Today’s the Day – written by dandan

Written by dandan

Today’s the day; just a few chaotic hours and we will know where we are.  Who has or hasn’t signed, do we have our new goalkeeper? Has Arsène fooled us all and enlisted an extra squad man? Will it be a midfielder or an emergency reinforcement for up front?

What about ‘appy ‘arry and the spuds? Have his shopaholic tendencies spread to Daniel Levy, their sensible chairman? Have some more supposed Champions League winners been bought in? If ‘arry has his way, they will take out more loans than the local tallyman.

Have Traore and the Spanish waiter up and left for pastures new and the continental life’?

How will today shift the premier league balance of power? Will the new boys fit in everywhere? What will the final 25 man squads look like tonight?

Will  Adebarndoor lead a revolt of zillion pound players who have not been included in  the Arab cities squad?

So many questions – all fascinating stuff, but does anyone have the answers?

Roll on six o’clock tonight and all will be revealed.

171 Responses to Today’s the Day – written by dandan

Morning,

dandan’s laid the foundation for what will be a day of conjecture spiced with the odd revelation. It didn’t matter what we wrote today, everything will be focused on the transfer dealings.

Most fascinating for me will be the lazybarndoor to totnum, are pool about to spring a surprise? and just how late will it be before we announce the signing of Schwarzer – although I think we maybe should have tried harder for Given.

Good morning

I cannot recall ever seeing Schwarzer and thinking “By gum, I wish we could sign this chap”. We are excited purely because of AW’s intransigence about the abilities of Almunia & Fabianski.

It is a sorry state of affairs and reflects poorly upon the esteemed Mr. Wenger. I can understand that signing a 37 y.o. is sensible with Scezney (?) coming through. But Coco was not good enough 3 seasons ago, nothing has changed and it would appear as if AW is pandering to the wishes of the fans. Our GK has not got worse over his reign between the sticks, he remains an adequate player.

Why didn’t we buy Givens when he left Newcastle? Or Jaaskelinen?

IMO Bad management.

3. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Big Raddy

Coco actually got down & dirty against Blackburn; he even gave the goal post a Liverpoo kiss.

Many questions but so few answers.
    To answer your question Rasp re Given, he was available for 1 million at one time whilst at newcastle and Almunia’s misgivings haven’t changed in those last 2 or 3 seasons.

I was listening to various journalists last night on Radio 5 live, and it is alleged that a good proportion of the buying is not down to Mancini but the owners themselves.
    Quite frankly I am not interested in City as they will never keep all the players happy and will buy and sell 4 or 5 every season, and have upwards of 150 million GBP on the bench.

I would like us to take an RM player on loan. M. Diarra, or Raphael Van de Vaart.

Another striker to appease Kelsey. Sanat Cruz or Jo from MC, just to get us through to January when Nik B will be fit again?

Oh and a GK.

6. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Kelsey

Those arabs are labor politicians in kaftans. They just throw loads of money @ a problem that never gets fixed :lol:

Kelsey. :-D

Would you keep him GG??

8. London says:

I think one of the biggest mistakes people are making is in assuming that if we sign Schwarzer it will mean that Almunia would have played his last game. Schwarzer will be back up in the event that Almunia gets injured before an important Champions League game. I see him coming to THOF in the same capacity as Poom did.

The biggest indication that Schwarzer is coming was the performance Almunia put in on Saturday, it is amazing what a bit of potential competition will do to a player.

I just found this on another site which is quite interesting.

“Is it just me or does Harry Redknapp have an unusual fascination with Arsenal or ex-Arsenal players for a Spurs boss? Before you dismiss this as rivalry hatred hear me out, at Portsmouth ‘arry signed: Kanu, Traore, Campbell, Lauren, Diarra (each one signed from Arsenal, or they had just left Arsenal) and since he has been at Spurs he’s tried to bring in Henry then signed Gallas and now I hear he is after Adebayor!? I can honestly say that Wenger hasn’t pilliaged one club for so many players or ex-players (granted most of our signings are French…but least from a variety of French clubs!). So next time Harry takes a sly dig at us about Spurs finishing higher or something, I’m taking it with a pinch of salt knowing he secretly would have all our players…if he could!”

10. gnarleygeorge9 says:

TBH

I can’t understand why a club like The Arsenal would want a 37 year old goalie, when they could get a younger version. But who am I to question Le Cheapskate

11. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Keep Coco?

No, promote the young guy Chezney as number 2. Like Manninger was to the bloke with a head like a horses arse, Seaman.

12. gnarleygeorge9 says:

‘Arry is like Harold Steptoe. He hangs round Le Gaffer for some rag & bone.

13. London says:

We have always blamed Almunia for the lack of command in his area, it is going to be interesting to see how much of a role Gallas played in his insecurity. If Saturday is anything to go by the answer is quite a lot.

Good point about WG London.

IMO. Almunia has never been of the required quality, and AW was mistaken when he didn’t buy following Mad Jens retirement. Perhaps his loyalty to his squad extends too far, occasionally I would like him to be more ruthless.

