Arsenal were Stronger, Blackburn were Blackburn – written by peachesgooner

Written by peachesgooner

Yesterday BigRaddy asked if Arsene should risk Cesc for the visit to the Ewood Park and after 30 minutes it was clear that it was actually Mr Chocolate Legs himself that shouldn’t have been risked as van Persie was subbed after twisting an ankle. Although Cesc wasn’t himself, with passes going stray, he hasn’t had a pre-season and he is obviously going to need a few more games.

This was a big test. Blackburn launched ball after ball into our box from either Robinsons goal kicks or the ever boring towel wrapped long throw from Pederson. This was all hands to the deck and with Almunia in goal we had to hope that he would be strong and confident in what will probably have been his last game as the no 1. I have to say that I don’t think he let us down at all, even smashing his head on the upright in the call of duty and having a spat with El-Hadj Diouf.

There was an early chance for us to take the lead when a short corner surprised the Blackburn defence and Diaby unleashed a shot that struck a defender and then Robinson’s leg but refused to go into the goal. We didn’t have to wait too long though as van Persie slipped a great ball to Theo on 20 minutes and without even breaking his stride, he broke the net with his shot low into the far corner.

Typically, Blackburn equalised within minutes, as Koscielny was outrun and outmuscled by one Diouf who then slid the ball to another Diouf who had acres of space to slot it home. Dreadful defending, everyone was asleep.

Diaby was having a great game, making intelligent passes and not getting caught on the ball. To have him marking the massive Samba was reassuring. In this form you never know what Diaby is going to do next and the upcoming 2 week international break could undo all that was good yesterday, we’ll have to hope not.

Arsenal hadn’t dominated the first half and after the game Arsène felt the team were nervous, so to score early in the 2nd half was definitely the tonic we needed. Sagna went on a great run chasing a ball that looked like it was going out of play and sped towards the Blackburn goal, he found Fabregas in the middle whose shot hit Walcott and rebounded into the path of the ‘onrushing’ Arshavin and the russian slotted it neatly home.  2-1 up and just over half an hour to play.

Blackburn worked hard to find an equaliser but Arsenal for the most part were strong in defense. It was still nervy and each time the ball went out for a Blackburn corner, I covered my eyes but we passed the test. This was full on defending in our area, not having to defend as a team higher up the pitch, but those challenges will still come with other teams that want to pass the ball.

Rosicky came on for Cesc after 70 minutes and immediately added a new spark. Theo didn’t have as much of the ball as last week but was still alert late on in the game where last season he may have given up, he seems to be developing a good engine. I may get to like Alan Shearer after his comments on MOTD aimed at Hansen’s rubbishing of Theo’s performance and hat-trick last week. Hansen is obviously going to stick to his guns about Theo, but both Shearer and Lineker clearly disagree. Arsène said at the start of last season that it was Theo’s time to emerge as a great player – his prediction was accurate, but just 12 months early!

Wilshire came on with less than 10 minutes to go and was unlucky not to score after being presented with a great chance – similar to last week’s, maybe he has a chocolate leg too?

To come away from Blackburn with three points was a very good day’s work. Unfortunately it looks like we may have lost Robin for a couple of weeks but with Internationals looming that’s not a crisis. Our passing game is awesome and our resilience in defense will make other teams worried oh and that little no 14, he’s pretty good too.

Here are some player ratings from London

Almunia: credit where credit is due, one of the best performances in goal for Arsenal I am tempted to use the word commanding. 7

Sagna: solid, powerful performance, made some excellent runs, good crosses and great tackles back to his absolute best. 7

Koscielny: dealt with the aerial threat better than expected which reassures me no end but was guilty for their equaliser in my opinion. 6

Vermaelen: not quite at his imperious best, although, it is obviously no easy task dealing with Blackburn’s high ball bombardment. 6.5

Clichy, I don’t quite understand what people mean when they say he can’t defend, very little got past him and from that I form the opinion that he did his job well. 6.5

Fabrégas: If this transfer window has proved anything it is that any player who wants to move can make it happen. I say this just in case there was anyone left who still doesn’t realise rather than the majority who probably think that that statement is as banal as saying grass is green. Macherano is as good an example as it gets, a player who refused to play for Liverpool in the Europa Cup for fear of losing his dream move to Barcelona.

