Arsenal Crush Blackpool 6-0 – written by London

What a great day, a day that sent me through a whole gamut of emotions, starting with goose bumps when the stadium first came into sight, pride as I saw how the Arsenalisation had progressed (Gazidis, not having the pesky irritant of the transfer market to distract him has obviously been able to focus on this during the summer). We now have photos of all the Arsenal captains, large murals of Cesc, the stands have been renamed; I now sit in the West Stand, we no longer have that dirge of an Elvis song to listen to as the players come out but best of all we have the clock back.

The club tried to turn this into a historical moment by letting fire works off as they announced its return; the fire works were a bit tame but the atmosphere that it created was up there with some of the best I have experienced at the Emirates so much so that I must confess it brought a few man tears to my eyes and if that wasn’t enough emotion for one grown man to cope with the players then took to the field wearing a proper Arsenal kit…..happy days.

It’s hard to imagine a more perfect opposition for our first home game of the season. Blackpool not only failed to park the proverbial bus but they foolishly tried to play football, the result being a six-nil mauling which sent them and their vocal supporters packing back up the motor way, tails between their legs while at the same time sending our confidence into orbit.

Wenger must be delighted; every single player got exactly what he needed from the game whether it be fitness, minutes on the pitch, scoring goals or the boost of confidence that comes from simply doing your job properly.

There were no stragglers in the Arsenal team everyone put in a shift, although, there was one who went beyond the call of duty, beyond what we have come to expect of him: Walcott put in a performance to silence his critics such as me, a performance to make us proud, a performance that easily justifies the award of Man of the Match.

The cynic in me still wants to see him prove that he can shine against more reputable defences before being totally convinced but as the saying goes “you can only beat the team that is put in front of you” and today Theo tormented anyone who went near him, scoring a hat trick along the way and setting up so many chances for others it was hard to keep count, although, three gilt edged gems for Chamakh, which he missed, remain in mind.

Arsenal took to the field in the confident knowledge that they were superior in every department to Blackpool and a comfortable win being the only acceptable outcome. Within minutes of the start slick Wengerball was on display which quickly led to the first goal; some superb inter play between Chamakh, Rosicky and Arshavin who rolled the ball to Theo to side foot home with power, the pressure was off and the teams settled into their expected roles.

Blackpool tried to make a fist of it coming close shortly after when they sent in a high ball to the far post which was met by one of their players who should have brought the score level. I do not expect Blackburn to be so generous next week.

Still, there was a game to be won; well, a game of sorts, as any resemblance to a competitive match was snuffed out when Chamakh was brought down in the box resulting in a penalty and a red card which reduced Blackburn to ten men. Arshavin dispatched it with ease but what gave me the biggest thrill of this goal was that he actually celebrated. I pay good money to watch the games and I want to enjoy the goal scoring experience as much as possible and someone putting their finger on their lips as if to signify silence does not do it for me, I’m a jump in the air kind of guy and I want our players to do the same.

Where was I, ah yes Theo’s second, our third, now this was class, one of my biggest criticisms of Theo is that he cannot operate in tight spaces, well that went out the window when he swivelled to score this gem.

Half time came and beer was dutifully drunk, out came the good guys for the second half and just when it looked like we might have a player to moan about up pops Diaby to half volley a very well taken forth.

Theo shortly after got his third from yet more great interplay and a very cool finish. Five nil up on the first home game of the season and you may ask how much fun can one set of supporters have in an afternoon, a darn sight more is the answer to that as Arsenal prepared to bring on Fabrégas and Van Persie, there was a moment of humour as Blackpool seemed to be doing anything they could to avoid the ball going out of play which would have enabled the change but eventually, of course, it did and on came our two World Cup finalists to a humongous reception.

It was difficult to top this but in an attempt to do so someone came up with the novel idea of scoring a goal from a corner, what I hear you say, Arsenal don’t do that, well they did yesterday, a beautifully flighted ball from Van Persie which was powerfully headed home by Chamakh. This went some way to make up for his earlier misses, although, this wasn’t a day to start pointing fingers but there is no doubt that the goal was an important confidence booster for him.