15. gnarleygeorge9 says:

London

Well if Billy G did play a big role in doing Coco’s head in, I guess he’ll be one bit of Arsenal rag & bone not going to Spuds.

16. dandan says:

London maybe WG will work his magic at the spuds and unsettle Gomez, now that would be nice

17. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Can someone tell me who the defender @ the bottom of the 3 CB’s on this page is?

18. terry says:

just imagine if wenger had goen and brought van der vart and van bomel on loan….

cani/ samba as our cbs….

Schwarzer as our goliee

and klose as a striker on loan…

3 loan signings and a 2 buys….

we would win a every thing

19. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I guess not ;)

20. mexthegooner says:

its the new french defender squillacti spelling is bad sorry!!

London,

Are you seriously saying that we would pay £4m for a 37 year old Schwarzer to be number 2 to Almunia …. I must have read that wrong.

We paid £8.5m (ish) for koscielny to be the 1st choice CB not back-up for Djourou.

One decent performance from Almunia does not mean he is good enough. He is never going to be any better than average. He crumbles in the big games because his temperament is weak. We all started the summer saying “well of course, most importantly we need a new keeper”. That goal he let in against Birmingham was criminal.

Stop kidding yourselves folks, Almunia is nowhere near good enough or consistant enough for an Arsenal side that should be looking to win something. Almunia was beaten at his near post to lose us the CL final – don’t forget the past!!!

22. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Thanx mex

Sorry gg,

I’ve been offline for a while. Yes that’s squidgy looking particularly mean taken from his pic on arse.com. I’ve seen many images of him looking less than the psycho he appears there – I think the club wanted him to look like a hardnut!

24. Hi gnarley – sorry your question went unanswered, he’s old and mean looking, not tall, but a french international now affectionately called squidgy. Sebastien Squillaci.

I think all 3 major signings, Chamakh,, kozzer and squidgy have been good and strengthened the squad. I haven’t seen squidy play up close but I like what I read about him.

26. London made a good point about Almunia possibly being unsettled by Gallas but surely a man is a man is a man ………

……. and if Gallas can do that to the spuds dressing room as dandan says thats a result IMO

Did Gallas and Ade get on???????

27. gunnern5 says:

I’m not an advocate of criticizing goalkeepers as they can have an outstanding game and make a couple of silly errors that get the headlines.
    Almunia has great shot stopping abilities and is very agile but it’s his command of the area and his decision making that are sub standard.

I was watching the Aston Villa game over the weekend and Brad Friedel was, once again, amazing he exudes confidence and roars at his defence when they make errors. He commands his area and rarely makes poor decisions – If only we had a Friedel type goalie……………

I suppose you’ve all seen this – “you can’t take the truth” :lol:

29. gunnern5 says:

London: I was not trying to be offensive the other evening – I was trying to be funny but I can see that could be mis- interpreted.

Cheers.

Hi gunnerN5,

I am a huge Friedel fan, he’s been consistantly top top for years. I wanted to sign him 3 years ago.

The Almunia is a good shot stopper thing is a myth. He’s no better than average, decent on the floor but poor at high balls. If he had stood still for the Rose shot it would have hit him in the face, he fell backwards – it is an involuntary action that he often suffers from and was also the reason why he tamely pushed Phillip’s goal into the back of his own net.

Sorry, but the Almunia being unsettled because of Gallas thing cannot be true. Almunia was crap in games when Gallas wasn’t playing towards the end of last season. HE’S JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH ……

Aw peaches, now you’ve made me feel like a bully :roll:

The fact is that the Schwarzer deal is in serious doubt so we may have to prepare ourselves for backing Almunia as I believe he will continue to be the No.1 if we don’t sign another keeper today.

33. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: He may well not be good enough but I think that when this day is over he will be as good as it gets!

True gunnerN5, I said as much in my previous comment.

35. gunnern5 says:

With the amount of time required to negotiate both the transfer fee and the player compensation and then a medical one would have to think that if we are going to sign anybody they would have to be taking their medicals as we write?

36. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

You know the saying “you always hurt the one you love”, why did you and Big Al fallout? :-)

Hi Red Arse,

I wanted a new keeper 2 years ago as I could see then that Almunia wasn’t cutting it.

Have a look at what I wrote in February when we were in with a chance of the prem – I highlighted Almunia as the one player who needed to step up – he let us all down

38. Red Arse says:

I know I have said this before, but I distinctly remember Arsene saying at he end of last season that he wanted to strengthen the defense before the WC, AND he did not see a need for a new GK.

O.K. he got the “before the WC” wrong and I suspect he wanted to buy an ageing GK for peanuts just to keep the fans quiet. Perhaps he misjudged the amount that would cost too?

I’m a bit afraid of GN5 but I’m going to say this anyway, Big Al made some blinding saves against Barca at the Emirates, otherwise I think we could have lost by 10.

Red Arse,

Are you forgetting how Almunia got lobbed and beaten at the near post in the away leg against Barca? A keeper needs to be consistant. The great saves he made in the first leg were all on the ground, he is weak in the air and flinches when a powerful shot comes in.

40. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Just kidding. Not wishing to steal your thunder, I too thought that Arsene should have bought a massively talented GK after mad Jens left.

