Eboue: The Tears of a Clown

I have to admit that I find Eboue difficult. Everyone can admire the way he has turned the Arsenal faithful and become an icon at the Emirates. He has more songs than any other player, which is astonishing considering we have had the genius of Fabregas. When we first sang “You have only come to see Eboue”, it was ironic, that is no longer the case. He has gone from leaving the pitch in a flood of tears to being our touchstone.

Eboue is admirable in so many ways. A family man, a religious man and a happy man. The team joker, the dressing room darling. He has shown that with dedication, hard work and non-stop action, it is possible to resurrect a career. But, and here is the rub, he has that other side which we all find so frustrating. Eboue is our Steven Gerrard – our own Greg Louganis . the man could have won an Oscar for some of his acting over the past few seasons. It is embarassing and is not the Arsenal Way. However, my purpose is to look at Eboue as a footballer and what he brings to the team.

EE has been at Arsenal for 6 years, played close to 200 games but has yet to establish himself. A natural Right back, he has developed his game to become a general dogsbody, capable of filling any role apart from GK, and he could well be a better GK than what we have! He has pace and can beat a man at will. He is our best right sided crosser which will be important given the arrival of Chamakh. The man appears to be the perfect squad member; capable of covering a multitude of positions, and in particular be back-up to Sagna.

In my opinion, our season fell apart because our squad wasn’t good enough. Our first team have qualities that could well win the PL. but with the unfortunate run of injuries, players who are on the periphery of the team got the opportunity to shine. The rest is history. It became clear that our squad is not strong enough, incapable of competing with the likes of Blackburn and the Spuds, and Eboue, the most experienced of this bunch (sans Sol) did nothing to indicate he is worth a first team slot.

It is strange that we have yet to develop an outstanding youth right back. We are blessed on the left with 3 fantastic players, but rely upon Eboue should anything happen to Sagna.

Wenger had concerns about Eboue otherwise he wouldn’t have signed Sagna, yet there is a feeling around THOF that EE should start ahead of Sagna, primarily because he brings extra potency to the attack, but I believe when Walcott is playing, Sagna is the better bet – he is more disciplined in his positional play and is a far better defender.

The media is full of rumour that Barca are interested in signing Eboue. Can you really believe it?

The Ivory Coast played him in an advanced position in the World Cup and he was close to anonymous – tried hard, went on mazy runs, but had no cutting edge.

I believe Eboue has a place at Arsenal, purely as back up RB. He has no end product, runs into blind alleys and panics the moment he gets in the penalty area. That he gives everything for the shirt is not in doubt and his arrival as sub certainly raises the energy level of the team.

My ambivalence stems from my concerns that he just isn’t good enough for the Arsenal. Good player, yes, but good enough…. No.

102 Responses to Eboue: The Tears of a Clown

1. O_O says:

Lets buy the Greek Keeper.

Eboue has a tranche of fans who will defend him based upon ….. well, I don’t know what.

If we are to step up to the level created by the Chavs, we must have strength in depth. Compare the subs bench of us and the Chavs.

Starting upfront – we compete. Nik, Dudu, Theo are as good as Kalou etc.

MF. Obi Mikel is a bench player when Essien is fit! The Chavs are so strong in this area that they can afford to dispose of Cole and Ballack!

Defence. – Any of their back-ups would be first team for us (almost!). Carvalho or Alex. Ivanovic, Ferreira etc.

3. dandan says:

Good Article and a nice read Raddy will give it some thought before posting.

Rasp re your last question on yesterdays post. I see another defender coming in providing Campbell does leave.
    A defensive midfielder is not beyond the bounds either.

4. SharkeySure says:

Another good read Raddy.

Eboue’s highlight reels would have him up there with Ronaldinho, for technique and skills. The only thing missing would be the end product of goals and assists, without which, you’re really not left with much.

So yeah it’s a bit of a mystery why he doesn’t affect games much much more than he does.

Morning all..