So, I put this question to all of you that still believe that Cesc really wanted to move back to the Catalan capital: why didn’t he do exactly the same as the Argentine? The answer is that Cesc never wanted to leave. The one thing that brought him here in the first place was that Arsenal give him the opportunity to play, so when he is fit he is the first name on the team sheet.
I don’t think he was fit and would have been far better deployed as a sub

Nevertheless, on a purely emotional level it was great to see our captain back, still clearly the most talented player we have and he will no doubt be back to his old self in the near future. 6.5

Diaby: his characteristic sloppy play was the thing I was most worried about today, dithering in the middle, leading to loss of position; we have all seen him do it. Not today, this was the player that gave a performance over and beyond his normal level, his powerful determination was the difference in the midfield and for this I make him my man of the match. 8

Song: poor first half gave the ball away far too often and I suspect he will receive strong criticism in some quarters but he was no more guilty of missed placed passes than Fabrégas. The second half was a different story, I suspect a word in his ear was had; anyway, he was back to his strong ever improving self. 6.5

Walcott: well if not going to the world cup produces this kind of performance lets start the rumour that he is not going to the next one. Now has the confidence to shout at other players when they don’t pass to him when they should, it was funny watching him tearing into Diaby, Theo was so insecure in his own performance he wouldn’t have said boo to a goose. 7.5

Van Persie: he like Cesc probably would not have started if it wasn’t for the Braga game, before that there was no need to for them to really be fit until the Chelsea game but I suspect the Champions League draw forced Wenger to step things up. In short not fit and should not have been playing but lets not forget that assist for the first goal.

Arshavin……who knows? He is in a world of his own, one minute he seems so disinterested, almost as though his mind has wandered onto what he is going to say in his blog tomorrow; then, up he pops, to save the day. I wish he would show some pleasure in scoring. I wonder how he would feel if nobody cheered when he scored. 6

70 Responses to Arsenal were Stronger, Blackburn were Blackburn – written by peachesgooner

1. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

What agreat article! it was better by far then the reports I have read in the newspapers. (I buy loads when we win) :-)

Your chocolate legs description is apt for poor old RVP. Having already lost Bendy, possibly for the season and having sold Dudu, I am worried that we could be a little light in the forwards with RVP’s inevitable injury crisis during the season.

Morning all,

Super ‘Ferrero Rocher’ of a match report peaches ;)

Has anyone noticed how much more lively and positive Sagna has been so far this season. Maybe its having kozzer behind him as opposed to Gallas, or is he just returning the player he was in his first season at THoF?

3. Red Arse says:

Hi Rasp,

Perhaps he is putting his personal family problems behind him. But you are right, last season I thought his candle was guttering, this season it has flickered into life.

Hi Red Arse,

I knew about his family problems but I thought they were a couple of years ago. I would imagine the atmosphere in the dressing room is now better without Ade and Gallas.

It was Sagna who pulled Diouf away from Almunia when the mini headbutting exchange took place, so maybe he is comfortable in the role of one of the senior established players.

Thank you for the nice compliments Red Arse and Rasp.

Rasp – you’re right about Sagna, he definitely seems to be returning to his orginal form. He has competition from Eboue for his place and we know that Eboue busts a gut to keep up with Theo so that could be an answer too.

6. barumgooner says:

Great post Peaches. It was a shame about RVP but if it keeps him out of pointless internationals it could be a blessing in disguise.

7. Breezy says:

I always thought Blackburn played at Ewood Park as opposed to the Riverside (or have I missed something which is usally the case!!). Otherwise good review I particularly please with the mettle showed by our players, nice to see the new boys also all putting in a good shift. Pleased to see Diaby and Almunia have a good one too. Allin all a good day even Robins injury has come at a good time as he nows misses the upcoming internationals.

8. Red Arse says:

Breezy,

Your tongue was firmly in cheek, I take it? :-)

Just a slip of the keyboard.

9. gunnern5 says:

6:00am here in London, Ontario.

The PDC dart tour is here in London, Ontario this weekend and it’s great to stand and chat with the best players in the world, they are very down to earth and at the same time are very serious about their job- which is playing darts. Phil Taylor is the 1st pound millionaire from the sport.

Anyway – this is a football site so….

Really happy with the game yesterday, they started off with a lot of confidence and if the double rebound had gone in I think we would have run away with the game, but we seldom have that sort of luck – do we?

After that Blackburn settled into their “parachute” play and keep dropping balls into our area, but for once we withstood their bombardment.

Their goal was well crafted and our defense were left wanting, Kozzer was left standing still and Clichy was back to front allowing them to score the simplest of goals. I thought the predictable collapse was about to happen, but we held our ground and our nerve.

Sagna did very well in holding the ball in and we got a lucky rebound off of Walcott’s rear end, from Fabregas for Arshavin to score. (Well maybe we do have that sort of luck?)

The rest of the half was not as nervy as I felt it might be but like Peaches I did look away a few times – especially when they took corners.

