How Good Is The Premiership Really?

Written by peaches

If you were asked who the top ten world class players were in the premiership I’m sure your list would include Rooney, Torres, Cesc, Lampard, Drogba, Anelka, Van Persie to name a few – no spuds of course – yet all these players have failed to live up to their expectations in South Africa this summer.

Season on season they light up the premiership for their clubs and yet none of them, so far, have been able to grab a game by the scruff of its neck and make things happen. Mind you, our Cesc did put though some lovely balls to David Villa last night who strangely didn’t say thankyou for a single one.

The theories for this lack of sparkle are many – playing at altitude, training at altitude and the Jubilana ball are all being given as reasons why the tournament isn’t seeing the best of our stars in addition to the fact that ours is the biggest league and we play more games than anyone else. But maybe when compared to the South Americans the Premiership isn’t as good as we think it is.  I thought England did OK against Slovenia – they couldn’t have played any worse than against Algeria – but I find watching Argentina and Uruguay far more inviting.

How many of the Premierships world class players would get into a Fantasy Argentina Side for example?

Why didn’t Drogba or Anelka do for their countries what they do for Chelsea week in week out?

As an England supporter I want Rooney to do really well (cough, splutter) but as an Arsenal supporter I want Cesc to weave his magic for Spain and Robin to bury a few in the top left-hand corner for Holland to delight the millions that will be watching world-wide. Although its a double-edged sword having Cesc do well as obviously his talents are not really appreciated by Spain.

I want the players that we watch week in week out to be a credit to themselves and to the Premiership that is lauded as the strongest league in the world – its not happening so far. Is that because they’re really not that good by comparison?

91 Responses to How Good Is The Premiership Really?

1. andy says:

Is it because the teams they are used to playing with are actually better than their international team-mates and the bond that can exist at club level is hard to replicate within a team who play together occasionally. I think Chelsea for example are far better than the Ivory coast and France (under domenech anyway)

2. forza forza says:

the prem has turned into the spl united and chavs,the rest are just also rans.

3. andy says:

not sure about that ff. I think its more competitive than ever. There’s very few gimme’s in the prem now. Every game has to be won….and we will be back on top of the tree this year i’m sure.

4. Icedre218 says:

What seperates the premiership is that you have or had the big four, but a lot of the other teams would put up a good fight. Spain you have Real Madrid and Barcelona, then Valencia and the rest just roll over. Italy have both Milan teams and Roma, then the rest arent all that. The Premier League have teams like Villa, Everton, Fulham, Man City who will all have a go, and they are not far off. Plus teams like Birmingham, Stoke and Sunderland are hard to beat.

So Italy and Spain have a few great teams, with fantastic players, but the Premier League is by far a better and more competitive league.

5. kc says:

Much better competition in the Premier League. Week to week anybody can beat anybody. This is not the case in Italy or Spain.

Interesting post peaches.

The Premiership should be reduced to 16 teams, or at least down to 18 to reduce the physical strain on the players.

The number of injuries and player fatigue in the last quarter of the season are unacceptable. Rooney, Torres, Barry and Drogba all went into the WC carrying injuries and had almost certainly played for their clubs whilst not fully fit.

AA couldn’t adapt to the physical demands of the prem. I think a lot of the English based players went into the WC pretty exhausted from a long hard season and they will be starting next season’s campaign in the same condition.

7. anto says:

better players in spain when u tink bout it
    messi ronaldo kaka etc etc

8. Red Arse says:

Hi

The thing to remember is that these great players play with other great players in Premiership teams.

With their own countries they play with others who are not good enough to get into a top premiership team. In other words the cream is much more thinly spread.

Arsenal finished 3rd in the Prem, but a number of our boys have gone out of the WC because their national teams are weak.

9. dilshan says:

I do not think there is a simple answer to why these players are not doing as well as they should, but for me one of the biggest stand out point has been the style of play. Tim Cahil got sent off for a tackle he makes week in week out in PL and will hardly get booked and in fact will be applauded as great tackle etc…but out side England that is viewed as anti-football ( which I agree with)..I want to watch the best players create magic not some greek dude chase Messi around..so my feel is that when they go to these big tournament the style of play they are used to in PL hinders them and they if they try to replicate the PL style they thrive in they get sent off..also the refering has been very good for most parts, Gerrad and Rooney do not get protected any more than a African or Asian player hence some cry babies like Drogba and to lesser extent Rooney have not have been able to get away with murder…Anelka has always been a flat pitch bully though…also to do not think we can read much into the performance of torres as he seems to be unfit

10. Icedre218 says:

Ok lets look at what we have in the premier league.
    RVP, Fabregas, Arshavin, Nasri, Vermaelen, Rooney, Giggs, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Drogba, Essien, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Malouda, Terry, Arteta, Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano, Tevez, Modric to name but a few world class stars.

