It was 40 years ago today …..

It was 40 years ago today Arsenal won their first European trophy, a 4-3 victory over Anderlecht of Belgium. A few of our fellow bloggers were there that famous night and I would like to describe the evening for those who couldn’t attend.

At the time I was a fresh faced, long-haired lad, fully loaded with Arsenal fanaticism following a decade of dire football. I arrived at the ground at least 3 hours prior to kick-off having taken the trusty 210 bus to Finsbury Park. The walk down St Thomas Rd was, as always, a slow meander past the death-burger stalls, the guys selling rosettes, scarves and rattles, and the paper salesmen. The early evening air resonated to shouts of “Wear your colours” and “Matchday Programmes”. The aroma of dung from the police horses mingled with smell of hotdogs, beer and cigarettes. The Highbury area was packed with expectant, excited fans. I bought my programme from the Arsenal Supporters Club stall (very lucky), and then went into the sweet shop under the North Bank to buy a bag of lucky Everton Mints before joining the immense queue to get in the ground. I took my place midway up the North Bank as central as possible. And waited in one of the noisiest crowds I had ever experienced.

It was a typical early Spring English evening. My recollection is that there had been much rain that week and the pitch was heavy. As darkness fell the ground was illuminated by the cold glare of the spotlights, and the fog from 30,000 cigarettes lay a few feet above the players. In those days almost everyone smoked and the pall is one of my outstanding memories of those evening games at Highbury.

Over 51,000 packed into Highbury, which should be compared to the attendance limit of 39,000 when we left our wonderful old stadium. The ground was humming. The marching band came out to “entertain” the fans, some fat chap sang a couple of songs. The team came out to warm up in front of the North Bank. We chanted and the players responded with a wave and a smile. All 12 players had their own chants from Scotland’s Number One  to Big John Radford, all were sung with equal gusto, though the North Bank darling was of course Charlie George – one of our own.

We started with 7 English and 4 Scottish players and an English manager.

Having lost the first leg in Belgium 3-1, we were underdogs but I was very bullish about our chances. If I am honest, I cannot recall too much of the game apart from Sammels winner and the insanity of that moment. Words cannot explain the feeling – you all know what I mean, when the logical process gets left behind and the emotions take over. Time stops. It’s a type of petit mal. There is only one thing like it (wink wink).

People were praying for the final whistle (Sammels scored with 15mins to go). The noise at the end was ear shattering. Frank McLintock received the Cup and then all hell broke loose. The entire North Bank invaded the pitch, followed by everyone else – even the East Stand Upper! I stayed on the pitch dancing with strangers for what seemed like hours until we were shepherded out. I cannot recall another occasion when the pitch was invaded and it remains the only time my feet have touched the hallowed turf.

This was our first trophy for 17 years, yes, 17 years! It was the first trophy I was privileged to see us win. The joy was unbridled. In those far off days I was teetotal yet was persuaded to take pint or two, which accounts for my having little memory of the celebrations that followed!

The names of that team will go with me to my grave. It is THE Arsenal team to me, much as the Invincibles are to the current generation of young Gooners.

Thank you Messrs Wilson, Storey, McNab, Kelly, McLintock, Simpson, Armstrong, Sammels, Radford, George and Graham, and last but definitely not least, Mr Mee. Thank you.

184 Responses to It was 40 years ago today …..

1. DC says:

I was also there. Still ranks as my greatest night at Highbury. People cannot understand what it was like to go 17 years without a trophy and, let’s be fair, we were rubbish in the early-mid sixties. I wasn’t teetotal then, although I am now.

2. Fantastic post Raddy – thankyou for a lovely morning read.

Sorry it took so long to go up – bit of a technical glitch.

Raddy,

I could have written those exact words myself.A night never to be forgotten.As I mentioned, i went to the away leg as well, and sat next to Jack kelsey on the plane.it was reported he had the biggest hand span of all time for a keeper. A true gent, as were most of the players in his day.
    I must remind you that we were getting murdered at Anderlecht, 3-0 when this fresh faced youngster came on, Ray kennedy and gave us the vital away goal.(as he was to do at WHL in the double year).
    One has to be of an age like us, old farts to understand what that meant, 17 years without a trophy and a good proportion of the time in the shadow of Spurs.

in a way bertie mee was such an unlikely candidate as our managr, a mild mannered man, but unfortunately he never swa eye to eye with our Charlie george.

