Gallas to Return?

Has Gallas really gone? We all know he is currently touring the fashion capitals of Europe in search of a two year contract and a wage that will enable him to continue the lifestyle he has become accustomed to — but is that really likely to happen? He can rule out the big four salary payers: Barça, Real, City and Chelsea, they have no interest in him.

So, now what for Gallas?

My guess is that he is in for a rude awakening, that’s if the morning sun isn’t already shining in his eyes from having Juventus laugh his grandiose demands out of town. Still smarting from that embarrassment he might just start looking a bit more fondly at our one year contract, and its suggestive nod towards a second year, with renewed interest.

Gallas has not burned his bridges at Arsenal and he is going to have to work somewhere so why not come back to the warm familiarity of the Home of Football.

Koscielny to start against Liverpool – are you sure?

I am not convinced that Koscielny, a player with so little big time experience, has been ear marked by Wenger as a first choice starter. Well, not at the very beginning of the season any way; I have trouble imagining him taking to the field along side Vermaelen at Anfield and I am not persuaded by the argument that we wouldn’t have paid ten million pounds just for back up. Why wouldn’t we is my answer to that?

There must be a few others reading this who, similar to me, like to cook? Imagine you were in the middle of cooking fish, something I am particularly fond of, and you look in the fridge in search of lemons and realise that they are all past their use by date. To solve the problem you send one son to the shops and another to pick one from the tree in the garden. Taking the fish out of the oven you are confronted with a dilemma — which lemon to use – the answer is, of course, the best one, irrespective of where it came from — the one that will make the meal the most successful.

Hopefully someone reading this will realise that the home grown lemon is a metaphor for Djourou and the purchased lemon being Koscielny – the only thing that Wenger will take into consideration when choosing between them is which one will make the team the most successful.

More new centre back signings – in our dreams.

One thing that I don’t believe will happen is that we will buy a house hold name centre back with more experience than Koscielny that’s to say Mertesacker or Jagielca.

Wenger may pit Djourou and Koscielny against each other to fight it out for the right to eventually play along side Vermaelen but I don’t believe he would buy someone who by reputation will expect an automatic first team place: the effect would be to crush the enthusiasm of the two we already have as they would be consigned to the bench for what could be the best part of the season and quite possibly a lot more. History tells us that Wenger doesn’t do that; he always gives players a chance.

Gallas’ return would solve many problems.

The beauty of Gallas returning is that he could start the season bringing all his experience to bear while gradually handing over the reigns to whoever best emerges between Djourou and Koscielny and even if Gallas starts playing out of his skin the two younger Franco-phones will know that their chance will be coming sooner rather than later.

I genuinely think Gallas’ return is a realistic possibility and is the only reason Sol is waiting before he takes up one of his many offers. If Gallas returns there is absolutely no space for Sol, if Gallas finds another club there is still work for Campbell.

Come back Gallas your team needs you.

Lets see how many people come on today, not having read to the end, and leave a belligerent comment saying I am mad and that Gallas has been released – to them I say this: he may well have been but so had Campbell and look what happened there?

Written by London

82 Responses to Gallas to Return?

1. rc says:

if you are going to keep one defender for a year then campbell would be the answer, as Gallas will upset the dressing room, why not offer sol player /coach type role so we can feed off his passion for defending, Gallas was good but too similar to TV5 so we need a sweeper behind TV5 who tends to attack the ball more and leave a gap behind him if he is “done” by the attacker, i personally can see Djourou also helping as defensive midfielder, a bit like vieira in build and he did come to us as a midfielder. we will sign one more centre half of decent age and thenfeed in the younger ones like bartley….

Morning rc,

I’m sure Arsène would like Sol to stay for another year, but we’ve seen before that he is unpredictable when a free agent. Gallas is younger and as London says, he’s not being snapped up by interested clubs offering him a hefty contract.

I think London is assuming that we won’t buy a new young right sided CB and therefore is looking at alternatives. I’d certainly take a ‘Gallas’ over a Silvestre any day of the week.

3. Chipo says:

Agree with rc on this one. Gallas is not the one we want to stay- he is too disruptive, and will expect a 1st team place just as much as any new signing.

Sol is the man for the 4th spot.

Fully expecting Djourou and Vermaelen to start the season as 1st choice pair.

Morning all.

London I have read your whole post and in a perfect world you may well be right.Unfortunately, and I mean that, I think we will lose Gallas, for whatever some may say about his emotions, he is still a fine player.

