Arsenal get it right …. the Press get it wrong

What is it about the Daily Mail? No matter how much I try to ignore Fleet Street’s greatest embarrassment, I can’t help finding new things about this fear-mongering, xenophobic, Thatcherite rag to annoy me, usually via a Newsnow link. This time it wasn’t some load of nonsense about how we’ll all be mugged by Kosovan asylum seekers if we even dared to step outside our front doors into the warzone that is 21st century British suburbia; it’s just another piece of journalistic sloppiness about football.

MJC posted a very good piece a little while ago about how the new 25-player squad rules will work – to recap, he explained that essentially (a) any player who is born on or after 1 January 1989 doesn’t count towards the 25-player limit at all for the coming season and (b) of the 25 “older” players, eight places are reserved for players who spent at least three seasons in England and Wales between the ages of 16 and 21 – these are “homegrown players”.

Importantly, but apparently beyond the wit of the Daily Mail, homegrown players can have any passport, it’s just where they trained in their early years that counts.  So, Owen Hargreaves, as a Bayern Munich trained player, isn’t homegrown despite being English (sort of), but Nicolas Anelka is homegrown despite not being English and having played in France, Spain and Turkey as well as England. Clubs can have more than eight homegrown players, it’s just a quota to protect against importing too many established players from other leagues.

MJC explained that Arsenal are in pretty good shape for the new rules, but I wondered how that stacked up against our principal rivals. My nerdy curiosity got the better of me, and I checked the current first team squads of our principal rivals for the coming season (Chelsea, United, Spurs and City – sorry, I didn’t bother with Liverpool, they just don’t seem relevant…). I had to make some assumptions about which young players at each club would be serious senior squad contenders, but my conclusion is as follows:

* Arsenal: Squad of 33, of which 13 are under 21. We therefore have five spaces left for non-homegrown players aged over 21.

* Chelsea: Squad of 27, of which five are under 21. They therefore have three spaces left before they reach the 25-player cap, two of which are for homegrown players.

* United: Squad of 33, of which eight are under 21. United therefore have no spaces in their squad, so can’t make new signings without omitting existing squad members.

* Spurs: Squad of 29, of which four are under 21. They also have no space left in their squad for senior players.

* City: Squad of 31, of which six are under 21. But not only do City have no space left in the squad, even before making any further signings, they will already have to omit seven existing senior players.

Of course, none of this matters if our regular first choice players aren’t up to it, but we are clearly in great shape to get the best out of these rules. Only Chelsea come close to being in as good a position.

But what did the Daily Mail say? They of course said that United are doing well because they have lots of English players, but thought Arsenal and Chelsea would have to omit players. In fact, it’s the other way around, United are the worst positoned of last season’s top three. It’s a shame that there are so many people paid to write about our game who don’t know enough about it, or are too lazy to check.

Written by 26may1989

92 Responses to Arsenal get it right …. the Press get it wrong

1. I’m sick of people telling me how Arsenal are going to suffer because of the home-grown rule – the home-grown rule does not only apply to English players – get it you spuds who are just too dim to actually read what its all about and thanks to the Daily Mail there are a few doubting gooners out there aswell.

2. Thanks 26may for taking the time to give us some more information about the 25 man squad rules

3. the daily fail strikes again

4. dandan says:

You have a great post there, 26may, Gonna be a busy site today.

Another defender and a GK on the way, Nasri and Frimpong looking well up for it and dare I say the much maligned Theo hopefully given a run and we are well set up,

You can see that Man U you are in trouble by the fact that Old red nose has come out today deliberately praising the Glaziers knowing it will divert the manc fans from the shortcomings he faces

5. burn em says:

B. I. G

6. he also saying how good his kids are gona be this year cos he has to push them in to the squad

Morning all,

Excellent pithy post 26may ;)

dandan,
    The positives are the emergence Frimpong, JET and Nordveit – the negatives are the deafening silence from the club regarding transfers and the manager’s ‘hints’

8. Gunner38 says:

Not just the Mail, I think that all papers are full of shite and constantly kick us in the goolies. Seems like every sports editor is either a spud or a Manc. Yet again we have ben written off even before a ball has been kicked. Hope we shove it down their throats and the wankers get knocked out of CL Qualifying round. Bastards!