Thanks for the memory, and they say today 5 years without a trophy is an eternity.Well done.

It’s Saga Day on Arsenal Arsenal ;)

5. charybdis1966 says:

Very evocative piece there Radders, as they say ” nostalgia ‘aint what it used to be.”
    Age wiser, I’m not of the saga crowd but I think I qualify as a “Victim of the ‘80s” – too young to be a hippy, too old to be yuppie.

6. Jongunna says:

I was also there that night.
    My first live game had been the opening match of the 1958-59 season. We lost that (1-0 against Sheff Wen) and we didn’t fare too well until that night.
    Various memories. The goals of course, I can still replay them all in my head with a view from the North Bank.
    McLintock running on the pitch at the start of the second exhorting and conducting the fans in what was to be a non-stop chant of “Attack. Attack. ATTACKATTACKATTACK!!!!!!”
    At the final whistle the guy next to me was screaming, with tears rolling uncontrollably down his face, “We’ve won something! We’ve won something! After 17 years we’ve f***ing won something!!”
    Then we went on the pitch.
    Travelled home with no voice, mud up to my knees and the biggest smile ever on my face, especially when we passed Blue Shite Lane on the train.
    Wonderful.

7. London says:

Great read BR

It deserves more than one day up there.

8. Alfa says:

Raddy, fantastic read, especially for those of us born a couple of years too late to be part of the great day.

I wonder if that atmosphere will ever happen again in quite the same way? We’d probably all be moaning the next day that Arsene hadn’t signed Ray Kennedy on to a longer contract :)

Best post I’ve read in ages, I hope everyone at the club reads it as well.

BTW, a family friend was dating Ray Kennedy for a while, probably a couple of years after the Fairs Cup. It did sound like a different world then…

9. Russ says:

Thanks for posting this article sounds like an amazing night but a bit before my time. My first game was Chelsea in the League cup 1977 but I do remember a pitch invasion when Villa came down on the last day of the season in 1980. They won the league despite us beating them 2-0. We qualified for the UEFA cup with that victory – another memorable day at the old highbury.

10. Russ says:

sorry Villa game was 81 not 80!

11. dandan says:

Nice one Raddy, My you played well that night.Yes I was there, stood next to Arthur Mullard for you old uns (beanz meanz heinz) Wonderful night after so much pain, spuds had done the double ten years before what stick I had taken, it all disappeared that night. Jon Sammels a class player was eventually driven out by the boo boys (some things don’t change) but he was a hero among heroes that night.
    Was my one and only time on the pitch too and what a shock that was Geordie Armstrong had run up and down the wing all night banging in the crosses causing panic and mayhem. yet when i put a foot on the pitch the mud came up over my shoes and I got a boot full how he had played on that god knows, Our modern refs would call it unplayable.

But as you say 17 years of hurt exorcised in a single moment and the main reason us who remember laugh at the whinging at a 5 year wait for a trophy.

Happy days

12. Peter Lewis says:

I too was there, aged 14 at the time.

I’d been to Wembley the year before for the Swindon debacle so was only too aware of the long wait for a trophy.

It too, remains as my most memorable moment at Highbury. The sight of grown men crying!

I had been making a scrapbook of that season with photos and reports. I still have it today, along with the ones I made the following year for our first double.

Its the reason why I am sick of the constant snide comments such as ‘another trophyless year’. For f— sake, winning a trophy is more special when you have to wait in hope rather than expect.

That’s what all true gooners must understand.

Nothing comes close to the emotion of that night in April 1970.

13. dandan says:

Well said Peter, but it is difficult to understand if you have been part of a successful era, so don’t be to harsh, it is a now world we live in, mores the pity
    Swindon yes I was there to, god bless that wonderful Wembley carpet. LOL

14. London says:

Swindon….Gus? I am confused.