5. dandan says:

Rasp have put one in drafts…..It is not aimed at you well maybe a little bit is LOL

6. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, in respect of the question posed by Radders, in an ideal world perhaps EE is not of the class required, but putting my pragmatic hat on(if there is such at thing) I feel there are other positions in the squad filed by far more undeserving players.
    Specifically, I believe Denilson, Fabianski and possibly Diaby offer less to the team and should be jettisoned before our Pass master.
    I would be a happy man if those three left us, as I almost get annoyed when I hear their names in the starting line up.
    At the risk of repeating myself I would also off load Vela and Eduardo so they can prosper in les physical leagues as for differing reasons the Premier League is not for them.

7. charybdis1966 says:

Additionally, typically reasoned and informed read there Radders, you are a calm measured chap !

I feel EE could become a cult hero, if he isn’t already.

8. dandan says:

Raddy it is hard to argue with much of your logic, though I do think EE is a great asset when he plays with Woolcott. He can almost keep up on the break, also he is often the only one prepared to run at defences it is just the final ball, but how many can we say that about

9. craig says:

We love Eboue,when Flamini was DM and he was on the RM,we were rock solid in midfield, almost won the league. Leave him alone!

Thanks Craig. You make a good point. But EE is no Flamini.

I agree EE combines well with Theo.

11. carlos says:

He’s a good player mate…leave him alone

12. gnarleygeorge9 says:

The reason why Greece hasn’t won the WC Cup is coz everytime they get a corner, they put a fish & chip shop on it :)

13. SD-London says:

Raddy, of all things to talk about this morning , you decided to write about Eboue.WAO Dude

14. gnarleygeorge9 says:

BR

I think you are bang on about EE. But if he wants to stay as the role he already plays @, as you say it, THOF, The Arsenal should keep him for depth in the squad.

15. omar says:

eboue gives 110 percent in every match he plays, and i think against the defensive teams at home hees a much better option at right back than sagna so i definately think hees gonna be an arsenal player for a few more seasons!

16. gnarleygeorge9 says:

BR

Carlsberg slab $40, with a footy. WC special. I’m loving them :P

17. gnarleygeorge9 says:

About time we got something back from Denmark for giving you Mary :lol:

18. DutchGunner says:

Eboue has the spirit other players lack. So, I believe in the current squad he sure is good enough! If only it was for his cross to RvP when RvP scored that legendary flying volley from outside the penalty area against charlton ath. A great run from Eboue with admirable determination and a great pass, followed by RvP’s excellent volley.

DutchG.

You point out one instance. I could give you many, many more when EE has failed to deliver an accurate final ball.

I accept he is a decent squad player. My point is that he is not, and never will be, good enough for a starting position

GG. Check out my message to you on yesterdays post 8.32.

And thank you for Mary. She is a doll…..

21. gnarleygeorge9 says:

No wuz BR I will :)

22. gnarleygeorge9 says:

There was no 8.32 post yesterday BR ;)

23. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Ok I see it now BR. Boon, I know Boony :)

Dumped out of the WC? @ least when we got dumped out of the WC, we won. England will go out by losing Ha! Ha! Now think about it BR.

As for the game you love to mention that isn’t footie. Hilfy is back & Siddle. Fresh, fit, feeling fine ready for 5 day stuff. Ooooohhhhh!!!! the Urn wil be home by February :cool:

24. SharkeySure says:

Off topic – Wayne Rooney 2004:

“‘Foolish as it now seems, I did on occasions visit massage parlours and prostitutes. It was at a time when I was very young and immature and before I had settled down with Coleen. I now regret it deeply and hope people may understand it was the sort of mistake you make when you are young and stupid.’

Rooney reportedly had sex with a 48-year-old grandmother in a rubber catsuit and a mother-of-six dressed as a cowgirl.

The 18-year-old England striker is said to have brazenly signed autographs for other punters at the vice den while waiting his turn.

During one visit, other punters spread the word that the Everton player was there by text message. Within minutes, 30 fans were gathered outside, chanting his name.

25. London says:

When it comes to assessing everybody’s best new friend Emmanuel Eboue it has to be said, as indeed it does above that he has improved enormously. The result being that the once much maligned Ivorian has become the darling of large pockets of Arsenal supporters and amazingly, if you take into account the size of the sea change, it is still not beyond the realms of possibility that he could take yet another step up and be respected by all sections of Arsenal supporters……… although, for that to happen, my guess would be that he will have to add the most important and yet the most illusive component to any footballer’s game — end product.

