smiles are back on everyones faces ;)

chary I think you’re right about Song trying to recreate his Bolton goal in every game since – he just needs to wait until we’re 4 up then he can have a go if the opportunity is there, hopefully someone will tell him.

I’m very pleased for Fab2, the sky punditry before the game was all about his howlers. He didn’t have much to do and his save round the post late on in the game is surely what we’d expect from an Arsenal keeper.

9. 26may1989 says:

Good write-up London, Bambi on ice was especially accurate!

Good to win of course, but the oppo was pretty unimpressive, especially in defence, and I felt our lot never really had to move out of second gear. Wilshere was the stand-out player, it’s great to see how he is developing, so confident and has excellent vision and close control.

I was both relieved to see Squillaci recover some of his poise and concerned to see he still faltered on a couple of occasions. Am hoping he’s back to form by Sunday. And hopefully, Djourou, whose judgment continues to be a concern, will go back to the bench.

Nice for Fabianski to save a pen but one competent game doesn’t make a career. I still find myself shaking my head at our keeper situation.

A word for the referee: excellent performance I thought, an example for the muppets who referee in this country.

And so to Sunday, our first real test of the season. We’ll have to step up again, and I have the sense we may do that. Crossed fingers…..

10. charybdis1966 says:

Agree with feeling happy for Fab2, despite my reservations about him. When he’s in goal for us I want him to play above himself and of course you’d have to have a heart of stone not to empathise with him after his penalty save roar.
    Nice touch from Jack to throw his shirt into the crowd after the game- one of the things that consistently makes me proud of the club is the away support – as the saying goes “always outnumbered, never out sung”

Fine write up London. As you say one swallow doesn’t make a summer and Fab performance does not make him the GK we need – but fairplay, he did what was asked of him.

Sharkey had this to say about Song:-

“Yeah he misplaces a few balls, but his passing is very adventurous, and still some people don’t recognise this. If he plays a pass that the intended receiver doesn’t read, then some people read that as a misplaced pass on Song’s account.

For me the system agianst a weaker team is that LJW or Den sits behind Song, allowing him to roam and break up play. Against a stronger team, he and one other sit deeper with one in front.

We needed a strong guy in there and now we have one. We should all be happy about that. His skill at retaining and/or passing the ball under pressure is exemplary, and I dare say that there are few players in the prem better at that than him. Even when he’s a little off his game, ie Sat gone, he’s always trying to carry the fight for us.”

IMO it is AW who tells Song where and how to play. I felt he was the springboard for our win, never allowing the Partizan midfield to dwell on the ball.

That his pass accuracy was not as good as Denilson’s is true, but unlike D. he always looks for a forward pass

26. You are right. A fine refereeing performance, and a brilliant group of fans.

Morning Raddy,

Will you be happy to see Song venturing that far forward against the chavs? When he did go high up the pitch, he didn’t show much urgency to get back even when it was he who lost possession. To play with that tactic on Sunday would be suicide, Essien and Malouda will have a field day.

I think he should concentrate on being Makelele not Zidane.

14. fe says:

Denilson needs to come out and explain what the f*** he was doing by giving away a penalty. Brainless act.

15. 26may1989 says:

I agree Rasp, Song is too often going upfield, but it’s clearly a deliberate strategy and I’m sure he’s following instructions. I like the way our players interchange frequently, it creates problems for our opponents. But I’d like to see a more conservative approach from Song, who is so criticial to our defensive game.

But he won’t Rasp. He will return to defensive duties when Cesc returns.

I would like him to become the new Essien and it would appear as though AW is grooming him for this role – a dynamic box to box DM. And to me Essien is the best DM in world football.

17. 26may1989 says:

Fe, I don’t think Denilson has anything to explain, he just messed up bringing the ball onto his chest. Criticise his incompetence in the way he executed it, but raising your arms as part of that manoeuvre is standard.

Unfortunately the one thing Song lacks is pace, so I don’t see him being another Essien. He can be a rock in our midfield and a ‘better Gilberto’ which would be perfect for the team.

I would also look at Gibbs penalty. That was a rash and poor tackle which could have been expensive.

Gibbs is a great prospect and had a decent game so perhaps he was tired and therefore mistimed the tackle but whether it was on the edge of the box or inside, it was still a bad decision on Gibbs part.

That said, it gave Fab2 the opportunity to shine

Frimpong is one of the busiest and toughest midfielders I have seen come through the ranks. Its such a shame he got injured because he is an exciting prospect for the future.