Other than our goal the highlight of the second half, for me, was seeing Wilshere taking down Samba – who seemed to be twice his size.

Good start to the season seven out of nine ain’t half bad – is it?

Hi Breezy,

Haha, how did we all miss that? Thanks for the heads-up.

Kozzer is still getting to grips with the Premiership and TV had a couple of uncharacterisitic lapses yesterday, but as you say, we won, we’re improving and we’re better equipped than in previous years to cope with the inevitable catalogue of injuries.

11. neva win fukall says:

All you gimpy arse fans make me laugh u bleet on about good football yet you dont win nowt?!?!?!?And how many of you clowns pay £1,800 for a season ticket??….and if you do How many of you have manual hardworking jobs????all in suits and estranged wife’s undergarments i think!!!Whats the deal with being the only club in the world that a fan can die from the dethly silence????I heard a mime artist is louder than you???can any gimps help??????

12. thelittlemozart says:

the biggest mouth on earth start to piss himself again..what a load of bullshit.. hopefully moureenio can headbutted his mouth so that he will never be able to talk, ever again..

13. gunnern5 says:

Oops, Peaches , sorry, I meant to mention that was a fine report.

Cheers – off to make breakfast now… mushroom omelet, I think, with a little cheddar cheese.

14. barumgooner says:

It was nice to see Almunia have a good positive game. If it is to be his last as an Arsenal player it was a good way to bow out. Whatever he may lack between the sticks he does seem like a decent guy and has been a good servant to the club. IMO anyway.

Morning and welcome neva win fukall,

Apart from those of us ‘gimpy Arsenal fans’ who live abroad or the opposite end of the country, the rest of us are either season ticket holders or silver members etc. We also spend a lot of time and some money running this site so that disrespectful morons like you can come on and slag us off.

Hi barumgooner,

You’re right, Almunia has done nothing wrong except ‘not be good enough’ in some very important games. He’s obviously a nice guy and no-one can doubt that he gives his best. I don’t see any other club buying him this late in the window, so if Schwarzer does join, I imagine he will be relegated to the bench rather like Shay Given.

17. barumgooner says:

True Rasp I didnt really think about that, I’ve not heard of any interest for him from another club

18. gnarleygeorge9 says:

neva win fukall

I reckon you’d do plenty of manual handworking jobs. Why don’t you get a manager & stop handling yourself :lol:

19. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

It is the law of inverse ratio, the greater the stupidity of the comment, the lower the literacy of the writer.

The double negative of the tag, may have been a clue. :-)

No offence will be taken as I doubt our “visitor” will have a clue what I mean.

Hi thelittlemozart,

We had a laugh last week about these pseudo journalists who use the term ‘swoop’ in relation to signing players. That article swoops twice :P

I thought we might at least get past Christmas before these ‘experts’ started trying to attract readers with more Cesc to Barca stories, but obviously this particular dimwit couldn’t think of anything else to write about.

Red Arse,

He is certainly not going to have a lack of misunderstanding of his failure to understand the negative positivity and extreme lack of incomprehension of the fictitious reality of his complete ignorance :lol:

22. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Ras you’re into cricket

Does Tottenham Hotspur have any Pakistani players? Losing to Wigan is a bit sus IMO :)

Hi gnarley,

I heard that ‘arry gave the whole team Lasagne the night before and then put a big bet on Wigan just before the game :?

24. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I knew it! I knew it!

25. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Your 12:00 :-)

26. Red Arse says:

Doh! I meant your 12:04 Rasp, or was it your 04:12?

I’ll ask Neva_wotsit! Ho Ho

27. neva win fukall says:

Rasp editing ….
    I’m afraid neva’s comment that was here is fairly incomprehensible, but here’s my interpretation of his car-crash English …

I’m an idiot, I’m brave enough to come on anonymously and slag off decent people yet won’t declare which team I support ….. oh, and I missed the bit at school where I might have learnt a bit about reading and writing

28. king gooner says:

neva win ful all?you sound like you you’re MANURE supporting wanker!nwfa?are u avin a larf pal?5 years yes..but then the mickey mousers are waiting 20yrs & counting for a title,the spuddies(of which you poss might be one)50 years& MANURE HAD TO WAIT 27 YEARS lol!!for their first title in donkeys-so go f***k yourself boy!!

29. gunnern5 says:

Any body interested in football – or do you all like looking smart at somebody else’s expense?