Six nil and a fine day was had by all. This only leaves one outstanding question: which knickers did Peaches choose to wear to the game? We won didn’t we; the answer is obviously the old lucky ones (clean of course).

101 Responses to Arsenal Crush Blackpool 6-0 – written by London

1. Gunner38 says:

Great post. We were super-efficient, with lots more to come. Really pleased for Theo – and how world class does Rosicky look? Only downer from yesterday was listening to the bell-end that is Alan Hansen, who managed to highlight Theo’s inadequate play! Tosser.

Morning Gunner38,

Yes, I thought Rosicky and Sagna were top drawer. It just goes to show how much more adventurous Sagna can be when he doesn’t have to worry about defending so much, maybe Koscielny’s pace and footballing ability will allow him to go forward more.

It is clear that with Rosicky, Nasri Jack (and hopefully Ramsey) we don’t have to be too concerned about life after Cesc.

3. dandan says:

Rasp, The real problem with Cesc going is that in my opinion he is the one real leader in that side. TV may prove to be one now Gallas has gone, but he is not a standout leader at the moment, We need a 30 year old French centre back who can talk Australian to bring the back unit together

4. dandan says:

Sorry London that was a great read well done

:lol: dandan,

It will be interesting to see if Schwarzer plays for Fulham today. If he is refusing to play for them, you would expect that they will be forced into selling him.

I wouldn’t like any player to do that to us, but it would mean they’d have to accept the £2m. There must be some covert communication between Schwarzer/his agent and someone at Arsenal.

Oops, me too, excellent match analysis London.

We obviously do have a strong squad as we’ve got multiple injuries and Fab and RvP playing bit parts yet we put in a fantastic performance like that.

The only very small criticism is that we appeared to take our foot off the gas a bit in thew 2nd half and I’d have liked to see really crank up the goal difference.

7. London says:

Morning all

Having had a couple of days back I have now refocused and find myself squarely in Dandan’s camp…….I believe two more signings will happen, a Frenchman and an Australian.

I think what persuaded me was the thought of what if Vermaelen gets a serious injury, an eventuality that surely must have crossed Wenger’s mind, the answer must be that we need experienced back up, the same applies to Almunia in many ways.

8. dandan says:

Rasp I think there is more chance of me playing in goal for the Arse next week than Schwartzer not signing.

The CB and maybe a defensive midfielder are the interesting ones, I watched Diarby and little Jack yesterday, it convinced me we need a tackler to understudy song. With a new CB TV could do it on the occasions we need to play two holders or when Song is injured, Eastmond is another possibility, but the injury to Frimpong has caused real problems in terms of backup.

Morning London,

Straight back into the groove with a super write-up ;)

What do you read into Djourou not playing yesterday – or is he still injured?

The critism that plank Hansen directed at Cesc (no good when he has to think) is more applicable to Diaby which is why he will never make a reliable DM. I see Diaby as a squad player who we should let go if someone is prepared to offer £8-10m for.

11. dandan says:

Rasp I fear Djourou is our sick note, Maybe RVP is in that club too obviously the latter is more important than the former.

12. dandan says:

Who is capable of reorganising the side on the field when things are going wrong or we have an injury. That in my view is the real major problem, No natural leaders apart from Cesc

13. London says:

Nasri’s injury gave Wilshere the opportunity of ninety minutes yesterday rather than his customary seventy; he was good for his age but he was still the weakest Arsenal player out there. I would be surprised if he starts next weekend; we need all the experience we can get against Blackburn…..did anyone see them on MOTD? They played their usual game of piling their big men into the box, pushing the goal keeper around at every opportunity…….if Koscielny plays we will really find out just how good he is……here’s to wishing him luck, he is going to need it.
    Almunia will not do well but after watching the highlights last night it made me realise that no keeper does.