I have been reading up on Koscielny and we have followed him for three seasons in both the french divisions and he has limited experience at the very top level, but you may well be right that he may be a non starter at first.

Campbell is leaving his options open as well, but he cannot be called upon to play week in and week out.

Djorou worries me, having been out for a very long time and is still carrying strapping during training, and personally I think he is at best, a second choice as well.

A bit of a conundrum unless both Gallas and Campbell leave, then I believe we will be in the market for another centre back.

Morning Chipo,

I think we’ll get an idea of the CB pairing against pool by the selection for the Emirates Cup. If kozzer fits right in, he may pip JD – but it will be interesting. I’m not giving up hope of us signing a big right-sided CB just yet.

6. London says:

Morning RC

As I have written above, I don’t believe another new CB will be signed but your comment does raise an interesting question — if a new CB is not forth coming who’s return would be more beneficial to our season: Gallas or Campbell?

Morning London,

A very interesting post. I must admit it hadn’t occured to me that Gallas might stay, but I wouldn’t put it past our pragmatic boss!

8. afeesscosmmart says:

to all gunners fans home and abroad.let look at it this, i think giving sol a contract will be ok.is a good football that has a good leadership skill.i think is better than gallas in my own side.to the boss he self arsenal need alist three more platers b’cos if fabrigas should stay in arsenal this season.i think he be living the club.let flash back to henry,yhis is what happen aswhile….bring in a new midfielder and one denfer to make our team better……long life arsenal fc long life to all gunners fan…………love you allllllllllllllllllllll…………………

9. London says:

Good Morning Rasp

I aim to please.

BTW, I like the pic.

10. Goonerdan says:

I just want to say snc when does Arsenal Football Club settle for being 3rd, 4th or even 5th coic for a player! Wlliam Gallas should not be allowed within 100 yards of the stadium let alone the first team sheet. Not only because he has made it clear he wantsto engineer a move away for 2 years on a billion pounds a week but beause he can have such a destructive effect on a dressing room as witnessed wth the France national set up and previously with us…

If rumours eminating fo France re to be believed it ws Gallas who told Domenech not o select Nasri for the WC! how on erth cn we welcome this man back into our dressing room. Nasri has already publicly stated that no on speaks to him and he has been stripped pof the captaincy. Any title winning side needs leaders on the field and in the dressing room but above all a great dresing rooom atmosphere and team morale…

11. Lurch LeRouge says:

No thanks, Gallas has become too injury prone and he tries to play despite his calf not healing which is a liability. If he were certifiably fit then maybe, but I’d rather Sol for the added benefit in the dressing room.

12. Goonerdan says:

Sorry about the ridiculous spelling errors. My keyboard is useles!

Fantastic post London – I’m really confused now about the right thing to do. I love the passion that Campbell brings to the pitch and the dressing room, Gallas has been divisive but had a really good season before his injury.

I’m sure you’re right and one of them will still be around next season and quite right too – having an inexperienced centre-back pairing is really not what we want.

14. London says:

Morning Peaches

Glad you liked the post.

15. London says:

Goonerdan

Do you really believe that Gallas told Domenech not to pick Nasri and even if he did do you really think that Domenech would have taken any notice — now if you said that Domenech didn’t pick Nasri because of his star sign then that would have been far more credible.

16. London says:

Lurch

I think this is the first time on this site — hope to see you again.

17. London says:

Morning kelsey

Djourou worries everyone it is a fingers crossed and hope for the best.

18. simoln says:

So what happens if Vermaelen breaks his leg on the opening day? Season over

19. Loads of hits London – I’m amazed not more people have come on with an opinion.

Do we really want a Gallas thats been turned down by various other clubs to return tail between his legs to Arsenal?

20. London says:

Chipo

You are a very knowledgeable Arsenal supporter, an excellent writer and someone who is more than capable of writing head-line post….how about having a look in “Be our guest” above and give it a try.

21. London says:

Simoln

That is a thought provoking comment do you want to expand on it?

22. simoln – good point. I think we have to buy another centre-back. We’re only in this situation because we’ve had cobbled together centre-back pairings for a couple of years with no back-up.

Silvestre – in, just to paper over the cracks
    Senderos – out on loan
    Djourou – injured

Thanks goodness we bought Vermaelen otherwise we’d have been stuffed even more last season.