Good luck Eboue, you have a lot of people wishing you success with that quest.

A well balanced assessment BR.

26. London says:

SD-London

I have a polite question: you write above “Of all the things you could have written about today Raddy”

What other things? I am curious to know what your suggestions would have been?

27. gunner17 says:

eboue has suffered because he has been played in every position but the one he prefers.

he’s a bloody right-back, pure and simple. not a right winger, not a left winger, not a defensive central midfielder, not an attacking central midfielder, not the right sided attacker in a front bloody three. he’s a fucking right-back but wenger hardly ever lets him play there.

we play sagna too much. wenger should trust eboue as a right back and rest sagna more. eboue is actualy better at one on one defending against the top top wingers than sagna. sagna can get bullied by people like rooney whereas eboue doesn’t let that happen so much.

play him as a right back wenger. simple.

28. Davi says:

This article is insane. Eboue was BETTER than sagna this year when played at RB. And he was BETTER than walcott when played on the wing. Im not saying he was perfect or that he played well in every game, but he did in the majority of them. He was also our best/most dangerous player in a few games.
    I could understand you writing an article like this 2 or 3 year ago, but now its completely unfair. The two players who this season played consistently below the expected level for arsenal are denilson and walcott. Clichy had an awful start to the season but showed in the end that he still has what it takes. Everyone else, who had a decent run of games at least, did their jobs pretty well. Eboue had a very good season.

29. Davi says:

Dont forget as well he is our most effective dribbler. Who else can glide past defenders like that? Fair enough players like nasri *might be more skillful, but eboue is the most difficult to stop 1-on-1.

30. gunner17 says:

he is a killer dribbler when in the mood…and he can really whip in a sweet cross…remember henry’s header against man u? i think that’s maybe why wenger played him further forward…to get these skills out of him for the team…

but i think even these skills he has work better when he’s running forward from right back…maybe when he plays out from the back he feels less pressure to produce a perfect final ball?

there’s few finer sights than seeing eboue marauding forward from right-back, tricking past a couple players and whipping in a sweet bullet cross.

hopefully bendter, chamakh and rvp being available will encourage wenger to get eboue to whip in more crosses.

31. gunner17 says:

he’s taller and stronger than many of our players too…makes for a useful alternative to sagna.

Hi Davi,

Thanks for putting the opposing view so intelligently. I was at the game when EE was booed off (I didn’t boo!!) and it was a farcical situation as he was being played completely out of position and following a couple of weak performances in previous games. Getting himself sent off against totnum was also not endearing, but he has grown on me this last year and like you, I am impressed by his directness getting into the box.

As Raddy says, if only he had an end product, be it a killer pass or decent shot on target. As it stands, he is certainly not the weakest member of the first team squad.

33. London says:

What still hasn’t been acknowledged in that fateful day against Wigan is that much of the booing was not aimed at Eboue when he came off…….it was aimed at Wenger for playing him on the left wing. I was apoplectic and I still think the idea was ridiculous. I think Wenger played Song at right back on that day as well. Your lowest ebb Arsene.

34. SharkeySure says:

Thats a really tough one to call though London – how can anyone tell with any real certainty..??

Agree with the comments re EE in full flight…glorious sight !!

35. London says:

I’m not certain Sharkey, but I was there and I know that many of the people around me were very angry with Wenger…..I certainly was and they don’t come too much more loyal than me.

Good point London, I was more angry with Arsene I must admit, but Eboue must have felt it was directed at him.

37. gunner17 says:

and no goal scored ever brings more cheer than a goal scored by emmanuel eboue.

38. gunner17 says:

question: will the premier league be forced to use the Jabulani beachball in all its games next season? or does that not happen?

39. gunner17 says:

eboue against port! what a run!