9. king gooner says:

f****g daily snail-MANURE loving rag!!!

10. tommystout says:

fab piece may, its getting to the point where i click the “hide publication” tab when it comes to the daily mail links…
    just more anti arsenal i’m afraid.

11. dandan says:

Rasp Its time you changed your make of tea, you are not reading the leaves correctly mate. Lol

12. wenger was quite coy when asked about keeper signing last interview could be some truth in the italian keeper coming so one said hewas due for medical today

13. adam says:

Excellent post. A factual account of where clubs are regarding the new rules. I wonder if they would hold up if challenged in a court of law? Freedom of trade and all that. What a refreshing post after the appalling self-righteous garbage I see so increasingly on Arsenal sites these days.

14. dandan says:

Seriously Rasp when did AW ever shout about what he was gonna do, we will be fine

15. SPECTRUM says:

“I know is that within our team we have a great hunger for success,We have great solidarity and team spirit. We are a team who has grown up together and wants to achieve things. We have not won anything yet together and that makes us hungry for success.” January 7, 2010
    Could have been just as valid three years ago.Only thing different is that he left out the “I believe” bit.
    “In Arsene we rust”.

16. dandan and Rasp – I can’t remember who’s house is riding on this now, all I know is that irish is moving in with Rasp sometime soon ;)

17. dandan says:

Its Rasp’s Peaches but you gotta get the shirt and fee right as well Lol

dandan :P

I’m Mr. Consistant, I think it is more likely than not that we will sign another keeper, but all the signs tell me that we are not going to spend £10m ish on another CB.

19. guy says:

ok i agree with your points about the daily mail, but other than this your research is stupidly flawed. Man city would not have to ommit 7 first team players. but my biggest problem is that arsenal have published there squad TODAY on the website listing only 19 players of over 21. so we have 6 spaces. please research better you have embarressed yourself

20. Well Mr Consistant I think we’re more likely to sign a CB than a keeper :roll:

21. Kipmonster says:

I propose that Arsenal fans World wide post letters once a week for the next four weeks to UEFA & FIFA complaining about Barcelona FC’s ‘tapping up’ of Cesc Fabregas. Also post a letter just once to Arsenal FC requesting that they formally complain to UEFA & FIFA. I have drawn up 3 template letters that I will email to willing participants. All you need to do is type in your own Name & Address before printing off & posting. Momentum will be boosted by you forwarding the email to every one of your Arsenal FC fan family & friends, encouraging them to participate.
    The aim of repetitive letters is to create an Admin headache for UEFA & FIFA with thousands of letters received from all over the world & display the strength of feeling from Arsenal FC fans. The purpose of the single letter to Arsenal FC is again to display the strength of feeling from us fans.
    My email address for this campaign from where I will email you the letter templates is …….. ArsenalFansHateBarcelonaFC@gmail.com

22. GunnerPete says:

Good article but suffers because you tell the truth…The Mail on the other hand has no idea what truth means in sport, politics, or life so any contradiction by you goes straight over their heads.
    This warmogering rag has been pedaling lies for so long that it believes most of them. Always remember it was the Mail that embarked on a 3 year campaign against Gordon Brown with lies and inuendo and nothing based on fact. Add to this the stupidity of the avergae Brit and you get a government of immense imbecility. As for AFC….the club always does the right thing and will always be ahead of any new ‘act’ aimed at helping the rich clubs dominate the league.

