Arsenal in crisis! …. what crisis?

I am really getting fed up with all the dross coming out of the ‘red tops’. Yesterday, they reported that we are doomed for another season as RVP and Fabregas wouldn’t be fit enough to play in our opening game at Liverpool.  They are certain our spending is finished for another summer and our hopes for next season are all but over. They highlight the fact that Bendtner will also miss the opening games, (which we all knew several weeks ago) and Denilson and Diaby are also a doubt.

Some Arsenal sites panic at all this make-believe stuff. The internet has been littered with headline posts calculated to provoke reaction. Our ‘fantasy predicament’ pales into insignificance compared to the mess Liverpool are in, with an injured Torres, and Carragher, Kuyt and Gerrard burnt out after the World Cup. The new manager, Roy Hodgson has an enormous task ahead in trying to produce a side that meets the expectation of the Liverpool fans.

What Wenger actually said was that he would address the situation on the 5th August. He didn’t say that RVP or Fabregas wouldn’t play. Denilson and Diaby  both have slight groin strains but would most probably be available although Bendtner aggravated his groin problem and was always going to miss the start of the season. Luckily we have Chamakh now who it is likely will compete with Bendtner for a starting place in the side any way.

Year after year the media ‘will us to fail’ and try every conceivable method to brainwash a gullible audience, some of whom fall for it every time.

Wenger isn’t stupid, I’m sure he wants to buy where we need cover.  He knew months ago that Gallas, Silvestre, Senderos and Campbell were out of contract and would probably leave, and at the same time he would have assessed our present cover. The pre-season games in Austria will have given him a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses in the squad .

Look how little activity there is from the top clubs so far this summer. There is a worldwide recession. Most PL clubs are in so much debt that,the penny has finally dropped. The days of buying players at over inflated prices must stop (unless you’re man city) but also, the availability of top players is limited.

Have you seen many who played in the world cup change clubs? City will continue to splash the cash, but making wholesale changes doesn’t always equate to a winning formula .

I feel very confident that we have a good balance now in the squad and will still buy at the least another centre back.

Have faith my friends.

Written by kelsey

58 Responses to Arsenal in crisis! …. what crisis?

1. Paddy Kop says:

You start by slating the “red tops” for their view on Arsenal yet you state

What proof do you have that Torres wants to go? Especially after he wore a Liverpool scarf after the final whistle celebrating the Spain World Cup Victory!

You are as bad as the “red tops” tabloids!

2. Kevin says:

Well written and balanced piece. Am a scouser. I just wish some of our would display such level-headedness. Looking forward to the 15th.

3. ahmad fromy syria says:

Well said thank you so much
    but I still think we need a goalkeeper before the start of the season thats is for sure

4. jobo says:

sick and tired of the dross of red tops,you could be one,want away torres who has said he is staying,kuyt,gerrard carragher burnt out,BURNT OUT,some interesting bits but keep to the facts my friend lest you become a rag

Paddy Kop,

I accept what you say, but I didn’t actually say that.Our editing department added that phrase :)

6. dandan says:

Morning all, Nice article Kelsey
    Welcome paddy nice of you to drop in. Five live and its pundits seem convinced that Torres wants out and while I am aware many of those guys write for the red top, the chance to get rid of a player who rather like our own RVP is a bit of a sick note might just be to good an opportunity to miss for your club, who are desperately in need of some cash to rebuild.

7. donald says:

your missing the point. we havent spent money in the past so that now the frugal nature of our club pays off. we have money now and we should be spending it and taking advantage of the lack of transfers

Morning all,

Well argued post kelsey :?

As you are aware, I have a completely different slant on our approach as regards signing players, but I am in total agreement with your sentiments regarding the tabloid press.