30. Morning gunnern5 – how was the omelette?

31. Apologies for the Riverside Stadium error – Blackburn are nicknamed the Riversiders so I got confused :oops: :(

Hi neva,

You’re a really tough guy obviously. I responded to your first onslaught perfectly politely in the hope that you would understand that this is not a site on which to trade insults. I thought you may be one of the many decent supporters of rival teams who have been welcomed on here because they have something interesting to say and can express themselves without insults – unfortunately I overestimated you.

I’m quite happy to admit failure in your case, and your comments will not be published on here any more.

33. gunnern5 says:

Great, that and a nice cuppa set up the morning. Multi tasking right now – F1 Grand Prix on one channel, Bolton – Birmingham on another and Coronation Street on a third, plus ArsenalArsenal and a crossword puzzle.

Aston Villa game live next and Liverpool on delay after that, oh yes and the Barclays PGA – then back off to the PDC Dart tournament.

Rough old day ahead?

Hi gunnerN5,

I can help you with the crossword ….. the clue for 5 down is: how to best describe ‘neva win fukall’, so far I’ve got w_ _k_r :lol:

35. Sounds like a really exhausting day gunnern5 – but fun ;)

36. gunnern5 says:

rasp: Actual clue = Overly bossy;
    21 letters
    4th = B
    10th= O
    12th= E
    13th= S
    18th= C

37. London says:

Hi all

Just got back from cycling up and down steep hills in Hampstead and Highgate.

Well, having read the post I am left with a similar feeling I had at the end of last week’s game. It is the Theo Walcott of posts, a hat trick when you know it could happen but you are respectfully surprised when it actually does……a fine post peaches, I have only just got your email.

That’s a tough one gunnerN5, let me know if you solve it!

39. London says:

The fact that Never win f’all did not get edited out makes me feel very proud to be a regular on this site.
    He managed to slag us of (in quite a humourous way) without swearing…..NWFA…..I think you have caught us in good moods, yesterday was a big win.

40. No worries London – I could see by your comments after the game that you had some thoughts about a post so I didn’t want to tread on your toes.

Alan Hansen must be a real mug to stick with his Theo bashing and why does Gary Lineker wear a white shirt when the others wear dark ones???????

41. London says:

Gay

42. gunnern5 says:

Rasp. Yea solved that one – Too big for ones britches.

Here’s another;
    Clue = Bounced instrument
    16 letters
    3rd U
    4th N
    5th T

GN5,

You didn’t tell me it was 5 words, I’ve been trying to find a 21 letter word :roll:

How many words is ‘bouced instrument’?

44. London says:

I thought I would add some player ratings, should anyone feel different please let me know.

Sagna: solid, powerful performance, made some excellent runs, good crosses and great tackles, back to his absolute best. 7

I don’t think he was fit and would have been far better deployed as a sub

45. gunnern5 says:

Hamilton wins Belgian Grand Prix,

46. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: The crossword only tells you how many letters there are in a clue, not how many words.

47. peachesgooner says:

London – thanks for doing the player ratings I’m going to add them to the bottom of the post aswell

48. Red Arse says:

London,

I agree with your players’ ratings, but the wriiten summaries are also interesting.

49. gunnern5 says:

London: Look at the replays of the Blackburn goal – where was Sagna.
    I think he’d gone fishing – and we caught a cold.
    He vacates his position far too often for my liking. Defending is job number one for full backs. He did atone for this with his great run to set up the winner but both he and Clichy were as culpable as Kozzer on their goal.

50. I wondered where Sagna was for their goal – who were the three players stood like statues when Diouf 2 received the ball – Vermaelen, Clichy and Song?

51. London says:

gunner5

My view is that it only looks like Sagna went fishing becasue Koscielny made such a pigs ear of covering him. If it wasn’t for Sagna charging down the wing we would not have got the second goal, his contribution was out standing I am sure you would agree.

52. gunnern5 says:

London: Frankly I don’t agree, you see Sagna being out of position caused Vermaelen and Clichy to move over allowing Diouf room to run in behind them to score the goal. None of our defenders looked good on the goal but IMHO it was directly Sagna’s fault. On another day that could have cost us points.

What would you have said if the ONE mistake was made by Almunia and we had dropped points?

53. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: Bounced instrument = Counterfeit check. Canadian spelling.

Afternoon all

Back to the game.I made a few observations yesterday,and i can only re iterate that the goal we gave away was school boy defending.
    It will be interesting to see if Kos keeps his place with the arrival of sqiggy,though I feel we are going to see a lot more rotation than in previous seasons.
    As mentioned above with RVP when never knows how many games we will get from him, and Arshavin though he scored a not so easy goal, needs to get more committed on the field, though I doubt we will get that over 90 minutes.
    I like chamakh and now theo is brimming with confidence,though I would have liked to see him have more of the ball, as he ran the Blackburn defence ragged.
    With nasri out for 4 weeks,double that to 8 we need Cesc to regain full sharpness quickly.
    I thought Diaby had a great game bar say 15 minutes.he is such a talent that it would be a shame if he didn’t fulfil his potential.
    4 points away from home is very acceptable.