Peaches, I didn’t say we weren’t going to sign a CB, just that we were not going to spend £10m on one :roll: – do you work for the Daily Mail? :lol:

24. dandan says:

Guy I would guess that many people would be more embarrassed by your arrogance than an inaccuracy in a post if indeed it is inaccurate

25. Livers says:

Great piece 26th May……..does get dull informing my “mates” that we’ll be fine in the coming season!

bravo !

26. Mike says:

I’m surprised Anelka counts as homecount grown. I only remember him having two full seasons before he went to Real Madrid.
    Also, does this mean that if Cesc did return to Barca, he’d count as foreign? What about his Barca DNA, does it count for nothing?

27. Livers says:

I’m pretty sure the 25 man rule is an England thing and not Spanish

28. rajesh says:

that too if sell alumina and fabianski and buy one good keeper. then we have one more extra space.

29. Anelka played for 3 seasons with us and that’s why he counts as a home-grown player even though he didn’t join until half way through the 1996-1997 season – I’m assuming part-seasons count in the same way as turning 21 during a season qualifies you too.

30. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, it’s not the just the Daily (Hate) Mail that regularly and intentionally misunderstands the home grown rule to kick us in the ‘nads and have a go at the Arsenal.
    Most of the papers do as well as, of course, that bastion of bollox broadcasting Talk Shite.

31. aidinho says:

Excellent summary. I’ve also been reading the official angle on the arsenal.com website – I’m still unsure on some aspects:

“Every club will have to name a first-team squad of no more than 25, which must include at least eight ‘home-grown’ players.”
    – Easy, we have 13 on my count.

“In addition to this squad of 25 players, each club may use as many under-21 players as they wish. The player must have been born on or after January 1, 1989 to be classed as ‘Under-21′ for this season.”
    – Not so easy. Its the “In addition” that gets me. Does that mean we can’t count Under-21s in the first-team squad to make up the home-grown quota? If you take away the home-grown Under-21s from the list then we only have 7 left (Cesc, Denilson, Song, Djourou, Clichy, Don Vito, Bendy).

32. tommystout says:

seems a little odd to me that premier teams have til the 31st August to submit their final squads. Its obvious that its to do with the transfer window closing then, but the first two weeks of the season will be done by then! Maybe the transfer window should be syncd to the season start.

33. BJ says:

Without Thatcher you would live in a shithole

34. aidinho – yes we can count under 21’s in our home-grown quota but we can also bring in other under 21’s who aren’t home grown or in the 25 man list if we need to supplement the squad eg JET, Nordveit and Frimpong to name three that I think we’ll be seeing this season.

35. Livers says:

Ooh a Thatcher-rite

36. terry says:

a cb is a must if we dont sign a cb we are definately screwed……

37. davegooner says:

26may1989,
    You are merging 2 different issues and completely confusing the point! One restriction is the 25 player squad rule and the other restriction is the number of homegrown players within the squad.
    The definition of homegrown is often misunderstood by both the media and arsenal sites and this is what causes the confusion. Cesc Fabregas is a homegrown player even though he isn’t english because he has been at an english club for more than 3 years prior to his 21st birthday.

38. wondrinfree says:

I think the word is Thatcherite (single r). The queen of darkness unfortunately has been overshadowed by the last bunch of twisted clowns (twisted or spun?) and now looks almost good in comparison.

39. chippy says:

Hi All,
    Nice piece that 26May but as per normal i really cannot make head nor tails of all these new rules and regs so ill take your word for it :-)

Regarding the Mail wouldnt wipe me Arsenal with that rag absolute shocker of a paper such a shame that a football journalist i actually rated left the Times to write for that comic,

40. wondrinfree says:

As Nordveit has been with us for three years but that time was spent permanently on loan abroad, will he considered homegrown or a foreigner?