Almunia is an O.K. GK but that’s all. We have always needed more.

41. gunnern5 says:

Red Arse: I agree and have already commented that he is a good/great shot stopper but unfortunately the rest of his game is below par – way below!

I remember watching Jack Kelsey in the 50’s and was in awe of his dominance and power.

For whatever reason goalkeeping has been our biggest weakness since David Seaman left.

42. gunnern5 says:

My worst nightmare of Almunia was him flopping the ball into the net from Nani’s
    shot/cross – UGH!

Here’s a joke,

Fabio Capello has been forced to draft in Arsenal Rookie keeper James Shea during training due to injuries to his other keepers. Shea is at least 5th in line at Arsenal with Almunia at the top (he’s not even in Spain’s top 5) and he is training with the England squad …. you couldn’t dream it up. But the best of luck to young Shea who is apparently a good prospect for the future – where have I heard that before? :oops:

44. thelittlemozart says:

from The SUn

Harry Redknapp jokes “we’ve spoken to Lionel Messi” as he is asked if there’s anyone he fancies signing while he drives into Spurs’ training ground.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

45. London says:

Hi Rasp

I believe that 37 year old Schwarzer will be brought initially as back up to Almunia. Most importantly the Australian will be there in the event that Almunia gets injured before an important Champions League game. Wenger no longer completely trusts Fabianski in those kind of games if he he did I don’t believe he would be entertaining the idea of buying a new keeper at all.

I am not suggesting that just because Almunia played well on Saturday all is forgiven, but I am saying that I think Wenger trusts Almunia more than we do.

As for your dig at me over Djourou, we have played three matches, Kozzer being involved in only two, within those he has been sent off and was guilty for Blackburn’s equalizer, a tad early to be sure that he will dominate that position over Djourou wouldn’t you agree. That said, I naturally hope he goes on to be a star but I don’t think that Wenger gives a monkeys whether Kozzer cost eight million and Djourou cost two or what ever it was. Our manager only wants what he sees as the best for the team of that we might find common ground.

Ok London,

I hear your sincerity. I cannot agree that Schwarzer will be bought to play second fiddle to Almunia. I think Schwarzer will play before Almunia and kozzer before Djourou simply because they are better players. I wouldn’t suggest that they would be played simply because of any fee paid.

P.S. no dig intended, sorry if it read like that :)

48. tommystout says:

good morning rasp, london….
    i’m not so sure that scwarzer will be bought..
    the tweetworld seems very downbeat about it at the moment.
    surely schwarzer would have been seen around arsenal locations by now and there is not a peep.
    i also hear that wenger was watching england train and offered them the loan of shea, i wonder if he’s still watching and if he is still watching then why is he not busy with the finding a new GK thing. Maybe GK is not a problem for him.

49. tommystout says:

The longest run of consecutive league games played by Robin van Persie in his Arsenal career is just 14.

Hi Tommy,

Yes, Shea was actually drafted in because he was on hand, not because Capello has any intention of including him in the England squad – still, it must be nice for the lad

51. tommystout says:

sorry rasp i wasnt implying he was in contention for the england squad.
    england needed a keeper for the other end of the pitch and wenger was on hand and offered shea.
    would be good if he made a good impression though!

52. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Blimey, now it would appear that even if Schwarzer is signed, he will be on the injured list.

53. tommystout says:

Keep watching Vyacheslav Malafeev, reports in Russia say that he is on his way to fulham. Hes a goalkeeper!!!

That’s a hot tip tommy, there is some mileage in that I believe.

55. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Well Ladies & gents, if what tommy says is true, then by sparrow fart tomorrow morning AEST, Arsenal should have a new goalie. Night Night all

Totnum are going to announce a ‘big signing’ this afternoon – probably a striker…. its anyone’s guess, it won’t be Fabiano or Huntelar – could it be Ade?

…. could it be Hleb?

58. tommystout says:

huntelaars gone to schalke.
    fulham now saying that MS will not be leaving during this transfer window :-(

59. tommystout says:

thought hleb was birm C bound!

60. tommystout says:

lord knows what he’ll make of living in birmingham!

I’m not sure the Brum deal is complete. Yes it makes a mockery of Hleb’s reasoning to leave Arsenal. ‘arry has tried to sign Hleb before.

Today is a classic example of managers lying because they have to. If its Ade, then citeh have been lying. Jerome Anderson is unlikely to tell a lie as his professional reputation would be damaged.

62. London says:

Spuds deserve Greedy

I agree London, but we know what will happen when he plays against us …. he’s already done it for citeh.

If you asked any spud a couple of years ago which Arsenal players they hated the most, they would have said Gallas and Ade … its laughable.

I would rather concentrate on us than Spurs.

This whole last day transfer day is like Xmas coming early for the media. All these reliable sources claiming this one or that one has exclusively signed for so and so, is usually pure fabrication.

65. London says:

Like Christmas, yes, but I feel like we have some how found our way onto Santa’s naughty list.

