Questions for Arsenal Fans

Written by dandan

What is it about so many football fans that they seem to delight in emphasising the negatives  when it comes to their club? It matters not who within the club makes the statement, the built in defence mechanisms that surround the glass half empty brigade immediately activates,  causing them to sharpen their pencils, tear at their hair and default immediately to denial mode.

Unhappy not to be told, unhappier when they are, questioning every statement whilst poo-pooing anything that does not show the ink drying on a newly signed contract. Why do they put themselves through this? Surely it would be better to hibernate for the summer and then access the official site and review the squad when the transfer window closes.

Constructive criticism is one thing, but the inability to accept that there may be a grain of truth in these statements is another. Even if they are not true and some patently are not, the amount of abuse they engender, much of it vitriolic and profane is remarkable. Why if you were a true fan, would you want to fire such loathsome denigration at the team you profess to support?

The great joy of being a fan is discussing the club and yes it is a matter of opinions, but seeing that many of these opinions are often both uninformed and wrong, it does beggar the question why do we get so upset and why so often negative and aggressive?

We are a great club, with a great manager, our future is bright, do we need the abuse, or are we better than that?

Interesting times

Is football itself coming to its senses? Today, bloggers are posting that two out of contract players connected with Arsenal have priced themselves out of the market place.  Joe Cole is reportedly looking for a pay packet in excess of  £100k a week and is said to have been rejected by Man Utd, leaving the field open for Arsenal and the Spuds. Whilst William Gallas too has had his demands rejected, this time with Juventus.

Now I don’t know about you, but I cannot see AW paying an attacking midfielder that kind of money, when we already have a gaggle of players in his position, none of whom are earning anything remotely like that.

It would seem that its down to ‘appy ‘arry to talk the spuds parent company into allowing the kind of excesses practiced at several of ‘arrys former clubs as they boldly marched down the road to insolvency. I doubt it will happen,  these are proper businessmen, not soccer infatuated locals blinded by the glamour of mixing with the so-called stars and celebrities of our game

As for dear William our ever rational ex-skipper, he not only wants twice the contract length we have offered him, but also twice the salary Juventus have offered him.

Could it be that clubs themselves are coming to their senses? Realising that in these difficult times across Europe it is not wise to be seen paying players excessively, when fans struggle to meet the commitments of everyday life, without being mugged for the price of a season ticket.

What, I wonder, would the faithful say if Gallas unable to realise the value he puts on himself elsewhere, elects to stay at the Emirates?

Likewise Joe Cole at Chelsea.

Interesting times it seems…….

160 Responses to Questions for Arsenal Fans

1. London says:

Morning all

To answer the question: I would welcome Gallas back with open arms. Why, for the simple reason that our squad would be stronger and we would have a better chance of winning the League. As for his state of mind, where’s the problem he would have had an opportunity to see if he could get a better deal and lets face it he does not have too many those opportunities left and if he can’t he will be appreciative of Arsenal’s offer, so I see no reason why we shouldn’t have a determined, professional William Gallas in our ranks.

2. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, sticking your head above the parapet with your view on Gallas there London. If you were to assess Gallas as a player purely then of course his inclusion in our 2010/11 squad makes sense, it’s just the baggage that comes with him.
    I’m quite a forgiving chap(cough, cough) so I wouldn’t be incensed if we were to see him back(although I’d like it if AA got the number10 shirt).
    Still laughing at the Eyeties though – hadee ha-ha !

3. London says:

The Cesc Daily Round UP

I can report that there are no stories about Cesc in El Mundo Deportivo this morning; they have turned their attention to the German, Mesut Odzil and a good thing that is as well.

Our very own Daily Mail have regurgitated an old story but in essence they offer nothing we don’t already know.

So, this Friday, all is quiet on the Cesc front.

4. shakyArsene says:

I think the fact that we could have had Alonso or Ronaldo or Ibrhimovic or Ribery but our penny pinching ways stopped that makes me that way…Does that answer your question?

5. Babar says:

Gallas is a cancer

6. London says:

Morning Shaky

I am curious….penny pinching…..in what way?

7. London says:

Babar

What team do you support?