41. dandan says:

What if AW intends Playing Song as a back up centre back, with Frimpong and Eastmond doing the DM job

42. chippy says:

dandan,
    Then we would be in major trouble, Song improved in leaps and bounds last year as our DM why take him out of a position hes excelling in to plug a gap, We could get away with it in certain games here and there mainly at home but over a run of games it would all implode, AW needs to open his wallet and buy a player thats a specialist rather than this stop gap policy hes imployed over the last few years,

Hi chippy,

Since Nordveit has played in all the pre-season friendlies and in 3 different positions, I think it is safe to assume that AW is assessing him as a ‘utility defender’ – I expect him to be a regular on the bench next season and possibly starting some games.

44. tommystout says:

wondrinfree
    Nordveit is not homegrown much the same as vela!

45. chippy says:

Rasp,
    Hello Mate,
    I may be wrong but didnt he play in Germany as a DM ?

I hear hes impressed in the pre season games and been offered a new long term contract so they obviously rate the lad,

Im fine with giving these players game time in certain situations but players like him and frimpong have impressed in no pressure pre season games against a standard of opposition that is poor, where we control all the possesion so its not hard to look assured beyond your uears our problems start when we havent got the ball !!

46. the hardwic tup says:

Tory rag forever digging at the Arse,staffed by Anti Arsenal knobs.

47. chippy says:

#Years# Sorry lunch is calling :-)

48. guy says:

dandan dont even contemplate attacking me for venting at ill informed script. if you were a proper arsenal fan you would share in my anger at being told rags. I researched this weeks ago for “personal interest”, so why cant i be frustrated at being led to read something by another person tht is wrong

49. JimJam says:

Good post, but seriously, this website needs a revamp of colours and general design, NOW, its awful to look at, sorry…

50. SD-London says:

I think it hypocritical of the media, coaches, Journalists to be blaming foreign players for the national team’s woes.

The premier league had to open its doors for foreign players to enter so as to make the game exciting. It is now the most exciting league in the world.

English players are over rated and over priced and a wise Wenger has always frowned against that and had being the smartest and other clubs are following.

If a player as talented as Rodalega of Wigan can be rated at £5million just imagine if he had being English with the same talent how much he will be rated, i think he will be rated £25million.

Ashley young did not make it to Arsenal because his club over priced him and Wenger didn’t think he was worth the £16million his club was demanding then.
    It goes on and on and on , English players should be the cheapest because they are home-grown simples.

Why should James Milner be rated at almost £0million he cant even stand where a player like Ozil stands and even schweinsteiger of Germany is not rated at £30million and he is better by mile than Gerrard and Lampard put together.

There you go , if England want big clubs to be giving English players opportunity then they should stop over pricing them.Fabregas was bought for 1Million for God sake even from Barcelona.

Do you remember how much Rooney was bought from Everton.He hasn’t even scored in the World cup.

Hi chippy, (I know you’ve gone to lunch)

You are right. HN played mainly as DM for Nurmberg which is why I described him as a utility defender because he seems quite comfortable as CD, RB and DM.

We won’t know whether he can perform under the pressure of first team football until he gets his chance – which I am thginking is definitely going to be the case this coming season.

At the Barnet game, I couldn’t make out who he was initially, but I was very impressed by the ‘new face’. I was sitting right in the area where the RB operated and he was a stand-out player… often covering for kozzer which was a bit of a concern.

Hi JimJam,

Thanks for your comment. Is site design one of your talents?

We are a co-operative site which grows as the number of bloggers increases. We are happy to bring onboard anyone who can add expertise. Unfortunately the WordPress templates are limited and making radical changes seems nigh on impossible, but any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Apart from the aesthetics of the site, what we are trying to achieve is a high standard of articles which reflect the full spectrum of views and encourage healthy debate.

53. Archangel Arsene says:

EPIC..!

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up and for the comparison with other teams.

Arsenal FTW..!

54. Fatgingergooner says:

We need to be careful with the hyping up of players like Nordviet and Frimpong because they have looked good in pre season. It does not mean they are ready for the first team on a regular basis. Wilshire was the best thing since sliced bread in pre season last year and then went on loan for the majority of the season.