21. charybdis1966 says:

Full marks for Champagne Charlie on ManuSkySports news last night – he was following our game and he raised his arms aloft when Chamkh nodded in the 2nd goal.
    It’s gratifying to see ex players still demonstrate an affection for the club – you can’t imagine Merson doing that.

Rasp. If you have the opportunity to review last night’s game check out Song’s pace. You will be surprised.

However, my point is that Song plays that role in the absence of Nasri and in particular Cesc. He has become a disciplined player and must have been told to take a more attacking stance.

Greetings Bipeds,
    Thanks for write up London.
    Here’s something you will not hear me say very often, and it concerns Chamakh and work rate. Too much sunshine! I am very happy for him to be doing the front line inter-changy-position thingy. Drifting hither and drifting thither, left and right, but too often I do not see him where he should be, where he can do what he does best. I do not like to see him anywhere near the half way line.

This from Kelsey…..

Good Morning,

My thoughts haven’t changed since half time,except to say, an away win is most welcome, and I was pleased for Fabianski having an all round good game.
    I still maintain we beat a very poor side and that one didn’t really see how our defence would have stood up to stronger opposition.
    I maintain my stance that Jack should play when ever possible,and though he missed a penalty Arshavin will be one of the stars of this season.
    With cesc absent, Nasri missing was very apparent and though Rosicky showed a few moments of skill, he just is not the player he was.Maybe as said earlier he needs that first goal, but he fluffs every opportunity, and he wouldn’t automatically be in my first choice line up.
    AS BR said the home crowd were fantastic,if only we could generate such an atmosphere.
    The reality check will come on Sunday, and IMO Vermaelen and/or Cesc needs to play.Djorou may be not quite match fit, but he is no where near the class we need.Denilson apart from a needless penalty that he gave away,had a solid game.
    It’s my wife’s birthday today so if you want to repost this on the new post,I will be back later.

OK Raddy,

I think the game on Sunday will be a test of his discipline, let’s hope you’re right.

Agreed Micky.

There was no need for Cham to chase the ball last night, perhaps he was trying to take his marker out of his central defensive position and create some space.

Work beckons …..

Chamakh made a couple of very important defensive tackles. I suppose it depends on how the game is going. I do like the ‘defend as a team’ principle although he can’t be a target man when he’s not up top.

Work beckons….how vulgar. Do what you enjoy doing, and you will never do a days’ work in your life.
    Right, back to work for me too! Damn it.

Rasp,
    I know you are right, he makes many great defensive tackles. I just think that by holding his position better, he would keep the oppostion pinned back a little more, while acting as a kind of pressure valve.
    He needs to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, as Ali would say.
    Really, back into battle now.

As regards last night Micky, I’m sure you are right, Partizan were really quite poor apart from that Brazillian with a girl’s name. We should have been able to hold them without requiring Chamakh to defend further back.

We will always be vulnerable to the ball over the top when we play with such a high line. It’s OK for us to keep a straight back line, but refs and linos make mistakes, I guess it’s the way it has to be if we want to play attacking football.

Rasp,
    Will you please stop talking to me, as I am trying to work. I am about to unplug you, but before I do, you mention Brazilians. Regarding the discussion here earlier about Song and his getting forward too often, what people do not know is that his veins are jam packed with Brazilian DNA. So it is totally forgiveable.
    For now Earthlings, its blast off for me. Strange noise.

33. rockylives says:

Good positive write-up London and there’s plenty to be positive about.
    I’ve submitted a post about Song but it may become redundant given today’s discussion. My problem with him marauding forward is less about him neglecting his defensive duties, it is that he does not have the skill set for that role and, last night, lots of our attacks broke down because of him.

34. 26may1989 says:

Agree with every word of your 10:16 Raddy, save that I don’t write off Rosicky quite as much as you do – he wasn’t great yesterday but he has put some excellent performances in this season and I count him amongst our important players.

35. 26may1989 says:

Have just seen that Fabianski was voted man of the match on arse.com. An unimpressive conclusion.

36. dandan says:

Nice write up London enjoyed the second half in a Spanish bar. As an fan on holiday at the moment who is not seeing much football am wondering if you lot are not getting hyper-critical,it is still early season with much settling in to do for new players.
    Rasp.”I think he should concentrate on being Makelele not Zidane” you are a hard man.
    Enjoyed your post re Wenger last week it made me smile.
    Keep the faith we are on our way.
    Sunday will be an interesting barometer as to our improvement.
    Catch you all soon

26. The 10.16 was written by Kelsey.

38. 26may1989 says:

Dandan is obviously blissed out – enjoy the hols DD!