14. Red Arse says:

London,

I only watched the full ninety minutes on Sky last night and it is not the same as being at the game, of course, but I loved the game and your piece was spot on with what I saw.

A very good review! :-)

15. London says:

Hi Rasp

I think Wenger’s team selection had one eye on next weekend.

I read Djourou on the bench to mean that he is still not quite fit and if not ninety minutes for Song and the fitness that comes with it was more important as his role will be critical against Blackburn.

16. Red Arse says:

I noticed that Djourou was on the bench yesterday which means he was either not fully fit, or that already he has slipped even further down the pecking order.

I hope not, because although Song is a very acceptable back up GB, he is naturally a much better midfielder.

17. London says:

Thanks RA

I added those extra bits about the ground and the atmosphere for those suppoters who were unfortunately unable to attend.

18. dandan says:

I agree LJ is unlikely to start London. he has had two games. Cesc will be back, watch for the early let them know you are there, big Sam doctrine, if the ref steps on it fine, if not I think things may go off. These players have matured and will not take kickings

19. London says:

Hi Dandan

I don’t even think that Cesc will start next weekend, I see a midfield of Rosicky, Song and Diaby.

20. London says:

Actually the whole team I see to start next weekend is this:

———-Almunia
    Sagna,Koscielny,Vermaelen,Clichy
    —–Rosicky,Song,Diaby
    –Eboue,Chamakh,Arshavin.

There is no need to rush Cesc or the Boy Wonder back.

21. tommystout says:

brill report London
    rasp – wenger said in fridays press conf that djorou was short for saturday.
    i fear for next week even if we have schwarzer, blackburns tactics really are abismal.
    twitter gossip is that we are definately talking to real madrid, though they know not about what……. my feeling is that it is about clichy!

22. dandan says:

Interesting and I can see your reasoning, Almunia may have been replaced by then he will be a liability in that crowded a penalty area.

23. dandan says:

Tommy maybe that is why the Traorie discussions with Benfica were discontinued, he would want to stay if Clichy went

24. tommystout says:

thanks DD

As I wasn’t there I can’t confirm that peaches actually took her knickers off after Theo’s third went in.

Oh, very nice summary London, but as has been mentioned Blackburn will be a different game altogether.
    Have to say on the whole The Sunday Supplement were full of praise for Theo.

26. Jose Reyes says:

it was ok i mean beating blackpool at home with ten men is nothing to get excited about. we still need a centre back and as we all know a bluddy goalkeeper. also if walcott finds some consistensy i may have to like him a bit

27. Evo in Oz says:

evening all, great win, great team play!

28. Red Arse says:

Jose,

You sound a bit like a man who wins £1m on the lottery and says “it’s O.k., but I would have preferred £10m”. :-)

I know what you mean, but for the first game of the season, it can’t be bad! :-)

29. Evo in Oz says:

that was easily the best game i have ever seen walcott play – can he replicate that more that once this season, that will be the no.1 question!

Welcome Jose,

I’d say Theo is no less consistent than your namesake was when he played for us, but I take your point. I agree about the gk and CB but if it doesn’t happen I’m still optimistic after having seen the first two games of the season.

If we come away from Blackburn with all 3 points, my ‘belief’ will be complete!

31. Afternoon all – great write-up London and they were clean of course but I’ll have to keep the rest a secret in case it all ends up being my fault ;)

I was amazed that MOTD managed to fit in all our goals in the customary 2 minutes – thank goodness we didn’t score 12!

Didn’t see MoTD, but I find it unbelievable that Theo got criticised. In addition to his hat trick he made chance after chance for other players and got good crosses into the box on numerous occasions – he even tracked back and did some good defensive work. The MoTD pundits clearly can’t watch all the games in their entirety (they probably watch one game live) so the ‘line’ they choose to take is either preconceived from their own prejudices (or to garner headlines) or is given to them by one of the producers. Whatever the case, it just makes Hansen look like an idiot.