Although Frimpong and Nordviet are without doubt built for the hustle n bustle of the premier league, unlike little jack, I still think Wenger will use them sparingly, if at all, so we should be concentrating on players who are already making the bench on a regular basis i.e Eastmond, Gibbs etc.

As for the point of this post, I still don’t understand all this home grown rubbish. If they are good enough then let them play. The fact is that the England team are let down by the FA when it comes to things like winter breaks, not because there are foreign players in the league. It doesn’t matter how good you are if when you get to the tournament you are already exhausted.

Hi Fgg,

Of course you are correct that we shouldn’t pin any hopes on these young players – but if we don’t sign another CB, we almost certainly will need to call upon them at some stage during the season.

56. B-more Gooner says:

Thanks for a great read. I appreciate the clear explanation of you gave for the new rules and the work you put into obtaining the state of other teams too.

57. chippy says:

Rasp, Jolly nice it was too !!

If he doesnt sign another centreback and keeper serious questions need to be asked about whether hes still the best man for the job in my view,

As i said earlier this month i will hold my tongue till the end of the window, Personally i think they should have all been signed sealed and delivered weeks ago but can understand a hold up due to the World Cup, but it does us no Favours with a tricky run of tough away games at the start of the season,

Im just getting that sinking feeling that this summer will follow the last few with more players out than in and come the end of the season we will all be moaning about the exact same things that have plagued us for seasons :-(

Once again we agree chippy. I’m not meaning this as a criticism of AW – more an acknowledgement of the way things are.

I’m going on the lessons of history from previous seasons. We’ve been told we have money before and not spent it. The money for Ade and Kolo was used to pay off a scheduled repayment on a loan. I believe we have money but would rather spend it on commercial developments to increase future revenue than to buy high profile players.

Arsene always knew he was going to buy kozzer and get Chamakh on a free – hence the “I want to get all our buying out of the way before the end of the World Cup” statement.

59. irishgunner says:

The media lie? 8O

The Daily Mail is my favourite to moan at, followed by every tabloid and lately the broadsheets are even going downhill.

Can you believe that a “newspaper” in Ireland quoted Wenger from the “interview” he did with the Kenyan paper which the club dismissed as made up?! Even reading it, it was easy to tell it was made up….

60. truegooner says:

Rasp FYI that statement about buying before the WC never happened, lookat Arsenal online the interview is there

61. The Gingers for Limpar site has given us a heads up today on their article also about the 25 man rule

Thanks truegooner,

It wouldn’t surprise me, but it was widely reported and not just in the redtops

Even if not a quote, I am still of the opinion that Chamakh and Koscielny were the only two planned signings and we will not be buying a £10m centreback despite Campbell’s decision.

Hi irish,

I’ve decorated your bedroom and the spa bath for your en suite is being delivered tomorrow ;)

64. irishgunner says:

:lol: Rasp seriously I’m going to turn up on your doorstep someday with a bag … I’ll do it ya know, nothing better to be doing ha ha

65. charybdis1966 says:

Is Maire coming down for the Em****es cup then, Raspers ?

Haha, not that I’m aware chary, its just that she (and others) keep betting my house that I’m wrong about our chances of signing a ‘name’ CB

67. irishgunner says:

Chary – unfortunately not I’ll be in Dublin for the weekend. Rasp has to give me half his house seen as we made the same bet.

68. charybdis1966 says:

Oh right – do you know when you are next down for a game? I’m going to the Blackpool game, in the North Bank, by the corner flag, two rows in.

69. irishgunner says:

It might be the New Year Chary – I’m hoping to go to Wigan away in December and don’t think I’ll have the money to go to the Grove anytime before Christmas cos I’ve to get car insurance (and other car stuff) and have other stuff on.

70. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah Maire, following the Arse is an expensive proposition at the best times, more so form the distance you’d have to.
    If you need to stay somewhere before the game in the new year I can offer you my gaff (although we’re about a 2 hour journey from the Grove)– I can get one of my sons to go on the couch !