8. dilshan says:

I am all for Galls staying if he agrres to the terms of the Club, I will prefer to bring in one CB and blood him in and have Gallas as back just in case if things do not work out and any new CB might take time to settle into the team, the league and how we play..but should never be held for ransom by any player no matter how great he is…I for one come from the school of thought that as long as we have AW with the backing of the board and now with the improved financial position of the club we will be fine..I am not sure if Cesc will leave or not but I sure do not loose sleep over it…he is not Arsenal and 125 years of History is not in the hand of one player, so be it very good one..What frustrates me most is some idiots who call themselves arsenal fans when all they do is look to find faults with everything and anything..like had a fan go at NB52 yesterday for colouring his tape with marker pen and this fan was so intelligent he did not realise that the Fifa rules meant NB52 could not have white tape showing ….I some time think while us fans remain so ignorant and foolish we will always be taken for a ride by the media and some mercenary players

9. forza forza says:

Standards have slipped dramatically and it’s not good enough,time for a change the future is not orange.

10. London says:

Welcome dilshan

Excellent comment, it is clear and understandable that Gallas wants to get the best deal for himself and his family and why not? Equally I don’t expect Arsenal to beheld to ransom which clearly they are not so if this negotiation turns out that Gallas stays no harm has been done and we have a another very experienced player in our ranks.

11. London says:

Morning Forza

The future is Red and White.

12. forza forza says:

london it’s not,forget the future we are here and now.

Morning all,

Typically upbeat post dandan :P

Given the choice, I’d only want players who want to play for US, but in Gallas’ case I’d make an exception. Koscielny could learn a lot from either Gallas or Sol.

My heart says it would be better to keep Sol and let Gallas go but my head says that Gallas would be a better choice.

14. Gooner says:

Gallas has already left the club according to Arsene.

15. London says:

Forza

What team do you support, we are Arsenal supporters and on here the future is Red and White.

16. MattK says:

would gallas give half-assed performances though? On his day he can be one of the best defenders in the PL, but as we all know when he has a bad day, he has a bad day.
    Sort of agree with shakyarsene with the type pf players we’ve missed out on for being just a million quid sort of valuation. That’s the one thing that annoys me about AW, his stingyness.

How did we not see Messi when he was a young lad?

17. London says:

Gooner

When did Wenger say that?

18. forza forza says:

im arsenal,but am very disappointed with the way things have been going for a long time now.

19. London says:

MattK

Of course we saw Messi, for goodness sake, there were work permit problems.

And by the way can you explain how we would have got Ibrahimavich if Arsene had been willing to spend a few quid more?

20. zeki says:

Are you guys serious lol?
    Gallas is 100% leaving and I’m delighted by it, he solks and he is the reason OUR KOLO left us in the first place. if it wern’t for him, Kolo would be playing alongside Vermaelen. Not to mention the fact that Gallas looked average in the world cup against average sides.

I would Rather Mr Wenger keeps Sol Campbell, because he in more determined than Gallas, and it’s clear to see on the pitch that everyone recpects him, and most importantly, he clearly has Arsenal in his Heart, that is exacty what wee need at Arsenal! More

21. shakyArsene says:

Both Alonso, Ronaldo and Ribery were over money, pittance compared to what they are worth now.

22. London says:

Forza

The last five years could have been better, we could have won some silver ware but we didn’t it’s a bummer. So now how does it work? Do you continue to be pissed of with that forever or do you look forward to the forth coming season with the hope that things will improve.

23. clockendrider says:

Forza,
    A misnomer if ever there was one. Are you one of the Viv Nicholson spend today, hang tomorrow brigade? What kind iof a comment is “forget the future”? Is that the way you run your own life? If so that’s fine. I’ll be happy to buy the Big Issue from you at some point in the not too distant future. Oh, but by then it will be the present so the future won’t matter will it?….

24. London says:

Shaky

In what way was Alonso over money? Said the spider to the fly.

25. Gooner says:

@LONDON

“I don’t know if Gallas has been perturbed by his departure from Arsenal,” Wenger said.

Morning all (again)

back to yesterday.

I think the interview on RTE with Souness was very interesting – he’s putting England’s problems down to training and living at altitude, the daft thing is there seems to be some substance to it. There was an article in one of the papers about it as well – it seems it takes your body 3-4 weeks to get used to training at altitude and during that 3-4 week period you lose all your energy basically as a result of oxygen starvation. There after your body adapts, starts to recover and your energy levels are boosted dramatically – the problem is they’ve been there 4 weeks, so they are now at the lowest point, but should recover and be fighting fit for pre-season training back home !!!!!

You have to love the FA for fucking things up don’t you !
    ——————————————————

I can understand your point London about Gallas, it makes perfect sense, but I would still rather have him in our squad,at least for next year.

Wenger was quoted as saying that Gallas is out of contract and is leaving.

Plenty of clubs will be after honda, and at 24 as an attacking midfielder with CL experiewne he would fit in nicely (sorry BR) for Rosicky who is a spent force and 29 .

