Money to Burn – written by dandan

Written by dandan

Morning all. So now a tycoon is about to buy Blackburn Rovers, promising in yesterday’s Times to make available to Sam Allardyce enough money to buy every football kicking assassin on the face of the earth. Rumour has it, that plans are well advanced for the SAS to be co-opted as the latest addition to his hi tech training staff, providing advisors to coach the ‘double tap lets flatten em tackle’, at present being field tested by covert operations.

Arsenal themselves are rumoured to be a target for a takeover and Liverpool are desperate for the injection of life saving capital that new owners would bring. Meanwhile city are buying almost every player another club might want and refusing to sell even the disillusioned ones to any club that might be seen as a threat to their attempted premier league dominance.

What is the point of all these high flyers buying clubs? The one thing they have in common is they are winners, but only four possible trophies are available including the Champion’s League for which you first have to qualify. So are they all playing for a top four finish? Is Wenger right that it is the most important result if you can’t win the darn thing? His argument is based on money, but as these guys are all the progeny of Croesus with money to burn, that argument goes out of the window.

So multiple rich owners, four trophies to be won, how many of these guys will keep throwing money at the problem if they don’t win anything? How long before these clubs are tossed aside along with the grieving fan base to sink into debt induced oblivion.

Could it be that AW’s youth policy and prudence that has delivered our own almost debt free stadium and kept us in the top four thus far, will win the day?

Or perhaps this Indian guy is right to back Sam, after all if his team is the last one left standing he will win by default.

90 Responses to Money to Burn – written by dandan

Excellent post DD. Much to amuse me on this dull Thursday a.m. The SAS call is probably nearer the truth than we realise …

2. mikeB says:

I think that’s a dreadful slur on the SAS. These guys are pro’s, and they care about the job and they care about their reputation.

To compare them to Blackburn and Allardyce is shameful… go wash your mouth out.

Thanks dandan for the post. As you say there are only 4 trophies and you have to qualify for the Champions League in the first place. Do lots of clubs having lots of money make the competition more fierce or enjoyable?

It used to be manu that held all the cards (and the money) and the rest picked up the players they didn’t want depending on how successful or ambitious they were as a club. Arsene Wenger made competition with manu easier because we were winning things and players wanted to come to us but did we ever have the resources that manu had?

Now, the sugar daddy with the most money has the power. All the millions spend by citeh have so far yeilded nothing and who’s to say any of the lesser clubs would be successful following a huge injection of cash.

Interesting post dandan,

I heard it reported that every team in the Championship lost money last year. This may have been impacted by the breakdown of the Setanta deal. Either way, the financial future of football is uncertain to say the least. I expect more clubs to go into administration this year and the polarisation between the rich and poor to be even greater.

Morning again and dandan one wonders that if a reported £1 billion pounds has been spent by Man City (including purchase of the club, players, wages and new contracts) – they are not in the champions league and it is not guaranteed they will be there next year – why didn’t these guys just buy Man U ? simples.

6. Red Arse says:

Hi Dandan,

By SAS I presume you are referring to Shearer and Sutton? :-)

Age would be no barrier, after all Arsenal are interested in a 94 year old GK from Fulham in exchange for Vela and loads of dosh.

MikeB, as instructed I washed my mouth out twice before typing those names! :-) How are you?

Looks like Sevilla are going to play hardball over Squillaci, they have confirmed they have received and offer (£7m Arsenal???) but say it does not match their valuation. The fact that he has been pulled from their CL squad suggests they will let him go.

8. why didn’t these guys just buy Man U ? simples.
    :lol: love it kelsey :lol:

How many managers have spent more than 5 years at one club since the PL was formed.
    Answer FIVE.

Fergie,Arsene, Moyes only in the Pl and then one at Accrington Stanley and one at Dagenham and Redbridge.

I find that amazing and at the same time sad.

10. dandan says:

Maybe old SAF upset one of their race horses and they are getting their own back.

11. dandan says:

So Rasp things are looking up then, a GK and a CB both under negotiation it seems.

12. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Doesn’t this whole CB business get to you?

Earlier in thr=e Trfr Window, we were constantly being linked to “top, top” international players but slowly these were eliminated after frenzied speculation, to be replaced by lesser known (unheard of?) players like Spahic or ancient players.

All of these bit the dust, presumably over fee haggling, and now it appears to be the turn of Squillaci who Wenger apparently looked at as a 22 year old.

Years long deliberations and now an unacceptable fee bid.

Why do we bother? :-(

13. dandan says:

LOL Rasp you are a gem and brighten my day, long may it be so.

Hi Red Arse,

It is pretty much what I had expected. The only slight surprise is that we may pay as much as £7m for Squillaci. For his quality, at his age, and taking into account our lack of defensive back-up, I’d say it would be a good signing – but then I’m getting desperate with the close of the window looming.

Morning dandan,

I’m pleased you find me titillating :P – is it the brilliance of my perception?

16. mikeB says:

Hi RA,

Pretty good; hope it’s all good with you.

On this note of finance and ‘kamikaze’ spending, I had to smile.

If there’s one team that out-bid all others, and effectively bought success, it’s Manure.
    For old red-nose to start bitching now, just because he’s had to share twenty million among three players, is sheer hypocrisy.

Perhaps he’s worried the prawn sandwich brigade are gonna start calling him a paedophile.

With Wenger buying GK’s and Stoppers who are asking for a buss-pass and winter fuel allowance subsidy as part of the deal, he’s probably right to worry.

It was clear that AW was hunting for a CB when he went in for Chris Smalling. I think we should just pay the money and sell some deadwood.

18. Red Arse says:

MikeB

Totally agree with you. Couldn’t have phrased it better. The sheer hypocrisy of old purple snitch is breath taking. :-)

Haven’t seen you around much, glad you are putting your comments into the mix. Always clear, concise and cutting to the chase! ;)

19. Red Arse says:

Spot on Big Raddy.

I think his Fergiearse bought Smalling just to spite Arsene.

Now he has bought some Portuguese kid whom he had never seen, even on video, “in case another club bought him”.

Gee wilikins, and he has the nerve to spew forth about others.

Arsen has known for a long time he needs CB replacements, but everything, even the Smalling nonsense, appears to be about money, not the squad’s need.

Heresy I know. But it’s how I feel this morning. Anxious, tense and worried! :-(

20. mikeB says:

Hi RA,

As my old granny always used to warn me… beware the silver-tongued flatterer.

The respect is entirely mutual.

Have a good one

21. Jaygoooner says:

So this unknown unheard of so called tycoon wants to buy Blackburn bloody Rovers? OK, let’s run with that. A person with squillions of quids buys a club that cannot fill their stadium, not even when they bought the league years back. You can get a Blackburn Rovers shirt free at ASDA for any purchase under a fiver, no one wants to wear the shirt not even in Blackburn. Huge global potential there eh? But, undeterred he goes ahead and buys Blackburn. Then what? At some point he will want to know who the manager is, what his ambitions are and how far he can take the Club. If I was the tycoon I would be thinking hmmm Champions League at least. And then it happens. The Tycoon meets and talks to Fat Sam. Less than five seconds later, this tycoon is out of the door and looking elsewhere. HAHAHAHA

22. Irishgunner says:

Didn’t a tycoon take over Portsmouth too? That went well didn’t it. And less we forget Notts County – they’ll be in the EPL in no time :lol:

I like the way we are doing things now.

In a nutshell, if I was a billionaire the last thing I would do is buy a football club for one reason only in that it just isn’t a business run like any normal business, it’s just a massive ego trip for the majority of those who have more money than sense.

Anyone looking for a sea front villa in marbella. I happen to know the people who had an architect in to build it only eight years ago.5 bedrooms, 2000 plot, absolutely magnificant.Original buying price was just under 3 million euros, and today they can’t get an offer at 1.2 million.Times are tough and with benefit money running out by the spring of next year, Spain will be in further turmoil for at least the next number of years.

24. Irishgunner says:

Least Spain is broke and warm, Ireland is broke and cold – flippin rain and wind :(

25. mikeB says:

Hi Kelsey,
    whose selling the Marbella villa (agents) and which side is it, west or east?

26. Fatgingergooner says:

Is it just me who used to enjoy editing lower league teams on champ manager and giving them millions of pounds to spend, just so that I could take them up the leagues and into champions league glory!!!!!

Why don’t these rich boys buy a Barnet or Hartlepool, these are the clubs that need it after all. It’s pretty obvious they are not investing for the money, so surely it must just be a bit of fun for these squillionairres. What could possibly be more fun than seeing Barnet take on the mighty Barcelona in the Champions League!!!!!!!?

27. mikeB says:

FGG,

Seeing them beat Barcelona in the Champion’s League.

I’d settle for Young Boys to get at draw at Shite Hart Lane

29. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

My mood, normally a cup half full guy, has not been improved by a quick Google of Squillaci.

Basically a 6′ “giant” who can’t pass, is short of pace and does not have a strong build.

That’s just what we need ….. not.

Even a positive fan, like me, cannot believe this is a “top, top”, signing. It looks sadly like a signing to keep us fans quiet and because he is cheap. :-(

30. Fatgingergooner says:

Does anyone else get annoyed that when we are linked with a new signing we are always “gunning” for them??????

Makes us sound like bloody Bounty Hunters!!!!!!!!

Red Arse

Clearly he’s not a ‘top top signing’. I think the problem is that our first choice pairing was always going to TV and Kozzer, therefore it is very hard to find a quality signing who is happy to play second fiddle. Therefore the answer is either a 30 year old in the autumn of his career, or an 18-20 year old whop is prepared to be patient – and you know how we’ve faired in the big games with a lot of young inexperienced players.

That’s funny FGG,

They don’t describe Bolton as ‘bolting after a player’ or Crew as ‘cruising after them’, or Liverpool as ‘shoplifting a player’ :lol:

33. Irishgunner says:

:lol: @ fatginergooner – yep the puns annoy me too

34. SharkeySure says:

Good post DD

Mike B – “bus-pass and winter fuel allowance ” – Quality !

Ok Bejesus, I’ll stop if its annoying you :roll:

mikeB,

if you are still there, it is in marbella above puerto banus.how many do you want :)

37. Irishgunner says:

Rasp – you keep rolling your eyes and they’ll get stuck like that :twisted:

There was a time irish when you’d join in the bad puns when we’re going crazy in suspended animation waiting for some revelation from the club ….

I hear Blackburn are roasting a new player :?

oh Rasp,

and hull are trawling through the divisions looking for phil brown. remember him.Another andy warhole character, had his five minutes of glory.

Its not very flattering for a player to know Scunthorpe are after you!

The whisper is that Coventry are communicating via sign language to get a new player.

42. Fatgingergooner says:

Do Fulham Cottage players!!!!!!!?????????

I hope not!!!!

Hope Squillaci joins us, not a massive name but certainly capable of doing a job and likes a good tackle aswell. Should add a bit of bite to the team. If we can get a keeper then we will be looking much stronger. Just hope we see some improvement in the next match and stop making the same mistakes as last season.

43. arsenalvideo says:

Afternoon guys,

I am also stressed about all these billionnaires injecting some dirty cash into football and more stressed as it is in the Premierleague, where all that will lead, when you check that Given is on £80k per week, you are just right thinking how much players like balotelli and some new players are on and as said in your post where these teams will end up when after 5 years with thir cabinet still full of dust? I just think that FIFA should go the US way on money spent and wages give to players

44. mikeB says:

Hi Kelsey,

That’s not sea-front, but still interesting… which is the nearest Golf club? If It’s Brisas or Alloa or Naranjos, I’d like some details, or agent details… seriously

Thanks

Welcome arsenalvideo,

I agree, we made the same points recently. An enforceable wage-cap system as in the US would go a long way to restoring the equilibrium. I’m beginning to think that buying an English football club is this year’s fashion accessory for the ludicrously rich.

seaview i meant, quite right.if you are seriously interested write to me at the “contact us” on this site and I will give you all the pros and cons.I live facing los naranjos golf club for 10 years.Not really a discussion for here.

i only mentioned it to show the economical mess spain is in, something we have discussed many times before on here, especially about barca’s finances.

47. mikeB says:

RA,

Don’t be disheartened… he might come good. Be positive.

Terrible thought just occurred though… You don’t think Wenger went to Gazidis and said I need a new centre-back; what can we afford? Gazidis said Squillions, and Wenger misheard…?

Just a thought.

48. mikeB says:

Hi Kelsey,

I’ll give that a go… ten years ago huh? All those Punts?

cheers

arsenalvideo, good point as rasp has already said.If this continues the Pl will exist with about 4 or 5 clubs,who will then break away and form another league with the best in europe, as was mooted by G14 a couple of years back.

you did say punts :)

Carlos Vela plus cash. Why not just say “No we do not want to sell” or value Shwarzer at €4m.

Typical Hughes, the man is beyond shame

quite right raddy, but with city saying given can only go out on loan who will have him.fulham certainly can’t afford his 80k a week wages.

by the way has anyone got any news on the injury front.

53. Irishgunner says:

Rasp – I’m not gunner join in, I’ve more to do be doing than Arsene around with puns :oops:

54. Red Arse says:

Irish,

Those puns are so awful they made me smile and cheered me up.

Thank you. :-)

55. Irishgunner says:

Ha ha your welcome Red Arse :D

Still no signing … :( anytime soon Boss, anytime soon

56. tommystout says:

frimpong out for 9 months…. feel for the guy!

never mind about signings,have we got 11 fit for saturday.

afternoon redarse and irish.

58. Irishgunner says:

Tommy – What happened Frimpong?

Afternoon Kelsey.

59. Irishgunner says:

There is a thread in the Arse.com membership forums saying that Elvis has left the building – Wonder of You has been dropped apparently.

My puns are just too clever for you lot. I’m not sure any of you got the Coventry one :)

61. Red Arse says:

Upun my word, Rasp, I have studied your Coventry comment from every which way, including standing on my head, and you are right. Too clever for me. :-)

You must kneed explain yourself, or be debagged forthwith, by Irish.

62. dandan says:

Ive been sent there to find out Rasp..

Just come in whats this about Frimpong being injured

63. Irishgunner says:

I didn’t get it Rasp :(

64. mikeB says:

Hi Kelsey,
    I gave them my e-mail, but not heard.

That wasn’t Calle 1H was it?

65. Red Arse says:

Flippin Irish’s mate did him in a Reserves fixture in Dublin.

Cruciate injury. Kaput got the whole season. :-(

66. Irishgunner says:

Emmanuel Frimpong has torn his cruciate ligaments training with Arsenal’s Reserve team in Dublin, Young Guns can confirm. The midfielder will be out for up to nine months in total.

Read More: http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/08/confirmed-frimpong-out-for-the-season/?#ixzz0x3o35pw3

67. tommystout says:

hes done his cruciates out for 9months

68. tommystout says:

you beat me irish, sorry!

69. dandan says:

Oh for christ sake, is Eastmond fit yet

70. Irishgunner says:

When it rains it pours huh?

Let’s hope we’re in for a CM as well as CB and GK!

72. dandan says:

Bloody hell Irish, Rasp will not be happy we need Song 100% and Eastmond as a back up. Francis Coquelin who has gone out on loan would be handy too

73. Irishgunner says:

Nobody will be happy Dandan – Eastmond hasn’t exactly been on form either has he?

Will Song be fit for the weekend?

Are we assuming that Nordveit doesn’t figure in AW’s plans for this season …. what about Lansbury?

75. charybdis1966 says:

Isn’t it Wenger’s press conference today ? Or is it on Friday, I forget which way round it is every week. :(

76. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers, I thought Lansbury was going to join Sanchez Watt on loan at Leeds.

77. charybdis1966 says:

Just when you thought the Barca low life had finally shut up about Cesc, up pipes one of ole bacon faces protégés to keep it going. http://www.tribalfootball.com/pique-convinced-arsenal-captain-cesc-will-return-barcelona-1057031 I bet the phone line from Govan to C***alonya was sizzling hot.
    C**ts

78. Irishgunner says:

Piqué is such a little prick – F-A-C-T!

79. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah Maire, once a mankscummer, always a mankscummer.

80. Irishgunner says:

Yup Chary – scumbags the lot of ‘em

81. Jaygoooner says:

The Pique comment is just a rehash of the same old summer long bollocks. yeah sure, Cesc will return to Barca one day, that is a certainty. One thing tribal football and Pique forget to consider is that he is under contract to Arsenal Football Club until 2015. The more Barca and their media friends chatter, the more determined The Mighty Arsenal will be to hold him until the very last second of his contract.

Kom Nu Brondby

Gallas to Spuds looks like it’s going to happen. Do we care?

84. Nice to see you Rocky, I thought you’d forgotten all about us. Are you settled in now in parts foreign?

Hiya Peaches. Crazy time emigrating and settling in to new job, but gradually settling down. Hope to get some time to start writing soon!

86. Great, look forward to that, have you found somewhere to watch the footie?

Yes – but had to watch Sunday’s game on stop-start stream. Sorted for Saturday though.
    How do you feel about Gallas? I don’t really mind. We took their captain when he was at the peak of his game. They can have one of our ex-captains when he’s surplus to our requirements.
    The annoying thing is that he’s still a good defender. Hopefully his regular injury problems won’t suddenly vanish now he’s joining the dark side.

Like you RL, I din’t give a rat’s arse. Though there is a lovely whiff of “what goes around comes around”.

Interesting to note that crock CB’s are de rigeur at the moment. The Spuds have King and Woodgate permanently injured and have signed a 32 y.o. with known problems.

For all his faults WG gave us 100% and has been our best defender since Sol. He is sure to receive a hero’s welcome when the Spuds come to THOF ;-)

Theres a NEW POST

90. Amina Manus says:

Hey, found this news super useful. Thanks for this post