23. The Troof says:

Gallas is a decent player… all this talk about being disruptive is nonsense.. I sometimes wish the whole team would show his passion and anger when we do not perform… I hope he does come back… the more the merrier

24. Andy1886 says:

My concern is, if Billy does stay, wont that mean that we start the new season with exactly the same defensive first choices as last year? Even Le Boss admitted we needed to strengthen at the back, and that means improving the starting line up, not adding strength in depth.

Let Gallas go. We need an experienced partner for Vermaelen, a leader, an organiser. At times last season we were all over the place at the back. I know Billy was out a lot last season (another reason to let him go), but even when he was fit and well the defense was often a shambles.

Arsene, you promised to sort out the back line, if you think purchasing an inexperienced back up CB is the answer then I suspect you’ll be in a minority of one!

25. London says:

There is something I would like to ask the writer of today’s post: who the hell has a lemon tree in their back garden……lol

26. London says:

The Troof

I agree, the more the merrier.

27. Jay-Jay says:

London:

Nice post.

I don’t think we’ll see Gallas reurn, although it wouldn’t be the worst idead in the world – he is a quality defender, but perhpas a little too disruptive to not be considered a first choice. If we don’t buy I can see someone like Bartley or Nortveidt being considered ahead of him.

You like to cook? I have the dubious honour of doing that as my profession!

28. Lurch LeRouge says:

Yeah London, it is. Keep it up.

29. dandan says:

Morning all, great post London. AW is in between a rock and a hard place, in that Gallas has had his offer and chose to leave…. he has talent as a footballer, but it would seem falls short as a person.
    Sol on the other hand is an out and out mercenary out for his last big pay day… So AW has to decide at a time when a new generation of players both new and home grown have to be assimilated is either of them the man, my guess is no. So another defender will come in and we go with a new captain to face the challenges. Who will be captain we would probably say TV….. but maybe Joe Coles enthusiasm and never say die attitude might be what is interesting AW even though we are well covered in his position.

30. Goonerpower says:

Nooooooooooooooooo

31. London says:

Morning Jay-Jay

Has Gallas really been that disruptive since he lost the Captaincy, I am trying to think when?

32. London says:

Morning Dandan

But has Gallas left, he may have chosen to look around for improved offers, nothing wrong with that in my view but if he is not successful in his search, I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t take Arsenal’s offer that was put to him.

33. London says:

I have to go out….later

34. Lurch LeRouge says:

It’s hard to say I he’s been disruptive London, but having 2 midfielders like diaby and nasri not talking to you can’t be a good thing. They’re professionals and get on with the job but telepathy isn’t developed through lack of communication.

35. dandan says:

You may well be right London, but all the info we have both from Arsenal and the french dressing rooms seems to suggest he is a disruptive, again I ask will we want that with a much changed and younger squad.

He and and Aussie GK would also be interesting LOL

36. Lurch LeRouge says:

*if he’s been…

37. Goonerdan says:

London

With regard to your “do i really think Domenech would listen to what Gallas tells him to do”. My answer is absolutely yes! It is common knowledge that the senior players in that squad have run that tea for the last 4 years with Henry and Gallas taking over from Zidane from 4 years ago. So absolutely i ca believe that he told Domenech not to select Nasri.

38. SharkeySure says:

Thats a quality read that London !

Actually I hava a lemon tree in my garden, honest :)

40. London – I thought you must have a Lemon tree in your garden :)

Morning kelsey :D

41. I’ve just remembered irish’s post last week where she disclosed that none of Gallas, Campbell or Silvestre were listed as team members on arse.com and that therefore the no 10 is up for grabs and Robin had applied for a new number.

42. Leebo says:

Who is KOZZER?

43. Joe says:

For me, we still should be signing another defender. Djorou hasnt played for over a year and even when he was fit, he was probably 3rd or 4th choice at centre back, he would make good cover, but he isnt first choice, not if u want to contend with Man utd, chelsea and even spurs and City. Koscielny, no1 really knows yet, but he isnt coming with a reputation of someone is gona be automatic number 1 choice. I Say we try and sign either Mertesacker, Subotic, or Jagielka. After all, there is 4 competitions to play for, so u could be looking at 60 plus games a season, and u aint gona use the same 2 defenders for all those games.

Other situation to adress is goalkeeper. I cant believe of all the top quality keepers we have seen over the World Cup ( Neuer, Steklenberg, Romero, LLoris, J. Hart, Akinfeev, Eduardo etc) We have chosen to go for 37 yr old Mark Shwarzer, who isnt much better then almunia and has 1 maybe 2 decent seasons left in him.

Lets make some money by selling Has beens and sicknotes such as Eduardo and Rosicky.and sell fabianski i think we could get 18 – 22 million for the 3 0f them.

I want to see next season an arsenal team sheet that looks like this

GK: Neuer, Almunia, Mannone
    Sagna, Vermalen, Subotic, Koscielny, Clichy, Djorou, Gibbs, Nordveit, Eboue
    MF: Song, Fabregas, Nasri, Arshavin, Diaby, Joe Cole, Denilson, Ramsey, Walcott, Eastmond
    CF Van persie, Chamakh, Bendtner, Vela

I estimate after the sales of rosicky, Eduardo, Fabainski ( 20 mIllion)

And the signings of Subotic, Koscielny, Neuer ( 30 Million) Plus free signings of Chamakh and Joe Cole.

We would have constructed a much better team from net sepnding of £10 million.

44. Adedayo Olaore says:

Gallas should go and give another defender chance to play in the team.

Hi Leebo, kozzer = Koscielny

46. Leebo says:

Cheers Rasp, totally missed that one!

We 100% need to sign another defender, the last two seasons prove that in April our CB’s will start dropping like flies, we have to cincentrate on quantity as well as quality if we want to win anything

Hi Joe,

I agree with the spirit of your comment, but seriously doubt we would get anywhere near £18m for Rosicky, Dudu and Fab2. If we’re playing Championship manager, I’d keep Rosicky, send Fab2 out on loan and let Dudu go as I think a new start (probably in a continental league) would be best for him too.

Hi Leebo, yes a big right sided defender is on most supporters wishlist. It’s all gone quiet on Mertesacker, apart from him the links with Jagielka and Cahill are just rumours with no substance.

48. tommystout says:

Good post London.
    If we aint planning on signing anyone else for the defense then i would welcome Gallas back with reluctance.
    Mertsaker gets my vote though i think that if we do sign a Deutschlander then his name will be Tasci.
    Hope theres some action soon because my eyes cant cope with scanning newsnow any longer.
    Wheres DuDu?

49. thenry says:

having read your post i presume that you know more or the same as what Arsene and the coaching staff on Koscielny, i very much doubt that.
    when we signed vermalen last year we had the so called expert bloggers all claim that he would not be good enough. a year later all those bloggers are eating humble pie.
    why not let the pros decide after all you are just a blogger who gets his info from the tabloids and watching a few games compared to the Arsenal scouting network who go and watch him and learn all about the player.
    im sure you might be an expert in your own head but in reality ur just another nomark who thinks he knows but inreality knows fuk all so giv it a rest and let the pros run the club and if u dont like it then u makes ur choice.

50. London says:

And we have a winner

Bless your cotton socks thenry.

From arse.com ……..

“No-one’s participation is guaranteed on Saturday. However it is expected that the Arsenal squad will consist of younger players and some of the senior stars who have already started pre-season training.

This group includes new signings Marouane Chamakh and Laurent Koscielny plus Manuel Almunia, Thomas Vermaelen, Tomas Rosicky, Samir Nasri, Theo Walcott, Denilson, Jack Wilshere, Johan Djourou, Andrey Arshavin and Kieran Gibbs.”

….. yeah right :( I’m going to Barnet, but I don’t expect many of those listed to figure …

52. chippy says:

Cannot say i disagree London for all his faults hes still a Top Notch player and always likely to nick a goal,

London,

It took a while but you finally landed one :P

thenry,

calm down.Perhaps you didn’t notice, but this an Arsenal blog where we discuss and debate various opinions as we see them , That’s it, opinions.

55. London says:

Chippy

That’s where I am coming from.

56. Pat7 says:

Great post London & very thought provoking!

I’m between Gallas & a splinter in the arse! I agree that Gallas is the better player & with our GK & DM sorted will be fine with the other lads in rotation IF they’re good enough.

Sol would be useful for rotation should the others come up to scratch but will be more injury prone this season in comparison & better from the general spirit & organisation should his heart be in it!

I think AW will judge by the pre-season the ‘boys” capabilities before buying but the ‘oldies’ may force his hand!

57. Pat7 says:

London, I’ll have a lemon tree when my new house is built :-)

58. Pat7 says:

thenry – do you realise you’re the only one here that has not recognised the quality of London’s post?

Maybe you need to read it again & note it’s a super Arsenal fan that wrote it not a spud!

59. Livers says:

You talking to yourself Pat7 ?