Oh dandan,thanks for the post.

27. shakyArsene says:

London you’re joking right?

28. dilshan says:

IN enlgand we can not sign Brazilians before they turn 18 and work permit issues and Messi wanted to leave Argentina for immediate medical care he needed and he could only go Barca..Ibra did not want to play a trail game and now if a player is going to be that much of a big head when he was nothing and expect the club to change its ways for him then are we not being hypocritical by saying that galls this and that and at the same time saying we should bend our rules for another player..who at the biggest stage has been a flop and lack of work rate etc would mean he will not work in PL…UTD missed out on Zidane and Ronaldinio too, every club misses out on v good players ..thats the game and thata how it works..many years of disappointment ..lolll..ask the spuds and they will tell you what disappointment really is

Fine post as always DD.

Mattk & shakyarsene. Where is your proof ? You are responding to the media bullshit… see post above! The only one who definitely got away was Ronnie, and at €12m for a 17y.o. I understand why AW was reluctant.

MattK. You could ask the same question of Barca & Cesc and Messi wasn’t in our youth set up :-)

30. London says:

Thanks clockendrider

You have just put some humour back into my day.

31. London says:

Shaky

No I’m not joking, how did we lose Alonso over money? Please explain?

Good comment Dilshan

33. clockendrider says:

Glad to help, London. Honestly, some of these Doomers do need to leave their darkened rooms from time to time and get some vitamin D to lighten their mood….

34. shakyArsene says:

He himself said he wanted to come to Arsenal, it is well known that our valuation was only off by a fraction. Look if you think our club is doing great good for you, mediocrity is clearly your motto, But what I saw in the games that count is a gulf in class that makes me realize how far behind we really are.

35. forza forza says:

spot on s.a

I agree that it seems likely that Gallas is leaving. I think Arsène was/is hoping that one of Gallas or Sol stays as he doesn’t want to buy antoher defender apart from Koscielny. It’s the perennial problem – any player of real quality is not going to be happy sitting on the bench and I think Arsène sees Koscielny as TV’s CB partner.

kelsey,
    I’m glad you watched the link to the Souness interview – I think there may be a grain of truth to it.

Todays post reminds me of an old East London joke…..

A Jewish (West Indian/Pakistani/Bengali etc etc) girl takes her boyfriend home for dinner with her parents.

The mother cooks an enormous meal and the young man eats and eats everything that is on the table. Finally he is replete and sits back exhausted.

The mother says “Would you like some more”? to which the lad replies “No , Thank you”. Upon hearing his reply the mother says…..

“What you don’t like my cooking?”

38. forza forza says:

how the hell will things improve with signing like chamakh and kolcielny?????? and on top of that losing our best player????

39. London says:

Shaky

If you can find me one quote from Alonso saying that he wanted to come to Arsenal I will conceed this and belive me I do not conceed this one easily. That is your challenge — one quote. If you can’t I hope you ask yourself is that really true? Did Alonso really want to come to Arsenal or did he really want to return to Spain and play for the most highly respected club of his up bringing?

40. shakyArsene says:

Raddy 5 years without a trophy and a greater gap in class between the Mancs and us doesn’t make me feel too full.

41. shakyArsene says:

I’ll have a check London, but I love how you are missing the rest of my post and point.

Kelsey. You have the wrong man! I like TR but if you recall last summer, we both agreed that he was finished. That we have finally got some games out of him is a bonus and hopefully with a summer’s rest and a proper pre-season we can get more out of him.

But I don’t think he is the answer and would sell him if we could get a few mill. (sorry Irish).

Honda looks the dogs but AW got burnt with our last Japanese WC wonder (Inamoto), and I doubt he will try again.

43. clockendrider says:

Shaky,
    10 points is how far we are behind. Which given a fair wind and fewer injuries could easily have been far fewer or even none at all. There are lots of us within whose memory finishing within sight of the title was considered at worst encouraging for the future. I’m struiggling to see how finishing behind a team which is entirely financed by one man, during a time of economic downturn and when the financial rules are being changed to ensure a move by all clubs to self sufficiency, and following a massive capital investment in a new stadium which greatly enhances operating revenues into the future is discouraging.
    There is a test run by child psychologiosts to assess mental faculties and development in children. The child is offerred one sweet now or two sweets later. The child with more developed faculties does the calculation and works out that deferred pleasure now will result in greater pleasure in the future. That I’m afraid sums up the split in our support. A bit dispiriting that anyone over the age of nine still can’t get that deferral is not the same as missing out entirely.