9. Kipmonster says:

I propose that Arsenal fans World wide post letters once a week for the next four weeks to UEFA & FIFA complaining about Barcelona FC’s ‘tapping up’ of Cesc Fabregas. Also post a letter just once to Arsenal FC requesting that they formally complain to UEFA & FIFA. I have drawn up 3 template letters that I will email to willing participants. All you need to do is type in your own Name & Address before printing off & posting. Momentum will be boosted by you forwarding the email to every one of your Arsenal FC fan family & friends, encouraging them to participate.
    The aim of repetitive letters is to create an Admin headache for UEFA & FIFA with thousands of letters received from all over the world & display the strength of feeling from Arsenal FC fans. The purpose of the single letter to Arsenal FC is again to display the strength of feeling from us fans.
    My email address for this campaign from where I will email you the letter templates is …….. ArsenalFansHateBarcelonaFC@gmail.com

10. Gunner38 says:

Agree with you Kelsey, but also with Donald who has a point. There is no value in being ever frugal, at some stage when there is evidence of stability you must invest. For too long now, Arsenal have been the nearly men’ – now we need to be champions again, and to do that we must buy a couple of players.

11. owen says:

“Our ‘fantasy predicament’ pales into insignificance compared to the mess Liverpool are in, with an injured want-away in Torres”…?????

i fail to see liverpools ‘mess’. torres has committed to the club and gerrard, plus joe cole has signed. and you can be sure there will be more signings at anfield.

Great picture Rasp ;)

Good points made kelsey – I hope the editing dept didn’t actually change any of your thoughts – Liverpool are in trouble whatever their own fans care to admit – Torres may love Liverpool but it doesn’t mean he still wants to play for them.

Unfortunately we make ourselves an easy target for journos, having the highest number of blogsites means that theres a well of disenchantment for them to tap into. When they love us they really really love us but they can sense our panic – not much we can do about that.

13. clockendrider says:

Peaches,
    Not sure I agree that they sense our panic. What they do is foment anxiety among the easily led, malleable and downright agenda driven. They then pick up on the disenchantment among those devoid of critical faculties and the band of ne’er do wells which has sprung up around Usmanov and Saint David of Dein who produce some of the lesser blogs and use that as evidence. Fairly standard black propaganda stuff but fortunately it’s losing efficacy due in no small part to the good work being done by some of the grown ups in the interweb community.

14. Don says:

Don’t see how Liverpool are in a mess? How about the famed biggest club in England, 18-time winners of the English top tier and 5 European titles have the same chance of coming 4th (which is a goal nowadays) as Aston Villa.

Roy hodgeson is there to save you from falling into mediocrity not win you a title

15. Soulvomit says:

God I hate when I click a link on newsnow and the s*n logo shines in my face. Have some f***** respect will ya. That shite is like cryptonite to me :p

16. jena says:

Wenger must just buy players. period. If Vermaluen Song or Cesc gets injured then our season will be over.It has happened over and over over the past few seasons and we should have learned the lessons.

Lets stop being apologists for the way our club is being run. Its frustrating. really frustrating. Imagine the frustration when the season starts , and we get beat at places like Blackburn and Wigan and Wenger starts giving excuses ” we had injuries”, or ” we are inexperienced” and yeah ‘They were over physical, the ref did not protect us”…..

The media knows this is gonna happen and hence they are stating the obvious.

17. soulvomit – did you read the article?

18. clockendrider says:

Jena,
    “The media knows this is gonna happen…”. Gosh I wish I had access to the media’s crystal ball. The one where every season Tottenham are going to finish above us and we’re going to be out of the top four. That’ll also be the crystal ball where Liverpool will still be a force and Fergie will never make a mistake in the transfer market.
    Yo do sem to be one of those malleable types who can’t distinguish between what the media writes and what actually happens. You need to understand that they have their own favourites and agendas and hence those managers and players that bend over to give them juicy quotes and ghost written, content-free columns are the ones who will be favoured.
    Honestly, do have a think before you write. It stops people from thinking you’re a numpty.

19. Jacob March says:

Why should LFC players be any more burnt out than Arse’s ones?
    Crazy.
    You appear to the one’s who are kidding yourselves. You haven’t won a trophy in so long and never won anything worthwhile in Europe, and yet you harp on about a club like LFC.
    Sad.

Even Sol Campbell didn’t want to stay in the sinking ship of Arse.

J.

May I kindly point out that the intention of this article was based on unfounded speculation by various tabloids that Arsenal would be missing key personal for their opening match at Anfield, and the slant by the media was more on Arsenal than on liverpool, and besides, this being an Arsenal site we were taking an objective view as to how misleading headline articles can be.