33. dandan says:

Rocky his bathroom mirror does that every day, he is a bitter man, another of the its not fair I didn’t earn that kind of money and I was a superstar brigade

Btw – good write-up London. I read somewhere that London Calling was played before the game, which sounds like a very good idea. Maybe this could be our ‘walk out of the tunnel song’ – it would lay claim to Arsenal being THE London team.

In the absence of any player ratings, here’s an offering:

Almunia: Had little to do: 6

Sagna: Defended well and was more progressive than usual. His crosses are still (literally) hit and miss: 7

Vermaelen: Not greatly threatened but was calmly efficient. 7

Song: Took a little while to get the cobwebs off but soon slotted in to his role: 7

Clichy: Outjumped for the Tangerines’ one serious chance of the game, but otherwise solid and offered some good overlapping on the left: 6.5

Diaby: Always an enigma: some over-elaboration which caused him to lose the ball, some dynamic bursts and a great goal: 7

Wilshere: Lack of experience showed at times, but Jack never hides and will get better and better. Could have had a great goal but fluffed at the finish: 6.5

Rosicky: Pulled all the strings. His best display ever for us. Would be MoTM if not for a certain hat-trick boy: 9

Walcott: Hardly put a foot wrong. If he carries this form forward every defence will fear him. His composure in front of goal gives the lie to the ‘headless chicken’ criticism that’s often made of him: 9.5

Arshavin: Some of his passes didn’t come off and you get the sense his form is not fully back, but his movement was good (pulling defenders out of position) and flashes of class shone through: 7.5

Chamakh: Worked tirelessly, holds and moves the ball well. Missed a couple of chances but got the goal he deserved. Will only get better: 7.5

Subs: The substitutions took something away from our fluency, but it was a great chance for a low-pressure run-out for players like Cesc and RvP.

Fabregas: Looked a little rusty, but his touch will come: 6

Van Persie: Ditto: 6

Vela: Great cameo moment when he almost scored a goal of the season. Many remain to be convinced, but he’s clearly in the boss’s reckoning for this season: 6.5

35. London says:

Great player ratings RL, there isn’t a word or a number that I disagree with.

36. London says:

RL

London calling was played but it wasn’t the walk out of the tunnel song, the song chosen for that was the one I think they used to play at Highbury perhaps someone can help with the title.

Hi Rocky,

You are officially appointed as the Player Rating Operative (PRO for short) since I agree with London, your assessment is spot on.

38. London says:

Rasp

What is the name of the song that they came out to yesterday, it goes something like: right here, right now, right here, right now.

I’m over the moon that Cesc has stayed with us, but in Rosicky, Nasri and (in time perhaps) Wilshere and Ramsey I think we have playmakers who would step into the starting eleven of virtually ever other PL side. Wouldn’t it be great if TR7 stayed fit this season.

London, it’s ‘Right Here Right Now’ by Jesus Jones (I think).

Unfortunately I wasn’t at the game London, my daughter went and tells me it was Right Here, Right Now, by FatBoy Slim.

Apparently the players are each submitting a favouries playlist and yesterday’s was Jack Wilshire’s.

The club are going to produce a CD that supporters can buy :roll: – I’m not joking!

Hi Rocky, I don’t know which version it was – you may be correct.

Villa losing 4 nil to Newcastle by the way.

44. Red Arse says:

Excellent rating Rocky! Or should I say PRO. :-)

Really first class display, despite all the “it’s only 10 man Blackpool” cries.

I loved it and hope there are many more “it’s only ……….”. :-)

And Dandan is spot on about Hansen. dear oh dear, he is well past his sell by date on MOTD.

Apparently the Blackpool fans were great yesterday. I’m told they were singing one song all through the game which was something about just being happy to be here.

Those Tangerine fans are going to make the most of this season and fair play to them. They won’t have expected much from yesterday but at least they got the chance to visit THOF.