Aha The Deferred Pleasure Syndrome…..

The mention of unsigned players …… Pavlov’s Dog.

This IS a quality blog!

45. Bigsix says:

Mornin All
    Being a SA based gooner, Gallas was blown away by vuvuzelas and he is gone.
    A like him is essential in our back four but the problem is off the field companionship. To me his attitude is totaly not proffessional.
    The Cole – Fab stories, i will only believe when it is from the horses mouth. If AW says he had not discuss about future with CESC, what makes it difficult for us to believe.
    I am sure AW cannot pay that much for Cole even though he is a freebie. Get TEVEZ and wud warmly welcome our own Lassana Diara. Gallas, thanks but no thanks!!

46. shakyArsene says:

So London your whole argument is based on a future that hasn’t happened yet?

47. clockendrider says:

Shaky,
    Is yours based ona future that has?
    Wow, welcome onto the stage Dr Who….

48. forza forza says:

all these rose tinters seem to think that we will somehow become good in the future because of these rules coming in,it’s not going to happen,we have fallen so far behind due to the fact that the players we have now are a,not good enough and b, no longer want to be part of arsenal,are main player infact.

BigSix. Welcome. If I could wish for a player it would be Simon Kjær.

50. shakyArsene says:

Clockend I’m talking about the past 5 years…I’m talking about last season…I’m talking about selling more players than we bring in…What the hell are you talking about?

51. clockendrider says:

The still misnomered Forza,
    If that;’s the case, the game is up, let’s all pack up and go home, the end is nigh. I’ll get my sandwich board and join you on Oxford St .

52. London says:

Shaky

My idea of what supporting Arsenal is looking forward to the new season and hoping for success. I am a season ticket holder, I ask myself, what would be the point of having one if I didn’t dream that this year will be our year.

53. shakyArsene says:

I’m not saying we can’t become good, we have a great coach but he has to spend. He has to bring in men instead of boys. Our kids get overpowered in all parts of the field when we play the Mancs and the Chavs.

54. clockendrider says:

I’m trying to work out what the heck you are talking about with statements like “so your whole argument is based on a future that hasn’t happened yet”. Any hypothetical argument about what is going to happen in the seasons to come is based on ” a future that hasn’t happened yet2 isn’t it? Can you explain what this means because I am baffled.

55. London says:

Nothing wrong with wanting the club to strenghten the squad Shaky a perfectly understandable wish that any supporter should have.

56. shakyArsene says:

I’m not saying don’t believe London, all I’m saying is pepper it with a little bit of reality. I personally feel with the right 4-5 key players bought in we could do the league next year.

57. London says:

Good Wish BR

He was very impressive against Holland

58. shakyArsene says:

Clockend I was talking about the past 5 season and London was talking about the future to come. No worries simple mix up.

59. shakyArsene says:

Nice talking, I’m off. Laters.

Forza. 10 points off the title is not rose tinted. It is an improvement on the season before and that is what I want from our young team. Year on year improvement since the move to the Emirates.

Cesc is an Arsenal player. Full stop. Until the time comes when he goes home.

So who isn’t good enough?

The GK’s – no argument. We need a signing.

Denilson? Our 4th choice DM.

Theo? – Still a boy.

Eboue? See yesterdays post.

Nik? Check his scoring record.

This has nothing to do with rules that will not be coming in – it is to do with the long term success of our club.

61. clockendrider says:

Shaky,
    Let’s kiss and make up!

62. Icedre218 says:

If Gallas were to stay i dont think he would be a regular starter. Wenger has already pointed out that we let in too many goals, so why would be keep playing Gallas who would be a year older. New recruits are being lined up and Gallas will provide experienced back up like Sol did last season. I cant see both of them staying.

With regards to negative comments about Arsenal, i can understand a lot of it. It’s been far too long since we won anything. Spuds have won more trophies in the past 5 years and finally beat us in the league last season. If we want Arsenal to be the powerhouse we were before then changes need to be made. I just hope Wenger is actually going to make the right changes.

63. Icedre218 says:

@ Big Raddy
    Goal Keep no argument.

Denilson – Eastmond, JET, Lansbury and Ramsey are all better than him. He wouldnt get in the Villa side so he is not good enough for Arsenal. Id get rid.

Theo – needs to be playing as a forward. He is not a winger. Wenger bought him on the back of what he did at Southampton as a striker. Why put him on the wing where he is not effective. I think he would do well partnering RVP in a 4,4,2. RVP’s creativity and Walcotts pace. They could open up any defence.