And I believe Wilshere, Rodwell, Adam Johnson are future stars. Plus there are going to be signings after the world cup. The Prem looks pretty sweet to me.

11. SharkeySure says:

Interesting post Peaches, but its just too warm and lovely a day for me to be inside writing about it. Lol

12. dandan says:

Clever post peaches,well done, needs some thinking about.

13. adam says:

Without the top foreign players the PL would be owned by Allardyce, Pulis, McLeish and every other thug manager who endorses dirty play. It would be an endless festival of high balls, scything tackles and elbows to the head. The referees just don’t protect the quality players. Yet the English press just cannot wait to get the best players transferred to Spain. Considering the small fortune it costs to watch Arsenal play and the awful state of football finances in the country I think the outlook is potentially bleak for those who love expansive, passing football.

14. no55 says:

Many of the fancied European based players are dead tired after a long season and some but not all are probably wishing they are lying somewhere in the Caribbean islands instead of South Africa.

Is this really so hard to understand?

no55,

I have said exactly the same thing,our players play too much football.Several European countries have a winter break, don’t have two domestic cups and those that plan the fixtures need some questions asked of them.Sometimes 4 games in 10/11 days, other times not a game for 8 days.

peaches with regards to your post, many of those top names you mention are obviously more club before country players, and how often do they suddenly pull out of meaningless friendlies in the middle of our domestic season.

16. Pat7 says:

Too many games in the Prem, what with too many teams & two cup competitions, have left our players jaded, especially without the winter break that the others get.

Just look at the sharpness, running and vitality in the others. The Kaiser has said we’re stupid and I agree!!

Arsenal players are even more handicapped as half their squad are in sick bay…………..

17. Pat7 says:

Peaches, have you noticed the high level of ‘professionalism’ at this World Cup? The dives, fouls off the ball and scything tackles to block moves are unbelievable. Even Brazil have resorted to this match tactic, in fact they are at the top of the pile in their skills in that direction also, showing no emotion whilst doing it as well!

Some very good points made and an interesting subject for the post.

IMO the argument saying that the PL puts too many stresses upon the players is misleading. Lucio played over 60 games for Inter, and looks fresh and fired up.

Though I do agree we should have less PL teams. Start by relegating Blackburn, Stoke and the Spuds

Pat7. I gree about the Cups, yet a huge percentage of Gooners called for AW’s head after he refused to prioritise the Milk/Littlewoods/Coke/Carling Cup.

Shame that the Uruguay v South Korea was held in a half empty stadium.Has this really been a WC for the whole of Africa, one asks.

21. andy says:

BR. I am one who hates it when AW belittles the cup competitions by playing not just a few youngsters but an entire youth team. I think the prem could be reduced by a couple of teams but realistically we are talking about men in their twenties who dont have to work for a living but have to play 50-60 games of football a year. Hardly hard labour is it ?

22. Nedu says:

The logic is simple! There’s being no stand out players in this competition! La liga, serie a, bundesliga, brava, nada!

23. andy says:

WANTED

Fit adult male 18-25 to work 3-4 hrs a day 4 days a week having a kick around in the park. Small amount of gym work. 90-95 mins Weekend work compulsory for a game of football raising to 100mins if leading against manutd, possibly occasional 90 mins overtime midweek. May involve travel to Barcelona, Madrid, Paris and other european destinations. Starting salary 500-600k with massive potential for growth and bonuses. Huge ego and chip on your shoulder preferred but not essential. Be aware you may have to play up to 50 games of the nations favourite game in each calendar year and marry a supermodel, singer or celebrity.

Crappy job i know, cant think who would want to do such a thing just to pay the bills ! haha

I’m sorry, I like most idolise the players but lets not lose sight of just how difficult their job actually is.

24. forza forza says:

25. EvoInOz says:

Andy – that is gold my friend!

26. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evo

Are you backing the poms or krauts? Just for this WC I’m backing Blighty :)

27. musher says:

football is about team work. Japan have 11 average players but they work together effectively and credit to them, they are well deserved to go into second round.

Good morning/evening lads.

Bloemfontein, a great venue, hardly any accomodation available, but at least by all reports there are no disturbances, and everyone is getting along fine.

I wish some of the media would stop talking about penalty shoot outs for the game today.

I would naturally like to see England win, see a good game over 90 minutes or, if must, be it over 120 minutes.
    Raddy and I disagree about playing too much football,well today we will see as the germans have had a winter break,yet experience wise we are the stronger team on paper, and therefore the bookies favorites.