60. Jay-Jay says:

London:

I was basing my statemnt about Gallas being a disruptive influence on the reports coming out of the club, I don’t know for sure.

Personally, I think it’s time for him to move on. Starting the season with Koscielny, Vermy and Djourou as the 3 main centre-back could be a bad idea given their combined lack of experience, but I’ve faith in the managemnt that they wouldn’t be doing so without good reason.

The only thing, and correct me if I’m wrong, that slightly worries me is that all 3 are left-footed.

61. Pat7 says:

Livers – it seemed that way!

62. Pat7 says:

JJ – I’d love to rely on those 3 but with two of them nil experience of late at EPL & one carrying knee strapping & thigh strapping on the other Our needs for a ‘solid’ EPL player is paramount besides the left foot issue.

If Sol had his heart in it that might be enough to try for a while or preferably Gallas for this season which I’m sure was in AW’s mind when offering him the one year but if that’s not the case we need to buy – Nordveldt is too young still.

63. SharkeySure says:

“I saw Juarez playing against England at Wembley before the World Cup and just kept an eye on him.

Neil Lennon on his signing of a Mexican he has seen play a total of four times in the space of approx 6 weeks !!

Hardly in-depth scouting is it !!!

64. London says:

Jay-Jay

Vermealen is left footed but the other two are both right footed.

65. Jay-Jay says:

Really?

I wasn’t sure about Koscielny, but I am about Djourou.

As i write, nearly 3000 hits and a fraction of those have left comments. is that a testament to the post, that there is little or nothing to add.

5 days with a new avatar and nobody noticed :)

Koscielny is actually adept with either foot, he is not right footed.

Hi kelsey,

I am also of the belief that kozzer is technically right footed but so adept with either that it doesn’t matter.

London, if you are basing the assumption that kozzer is left footed on the tackle in that Youtube clip, I think that it is just an illustration of how good he is with both feet.

70. London says:

There is so much evidence on Youtube showing that Koscielny is right footed it is beyond doubt in my mind. As for being good with both feet, well, I certainly hope so in the same way as both Gallas and Campbell were but which side of the defence would you have ever wanted either of those two to play?

71. SharkeySure says:

Kozzer is NOT left footed !!

Nor is Djourou from what I can tell, althoug I’m muchless convinced on that one.

72. London says:

By the way Kelsey I noticed your new avatar I thought you were going for the more friendly approch…..it works.

Not sure how to take that, London ;)

74. London says:

Cuddley Kelsey

75. Jay-Jay says:

Bloody ‘ell. You guys got 3000 hits today?

What’s the secret? I struggle to push 100. I’ve tried registering with a few news accumilation sites (you need 6 months of posts for NewsNow) and I’m as yet having just a little trace of results.

So, if you guys have a moment, a little advice would be really usefull.

76. Hi Jay-Jay – are you still there?

77. dandan says:

has anyone managed to register for the three friendly matches on the Arsenal site, I can find no way to give them money

78. Jay-Jay says:

Peaches: I am here.

79. andy says:

Nice post London. I can see your logic but cant see it happening, Gallas as we all know is very stubborn and proud and probably a little bit full of his own self-importance. I think the only way for him to stay would be for AW to give him a very lucrative 2 yr contract and that aint happening. I think Arsene is still looking for another centre back and it probably wont be a household name. JD and TV to start the season with LC and another to add a bit of cover/competition. I also think that it will be another little boost to team morale to see him go (if you believe the rumours that is)

80. 26may1989 says:

I’m with peaches and others on this one: we need to get another CB in. Much better to get someone in who can do the job from day one and have a few years as an Arsenal player than go back to either Gallas or Campbell. I wouldn’t object to Campbell being kept for back-up (though I’m sure he’ll go elsewhere) but it is vital we provide Vermaelen with a more reliably solid partner than any of Gallas, Campbell, Djourou and Koscielny.

As for Gallas, he did have his best season for us last year and clearly got on well with Vermaelen, but I would still be happy for him to stay gone. He’s bad for morale, and I also think we can and should get someone who is fitter and technically better.

Re Koscielny, I very much hope he shows what he can do in spades, but the fact remains, he’s 24 and has had just one season of experience at Ligue 1 level. However much potential he may have (and I hope it’s lots) can we really afford to base our sesson? And sorry to say, Djourou is not only coming back off a long injury, but his positional sense was more than a little wayward before that

Theres a NEW POST by a new writter…………