21. Bobby says:

Jacob March, maybe some of the earlier statements about LFC in the article were uncalled for. Arsenal fans in general have a fair degree of respect for LFC. Please dont harp the media line of us not having won something in a long time. 5 years is a long time for some but historically it is not a long time. Its not as if Liverpool has set the league on fire either in this time. We have 3 PL titles in the last 12 years which maybe is not great but is not bad compared to no PL titles since 1980 is it?

Well said Bobby

The article was not disrespectful to Liverpool. In many ways I feel empathy with the pool fans as they are having to readjust their expectation due to economic pressure.

Arsenal is in a better position than pool financially because we have endured 5 years of frugal spending in order to reach a kind of financial stablilty whereas Liverpool have ben saddled with debt by owners who appear to be looking for a way out.

23. ArseChicago says:

I’d be interested to go back over the last few years and look to see how much of the transfer activity happens in August. If I’m a club with a player that some other club wants to buy, what is the hurry? If the papers are to be believed, Villa keeps ratcheting up the price on Milner by 1-2MM each week. Why not draw it out? It’s a game of poker at the moment, and I’d be completely surprised if Arsene wasn’t involved in a few negotiations as we speak. As you mention, economic times are tough, so these selling clubs are going to try to squeeze every last penny (or pence, I suppose) out of a sale. As someone that’s been wanting Arsene to spend about 30-40MM this offseason, I’ve still not reached panic mode.

Hi ArseChicago,

Arsenal certainly have a history of leaving it to the last minute. Every major signing over recent years has been flagged up for weeks in advance and this leads me to believe that we are not in the market for any top flight players like Mertesacker or Jagielka.

I think a player like Mertesacker would make the difference between top 4 and winning. It is unlikely that Mark Hughes will let Schwarzer go now, so I reckon AW is going to let the existing four keepers fight it out over the No.1 slot.

25. ArseChicago says:

I guess the other reason I’m not as concerned is that regardless of who is signed or not this offseason, the Cesc issue still lingers. Yes, we need a GK and CB. But if and when Barca finally pay us what we want, we’ll have much bigger shoes to fill in the middle. Not that it’d be starting all over necessarily.

26. barbes says:

“City will continue to splash the cash, but making wholesale changes doesn’t always equate to a winning formula”. if an award was given for this quote i think u would deserve it. wenger tactics will alway prevail, his chose of signing has materialize over the years but we need a lil luck this time around to triumph over the PL, CL and…..i suggest another defender will be an added advantage to our hopes and aspirations.

27. Edmond Dantes says:

What will be will be. Trust in Arsene.

Theres only one Arsene Wenger, one Arsene Wenger…

28. Alan says:

Thank goodness, there’s only one of him. He stopped being a football manager 5 years ago and turned into Arsenal’s Financial Director.

29. For those who didn’t see the link yesterday Gingers for Limpar have linked yesterdays post about the 25 man squad rule to their post, you can find them here

and then arseblog linked the G4L post to his post this morning which you can read here

30. perrygrovesworld says:

good piece. Sites like Arsenal Action for example need a reality check.

31. dandan says:

You just beat me to it Peaches, It makes Rasps house look a bit Dodgy.

Wonder how good TVs German is

32. Hi dandan – it doesn’t say he’s going to buy one though ;)

Are you pinning your hopes on Mertesacker then?

33. dandan says:

Nope the other guy beginning with T forgotten his name

Hi dandan, (Tasci?)

You don’t get my house unless we buy a ‘name’ player like Mertesacker or Jagielka :P

The big difference between us and Liverpool is that we have spent the last five years winning nothing, but building a sound financial base to move forward from. Liverpool have spent the last five years winning almost nothing (one FA Cup) while steadily bankrupting themselves and undermining their entire future.

Hi Rocky,

That’s prety much what I said to the disgruntled Liverpool fan earlier.

We can’t be too complacent though because there is nothing to stop a big shareholder buying Lady Nina’s shares and then we could be in the same boat.