66. Red Arse says:

Your right London, “the little boy that Santa Claus forgot”. :-(

67. ArseChicago says:

I saw on ESPN this morning speculation that Spunks were going after Ryan Babel as he was apparently on his way to London. I know Arsene was fond of Babel in the past, so any chance that we could be plucking Babel from Liverpool? I guess I’d be giddy at the prospect of Babel on the left and Theo on the right of a 4231 setup. I have a strange suspicion that Wenger’s going to pull some surprise move NOT involving a GK.

68. Red Arse says:

AC,

The betting is he is going to the ‘Ammers in exchange for Carlton Cole.

69. tommystout says:

Alex Hleb HAS revealed that he turned down offers from Liverpool, Spurs & Benfica before signing for Birmingham.
    who was it earlier who said that ‘arry was obsessed with ex arsenal players ??? ;-)

70. Red Arse says:

After all the expectation of a last day blur of activity, all the blogs have gone into a sort of torpor! :-(

71. tommystout says:

well at least i got to learn a new word off you Red – Torpor :-)

72. Irishgunner says:

I’m not getting angry till 6 o’clock….

shite this is boring, c’mon with the transfers all ready

73. Red Arse says:

Tommy,

Your 4:17, :-)

74. dandan says:

Afternoon guys, just back from the hospital, gums cut and stitched, throbbing like hell, cant eat sod all and no new keeeeeeeeeeper…… What a bloody lousy day
    Is it Rasps fault I ask

It could be Babel going to totnum?

The Schwarzer deal is not totally dead and buried. They have said he will not be allowed to leave, unless they find a suitable replacement.

Hi dandan,

Ouch, I empathise, I’ve had a few painful hours at the dentists this year – hope your throbbing goes down soon ;)

77. dandan says:

cheers Rasp. Dentist to theatre nurse when she didnt know I could hear, jesus that was a f……g nightmare. She’s telling me, scalpel and drill to take a tooth out.

78. dandan says:

is there any hopefull signs on a keeper Rasp

79. Red Arse says:

Dandan, stop it. My greatest fear! So far so good!

80. Irishgunner says:

Babel is staying at Liverpool according to his twitter page

81. tommystout says:

some italian keeper called doni is sposed to be enroute to fulham however i cant see it been done in time… its all pooh!
    anyway i think its time to get behind almunia… or has the damage been done!

Why don’t we give Fulham €3m and Almunia?

tommy,

Our own AW didn’t exactly give Almunia a vote of confidence. I don’t hold with this idea that bloggers are responsible for undermining a player’s confidence. I’m sure the reaction in the ground has a far greater impact on them.

dandan,
    Fulham finding a new keeper in the next 45 minutes and us hovering over a ready made contract is the only slim hope of landing Schwarzer I think.

84. Irishgunner says:

45 mins left…..

it’s all gone dead with schwarzer.i don’t think it’s the bid,its a number of circumstances like a chain in a house purchase,so we have got to get behind the spaniard and hope for the best.
    i actually feel sorry for almunia, he won’t improve at his age so let’s hope the defence can help soften the blow by picking up on set pieces and alike.

Don’t be daft Raddy, Fulham are much more ambitious than that :roll:

who said hangeland was a done deal ;)

i would raddy, but it’s all on deposit at the moment ;)

89. dandan says:

Oh dear, but I suppose sparky has only done with Schwarzer, what we did with Cesc, so cant realy complain can we.

Of course we can DanDan. Sparky is Welsh which says all we need to know

Its evens with the bookies for Babel to join the spuds – that must be the ‘big signing’ Jerome Anderson was referring to.

…… but not according to Babel himself :roll:

Not a lot to be said really……

94. Irishgunner says:

I should have kept on walking – I’m not going to get angry… Almunia might be fine :?

95. dandan says:

Now have I ever told you what a good GK Almunia is :-)

So Traore has gone,and according to Almunia he knew his position was secure and aims to prove it.I always rated him (cough)

97. Red Arse says:

I thought I heard a Spanish chuckle just now.

Hee Hee, I em Beeg Al, wotta mistaka to makaa. :-)

You watch the anti Wenger abuse on many blogs tomorrow or even tonight.

Almunia has to have BELIEF stay MENTALLY STRONG and it will all work out in the end.

Andy Pandy is waiving goodnight :)

I was right it has already started on the other channel, calling AW all the names under the sun.

Do any of us really know what went on behind the scenes ? Answer is NO.

I like many are not overjoyed that we haven’t signed a class keeper (and I don’t mean Schwarzer) but our defence already looks more solid and up to a fight so to speak, so things might not be so bad.

I disagree Kelsey. Once more this is rank bad management.

I only put that on to bait you BR :) and you took it.

Baited and hooked :-D

103. SharkeySure says:

Evening all

I’m not too bothered about what did or did not happen behind the scenes, we needed a new goalkeeper, and we should have had a new goalkeeper.

To start the season without the new keeper was bad enough, but to let the deadline pass is ****ing unbelievable.

I’m now clinging to the slim hope that we simply haven’t announced the new signing and that it will ‘pop up’ later this evening.

If it doesn’t then its gross negligence on Arsene’s part, I just can’t see it any other way. Even if it turns out that Gazidis messed something up today, I ;ll stick Arsene why he was even trying to complete the signing this late in the day, leaving no room for a contingency.