71. irishgunner says:

Thanks Chary its really appreciated.

I try to go and come the same day – 6am and 10:30pm flights – I will not hear a bad word about Ryanair ha ha

72. charybdis1966 says:

His favourite player is the Boy wonder – I don’t think you’ll mind loadsa posters of RvP staring down at you !

73. irishgunner says:

LOL hasn’t bothered me before ;)

Ha ha I’ve outgrown the putting up posters stage, still have an Arsenal duvet though

74. 26may1989 says:

Guy

Always good to see someone respond in a calm, reasonable manner. Based on their current first team squad (as published on their website) Man City will certainly have to omit plenty of players, even if they don’t sign any more players. I’m on holiday now, and away from the excel spreadsheet I have of the five squads I listed including dates of birth, so can’t give you the detail at the moment, but I’m happy to mail it to you in a few weeks if you’re not convinced. The fact that you think City might not have to omit players does suggest you don’t really understand how these rules work though. Even their manager said as much.

As for my “embarrassment”, you might first like to know I wrote my piece a few days ago – it was held back because there were pieces on other topics that peaches and rasp quite rightly wanted to put up first. In any event, when I counted 20 Arsenal players in the squad that would be over 21, I included Sol Campbell, since he was listed on the arsenal.com website on Sunday/Monday. That of course has now changed, hence the discrepancy. I could have gone into the detail of my assumptions etc, but that wouldn’t make for a very interesting read, would it.

But even ignoring my explanation of 20 vs 19 over 21 players, do you really think a discrepancy of one merits your slightly hysterical response? You need to grow up a bit, going on about being “embarrassed”. Anyone who wheels out the “I’m a real Arsenal fan” line is usually a bit of a tit, and so it is in your case.

Davegooner

I think you’ve misread the post – the fact that “homegrown” doesn’t mean English is precisely one of the points I make (hence Anelka compared with Hargreaves). The summary of the rules is accurate, but I am always happy to acknowledge an error if I have got something wrong.

One of the things that is ambiguous, and which was discussed a few weeks ago when MJC addressed this issue, is what happens in situations where a player joins midway through a season and what happens when he goes out on loan? As others have, I assume that part-seasons do count but that seasons away on loan mean the player is not training in England, so don’t count. But that could be wrong, if the FA publicly clarified the position, it would be easier.

75. desigunner says:

This is a good post but you’ve missed out on a couple of details.

Arsenal have 5 places left to complete the 25 player list but we have only 7 home grown players out of the 20 senior players. So we need at least 1 home grown signing or we have to leave out one space vacant. That would still mean we can sign 4 foreign over 21 players. Moreover, players like Walcott, Vela and others will be over 21 next year. So we might have to keep some spots vacant for them. Still, I’d say we are fairly comfortable.

I’d worked the details here http://desigunner.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/25-player-limit-is-bad-for-arsenal-home-grown-rule-good/

Man City have a lot of players listed on their site but they don’t really have to worry about it as explained in this article

I haven’t looked at others so far. Hope you don’t mind that I’ve put my links here. I don’t really know if there is any etiquette for this sort of a thing. Just seemed relevant so I’ve shared these.

76. desigunner says:

Also, I didn’t read the other comments before posting. Apologies if all that was already covered.

77. 26may1989 says:

Desigunnet, some good points in there. That said, I would still say City’s position is problematic. More than anything, it’s a question of morale. I think they’ll start to pay for that soon. For example, how will they keep Barry, de Jong, Yaya, Kompany and Vieira all happy? money will go so far but the ego quotient will kick in when big players aren’t even making the bench.

Then there is the question of the players already at the fringes. How a player like Michael Johnson is now in a position of not even being in the squad, when a few years ago he was spoken of, with justification, as a rising star, is depressing. In fact, if you look through the whole Man City squad and look at what the money is doing to what was a great generation of youth players, it’s pretty rubbish.