Anyone see hart’s awful dive against bent’s equally awful struck penalty.If that was Almunia he would be hung drawn and quartered.

55. London says:

Gunner5

When I first saw it I felt the same as you, but with more careful study, I don’t think Sagna was out of position. He is a wing back not a full back and it is this slight difference where I think you are getting confused.
    Sagna was not out of position when charging down the wing before sending the ball across for Fabrgas to shoot — the rebound as we know was put in by Arshavin. He was if fact doing exactly the same thing when they scored. When a wing back goes forward and play breaks down it is the CB job to cover, Koscielny’s job to be precise, he messed up by failing to tackle Djouf, he is to blame.

56. dandan says:

Little jack was arrested last night and released on bail earlier today, it is not known what for at this time

57. 26may1989 says:

Young Guns are saying it relates to the assault of a woman.

58. London says:

Oh dear.

59. Irishgunner says:

Naughty, Naughty Jack…

Lets let the whole story come out first, well I will before I comment.

60. dandan says:

latest statement

The statement read: “Jack Wilshere was arrested by police in the early hours following a fracas but was released on bail later. The police have made it very clear that he is an important witness to the incident and played the role of peacemaker and is unlikely to face any charges as a result. Jack has made it very clear he will co-operate fully with the police investigation.”

61. London says:

That sounds better but why would the police arrest a witness.

62. Irishgunner says:

Maybe he was just brought in for questioning, tis like the media to change a word to make it sound more dramatic.

63. 26may1989 says:

Usually, the person arrested is suspected of having committed a criminal offence, but a person can be arrested if he or she is at risk of suffering injury. That said, I wouldn’t rely on the statement from LJ’s PR people – while they may be right, he is unlikely only to be a witness in the eyes of the police. But there’s a big difference between an arrest and a charge, and anyway, the police often get the wrong end of the stick.

64. gunnern5 says:

London: It’s now 7:14pm here on the 29th and 00:14 am in England on the 30th so maybe you won’t see this message.

I find the term “wing back’ to be ludicrous and suited more to American football than English football.

What you are suggesting is that we only have two central defenders and the rest of the team are free to roam at their hearts content.

You seem to have created a new line up that sounds like 1- 2- 6 -2 with 1 being the goalkeeper.

You should consider drinking less.

65. dandan says:

Hi gunner5, I feel somehow you are in a mischievous mood, You like me were fortunate enough to see England win the world cup in 66. and will be well aware that Ramseys innovation was to do away with wingers ie. Terry Pain and instead utilise the fullbacks to push forward in to the resultant space, he called this system wing backs as they used to overtake the Half backs who along with the inside forwards. Were today’s midfielders in the old 2.3.5. system that was the norm. the five being forwards.

Morning all,

GunnerN5, is it me or are you a trifle tetchy at the moment?

The term ‘wingback’ has been used for several years in football and is a system employed by most of the successful European clubs like Barcelona. When the wingbacks bomb forward and offer an overlapping option to the wide midfielders, the holding midfielder(s) or sweeper generally drop back to cover for them. For this reason the midfielders have to have ‘good engines’ and be able to cover a lot of ground.

67. London says:

I’m going to let this one slide for the good of the site.

Theres a NEW POST

69. 26may1989 says:

Terminology debates like “what does wing-back mean?” are a bit of a cul de sac, but I disagree with GN5 on his main point, that Sagna was out of position for Blackburn’s goal. Having marrauding full backs (or wing backs, whatever), means the defence will be exposed to counter attack, so the remaining defenders, esp the CBs and the defensive midfielder, will be under pressure at some point. That’s one reason why we, an attacking team, need the highest quality defensive players. I can see why Vermaelen, Clichy and Song were criticised for their covering play for the goal but the prinicipal failure was Koscielny’s, who I’m sure will learn. But Sagna wasn’t particularly at fault for where he was.

Re Almunia, I agree though, had he been in any way at fault for the goal we conceded, he would have been slated. All GKs make mistakes, Reina in the first week, Hart this week for example. Almunia had a great game in one of our hardest away games. But the fact remains, he has failed once too often in the past. I hope that wasn’t the end of his Arsenal career but it might be. If it was, a great performance to go out on.

70. [...] Arsenal Were Stronger, Blackburn were Blackburn [...]