47. London says:

It’s true, they were very good. I don’t know the words to the song they were singing but they sang it for ninety minutes.

I expect it to get more spicy as we near the end of the transfer window. The Blackburn game is 3 days before the close – that could be interesting if our old weaknesses are exposed.

Rasp, think you’re right about it being the FatBoy Slim version.

Unbelievable!!! Newcastle 6 Villa 0….. There must have been more goals scored in the first two rounds of matches this season than ever before.

OK, a challenge, someone provide a reasoned explanation as to why so many goals are being conceded/scored this season.

51. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

The managerless Villa have just been smashed 6:0 by Newcastle.

Hope the Wenger Out plonker can take a hint. :-)

52. Red Arse says:

Plonker = plonkers :oops:

Stockdale in goal for Fulham who are already 1 nil down against manu.

Super read London.

Appalling defending is the reason Rasp. Just seen Hangeland score an o.g. and gift 3 points to MU.

And now a penalty and yet another poor ref decision. We are seeing some dreadful refs this season, I hope the standard improves over the season.

My record as a pundit continues !!

56. Red Arse says:

Big Raddy,

At least you were not wrong about that terrible refereeing performance.

What is about refs and Manure. Scared of Blue Snitch I suppose.

57. Well done Raddy – spot on with the commentary!!!!!

58. Red Arse says:

Did anyone else see the report that Schwarzer failed a medical at Arsenal?

Don’t know what the source is.

59. London says:

The mancs were poor, Fulham had so many chances to win that game but squandered them all. Chary’s favourites only hope was the ref but no matter how hard the tried, and that included gifting them a penalty, he just could not quite help them enough.

60. London says:

He’s Australian, give him a Fosters he will be right as rain.

61. London says:

Heinz would be my guess at the sauce.

62. Red Arse says:

London,

:-)

On that note, I bid you adieu.

actually it said schwarzer failed a medical and was going back for another one on monday or tuesday.

you couldn’t make it up if you tried, could you.

as BR said poor ref decisions yet again at fulham today and united don’t lok a patch on he team of last year.

64. Hello kelsey – how are you doing?

65. What happens to refs that give a dubious hand-ball to one side and not to the other?

i have got a bone to pick with you peaches :) but not today.

67. SharkeySure says:

Great write up London.

Also, congrats to Rocky PRO on his promotion.

68. dandan says:

Evening all, Mancs got sorted then was it much of a game.

69. London says:

I thought this medical thing sounded ridiculous which was the reason for my silly comments but with Kelsey adding extra information it has got me wondering how true it is? Does anyone know where the rumour came from?

70. London says:

Evening DD

The mancs were poor.

71. SharkeySure says:

Opinions ‘eh ??

“Rosicky: Couldn’t remember him playing really. He brings people into the game, but he needs to offer a bit more product for me. 6.5″

Hi london,

it was on one of the blogs, but it originated on twitter,which says it all really.

73. London says:

I have been thinking about that and the conclusion I have come up with is that he did it on purpose. He knows too much about football not to realise just how much Rosicky did.

74. London says:

Rasp made an interesting point above: “The old adage about good news not selling newspapers seems to apply to the blogosphere too – it’s very quiet because there’s not much to moan about.”

We have had 60 commemts today (nothing) although if I had said the same about Rosicky we would have doubled that…..at least.

I suppose it comes down to what you want from your blog.

75. tommystout says:

squillaci – fee agreed – medical tomorrow….

76. London says:

Hi Kelsey

God, I miss Spain.

77. London says:

Tommy FFS

Where did you get that from?

London,

I made the exact same point last week while you were away.

Some of the blogs literally make up headlines purely to get hits and invariably they top the charts on a regular basis.

If your post was headlined “Rosicky finally kicks habit….etc” it would prove the point.

well tommy, we are waiting

which means Sevilla website confirms Squillaci at Arsenal for a medical tomorrow after clubs agreed a fee.