Diaby – Good squad player. He didnt have a great World Cup but he was one of the better France players and there is only so much you can do when the players around you are piss poor. He started last season well then dropped. If he can keep his form he can be a quality member of the team.

Eboue – great squad player. Very positive. Not the best crosser and doesnt score much, but moves the ball forward quick. Good on the counter attack. Plus he has sweet dance moves.

Nik – Not a big fan, but he is still young. He did well at the end of last season when he was needed. But not sure how many games he will get now that Chamakh has arrived.

64. Bigsix says:

Thanx Big Raddy. True, Simon Kjaer can also be a gud catch. I am sure AW already hve few names to add to make us strong and challenging for the title.
    IN ARSENE WE TRUST

Icedre. Welcome toAA.

You make good points. Denilson is still young and has scored some important goals. I think he is under-rated. A squad player but as yo say we have many in his position. Yes – let him go

66. ros says:

i hope sol stays we get jcole and another holding midfielder vp stays fit we will be there at the end of season hopefully lifting the prem and i hope if fab does go wilshere could stay and put ramsey in there his quality

Denilson is by far the one player that fans have a divided opinion upon, quite fascinating the different points of view.Those for him, always refer to stats, those against always argue that stats,particularly in his case are meaningless.

me, i sit on the fence :)

68. rockylives says:

Do we really have to rehearse again the argument about why we have underachieved in the last five years (new stadium – no money) and why we are poised to leap forward in the next five years (stadium paid off, no major high-interest debt, plenty of money).
    I really struggle to see why the ‘glass half empty’ brigade can’t grasp this.
    It’s all there in dandan’s post folks – just read it carefully.

BBK would say sack the whole f****** lot of them.That is a doomer to perfection.

70. dandan says:

Morning all, you seem to have had a lively chat. For those of you who don’t understand the AW ethic this might help, magnificent article

rl,

quite right, just wait until one of the Pl clubs go under,and there is every chance that will happen sooner rather than later .

72. rockylives says:

The really surprising thing about the last five years is not that we’ve failed to win any silverware. It’s that we have stayed in the Champs League positions every year despite having no money and a team made up largely of kids. No other coach – certainly not Mourinho or Ferguson – could have achieved that. Wenger is a miracle worker whose skills in shepherding us through the biggest financial restructuring in the club’s history without dropping out of the CL will one day be recognised by all.

73. forza forza says:

The GK’s – no argument. We need a signing.

Denilson? Our 4th choice DM.

Theo? – Still a boy.lennon chosen over him for england

Diaby? Trusted to run the French national MF. Ok he had a poor tournament but he is only 24.that’s why they went out

Eboue? See yesterdays post.clown adds nothing to the football side of things

Nik? Check his scoring record.not good enough to fire a side to the title.

74. SharkeySure says:

Afternon All, nice debate this morning.

I never thought I had a problem with fans being negative, until recently. But to see Arse fans jumping onto every twisted little detail and using it to bash the club really pisses me off.

Alonso’s non transfer is a case in point. Surely our interest in Alonso came about because Pool were gonna buy Barry. Pool didn’t buy Barry, end of story surely, unless anyone really thinks that the Fa(c)t Man (!!) was gonna sell a CM without replacing him !!

One shit article about a shortfall of £1-£2m on ANR which was later corrected, seems to have completed fooled a fair few people.

And thats what I hate most, Arse fans spouting half truths, complete untruths and blatant lies about our club. Then they actually complain whne the mainstream media does exactly the same.

You really couldn’t make it up…

75. SharkeySure says:

Ps. (Yet another..)Great post DanDan!!

76. forza forza says:

“Yes we have players who aren’t good enough but not every signing/youth team player immediately becomes a star. I bet you were slagging off Song at the beginning of last season.”

to damn right i was im still slagging him off now,he’s not good enough,arsenal should take gala’s money and run.

Forza. In my opinion you are wrong. Song is a fine player and will become the Essien of his generation.

78. JOEL says:

Whilst I accept the sentiment with regard Joe Cole’s potential wages I would far rather see him playing for Arsenal on 100k per week than the combined services of Eduardo,Vela and Rosicky-who between them must be earning at least that sum,and undoubtedly more!
    In fact Arsenal’s wage bill is surprisingly high given the average age of the squad combined with the fact that they have not won a Trophy between them!!

79. SharkeySure says:

Forza – what can you NOT like about Song. He plays hard and rough, has physical power, great at retaining possession, very good passer of the ball.