Gunner17& Davi

I don’t think you get the point of the post. I am not saying I don’t like Eboue, just that he is not good enough for a first team place which is the subject for discussion

Yes you can say that EE has improved.
    Yes you can say that he is a natural RB- but as I pointed out he was played RM by Cote d’Ivoire.
    Yes you can say that he can cross a ball, but 4 decent crosses a season does not make a first team RB.
    Yes he can dribble, but not as well as Diaby, Arshavin, Nasri or Cesc.

If EE was the answer to the RB slot, why did AW sign Sagna and play him ahead of EE ever since? Or are you a better judge of a player than AW?

G17. Taking individual examples is no basis for judging the player. Diaby scored some screamers for us an 6 out of 7 of his goals scored were from outside the area.

The Nasri/Diaby combination was superb at home to Porto, but since…??

42. gunner17 says:

i don’t think he’s consistent enough to be first choice right back…sagna definitely has the edge over him in terms of consistency. eboue should definitely be second choice right back. but he should be used at right back. and he is good enough to get 15-20 starts a season there. he’s easily worthy of being in the squad.

Hi Raddy,

Good post that brings us back to domestic affairs and the reality of the current squad. I agree with the conclusion that EE has one or two flaws in his game that mean he should not be considered as first choice for RM, but he can be a very effective impact sub.

Interesting post about lionel, Raddy.

Firstly having not had the privalage of seeing him in the flesh, I can only make an assessment on what i have seen on TV.

Firstly, he has always been a diver or cheat at nearly every opportunity, though he has cleaned that part of his game up considerably.
    many argue that his only rightful position is at right back, but as with so many other players his tendency is to gallop forward.His positioning sense is good, and if only he could shoot,he most probably could be an attacking midfielder or winger.
    Crossing the ball is not one of his consistent strong points, but one could argue that is the case with others in the side.

I often feel that he is a joke rather than the joker in the pack, and he amuses the crowd by his antics rather than his play.

That as a person he is liked by many,is a plus, but doesn’t answer the question if he should be an automatic choice in the team.

As you can see, i am covering all angles on him,and to sum up I would say he is a good squad player to have around.

I agree Kelsey/Davi/Rasp. A good back up RB -probably as good a reserve RB as there is in the PL (Ferreira?).

46. London says:

“The vuvuzelas are to the ears what France are to the eyes” (Mario Kempes ex footballer)

A bit late but still clever.

47. gunner17 says:

better crosser than sagna too…sagna is all about keeping the ball on the ground. eboue is not afraid to belt the thing in like hell, consequences be damned!

G17. If you had to choose between Sagna & Eboue at RB – with our normal 4-3-3 (AA, RVP, Chamakh) – who would you go with? Be honest!!

49. Biggy says:

I like Eboue because when he plays, he pushes the team forward. We are then not squashed behind the half way line passing in front of the opposing team. It is like the weight of losing the ball in a dangerous area is lifted. I also believe that your ascertion about the need for more backup is on the money.

Biggy. Ggod point and I guess that is why AW uses EE as an impact sub.

51. charybdis1966 says:

Anyone else rooting for the Slovakians? I am, can’t stand that team of diving mummy’s boys, the eyeties.

Me too Chary.

I am going to Italy for hols next week, and last WC was awful. They give it the big one in a most offensive manner!

53. gunner17 says:

i will be honest. sagna just doesn’t ‘do it’ for me. he’s consistenly reliable and all, solid defensively if not really noteworthy offensively, but where’s the nervous energy when he’s on the ball? where’s the sense of adventure? where’s the fun? where’s the personality?

54. SharkeySure says:

Fair do’s London re 1.37.

Great quote from Kempes as well. I guess its my age that makes me bristle at seeing you having to clarify who Kempes was. Grrrrr

He was one of my first real overseas football superstars, and later in life I would meet Argentiniann fans at WC98 (lovely people), and also visit their country as part of my honeymoon.

I guess I’m a real Argentophile these days….

I even got lucky and got them in the office sweepstake for this WC.

G17. OK. We disagree.because someone in our defence has to be responsible and lack a sense of adventure :-)

I agree totally about the personality, something that is lacking throughout the team (apart from EE,NB and AA)

SS. If England beat Germany they may well get Argentina (should they beat Mexico), then you can wave your money goodbye

57. SharkeySure says:

G17 – “but where’s the nervous energy when he’s on the ball? where’s the sense of adventure? where’s the fun? where’s the personality?”