37. jacko says:

I don’t think anyone is really looking for wholesale changes. Most fans just want to see a decent GK and CB brought in. We also need cover for Song as our only real DCM but no chance of 3 more signings. When you take player sales and saved wages into account, we haven’t spent a penny thus far! All the recent cesc comments in the tabloids are old and reshuffled. Cesc will remain a gunner until we recieve his correct valuaion (60 mil +) from the spanish twats – their skint so don’t really see it happening next year either!

38. jacko says:

so they’re!

AW says……

“We are still on the search because at the moment we only have three centre-backs and we have seen last season you needed five,” he told Arsenal’s website. “I believe we need at least four because we have some other players who can fill in this position but overall we are still on the search.

“There are plenty of names that we consider and we analyse. We look at the financial possibilities and the technical potential. But it is impossible for me to come out with a name.”

hmmmmm – what does the phrase “financial possibilities” mean?

40. dandan says:

It means are they value for money Rasp.Simples.

Possibly dandan, or it could mean we never had any intention of spending the warchest otherwise we wouldn’t have to worry so much about the ‘financial possibilities’ since we’ve only spent £5m nett and should have another £30m languishing in the bank!

42. irishgunner says:

If you play EPL Fantasy Football there is a league between Arsenal and Liverpool fans “Arses take on Livers”: code = 165907-145892

43. dandan says:

Rasp Have you watched the complete AW interview on Arsenal TV he will buy there is no doubt.

I think he will buy dandan, I’m just not convinced he will be shopping at Harrods – hopefully not Primark either though :lol:

45. dandan says:

You know better than most that its not the name on the bag Rasp. its the product in the bag that counts

46. irishgunner says:

I’m lovin the metaphors

Hi irish,

What do you think of Tomas’ new hairstyle? – I thought the last one was a bit too much like a fluffy Berbatov

We will definitely still buy . I will bet my share of my villa on it including one lemon tree ;)

it might be John Lewis as “they are never knowingly undersold”.

50. irishgunner says:

Don’t really like it Rasp, I rather when he had the frispy bits… he’s still hot though.

51. irishgunner says:

How big is the Villa Kelsey? Will I have to share my week between your villa and Rasp’s house?

Just read a tongue in cheek story on Untold Arsenal that the main reason cesc won’t go to barcelona is that he might not get his monthly wages.Highly amusing article.

irish,
    it might take you a week to walk round it ;)

You lot may all scoff, but if you cast your eyes aloft (scroll to the top of the page) you will see that there is a new page there especially for me :lol:

55. 26may1989 says:

Jacko says we should sign a GK, CB and DM. No problems with the first two, everyone and their Gooner dog agrees they’re needed. But I wonder about DM.

Last summer, I was pissed off we didn’t get another DM in but I look now, and I’ve changed my mind – I see Craig Eastmond plus Nordtveit (who played much of last season in the Bundesliga at DM), Djourou (who’s better at DM than CB), Frimpong (a man for the future), Ramsey (better in a more advanced position but can play at DM) and everyone’s non-favourite, Denilson.

Six back-up options to Song looks fine to me, no need for a DM.

56. barumgooner says:

I agree with you 26may. Since Flamini left we have had a big hole in the middle which we have failed to fill. Song has been fantastic this year but we need more cover. I like you find myself in two minds as to whether the need is there anymore with so much young talent available…but potential is one thing, stepping up to the mark is another and the question is do we take the gamble that one or more of these lads will sieze the opportunity ? The biggest frustration for me during these years of financial constraint disguised as “project youth” has been the reluctance of players to take their shot and prove their worth. Whether the fear of failure or the lack of desire or purely not being good enough has restricted these players I dont know but does AW gamble again on so much potential or buy a more mature player to help bring these lads on ? Personally I prefer the latter, IMO the young players at the club have had to hit the ground running and this is why many have fallen. As good as they are they would be better if they had the opportunity to learn from more experienced players whilst ultimately striving to take the position for their own. IF we have the money then I agree with Jacko. I dont like the thought of restricting talent but I dislike more the thought of ruining potential by throwing them in too soon.

Schwarzer, Mertesacker, DeJong would do nicely