A lotof people say he has no pace. I do not agree. For his position he shoud not be haring about the pitch, and in any case I have seen him out run a few in straight sprints, not least his lung busting sprint for Cameron the other night.

Most who saw that didn’t realise it was him, til he turned to jog back.

Everyone claimed Sol was slow as well until he matched Gareth Bale stride for stride.

Songs class end of story. If he ever starts shooting and scoring, then its all over.

80. SharkeySure says:

Typinsons is back…no corrections offered !!

81. London says:

That comment was too good to leave alone, it deserved to be polished.

82. clockendrider says:

Forza,
    “Arsenal shouyld take Gala’s money and run”.
    Fine,. And then fill the void with whom? Remember now the rules are:
    1. This is not Championship Manager and you can’t cheat and buy Essien for 30 bob and a bag of pork scratchings.
    2. We don’t have limitless funds so spending £30m on one player (still not enough for Essien anyway) is likely to be out.
    3. The player(s) you buy for this role needs to be better than Song.

The floor is yours….

83. London says:

Joel

That is not a bad idea……but do you really rate Joe Cole that highly?

84. irishgunner says:

Afternoon all.

Should be some cracking games today.

85. SharkeySure says:

Ps. Loving your work today ClockEndRider….grab a Big Issue for me n’all if yer getting yerself one. Lol

86. SharkeySure says:

London, I wouldn;t be SharkeySure if I didn;t have my typos !!

87. London says:

Typinsons rule Sharkey

88. irishgunner says:

I like how this ref is dealing with all the play acting – dish out the yellow cards.

89. dandan says:

Magic Ref, booked one for diving and one for showing him an imaginary card, lets hope all the refs do it from now on out

90. irishgunner says:

Portuguese or Brazilian to get sent off first?

Pepe or Melo? :lol: (both technically Brazilian so I might say Brazilian ;) )

91. dandan says:

Real irish bet that one lol

92. irishgunner says:

Ha ha Dandan :D

Melo gone off – good call by Dunga. Poor enough game but the tackles are flying in, the ref is very dramatic when giving out yellow cards and Ronaldo is playing for team Ronaldo as usual.

93. SharkeySure says:

He took Melo off uninjured before the half was over..??

94. dandan says:

Think Melo would be a liability in the PL he would be constantly banned if he played like that on a regular basis

95. irishgunner says:

Sharkey – he probably should have been sent off. Was flying into stupid tackles. The Brazilians have singled out Pepe for some roughing up.

Dandan – he’s over-rated anyway. He’s not an ounce better than Denilson. Getting yellow cards doesn’t make one a better DM.

96. SharkeySure says:

Cheers DD IG

Is Denilson the standard?

I have enjoyed Ronaldo’s performance. He is really trying and giving us his full box of tricks – which is more than can be said for an ordinary performance from Brazil

Selfish undoubtedly but a fantastic player.

99. irishgunner says:

Don’t know how that came across in what I wrote Raddy. All over Arsenal blogland fans have wanted Melo to sign (for about a year) and I personally see him as no better than Denilson hence the comparison – thought that was a given.

100. irishgunner says:

“Selfish undoubtedly but a fantastic player.” – Yup. Just think he has been far too greedy at times today though. Second half no-one has really been up to support him when he broke. Both seem happy with the draw.

Brazil were there for the taking. The draw will cost Portugal and deservedly so. Playing with a lone striker who had hardly any support was poor.

Bring on Spain v Chile. That should be entertaining

102. irishgunner says:

I’m looking forward to that – should be good.

I’m debating whether to get Arsenal/Gunners done with my tattoo – does writing under/over the cannon look nice or naff?

depends where your cannon is :)

104. irishgunner says:

8O

LOL lets just say I WILL be able to post pictures when its done.

Irish. Tattoos are so personal.

Don’t listen to anyone and just go with what you feel

My suggestion is the same as with everything ……. if you are unsure – don’t

Papers linking us with Ryan Babel (again). I think AW could make a decent player out if him, but he has decided to sign Chamakh,

107. irishgunner says:

Too true Raddy.

I’m definitely getting it done – just the cannon (the old one, the proper one facing the proper way) in grey. Just unsure whether I want the writing.

I’m going to see what the pain is like, if its okay I’m designing a more elaborate tribute one (well my sister is she’s the artist) for Maldini.

108. forza forza says:

Big Raddy says:
    June 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm

now that is one deluded comment.

109. forza forza says:

he’s to thick to become a great player,why did he not get much game time in the w.c if he’s that good.

110. irishgunner says:

He’s injured Forza that’s why.