We are writing Partizan off as poor opposition but it should be recalled they are Serbian Champs, a country that is football mad. They had not lost at home for many a moon and are currently top of their League.

We made them look average. This is a testament to how far AW has taken this team, that without inspirational players ( Theo, Cesc, Nasri, and TV) we won at a canter.

Looking for individual errors is taking the shine of a fine performance.

Making Fab2 MotM is an emotional decision. Logically it should have been AA or Jack. My vote would go to AA despite the penalty miss because he looked constantly threatening throughout the game. For once, no-one could accuse him of not looking interested. Maybe he just likes playing in Eastern Europe ;)

41. rockylives says:

I like the fact that Fabianksi got MoTM. Sometimes the noise from the minority is deafening and, going into this game, you got the feeling that lots of people wanted him to fail. The MoTM vote shows that the opposite is true – people want him to succeed.
    Agree completely about AA Rasp. He has not hit full stride yet but just look at his contribution so far this season in terms of quantifiable results (ie goals and assists).

42. 26may1989 says:

Agreed Rasp – I would go for LJ but AA was excellent too.

Raddy, I don’t underrate teams from the Balkans, and they have some of the most passionate fans in Europe, but I honestly think Partizan were one of the weaker sides we’ve played in CL football. Braga weren’t great but that night our football was of a far higher level than last night. Not that I really mind us soft-pedalling to an away victory when we’ve got a much harder game coming up.

Some sites are reporting that TV is definitely out for Sunday with his achilles problem – does anyone know for sure?

On arse.com, on Sept 23rd, the wording is that he would miss the next two games (W Brom & Partizan)

44. SharkeySure says:

Afternoon All, except you Micky..you get a ‘Ahoy me hearty’ !!

Very good summary of the game London, thanks for that.

Having read thru the comments I’m, mostly with Radders viewpoint that it was a very good away win, when most woyuldhave been happy with a draw pre game.

Rocky …you are spooton about th vocal (and lunatic?) minority.

One blog commenter somewhere (?) constantly berates fans for singing ‘One Arsene Wenger’ at games, and for the life of him can’t figure out why they do it. He’s obviously so cosseted amongst ‘his own kind’ that he simply cannot acknowledge his and his ilk’s ‘minority’ status. Bless

45. Carlito11 says:

Thanks for the great write up London- I was unable to watch even the highlights last night but now I feel like I’ve seen the game. Can’t wait for the highlights on telly tonight to actually see Jack’s backheel! All feels right with the world today!

46. SharkeySure says:

I’m at a keyboard nigh on ten hours a day for work, admittedly I’m more a numbers man than words, but my typoisms are just getting plain ridiculous now.

God forbid I ever post comments from my mobile !!

47. SharkeySure says:

Carlito …check last night scomments. I;m sure there’s a link to highlights there!

48. Tim says:

Decent performance, great result – and in a hostile stadium where the players apparently had to use the light from their mobiles to find their way round the dressing room after the power failures.

Pleased for Fabianski too. He didn’t have much to do,but he did it very well. Even though I still don’t rate him, he can do a job for us if he stays confident.

Nohtin wrogn wth Typnsuns

SS 10 hours a day! Nasty, unless you love it.

Giving Fab2 MOM is the same as giving a Charity snog to the girl who fancies you but has no chance of a reltionship ….

50. Red Arse says:

Big Raddy,

Is that similar to a girl giving a pity fcuk?

But then I’ve never been too proud to accept! :-)

I stole this from a chav site claiming they are going to overpower us on Sunday…….

Average weight kg / Average height cm

Wigan – 76kg – 180.5cm
    Birmingham – 73kg – 180.5cm
    Blackpool – 73kg – 180.5cm
    Arsenal – 70.5kg – 179.5cm

Based on probable first XI

52. charybdis1966 says:

Oh dear Raspers, that looks like boys agaisnt men- again.

I knew Lamps was heavy but not that heavy!!

54. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

That appeared in the Sun or Mail on line last week. Feel no guilt, they pinched it before you pinched it! :-)

55. Red Arse says:

Don’t despair.