No question that our key players need to show that they are proud to wear the shirt and give 110%.

sad to read in the Daily Mole that Wenger has told Eduardo that he is surplus to requirements,with the arrival of chamakh, and also the sad loss of form he has suffered since that terrible day at birmingham, but I think it is plain to see he is mentally shot.Maybe it is is kind to be cruel and he may be able to regain his confidence in a less prestigous league.if it wasn’t for the quick action of gary lewin he may never have walked again, let alone play football.I wish him well regardless if he stays or as seems the case most probably goes.

What the Japanese team show is that teamwork is essential but there needs to be a spark of originality and genius. Honda supplies that for them.

We need the same from Rooney or we are out.

Kelsey. If one believes what is written in the Mole then we are in deep trouble !

31. dandan says:

Morning all. For those off you who are feeling less than chipper I give you this.

I had a mate who was suicidal. He was really
    depressed, so I pushed him in front of a steam train. He was chuffed to bits.

Morning dandan :P

We’ve been let down on a post for today, bit it’s not a problem as everyone is focused on England or outside getting sunburnt.

I had always assumed that the French called us ‘Le Roast Beef’ because of our eating habits, but a French friend informed me it is because we go over there and turn pink in the sun like a rare steak- not very flattering!

33. dandan says:

Much to much happening to worry about todays post am sure something good will turn up for tomorrow

I have written a post for tomorrow dandan which I expect will ruffle a few feathers ;)

35. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Ok all, heres a big Go England from GG9. Its your time to shine :cool:

36. London says:

You can take a Pom out of England but you can never take all of England out of the Pom ;)

Good for you gg :)

Come on England, it would be great for English football and therefore Arsenal if England do well.

If I can dream for a second, imagine if we beat Spain in the final – a side packed with Barcelona players, and Cesc sat watching from the bench.

38. andy says:

Haha like it Rasp.

39. London says:

It was so funny watching Cesc’s body language the other day when he came on; he is so used to having every ball played to him from our defence that he was confused when it didn’t and then a bit sheepish as the ball made its way to Xavi reminding him exactly where he stands in the national team’s (Barcelona’s) pecking order.

40. dandan says:

Will look forward to seeing it Rasp. just hope my house isnt on the line again LOL

41. London says:

What are the two most important legs of this world cup? Roony’s, Gerrard’s Terry’s or Cesc’s?

42. London says:

Obviously Cesc’s?

43. London says:

Wrong

44. London says:

Xavi’s legs are the most important, if one of those gets broken then Barcelona will get serious about this Cesc transfer……right now he will lead us into the new season.

45. London says:

Surely it is more important that one of Cesc’s legs does’t get broken?

46. London says:

Wrong

47. London says:

If it is a clean break, alla Nasri, he could be back before Christmas.

48. London says:

That’s back with us before Christmas.

Hi London,

Hasn’t Arsène said definitively that Cesc is not for sale, or are you suggesting that Barca would make an offer that we could not refuse?

It’s a good point about Cesc being the focus for Arsenal’s play but not for Spain or indeed Barca if he goes there. He should remember what happened to Henry, he went from pivotal superstar to just another squad member when he left.

Wow, 8 on the trot for (drum roll) London :)

By my calculations we will only have about seven players leaving, so either its all bullocks or Wenger has become ruthless.

Hi kelsey,

I’m never sure if AW is/can be ruthless? I think it would be best for Eduardo and best for Arsenal if he found a new club in an easier league.

We discussed video technology on here a few days ago – I would ask those who were anti, if they still feel the same way after that injustice.

Rasp,

There is only one man against it, but I partly blame the asst.referee he just stood still.

In all honesty we could have been 4-0 down, Upson goes from villan to hero. Have you noticed Neuer keeps his eyes shut when in a melee.

We have a lifeline, but no real width and Rooney is piss poor.

We were dreadful in that half, truly dreadful. An equaliser would have been a travesty of justice.

But, how karmic was that decision?

I hope there are more goals or people will concentrate only on that decision, not on an awful prformance in the first half.

Still, if we keep up the tempo we could win this.

True kesley, but we had a perfectly good goal disallowed and they didn’t score their other chances so it should be 2 all. I hope someone told the referee at half time what a ricket he made and so he somehow (subliminally) redresses the balance with maybe a soft penalty for England.

Nice summing up. No width and Rooney pisspoor

I don’t think it was karmic Raddy, the goal in 66 was on the line. Modern day technology still hasn’t been able to prove it was a goal whereas the one just now was clearly well over the line.