111. andy says:

I think Song is far from the finished article but cant doubt the fact that he continually improves and this must count for something. I believe that the young lads in our squad over the past 4-5 seasons have performed admirably with very little guidence from older more experienced players and have therefore been prone to errors of judgement. Song is one IMO who has learnt from those mistakes and as I said before improves season by season. Some unfortunately dont and seem to have shown themselves as being not quite good enough to make it at this level… Not as first choice anyway.

Forza. Delusion is my forte´, What is your excuse for such remarkable negativity?

Is there anything about supporting the Arsenal that gives you joy? Or is it just that you are too “cool” to be positive about the future?

One thing that is in your favour – if you believe that life is going to serve you a shit sandwich, you will invariably be right…… As a far cleverer man than I said, “whether you think you can or you can’t, you are usually right”. ( H.Ford)

And Song is already the third best DM in the PL (Essien and Mascherano) and is still only a nipper.

andy,

not only that but he is the last player that I can remember who was loaned out (Charlton I think) who came back a much improved player,and is a regular on the team sheet.As said before he is still very young and if his improvement continues he will become a valuable asset.I wish gilberto had been with us for another season,as a guiding hand.he hasn’t done bad this season at all, a double winner in greece and still an integral part of the brazil team.

On an England note.

Ozil will hopefully play down the right allowing Ashley to mark him out the game. God forbid he switches wings like he has been – he will tear Johnson a new one!

Kelsey. Once again we are in agreement. AW sold Silva too early.

116. andy says:

So true Kelsey. Unfortunately one of the things that does make me question the sense of logic at the club and bring out my own personal negativity (only a little bit). The single greatest mistake IMO is this stupid philosophy that you cant do a job after 30

117. dandan says:

BR. Its the Forza’s of this world.That my original post today was all about, I rest my case.

Raddy,

that’s what worries me with Campbell and /or Gallas. With campbell you will get everything desired in a player but age is against him, and one can only expect a certain amount of games.With gallas, one would get nearly a full season, injury permitting,but i think in both cases their wage demands are too high, and wenger is a stickler on the over 30 rule(when he wants to be)
    Djorou is at best a back up, and surely if we get the much needed cover that is being touted about,we would still be a bit thin defensively, and wenger has publically stated that.This will be interesting and should all unfold in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

119. andy says:

I would be disapointed to see Campbell go again as he has shown what a difference belief can make and even if he only played a dozen or so games his influence could still make a difference to the morale of the squad. However from what has been said about Gallas he doesnt inspire or lift others. keep Sol let Gallas go and sulk elsewhere

120. Hi guys, theres been so much great blogging while I’ve been slaving in the heat – anyone got a post for tomorrow?

121. Great comment andy – agree 100% – both great players but we saw what Sol brought to the squad in just a few weeks and that must be worth something to the team. One would hope so anyway …………

122. forza forza – why do you think Song is thick? He may have taken a while to grow into his role but thats because he’s still young. The Cameroon squad had a rebellion because Alex Song wasn’t being played – I’ll see if I can find the article.

123. dandan says:

Can anyone write a review on the number of GK errors in this world cup, is it the ball or just bad keeping

124. London says:

It seems like we all agree that either Gallas or Campbell will stay but not both. With the signing of Koscielny I expect he and Djourou to vie for the slot along side Vermaelen which means that whoever stays, out of Gallas or Campbell, will almost certainly have to spend long periods of time on the bench. Who, if any, will accept that role more readily than the other?

125. andy says:

Good point London. I think WG wouldn’t be happy to be 3rd choice but then again when is he happy ? I’m pretty sure he’s gone now anyway, to me it’s just a case of Arsene making Sol feel valued and give the guy a good deal. If he captains the cup sides and plays 10-12 prem games he’d be worth it. Imagine what guys like Bartley would get from playing alongside SC ?

126. andy says:

By the way, is Silvestre still a gooner ?

127. andy says:

Why is it that we have to have a different ball for wcs. Is it that different leagues around the world use different balls so therefore a new ball evens things up or is it purely merchandising ?

128. charybdis1966 says:

Unlucky Chile, a stupid red card given for an accidental trip after a fluke goal from Villa.

Oh well, let’s hope Greasiano and pals dump Spain out in the next round.

129. London says:

Andy

As far as the back line goes it is still a great mystery who is and who isn’t still with us.

130. London says:

It does seem as though Gallas has got the idea of moving set in his mind.

131. charybdis1966 says:

Reply to hacks from Wenger today: “Cesc is not for sale, no matter what Barcelona offer.