Thats such a funny way to describe ‘something’. Funny thing is that I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Its almost like EEs got an X-factor that cannot be clarified succinctly.

58. gunner17 says:

vermaelen smoulders personality. all men want to be TV5.
    song and fabregas too. have personality i mean.
    rvp definitely has it, 100%.

if you ask me who really lacks personality i’d say fabianski, sagna, denilson, diaby, rosicky, vela and eduardo. though maybe some of that can be excused, for lack of appearances, or injuries.

clichy has it too, when he’s not hobbled by injury.

59. gunner17 says:

Thanks Sharkey

60. gunner17 says:

they should release a fragrance called ‘TV5′

be honest, you’d think about buying it wouldn’t you?

you’d take a sniff at least.

61. SharkeySure says:

A bit early to be pissed Raddy….??

62. dandan says:

Sharkey. Buenos Aires one of my fav. cities magnificent cathedral

He He HE Aussies 77 for 3

63. SharkeySure says:

G17, I’d order it by the gallon, and bathe in the stuff !!

64. London says:

Yipee, I have found something I disagree on. If we were playing Chavs, mancs or barça for example I would start with Sagna (better in defence) but against Wolves, Blackpool and Liverpool (teams we expect to thrash) I would start with Eboue (better attacking options)

65. SharkeySure says:

Dandan…I down even try and narrow things down when I talk/think about BA, I just love everything there.

Even dragged my new bride to a footie match at the River Plate stadium….

River vs Ferro doubled for Arg and Holland as I relived the 78 final in my own mind that afternoon.

SS. Never too early for those of us who inhabit the Scandilands !

G17. I forgot TV. RvP maybe.

Never been to S. America. Sounds as though I should start saving.

Italy hahaha . Keep it going Slovakia – who are by far the better team

67. dandan says:

Can remember sitting on the cathedral steps looking across at the balcony that Eva Peron made famous, while a lovely old man squashed fresh oranges for us on the most antique equipment I have ever seen.
    Then across to the cemetery where another Man took me to see her tomb all the while carrying a portable radio because were playing each other at football, we won 3.2. He got a good tip LOL

68. dandan says:

BR you must it is a most lovely part of the world, go down to Ushuaia in Patagonia. Known as the end of the world the most southerly city in South America and watch the Andes pour down into the sea stunning. Ah memories

69. charybdis1966 says:

I see Howard(The Coward) Webb is giving his usual abysmal refereeing display, booking players from the smaller team and not giving out a 2nd yellow to the bigger team’s skipper when he should really have got his marching orders.
    I hate Webb.

70. SharkeySure says:

If you insist then DanDan…..

Yep that cathedral right on the Plaza de Mayo, in front of Casa Rosada (Pink Palace).

Our hotel was only 5mins from there and we basicaly passed that way every day regardless of where we were going.

Behind the palace is Puerto Madero the restaurant strip, loved the La Boca district and the stadium, the Japanese garden, etc etc etc. Just loved wandering around BA really…..

Never went too far south but did get to Iguassu Falls (see Google Images) and stayed a couple of nights there.

Argentina …..Bliss !!!

Got too many kids now to go back !!!

71. SharkeySure says:

Not watching it Chary, but I know what you mean. It really grates with me when I see refs blatantly favouring certain teams or players.

FIFA seem to sanction or support it though, in fact they are even worse. How can David Villa slap someone in the face and not get a posthumous (lol) red card.

72. dandan says:

LOL They will be offhand some day Sharkey, never say never my friend

73. charybdis1966 says:

I reckon Webb thinks he’s some kind of latter day Pierluigi Collina, with his shaved, sweaty pate, S Sure.
    Just ‘cos you’re bald like one of the best refs ever doesn’t mean to say you’ll con anyone into thinking you are Webb, you mug.

2-0 Slovakia and well deserved!

75. SharkeySure says:

DanDan…I’m 43, have four children and my youngest is 3 in Sept !!!