I also very much doubt Hart will be happy being on the bench, so the over-stocking there is likely to lead to problems.

But you’re right, City may well succeed despite the rules and the structural problems they have in their squad. However, my principal point was that Arsenal (and to a lesser extent Chelsea) are well positioned now and for coming seasons to get the best out of these new rules. By focusing on young players, we get a double benefit: first when they are under 21 and don’t count at all and then when they’re older but count as homegrown.

78. Lady Arsenal says:

I don’t think Anelka IS homegrown.

He only spent 2 years at Arsenal before going to Real aged 20.

Not entirely sure though!

79. Lady Arsenal says:

Having had a look, I think in the longer term it will become a problem for us. Looking at the players we have right now, 20 are over 21 (including Jay Simpson). That’s fine for now, but next year those born in 1989 will no longer be under 21 – Vela, Walcott, Gibbs, Traore, Randel and Botelho. That’ll be 26 in total. Seems OK, I’m sure we will sell/loan out a few to correspond with our new signings.

But the year after that, when those born in 1990 are no longer under 21 (Ramsey, Szczezny, Nordtveit, Lansbury, Eastmond, Hoyte, Barazite, JET and Rhys Murphy)we will, assuming no one is bought/sold till then, have 35 players over 21. So at least 10 of them will have to be sold/loaned if they want the 1st team football they need. On top of that there will inevitably be some signings who will make that number bigger. The year after that another 10 will go over the age limit.

So while it seems fine for the coming season and the 1 after that, by the start of the 2012-13 season, we might have to be making some tough decisions, and it will get worse each subsequent year. Maybe that’s why Wenger has spoken out against these rules.

80. Jack Straw says:

Wait until United’s English core of Giggs, Scholes and Neville retire in a year – then they’ll really be in trouble.

81. 26may1989 says:

Lady

Apols for the rogue post!

I think Anelka will count as homegrown – he joined us in Feb 1997 and played that season, and then played in the 1998 and 1999 seasons before his glorious move to Real Madrid. If part seasons count, he’ll have clocked up three in England before the age of 21.

You’re right that, as the squad gets older, we’ll have more problems. But this is true for everyone and with six current spaces in the squad plus lots of homegrown players to max out our quota of eight, we are likely to be better positioned than anyone else for some time to come.

Wenger may have his complaints about the system but I like the premium it puts on developing young players.

82. desigunner says:

You are right about the morale issue. It will be a challenge for Mancini but one that most managers would prefer to have.

I completely agree with you about the depressing state of youngsters like Johnson and others. It reminds of Wenger saying he cannot sign too many established players because it will kill the youngsters. Wonder why the English media isn’t saying City is killing English football!?

Arsenal are very well placed as far the the new rule goes and even in comparison to the others. How we manage the younger players over the next few years once they all start crossing the 21 year threshold will be interesting to see.

83. [...] Arsenal get it right …. the Press get it wrong   What is it about the Daily Mail? No matter how much I try to ignore Fleet Street’s greatest embarrassment, I [...] [...]

Sorry I couldn’t join in yesterday but the link below is another version of this absurd new law which will be manipulated by many clubs as they will find a loop hole

.http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2094341,00.html

As you will see it only applies to PL matches not CC or CL, what really is the point?

sorry it didn’t come out the first time.

Theres a New Post

87. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Shin Ryujin, Mark Wellington. Mark Wellington said: Arsenal get it right … the Press get it wrong. http://ow.ly/2idKU #DailyFail [...]

88. Importantly, but apparently beyond the wit of the Daily Mail, homegrown players can have any passport, it’s just where they trained in their early years that counts

89. Alex says:

Excelent Post , thanks to the author!!

90. Mr Dollar says:

Good Blog About Football And Football Player …

Nice I like It. i like To Wacth Arsenal to play …