I have never been as perplexed by Arsene Wenger as I am today. Very very disappointing.

I can almost add that whatever abuse he’s getting over on the other site…is prob fully justfied. Why mist of us are not driven to abusing our great leader, I’d challenge almost anyone to explain this one.

Bollox to scanning news now for the next four hours, I’m tuning right out of the whole thing, and I’ll only check it just before bed.

Night all

104. SharkeySure says:

stick = *still ask*

105. 26may1989 says:

Sorry to say it but this has to go down as a real failure for Wenger and Gazidis. It all hinged on Shay Given either forcing City to let him move to us or, more likely, to Fulham so that the Aussie could move to us. Mark Hughes protected his club’s interests though he probably wanted to swap Schwarzer for Given. But once Given changed his mind about leaving, we were in trouble. It looks like there really was no Plan B. Meanwhile, Spurs got Croatia’s first choice keeper as additional back-up to Gomes…..

Oh dear. But Almunia till Xmas it is.

I have to defend Wenger here to a point.He can only identify the players he wants,he doesn’t do the negotiating.If Dein was still here,I doubt this would have happened.However he should have been more ruthless and demanding to the BoD for a new keeper and unfortunately he has egg on his face, as he takes all the flack for himself and others.

107. thelittlemozart says:

i reckon Big Al will be the most improved player for arsenal this season as happened to both alex song n emmanuel eboue..mark my words..

108. London says:

Well said that man.

109. East Stand Lower says:

I agree totally with SharkeySure’s last post, I’ve been waiting all day for an announcement of us signing a new keeper & even now waiting for a late signing, but it’s not gonna happen is it. will check befor bed but I don’t know if it’s worth bothering.

110. London says:

I can’t wait for our next game against Bolton, I expect big Al to continue his superb form he showed against Blackburn.

111. 26may1989 says:

Too generous Kelsey – I doubt it had anything to do with negotiations, Fulham would’ve done the deal if they had a replacement. Why depend on something beyond our control when Almunia’s position had been undermined by bids for Schwarzer that had become public news?

112. Red Arse says:

I am gutted that another Tfr Window has come and gone without any uplifting signing.

But the difference is that i have not expected a signing on the last day.

Arsene’s script is so well known by now. But Kelsey is right, Arsenal, after George Graham, keep the manager and the dosh quite separate. Blame the s*dding Board, not Arsene. How frustrated must he be, year after year.

113. 26may1989 says:

And now Sky are saying Spurs may be getting van der Vaart for only £8m. Bloody hell.

I really don’t see how not getting a keeper is the board’s fault. Had funds been the obstacle to getting Schwarzer, yes, I could understand it then, but that wasn’t what happened with Schwarzer. Wenger should have ensured there was a Plan B, he didn’t and now he’s left himself open to yet more criticism. The man knows how to make it hard for himself and for those of us who back him up. I hope Manuel rises to the challenge, and I pray Fabianski doesn’t get an appearance any time soon – if we concede a single soft goal of any importance before the next transfer window, the atmosphere may get very ugly.

What a fuck up.

114. Breezy says:

Very frustrated, it was always going to difficult to get a keeper in on the last day of the transfer window, but the fact is that we have had the whole summer to get this sorted and we didn’t it seems as if Almunia’s performance at Balckburn has bought him another season. The team seems strong all over the park except the keepers, again we’re so close but the faffing about in the transfer maket will cost us again and then we’ll have to go through the whole song and dance next year again with players wanting to leave etc

115. gunnern5 says:

I’m with Kelsey on this attempting to lay blame for us not acquiring a new(ish) goalkeeper is a fools game as we have no idea what went on behind closed doors.

In the end result I don’t think Schwrazer would have been a dramatic improvement on Almunia. Their save percentages for 2009/10 90.6/87.8 were not that far apart and that may be accounted for by the fact that Schwarzer faced 68% more shots than Almunia.

Anyway why cry over spilt milk – let’s get on with supporting our team and enjoying the season, that’s what I to plan to do – for the 64th consecutive season.

Gotta hate these international breaks.

It appears that the one who was branded as the site pessimist for his predictions this summer was in fact being over-optimistic.

I agree with Raddy. It is inexcusable that we did not sign a new keeper over the course of the summer.

I don’t care who is to blame, Gazidis, AW, the Board …. whoever. We failed to reinforce in the one area we are weakest.

117. dandan says:

26may. “if we concede a single soft goal of any importance before the next transfer window, the atmosphere may get very ugly.”

What kind of supporters talk like that, So you expect any team to go half a bloody season without a GK error, that’s cloud cuckoo land. get a life man.
    Be angry fine, but lets keep a sense of proportion in our debates

118. Chippy says:

Evening All,
    I thought a trip over here may improve my spirits but it seems the Arsenal blog land is as one for a change what a complete and utter fuck up the keeper situation is ! Another transfer window that has followed the same lines build hope in the fanbase before season renewals then when they are in release more players than we buy and turn a profit!

Hi Chippy,

I think the one word (that 26may used last night) is ambition – or the lack of it. We have a team packed with internationals. All of the top clubs have goalkeepers who are internationals. Almunia is not an international because he is nowhere near the standard. I would have some respect for the decision if we were fast-tracking Mannone or Chesney into the number one slot. Yes that would be a gamble, but not as big as the gamble of placing the fate of our season in the hands of Almunia who has proven repeatedly that he is the weakest link in the side.

120. Chippy says:

Rasp,
    To be honest I actualy fill a tad sorry for Almunia he’s now got so much added pressure on his shoulders everytime he makes a mistake it will be magnified it’s not his Fault he’s Arsenals number 1, Wenger has made a massive mistake over this and any Ire that’s aimed at Almunia should be fired at the correct target.

You know my feelings on what’s been happening these last few years and yep a total lack of ambition sums it up, But hey at least we’ve got the nicest and most expensive restaurants in the league :(

121. Hi all

I’ve had a manic day – so its really true, no new keeper then :(

I do feel sorry for Almunia, its not his fault he’s not good enough. How we could leave this until the last day is so ridiculous you couldn’t make it up really.

I agree with Rasp that at least if we knew that Mannone or Chesney were being fast-tracked there would be some hope but we know that AW will stick with Almunia.

I expected us to sign a new keeper so I am really disappointed that we haven’t not just for myself but for all of us and the rest of the team.

I agree chippy. Almunia is a decent man and, like Eboue in his troubled period, will take to the pitch and give his best. Its not his fault that his best is not good enough. We should not forget that we tried to sign Schwarzer – that is tant amount to telling Almunia that he is not good enough. Added to that, AW said a couple of weeks ago that we do not have a number 1 keeper – hardly a vote of confidence.

123. Chippy says:

Sorry Rasp forgot to add, I agree on Chesney at least the crowd would give him a chance before killing him. Add to that he’s far more vocal than any other keeper we have and even at a young age is not afraid to hand out a bollocking which is the sign of a good and confident keeper, Mannone is no better than the other two in my view,

124. Sorry chippy, I was writing mine while yours went up

Hi peaches,

You know that I’ve said to you right from the start of the summer that the so-called warchest was yet another ‘constructive lie’. YES, we had the money….. NO, we never had any intention of spendiing it on players.

126. gunnern5 says:

I think that calling this a total lack of ambition is as awful as saying it will turn ugly is he lets in a soft goal.

Then to add at least we have the most expensive restaurants is way beyond the pale. Don’t eat in them buy yourself some banger’s and mash instead.

With supporters like you it’s a wonder we achieve anything.

And no I’m not the least bit touchy I’m – simply disgusted with the level that some folks will go to in criticizing one of the best mangers and clubs in the world.

Phew……………

127. Chippy says:

Peaches
    No worries, Hope all is well.

Rasp.
    Indeed, i reckon if you go back over our posts at the end of the season this outcome wouldn’t have been s surprise, No wonder Cesc wanted out and no doubt next summer he will get his wish and the Board can pocket another lump sum whilst selling tomorrow, :( really gutted I started this morning hoping for a couple of signings but at the very least expected a keeper,

128. Its bizarre isn’t Rasp, the so called warchest gave everyone hope that the signings would be made where we needed them – well we got the centre-backs because we let people go but the keeper??????????

Do you think it came down to not spending the money where the keeper was involved or he couldn’t find one to buy that wasn’t a complicated transfer?

Hi gunnerN5,

Its all very well to voice your disgust at the opinions of others – but what can you say to defend the decision rather than attack those who are disappointed?

I haven’t read any dictionary yet that defines ‘lack of ambition’ as a heinous insult – there is plenty of that going on elsewhere. I believe everyone is conducting themselves properly on here and we have a right to express our disappointment.

peaches,

Its all about priorities. It is obvious where they lie. The clubs primary ambition is to create a rock solid financial structure. We have gone some way to achieving that, ultimate success on the pitch is lower down the scale.

The club has done amazingly well over the last 4-5 years and still retains a huge and loyal fanbase. I would imagine all our revenue streams are growing year on year – so I guess the old adage “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” applies. Why would we invest money in players when we can be financially successful without big signings?

131. Chippy says:

Gunnern5,
    Sorry I bow down to your level of support !!
    So what would you call it?
    Yep they wouldn’t want supporters like me the type that has followed the club throughout Europe had season tickets in the family for donkeys and had visited every first division team by the age of 12!! Nope they wouldn’t want me,

132. 26may1989 says:

Dandan, there’s nothing wrong with what I said – it’s a sad truth that some Arsenal fans will show precious little tolerance of goalkeeping errors this season. You’re right of course, there will be errors, I didn’t say otherwise, my point is the net effect of this summer’s failed attempt to recruit a new keeper, as well as undermining Almunia, is to put Wenger firmly in the firing line. I’m sorry about that, as you should know I adore Arsene Wenger, but having made the move and gone for a new keeper, even one like Schwarzer who wasn’t much better than Almunia, it was imperative a new keeper was brought in. Wenger will certainly get plenty of stick from the short-sighted elements if there is any perception of damage being suffered as a result – it isn’t disloyal or over the top to say that, I think it’s a simple statement of fact. So, I stick by what I said, this failure is lining up a seriously negative reaction at some later point in the season.

In the meantime, and despite his technical limitations, I’m going to be supporting the much under-estimated and very dignified Manuel Almunia. He shouldn’t have been put in this position but he’ll not be hearing anything negative from me on matchdays. And following on from Rasp’s comment, I’ll be hoping Szczesny is fast-tracked at least to the back-up keeper slot.

Anyway, at least we know the score now, we can stop second-guessing the rumour-mill for another few months and just get on with what really matters, the football.

133. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: Thank you very much but I don’t need a lesson in good manners.

My disgust is very simple and justified by the fact that the statements are that it was a “conscious decision” not to buy a goalkeeper when in fact we have no bloody idea why!

We don’t know diddly about what went on behind the scenes and yet folks boil over with anger, at the unknown, and make ridiculous statements based on their assumptions.

Just drives me crazy…….. .

Also why do you slap my wrists and think I need to justify my opinion when others just spout out their feelings?

Chippy,

We’ll all wake up in the morning, have to suffer the crowing spud fans and slowly accept the way things are. We’ll still support Arsenal unreservedly because we have no choice. I can’t stand all the name-calling on either side of the great divide, what does it achieve?

gunnerN5, you are the aggressor here. I didn’t give you a lesson in manners, I was merely defending my words which were neither insulting or disrespectful.

Are you seriously saying that a multi million pound business with a vast staff of highly paid executives could not have sourced a decent keeper for us over the duration of the summer? How do the other clubs manage it then – are they just better than us?

Of course we don’t know what was going on with Schwarzer – it was pretty obvious that sparky would not sell him to us a couple of weeks ago. What about the other keepers we could/should have been following?

136. Chippy says:

Rasp,
    Never let them barst@&@s get you down we may not have improved in a fundamental area but we will still finish in front of that lot :) The day they overtake us is the day I inject a serious amount of morphine lol Anyways enough for one night !!

Up The Arse.

137. gunnern5 says:

Well chippy to respond to your 10:05pm.

I would be very thankful to be able to have done all that you say you have been able to and I would not in any way shape or form feel the club is owing to me for my support.

You see in my 63 years of support I also have traveled with the club, although I never had season tickets I still never missed a home game 1st team or reserve game in all the time I lived in England. Since then with the advent of satellite I still never miss game.

It’s a funny thing but the Emirates sounds like a graveyard most of the time
    – but I guess that’ Arsene’ issue as well and not the paying “supporters”

138. gnarleygeorge9 says:

“Same old Arsene, always scrooging”

Its a typically ‘human’ response for frustrated fans to start attacking one another when they cannot direct their feelings at what they consider to be the source of the problem. Hopefully the good folks on here can remember we are all Arsenal supporters and disagree without personal abuse or twisting each other’s words.

140. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: I am not being aggressive I’m being defensive of my position and my feeling for our club and manager. I recognize that we have the same love for our club – but it’s expressed in a very different manner.

You see one of the things that drives me crazy are folks that feel the club owes them because they spend their money on season tickets and complain about the cost of things..

That is a general statement and not directed any anybody specifically.

If you find me offensive than I can go elsewhere – no skin off of my nose.

141. gunnern5 – I’m confused, we don’t measure a level of support by how many games people have gone to or by how much money they have spent or where they sit at the Emirates – we allow people to have their opinions and we don’t attack people for having a different opinion to our own.

There will be many – myself included – who feel that the club has shown a lack of ambition by not securing a keeper even though it seems they were trying to.

142. gnarleygeorge9 says:

…………will it be the same old excuses when he loses?

143. London says:

My conspiracy theory is as I have said several times before: Big Al is only with us to keep Cesc happy.

:lol: London,

gunnerN5, don’t be a twit! no-one wants you to go elsewhere. You’ve been embraced by everyone on here. We can disagree without mass resignation :)

145. :lol: London, you have mentioned that before :lol:

146. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Divide & conquer.

Combine Le Scrooge’s continued penny pinching & the way the British Press portray The Arsenal = Arsenal fans are @ each others throats again. It must be a constant joy for oppo fans.

I mean its not like he had to fork out a fortune the size of France’s national debt to buy a quality keeper.

Its a real disappointment, again! Its Groundhog Day ;)

147. gunnern5 says:

Peaches; To say they have a lack of ambition is saying that they don’t care.

Does that make any sense?

It’s like saying that AW couldn’t care less about getting a goalkeeper and in fact did not really try.

This is the man that works 24/7 for the club and he and the BOD took us out of the ashes of GG’s tenure and established us as one of the premier teams and clubs in the world – and they show no ambition – come on…….

Actually London, I do think that since it appears we could not sell any of our keepers (Almunia?), that may have had a bearing on the decision not to pull out all the stops in attempting to sign a new No.1

149. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: Cheers I’ve been on and off here for over 12 hours today, and I’m a testy old codger at the best of times but now I’m hungry so I’m off to barbie a rack of lamb for dinner. Oh and a few glasses of Australian Shiraz.