81. London says:

El Sevilla traspasa a Squillaci al Arsenal

El ‘culebrón’ Squillaci llega a su fin. El central galo “viaja la noche de este domingo a Londres para pasar el lunes el reconocimiento médico con el Arsenal, club al que será traspasado después del acuerdo alcanzado por ambos clubes”, según informa la web oficial del Sevilla.

Ok, I will answer the question myself. This has come from Marca which is fairly reliable. It says that according to Sevilla’s official web site Squillaci is travelling to London today for a medical tomorrow after the two clubs reached a agreement (fee). Dandan could really make the “I told You So” department his own.

82. London says:

You sneaky dog Kelsey, if you can read that your Spanish is better than you have been letting on.

Evening gents,

Is there any indication what fee has been agreed for Squillaci?

84. charybdis1966 says:

Evening Raspers and all, how satisfying was that trouncing yesterday ?
    sorry not to see you there but Peachy and one other youngster were there to see me unceremoniously glug my road beer before the game.
    If anyone’s interested my report is over at Tim’s blog :

Hi chary, sorry I missed you yesterday, I had the last home game (cricket) of the season and my daughter got to go in my place.

Excellent match report, and very good pics – puts the Daily Mail to shame :P

86. charybdis1966 says:

Thanks Raspers – my dodgy left knee ligaments have probably put paid to my hopes of replacing Stuart Broad in the England attack.

I got lucky with the Diaby pic – to catch someone striking the shot for a goal takes a lot of luck.

Well if it’s true about Squelchy (as seems likely) at least we’ll have another CB. Mind you, at 6ft 1in he’s not exactly a titan. There are plenty of 6ft 4in strikers in the PL and of our CBs only one has that stature (Djourou – 6ft 4in). Mind you, size isn’t everything, as the Verminator shows every week.

Hi Rocky,

Most reports define Squillaci as an old fashioned centre half, good in the air but not as comfortable on the ball as the other two CBs. Maybe he’ll be employed tactically against the likes of Stoke and Blackburn Rovers.

89. tommystout says:

LOL sorry folks i’ve been busy with the wife!
    its good news yes?
    i dont believe however that we paid 10 mill euro for him though.
    speak tomorrow.

That’s good to know Rasp – we’ve been missing that type of CB for some time.

Morning all,

The story about Schwarzer failing a medical has been withdrawn by news.net this morning.That really is good news,which shows that some of these blogs don’t really have the true interest of our club at heart, just want to literally make up stories to get hits.

The sites that aim for hits are always going to be sensationalist.

Should we eventually sign Schwarzer will he be our first Australian player?

93. dandan says:

Morning all. Hope this gives you a smile, a typo of sorts in the guardian this morning,

When you say

only for Billy Bremner to race over and step on the prostate player’s fingers

who was playing with whose prostate, exactly?

Not my cock-up (ho ho)…the word I wrote was ‘prostrate’…someone at Guardian doesn’t know the difference..

No ,the late Crocodile Eboue ,a distant cousin of our very own was deported there about 100 years ago.

If Australia can now have a Welsh lady as their prime minister anything is fesable :)

Morning dandan, kelsey, Raddy,

On the subject of muddled use of words dandan, one of my favourite examples was a trade union representative being interviewed and trying to impress by using long words …… he said …. “certain allegations have been made against myself, and I’d like to know who the alligator is… :lol:

96. dandan says:

Morning Rasp, When are we going to see the article you mentioned you fancied writing the other day.

Hi dandan,

It doesn’t seem that important at the moment. Everyone will be talking about transfers I’m sure.

Obviously the signing of Squillaci will be a major boost and if we can get Schwarzer too then I’m sure evrone’s minds will be focused on our domination of the premiership :P

In reality, we’ll have a better idea of how well equipped we are after next weekend – you couldn’t really get a greater contrast than between Blackpool at home and Blackburn away.

98. dandan says: