Delight in the Emirates Cup

I visited the Emirates this week. Something in my DNA drew me to the stadium. I just had to get off the train at Drayton Park and walk the familiar streets to the ground just to be there. The massive concourse around the stadium was eerily empty and silent, but today it will be alive again, heaving with the throng of 60,000 excited football supporters.

The Emirates Cup is an opportunity for many Gooners, young and old who don’t have season tickets, to get inside the ground and experience the atmosphere. Countless numbers of photographs will be taken with the pitch as a backdrop, or framed against the huge Arsenal crests that adorn the outside of the stadium.

I am fortunate, I get to go to every game, but I really enjoy the fact that there will be so many enthralled children in the crowd over these two days – it is a brilliant means of recruiting the next generation of gooners.  I know the cynics will say its just a money making exercise, but for those children and adults dressed in their kit with their name or the name of their hero on their back, it is a really special occassion.

For us ‘regulars’, there is the comforting feeling of knowing you’re home again when you take to your seat for the first time after so many weeks away. Though we won’t be surrounded by the familiar faces to which you’ve become accustomed in Premiership games, all these people have come to cheer on the team that wear the Red and White of Arsenal. Additionally,  although the tournament means nothing, it will be reassuring to witness our boys wearing the great new home kit which echoes the style of our glorious past.

Unfortunately, because of the World Cup, we’ll still be missing several players so I’m not even going to guess how the team will line up. Will any questions be answered about who is going  to have the no1 shirt or who will partner Thomas Vermaelen at the back? – I doubt it.

These issues have been foremost in our minds all summer and it looks like we’ve still got some way to go before we discover the answers. I’m seething at the thought that we may have let Sol Campbell go for the sake of a few thousand pounds a week and that Silvestre could yet end up wearing an Arsenal shirt for another season if we fail to find the 4th centre back Arsène has said we need.

Last year Rasp and I laughed at how Eboué grabbed the trophy and paraded it around the pitch as if he’d won the World Cup. The rest of the team looked on slightly sheepishly,  realising that this trophy would mean zilch if it wasn’t followed by a couple of others in the  season to come.

So here we all stand again looking forward to the season ahead. The Emirates Cup in our trophy cabinet is not enough Arsène but you don’t need me to tell you that. If you’re going to the Arsenal this weekend, enjoy it, it’ll be the last stress free game until this time next year.

Come on you Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds

26 Responses to Delight in the Emirates Cup

I thought I’d wrap us in some sugar coating today having listened to some dreadful radio yesterday afternoon while the ‘Cesc – will he/won’t he leave’ debate raged on.

If anyone is going to the Emirates Cup today and would like to do a write-up for us for tomorrow morning please get in touch arsenalnuts@live.co.uk

2. rico says:

Peaches, I enjoyed reading every single word you wrote in the post… Top notch..

The Emirates Cup is also great for us who can’t get to watch live at the ground but can enjoy two afternoons of footie on the box…

Good Morning to you all, hope all is well…

Morning rico,

Nice to hear from you :P

4. rico says:

Morning Rasp, I love this time of the summer, EC upon us, the will we wont we sign debates everywhere, it all gets a bit frantic, love it….

Have you managed to score many runs this summer ;)

Great read peaches,

I’m hoping that someone will be able to write a match report for us today, we have plenty going tomorrow so that should be no problem.

Centre backs …. I’m hoping if I tell the world enough that AW will not shell out £10m for a CB, Mr stubborn will go out and buy Mertesacker just to spite me ;)

6. Hi rico – nice to hear from you and what a lot of football you’ll get to see – I hope the games’ll be good. I’m going tomorrow and had to get my sky fixed yesterday so that I could watch today ;)

Hope all is well with you

Hi rico,

Yes the hysteria surrounding transfers is as frantic as I can remember. I think the mythical ‘warchest’ had everyone thinking we were going to sign whoever we needed, but I am sceptical.

I’m hoping to play cricket today but its raining at the moment. It hasn’t been my best year with the bat :roll: but I’m carrying my usual ‘not out’ from my last innings so will have a chance to improve my average if I can get my eye in today.

8. rico says:

Hi peaches, can’t complain thanks, hope all is good with you too?

Same old then Rasp ;) I still believe a keeper and CH will come in over the next few days, I’d be happy with that. Frimpong has grown from strength to strength, maybe he will be the one to step up and take his chance. I’m really hoping so.

Saturday shopping calls, have a lovely weekend and here’s hoping Flamini plays and plays badly ;)

Take care guys and gals

9. dandan says:

Morning all, Rasp. Hope you don’t get your forwards, defenders and forward defensive mixed up or the scorer will be calling you duck this afternoon.

Have a good one.

10. SharkeySure says:

Hola amigos
    Great post Peaches

dandan :lol:

A duck is my average score!

Morning sharkey,

It’s gonna be a no-news weekend, but I expect some transfer activity next week

12. nice post peaches nice to see the a post that is just looking to enjoy the weekend instead of looking for negatives.

13. Kipmonster says:

I propose that Arsenal fans World wide post letters once a week for the next four weeks to UEFA & FIFA complaining about Barcelona FC’s ‘tapping up’ of Cesc Fabregas. Also post a letter just once to Arsenal FC requesting that they formally complain to UEFA & FIFA. I have drawn up 3 template letters that I will email to willing participants. All you need to do is type in your own Name & Address before printing off & posting. Momentum will be boosted by you forwarding the email to every one of your Arsenal FC fan family & friends, encouraging them to participate.
    The aim of repetitive letters is to create an Admin headache for UEFA & FIFA with thousands of letters received from all over the world & display the strength of feeling from Arsenal FC fans. The purpose of the single letter to Arsenal FC is again to display the strength of feeling from us fans.
    My email address for this campaign from where I will email you the letter templates is …….. ArsenalFansHateBarcelonaFC@gmail.com

morning all.

i hope those going enjoy the game/games.

i must say that someone brought up yesterday that our blog goes red and black. well it happened to me yesterday and for about an hour today,so i imagine it must be a wordpress thing.

I want to see in paricular the performances of vela and walcott as i expect them both to take part.

Nice one Peaches – sometimes it’s easy to forget the simple joy of football, and of supporting a club like Arsenal, that draws us all back time and time again.
    It should be on the box over here in America, so will hopefully get to watch.

On the red and black thing, mine does that sometimes when I log on, but only for a few seconds…

17. ArseChicago says:

Great, evocative post. I’ve made the trip now twice and have the fondest of memories.

18. mohammad says:

eny1 hav predictions on wat our starting 11 wil be cuz i think it might be gk almunia cb varmealan cb kosciently rb sagna lb clichy cmf nasri rmf walcott lmf rosicky amf arshavin cf chamakh cf vela or myt play nasri as rmf and take out walcott and put song as dmf

19. mohammad says:

arsenal wil win 2-1 i tink and i howp sum1 cud run wit ronaldinho lyk maybe if he plays 4ward varminator

A few observations taking into account the squad that played and that A.C.Milan are two weeks behind us in pre season training.

Chamakh looked assured a class player with a neat touch.Gibbs looked particularly confident and Arahavin showed glimpses of how good he is.

Yet again we showed our downfall at set pieces.

Fabianski had no chance with both shots from outside the area that hit the woodwork,otherwise loked quite assured.

I found the sub of Chamakh for Randall strange, but otherwise everyone else had a reasonable game, but I would have liked to see Walcott and Vela get more involved.

21. piken79 says:

I thought Koscielny was the best Arsenal player on the pitch by a mile. Nasri holds on to the ball way too long and holds up the play. Generally I thought it was a good game, we could have won but Wilshire & Nasri could not impose themselves in the middle. Again, Koscielny looked excellent, he has to be ahead of djourou in the pecking order.

I wouldn’t go so far to say koscielny was the best player on the pitch, but he had a better game than most expected for his first home appearance.He looks to be a good buy,but I am concerned about defensive cover.

Arshavin good well turn out to be our star player this season, I have high hopes for him.

23. barumgooner says:

I only watched it on sky but to me all looked pretty good. First impression of Koscielny was great, good in the tackle, comfortable on the ball and good positional sense. Chamakh was excellent. To me Nasri has been the star of pre-season so far, in Cescs absense he seems to be running the show. I was happy with everyone today. Wilshere is ready to get 15-20 games this year and IMO Frimpong needs to go out on loan for a bit and get sent off at another teams expense a couple of times. He will i’m sure be good but looked a bit clumsy and inexperienced to me. Most of all i’m pleased for the GK , he had a good solid and most importantly confident game.

24. London says:

Well, I never saw a thing but that little summary above from barumgooner is music to my ears.

25. [...] Delight in the Emirates Cup I visited the Emirates this week. Something in my DNA drew me to the stadium. I just had to get off the train at [...] [...]

New post …..