150. 26may1989 says:

GN5

“You see one of the things that drives me crazy are folks that feel the club owes them because they spend their money on season tickets and complain about the cost of things.” I agree 100% (or in footballers’ speak, 1000%), the sense of entitlement and betrayal amongst the more hysterical of Wenger’s critics (of whom I count none of the regulars on this site) is nauseating.

But that doesn’t mean criticisms can’t be made, far from it. My right to criticise doesn’t come from how much I spend on tickets, how many trips I’ve made across Europe following the club, how many reserve or women’s games I’ve been to, or how many articles and posts I’ve written about the club. It comes from my self-proclaimed status as an Arsenal fan. And I’m sure you agree with all of that. Just don’t lump together everyone who criticises the club or our truly magnificent manager – there is stupid, unthinking criticism and there is considered, fair criticism.

gunnerN5, in my comment @ 10:02, I tried to define the term ‘lack of ambition’ as follows:

……Its all about priorities. It is obvious where they lie. The clubs primary ‘ambition’ is to create a rock solid financial structure. We have gone some way to achieving that, ultimate success on the pitch is lower down the scale.

152. gnarleygeorge9 says:

GN5

Shiraz? Yummy :P

Enjoy

153. gunnern5 says:

26may1989:
    I delayed mu barbie just long enough to say we are totally in sync. Cheers.

Have a good evening GN5

155. gunnern5 – you are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine, I love this club, I love Arsene Wenger and I feel its a real shame that for whatever reason we haven’t secured a new no 1 goal keeper.

156. 26may1989 says:

And for the record, although (late last night) I used the phrase “lack of ambition” I did NOT say either the club or Wenger do lack ambition. What I actually said was Wenger is increasingly vulnerable to that criticism. Personally, I believe Wenger is as hungry as ever, and wants to win every competition we enter, but quite a lot of Arsenal fans don’t share my opinion.

157. 26may1989 says:

Cheers GN5, and all the best for the barbie – and since some of my wife’s cousins live in London, ON, and we owe them a visit, I may one day pop over to yours for a beer – you have been warned!!

Now back to Rollerball, epic film……

158. gunnern5 says:

26may1989:

The barbie was great:

New Zealand rack of lamb with rosemary and garlic, portabello mushrooms, vine tomatoes, asparagus, sweet potatoes, red and green sweet peppers and of course Australian Shiraz.

It’s a tough old life………but I keep hoping it will get better…..

You are welcome here anytime – you can get my email from Rasp or Peaches.
    Although a gremlin (virus) has a hold of it right and I have to fight if off…so at the moment I don’t use my desk top for email instead I use my cell phone – which is expendable..

159. gunnern5 says:

Boy oh Boy one of the advantages of time zones is that I may get the last word.

Here’s my last word(s) for today.

1) I could give a monkey’s that we didn’t get another goalkeeper as the three additions may just be enough to get us a trophy – not that I’m hung up on trophies as I’m NOT.

2) I am an ardent fan of this club and AW.
    and I am more hung up on our future well being than on current silverware.

3) I have a particular dislike for pseudo intellectuals who practice grammatical (or verbal) put downs of our less fortunate supporters or our management team.

4) I am the eternal optimist and feel that we will have some success this season..

Nighty, nighty…

160. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Spring is here, the grass has riss, I wonder where the new goalie is?

Can I add

5) The Arsenal & Spring/Summer, what a great next 6 months its going to be :cool:

161. gunnern5 says:

And the last word is Winter first then Spring and then maybe some S—– W—.

Clue being; it needs polishing.

162. rockylives says:

Oh dear.

163. dandan says:

26may, Sorry if I was a bit short with you last night, I was in a lot of pain after a hospital visit and a bit drugged up and although I accept that is no excuse, it is a fact,

Actually my stance is 100% with gunnern5 who has stated the case far more eloquently than i would have had I hung around.

Disappointment is fine but as we don’t know the actual circumstances or what future arrangements have been made, I find anger an inappropriate response to lack of knowledge. But there you go, to each his own. No doubt our keeper is quite rightly, seriously angry with his harsh and unfair treatment and will feed off that to make us eat our words.
    Now wouldn’t I just love that. Time will tell

The anger last night was not coming from those disappointed at our failure to buy in a keeper – it was from those who didn’t like others criticising the decision. All the top clubs have top keepers apart from us – if Gazidis and his highly paid team cannot secure a keeper worthy of Arsenal, perhaps it is they who should be replaced. Of course they are just acting under instructions and it is the Board who are more than happy to keep the money in the bank. Let us not forget that apart from Almunia, Schwarzer will suffer due to this pantomime. We only pursued him half heartedly and he made it very clear he wanted to join us.

2 POSTS ON THE SAME SUBJECT EH RASP ;)

Morning kelsey – apparently so ;) we may have to have a 2-post day. Its great to have the luxury of having two very good writers eager to share their thoughts.

Theres a fantastic NEW POST and another one to come later in the day ;)

168. 26may1989 says:

Dandan, I know there’s a new thread, but just to respond to your post in the correct place, thanks but don’t worry, I wasn’t upset by anything you said – disagreement is part of the game! But I hope you’re recovering well, sounds bad, whatever it is. Laters.