We may be short and skinny, but they are all tall lardy buts. :-)

You’d think that the chavs would tire towards the end of games with an ageing squad and 13Kg heavier per man than us – but it doesn’t seem to happen?

57. Red Arse says:

It will on Sunday. Courage mon ami! :-)

Dobar dan Goonerchums,
    Does anyone else spend money on higher quality produce after an Arsenal victory. On saturday, I had pizza. Today, I have bought monkfish, scallops and champagne.
    Do we play Denilson and Song with Cesc on sunday, or can we find a place for Jack?

59. Red Arse says:

Yes Mickey,

Tonight I am mainly having a butter sandwich, to replace my usual margarine sandwich, and thinking what a lucky boy I am. :-)

We must find room for our pocket battleship, although I suspect it will only be for part of the match as he was abused so much on Tuesday.

60. SharkeySure says:

Radders 2.28. Love it..?? You’re kidding right !!!

Mouths to feed, its all about mouths to feed !! Mrs SharkeySure has been at home popping out kids these last ten years.

So Mr SharkeySure, no little sneaky treats behind Mrs SharkeySure’s back? Believe me, Mrs MickyDidIt89 can produce healthy wonders for the MickyDidIt89ettes with the simplest of ingredients! Although I am something of a ponce when it comes to food.

62. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

Have you ever considered family size margarine sandwiches?

I have promised myself a nice bottle of Fizz if Manure or the Spuds lose today! Well if Mickey can, I can! :-)

RedArse,
    Would you select a fit and fresh JW over Denilson for game like this? I would, as I think we need to take the game to them. We will never out muscle them. The fatties!

Wow, popping the fizz when someone else loses. Borderline debauched.

65. Red Arse says:

Mickey I am with you on that. We will can and will outskill the Lardy Buts, so if Jack is fit I would definitely go with him.

Anyway, he is one of the most dynamic, aggressive and tough tackling players in our squad, as well as being one of the most skilled. :-)

BTW, Mickey, to do a “smiley”, type : – ) but without spaces, and it will appear on zee screen wonderfully yellow. :-)

66. Red Arse says:

Steady on Mickey, debauched? I need the full description, louche and debauched, please! :-)

:-) :-)

:-(

I am so excited, its pathetic!

70. Red Arse says:

No longer a virgin, eh Mickey? :-) D:

So do we go:

….Song JW

Nas Cesc AA

Chamakh
    ?

72. Looking that table of height/weight of all the teams in the prem I wonder how our leetle filleted herrings last the pace – I hope we run rings around them on Sunday and score 2 in the last 5 minutes to win the game.

Won’t do much for the blood pressure and Rasp and London will be hiding behind the couch long before that happens ;)

73. Red Arse says:

I think we should go;

Flappy
    Sagna, Djouro, Squidgy, Gibbs

Nasri, Cesc, Diaby (Height), Jack

AA and Chamakh

But Arsene won’t agree! I don’t know why he keeps arguing with me! :-)

Ah Peaches, I call that “Doing The Kanu”.

75. Red Arse says:

Peaches, believe me. I forecast last night’s result, and we will at least draw on Sunday, if not win outright.

Your leetle filleted herrings are more like sneaky, slippery eels and will work their way into the Chavs cheeky bits when their defences are down. :-)

Red Arse,
    I am simply not impressed enough with Diaby to give him a starting place, so would stick with either Song or Den. I too would go for Gibbs over Clichy, however, I would play Kos rather than JD.

77. Red Arse says:

No Mickey, it’s the Kan Do! :-)

Red Arse,
    Behave.

79. Hi Micky – well lets hope we can “Do the Kanu” then ;)

RedArse – you haven’t got Song in your team!!!!!

80. Red Arse says:

Mickey, I would go with Kos too, but I thought he was still injured?

Peaches,
    “The Kanu” is a strange move. A cross between something you may have seen at an early Clash gig and an extremely sleazy Argentinian Tango. However, it always ends with bagging the winning goals in the dying minutes. Oh, and it is exclusively an Arsenal Thing.

Kos injured? Then JD it is, as I hear Verm won’t make it, but who knows

83. I see what you mean Micky but I’m not sure we have the personnel to do ‘sleazy Argentinian Tango’ but if we end up bagging the points after a heartstopping finale I shall be most delighted.

84. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

I am reluctant to dis a Gooner and I am normally well disposed towards Song, but, for whatever reason, he just hasn’t being doing it this season. Last night he was pretty ordinary in a good team performance. :-(

85. I still think I’d rather have him in there than Diaby especially if Cesc plays – he and Cesc have been swapping intelligently.

86. Red Arse says:

Maybe you are right. Whoever gets the nod, I will wish them well.

Are you both dismissing Denilson then? Especially after BigRaddys impressive stats.

Can’t any of you multi-task? I have begun the mammouth sauce reduction process and got the children in order. Come on.

There is no u is there

Let’s have Song – but only if he plays in his proper position and stops drinking the wanderin’ juice.
    I’d go:
    Fab
    Sagna, JD, Squelchy, Clichy
    Song, Cesc, JW
    Nasri, Chamakh, Arsh

But AW doesn’t listen to me either. Probably a good thing, on balance.

Actually, there is, if referring to the French Supermarket chain.

Micky: “There is no u is there”
    Are you referring to a typo or making a deep philosophical statement about the loneliness of the human condition in an increasingly virtual age?

Rocky,
    I’ll go with that, although I have a sneaky feeling Verm will make it, but absolutely Song is going to have to hold his position, and be very disciplined.

94. Red Arse says:

Carrefour, Mickey? Qu’est-que c’est?

Rocky,
    Very :-)

96. Red Arse says:

Anyhoo, tricky Mickey, you are showing off your skills as a saucy reducer. I can’t compete with that ……. obviously, but i have just taken a couple of beautiful bloomers out of the oven, and they smell delicious!.

For the sake of clarity, “bloomers” in this instance are a type of bread loaf, as I know you knew! :-) I love baking, there is something primal about it.

I absolutely refuse to discuss French Supermarket Chains. Walmart, now that’s interesting!

98. Red Arse says:

Good night, dear friends. :-)

Red Arse,
    I am in the food business, and bread making is a truly great art.
    Very good evening to you.

100. rockylives says:

Here’s hoping for a handsome win for FC Twente at Sh*te Fart Lane.

Some fantastic banter earlier .-shame I wasn’t around. Especially to witness Micky’s deflowering (losing his cherry etc etc)

I love Borderline Debauched. Could well be my next net-name (whatever they are called).

I shall be in a massive Carrefour early next week – the one outside Nice on the Digne road. The staff have roller skates it is so enormous. U-Marche is just so passe´

BTW. This evening I mainly cooked a chicken risotto and if I may say so myself, it was bloody brilliant. Some major reduction was required!

Barca scraped a fortunate draw with Obefami Martins hitting the post when it was easier to score in the final minutes. Quelle ca change.

Be brilliant if Twente get a result tonight, but I doubt they will.

Rocky,
    Even a nasty draw.
    By the way, Rocastle, one of my all time great Gunners.
    Must shove off.
    Have a good evening. Your earlier comment about “u” gets my vote for post of the day.

Ah Big Raddy,
    Nite to you as well. Mainly a risotto? There was more. Nearly finished reducing half a bottle of fizz, shallots. Then monk and scallops in creme fraiche with pasta. Dill…have not decided.

105. Irishgunner says:

evening all – just watching the Mancs, bit dull so far.

Just on the Belgrade goalkeeper, I didn’t realize till I was watching SSN today that he was with Wigan last season, played 4 times, and was a “howler every 10 mins” keeper, made some dreadful mistakes, wouldn’t know it from watching him last night.

106. Irishgunner says:

How did he miss??? 8O

No real surprises last night apart from Barca drawing and my hometown team winning comfortably at Panathaniakos.

I should have taken a bet on all English teams qualifying for the next round. It highlights the strength of the PL when a very poor mid-table PL side smash the Dutch champions.

And yet again Man Utd fluke their way to another win. Totally outplayed throughout the game and then a clinical finish from Hernandez who looks a quality signing.

Looks like MU signed the right Mexican

109. charybdis1966 says:

That was bloody annoying Radders, I was about to bask in the reflected glory of ole bacon face dropping two points and then the idiot spaniards went to sleep.
    I’m hoping the coocoracha, or whatever he’s called, is the next Macheda.
    One or two fluky goals then back to mediocrity.
    Did anyone notice how the manks are allowed to flout the squad name rule on team strips?
    When they had Jordi Cruyf he was allowed to have “Jordi” on the back of this shirt and this mexican shoud be “Hernandez” but he’s using “cookoracha” or something.

As usual one rule for the manks and one rule for the rest of us.

The gits.