132. andy says:

I know what you mean London. I’ve got visions of approaching August with only TV and the new bloke with JD and MS as backup.

Andy. Re the ball.

As I understand it, it is all about money (as usual). The PL ball is Nike and the WC ball Adidas.

Morning all.

Contrary to some, I admire watching good players,regardless of who they play for,so I thought i would make this comment.

I have watched Torres in all spain’s matches.He is clearly not fit, looks totally unhappy and why did he start last night, especially against one of the most physical teams in the competition.

Is it a David and Goliath syndrome.Have haircut and lose one’s strength.I always wanted him to come to us, and 6 months ago he was one of the top 3 strikers in the World. Spain had to win yesterday, and yet he might as well have not played.Strange that he did.

135. andy says:

Thanks BR. I thought it would be more about money than football. Sad that they have to experiment at these tournaments.

Kelsey, It seems all teams have one player who will start regardless of whether he is fit or not. I always thought he was a bit lightweight, not sure the EPL is the place for him to be honest.

That’s true about the CB’s but at some time we will have to throw Nordtvelt(?) and Bartley into the mixer.

Let’s assume they play 6-10 games between them, it could be enough.

David & Goliath. Great observation Kelsey!

I have the same problem ;-)

Last night we saw another superb cameo from Cesc. He looked hungry and full of creation – but for a rare mis-kick he may well have scored.

This is the dream situation for us. He will get pissed off being Xavi/Iniesta’s replacement and see how it would be a Barca. And he gets pitch time without too much playing time, all being well Fab will return to pre-season bouyed and fresh.

Agree Raddy.

he is a class player, mind you I wouldn’t mind one or two of those Chile defenders in our team to spice thing up, though I doubt they would last the full 90 minutes, as they really play near the dege.

So the least amount of european teams left at this stage for 34 years.Is it the altitude, the ball or is the gap in World Football getting smaller.

If the african nations were honest with themselves they have been a let down.pele said an African nation would win the WC by 2010.

Does anyone agree with me, that we should focus away from french and french speaking players at our club.They appear to be more of a headache than anything else.Bring in some eastern europeans, a couple of S.Americans and an odd German, and Honda ;)

141. andy says:

an australian, 2 brits and a brazilian would do me

is that men or women, andy ;)

143. andy says:

haha good point. Not sure the wife would allow it.

Morning all,

In the absence of any submissions, I have written a post for ths morning.

andy, you are a blogger right in the ‘AA mould’ have you considered putting fingers to keyboard and expanding some of your excellent comments into a post?

145. andy says:

or that i’d have the energy for that matter. haha

we don’t need a new post rasp, this is going great ;)

kelsey,

I’m sure the comments will keep coming on a new post! or are you saying I’ve wasted my time? ;)

We have attracted some excellent bloggers to the site and that has been achieved by producing consistently high quality articles which is the main aim of AA don’t you think?

I am only joking rasp, (which is a rarity in itself ) :) chill.

I tell you this much rasp,

even if i am repeating myself.

70% of arsenal blogs originate from abroad.

Arsenal have more sites than any other club.

Some hardly ever get a comment and lay dormant for months.

Quality posts, mainly quality comments and a bit of a chill is a perfect combination.

Congratulkations to you and peaches for starting the ball rolling.

Other sites are now copying our format, which is a form of flattery,don’t you think :)

Hi kelsey,

No offence taken :P Actually the extent to which we have influenced oher sites is quite astounding. I shan’t list the instances for fear of upsetting others, but it does make me smile when I see our style/ideas reproduced elsewhere.

Saturday has become a slow day for comments and Rasps post is too good to just sit here without much attention so we’ll save it for another day.

152. andy says:

thanks Rasp. I tend to write under the influence of a bottle or two of red so maybe do one later…. peaches tends to do my editing and tidying-up haha

…. addendum ….. starting the ball rolling was the easy part….. keeping it rolling is the challenge!

Stooopid me andy, I’d forgotten you’ve already written for us … and I’m the one who put you in the list of authors widget and did the editing :oops: – put it down to the pressure of work!

155. andy says:

No worries Rasp. Its a great site by the way, nice to be able to express views without feeling patronised and made to feel like a fake fan for not watching every game and knowing everything there is to know about the club.

156. London says:

Both Saturday and Sunday are slow for comments, I assume the reason being that the people who work on a computer in an office all week are reluctant to spend more time on a computer over the week-end.

Monday is a good day for a quality post. I would like to contribute more but for the life of me I cannot think of anything to write about.

Moaning about Arsenal everyday is easy but being constructive….well, that takes a better writer than me.