I’ll not be back in BA anytime soon !!

Viva Italia ;-)

76. SharkeySure says:

Oh and DanDan….offhand you say…??

Wasn’t it you driving 50 miles to babysit the other day..??

77. charybdis1966 says:

Ha Ha you miserable Eyeties ! Ciao, you’re world cup is over, 2-0 Slovakia.

78. charybdis1966 says:

More like “Vauxhall Viva Italia” S Sure.

79. SharkeySure says:

I hear ya Chary, Lol….although lets leave the lovely bottle of Schadenfreude chilling a little bit longer !!

2-1

80. charybdis1966 says:

True S Sure – surely the Slovaks can’t botch it up now?

Fantastic finish to this game. 2-1 Sloavks and Italy just hscored an offside goal.

Slovaks on the ropes ….

82. dandan says:

Indeed Sharkey and have just taken a call from another son to ask if we will have a 3 yr old over Sat night.
    You cant win, we are sneaking off to a villa in Spain in a couple of months for 6 weeks and guess what, three lots of kids and grand kids are following each other out.

3-1. What a finish.

DD. You wouldn’t have it any other way.

85. charybdis1966 says:

Get in there 3-1 !! LOL at the Eyeties !!

3-2 !

87. dandan says:

Unfortunately you are not wrong Raddy. But hopefully I will be able to sneak off and meet Kelsey as well, while we are there

You are a lucky man DD.

What a last 30 mins that was. Italy could and should have got the draw. Great stuff.

I am going to the World famous Tivoli Gardens to watch onights game on the big screen. Should be great

Kom sa Danmark!

90. SharkeySure says:

I sneaked up stairs at work to wtach the last 4mins, by the time I get up there it’s 3-1, then 3-2, then Pepe’s miss !!

Most excitement I’ve had all day !

91. dandan says:

Typical, took a break from football, knew it was a forgone conclusion. so watched the cricket and missed the best game so far. Sods law strikes again

92. irishgunner says:

Well seems like there is no-one about…

The footy is just getting exciting WOOHOO.

And come on, we all only come to see Eboue ;)

93. irishgunner says:

From elsewhere:

“World Cup/World War II comparisons: French quickly surrender, Yanks enter the battle late and the English are left to fight the Germans! Japan may yet even launch a surprise attack”

That Honda sure has an engine ;) sorry Raddy, but your boys were beaten by a better team on the night, and I won’t mention Sorensen.

95. [...] Eboue: The Tears of a Clown I have to admit that I find Eboue difficult. Everyone can admire the way he has turned the Arsenal faithful and become [...] [...]

Well, that was disappointing, but I still have Holland, England & Spain to support. And it was great to see Junichi Inamoto get a game.

I loved it when he played for us, but I think fitness was a problem – he looked 10 kg overweight – and the fact he was a superstar at home which went to his head.

97. Morning Raddy – the Tivoli Gardens must have been a sad place to be last night :( but as you say being an International supporter has its upside – England, Spain and Holland still to come :lol:

I was just doing some research on an aquaintance and came across this article from 2006

pot – kettle – black springs to mind

Peaches. You know Roman?

That article should be circulated!

Apparently Song is injured and there was a doubt the day before and confirmed in the warm up prior to the match last night.Nic is also carrying a groin injury,that’s why he missed training.Hopefully they both can have a few weeks off.

The Cesc stories just don’t go away,if anything hey are increasing with alleged comments from him.I have come to the conclusion is that in his head he is off and Wenger knows it, the only stumbling block is the price.

The europeans are not generally performing well and at this moment the South Americans seem to have the edge, so tonight’s game with Spain v Chile should be interesting.

New post …..

101. London says:

Tonight’s game should be really good both teams only know one way to play and that is going forward very fast.

The Cesc stories of will he stay or will he go will never go away today’s offering are coming from the UK where there is so little news so the Cesc stories are being regurgitated although I note there isn’t a single word about him in Spain……they have turned their attention to the German Memet Odzil

102. Sorry but Eboue does not belong among the ranks of the football superstars. He’s decent but that’s about it.