Rasp, perhaps I was being a little too poetic.

There are players being carried in this team – Johnson, Upson, Milner and Rooney.

I would take off Milner or Barry. Move Gerrard central and bring on Cole

I have never seen Rooney play so poorly. His passing is woeful, and shooting worse

Either Rooney has not adapted to the altitude or he is carrying an injury. His performances have been worse than just a player out of form.

I can see Crouch coming on and us bombarding them with long balls (and then conceding when they score on the break)

What price 4-2?

OK, at least the loss won’t be blamed on a refereeing decision now.

Several of these England players are unlikely ever to play in the WC again so it’s sad for them.

Prepare for the clamour to sack Capello and appoint an English manager.

I expect Capello to fall on his sword.

Apart from 15 minutes versus Slovenia this has been an embarassment, and the team needs a root and branch remodelling. Only Rooney should stay and that because he is still young.

I think you’re right about Capello Raddy, shame because I quite like him but I do wonder if he lost his bottle when he selected the players for the squad.

What price Roy Hodgson?

Next WC. Theo, Wilshere,Rooney,the Everton boys, Eastmond, Hart,Dawson, Richards ….. had they played in this game they couldn’t have done worse.

Rasp. Evens and I bet DD’s house

I would like to see the foul count. We were very soft and maybe would have been better off making a war of it. We certainly couldn’t beat them with skill.

:lol: Raddy

Too many spuds in the squad – that was the problem :evil:

Barring a catastrophic collapse we should go 3-0 up in the cricket ;-)

Too many individuals and no strike force. ith Rooney off-form we had no go to guy. Heskey, Defoe, Crouch, Lennon??

As you say – too manu Spuds

Capello said “We played well”

Anyway, thank god theo wasn’t involved and I still have an interest with Spain.

Let’s be honest England were woeful throughout the tournament and I see old Arry is the new messiah on BBC.

Good point raised by mullery.germany won the under 21 tournament beating us 4-0 and 5 of those players were on the pitch today, and we had one in Milner(who was over 21 in any case.)

75. dandan says:

Sorry cant stop have to go tell the pawnbroker me house is on the line.

i thought you said pornbroker for a moment. ;)

77. dandan says:

We will have a week of the media, witch hunting capo and his squad, the knives are being sharpened right now.
    Then the pissed off press, many of whome will have been brought home early from their free holiday will get down to real business of cooking up the transfer rumours.
    Happy days

78. I’m so glad I didn’t invest too much emotion in this England team – would’ve loved them to go further but to be honest none of those players have ever brought me any joy – apart from the little shit that is.

I know I would feel ripped apart if it had been Arsenal out there today so roll on Messi and Argentina tonight, at least its a chance to watch some beautiful football.

Sad for the team, if only because they clearly tried hard. They had the chance to show that they were not ignorant, overpaid,over-rated, morally bankrupt, prima donnas and they blew it.

80. London says:

Had we got the 2-2 that was rightly ours we wouldn’t have played like it was Carling Cup game and chances are we wouldn’t have lost in the way we did. God, I hate the Germans, I don’t care if it is non PC; today I just hate them.

81. goonergerry says:

That has got to be one of the worst defensive displays by a top football nation I have ever seen. Capello has to go-England have been a shocking embarrassment.

FFS…. now the cricket is going tits up. 9 down!!

Phew. Too close for comfort.

If Arsenal sign Balotelli, I am a Chinaman’s Uncle……

I have thought over my remarks about the fact that we play too much football in the PL. I concede I was wrong, as these International players who have performed miserably throughout this whole tournament, given a couple of weeks will be on tour in all the far flung places throughout the world with their respective clubs, and we will then most probably see a quick return to form.

MU look as though they have signed a fine plyer in Hernandez, but how could they allow Tevez to leave? The man is fantastic and worth 2 Berbatovs – he would be a fantasy signing for us.

87. London says:

Now that is a very good question, how could they allow Tevez to leave?

Quietest day ever yesterday!

Too much heat and depression in Blighty to blog.

On reflection it was a sad exit for men who despite their personal shortcomings have always given everything for England. Gerrard, Cole Terry Lamps & James have never hidden, worked hard and been away from home for many months in the England cause. They may have lacked talent and cohesion but one couldn’t criticise them for lack of application.

The future for the England team will be very interesting – so many good kids coming through (except at right back).

What is evident at this WC is the rise of the Smaller nations. Chile, Paraguay, S.Korea, Uruguay, Slovakia, Ghana & Japan all getting out of their groups against what on paper seemed stronger opposition. And they all play attacking football.

New post …..

90. Rolando Mauk says:

These lists never get old, can’t help but click