Don’t you mean

Swindon…..Ian

Luton…….Gus

15. dandan says:

Sorry London you are right, I have got two toddlers helping me type it aint easy , I will change that LOL

16. London says:

No matter how hard I try I cannot forget the pain of Swindon.

and bobby gould crying when he equalised, but all in vain.

what a pitch and don rodgers and their keeper had a blinder.(Funny that happens a lot, that keepers excel themselves against us)

18. interesting, london

i would say in all the years i have followed arsenal, the game i still cannot forget the pain of is that god dam replay with united at villa park in 1999.

the ramifications of the ruled out anelka winner, and the bergkamp pen save in the 92nd minutes… were the biggest in history.

we were on for another double, but ended up blowing the league aswell.. and watched as united went on and won the treble.

that match left me in bits for a long time, even now thinking about how we lost it and what might have been for our history if that team won another double.. and prevented the united treble… aaaasarghhh

SH,

and Sky to this day endlessly show that Giggs winner.

20. indeed, kelsey, indeed

thanks ever so much for bringing that hairy chest to my attentinon, again, the bastard, how dare he score such a goal!

21. Looks like the Swindon mess got sorted out :lol:

22. Ian? Luton? I’m totally confused

23. SH – if you’re there, can you just put another comment on to make sure I haven’t consigned you to spam by deleting that other comment

24. ok

post still shows double instead of treble though..?

25. Well mine definitely says treble …………

26. Sorry, you were right, I checked the wrong one – all done now

27. andy says:

I wasn’t born till 72. Watched my first game at 7. 1979 FA cup final (on the telly though) and bin a gooner ever since. Hopefully it wont b 17yrs this time lads

Thanks for the kind words.

I will save the Swindon anecdotes for another day.

How about we plan a May 26th anniversary, posting our whereabouts and memories of that wonderful night ?

29. andy says:

Kelsey

I was just reading that. It would be such a shame for Adebayor to leave those lovely fans who he loves so much wouldnt it.

Andy. Of course not, I will take a fairly hefty wager that we win a trophy next season (provided some deadwood is sold and some (4) new players bought)

31. Alfa says:

Hi Andy. I had a Saturday job in our little local hardware store in ’79 and had to listen to the cup final on the radio in the shop. God only knows what I served to people that day but I can tell you after the final whistle everyone got double servings of paraffin (some of the oldies on here will remember paraffin!).

Look at the source for the story. SWP perhaps but not the other two…… unless JT is on his way to MC, as the press were touting last summer.

Alfa. Still use it!!

34. Alfa says:

Kelsey

I hope so too. Also, AW today ‘revealed there was a desire to bring in players ahead the summer tournament. He went on: “I believe the earlier you settle your team the better it is and the less anxiety you have.”‘

So we’ll have a new GK, CB and striker by the middle of June…maybe?

35. Alfa says:

BR, its apparently great for stiff joints :lol:

36. Rocky Lives says:

Great, great read BR. Lovely nostalgia but also some messages in there for today, methinks.
    I didn’t start going until the 70-71 season (which turned out rather well) so I don’t really remember the Anderlecht win. The emotion after so long without silverware must have been incredible. I can remember what it was like winning the league in 1989 after 18 years, but at least we’d had some cup successes in between.
    Alfa – you’re right. If it was today, after the first leg away defeat people would have been calling for Bertie’s head and trying to flog off half the team.
    Dandan – was Arthur Mullard a Gooner? I never knew that. We all have a good idea of today’s celebrity fans, but who were the celeb fans of yesteryear?

37. gnarleygeorge9 says:

BR

How do you remember that night so vividly after 40 years. You weren’t one of those “Dear Diary” types were you :lol:

38. andy says:

BR
    I agree. I have now come through my couple of weeks of despair and am now genuinely excited about next season. With a bit of tweaking we gona b gr8.

39. London says:

It seems like every Arsenal supporter on every blog is hoping and expecting a new goal keeper…….I have a feeling there could be a lot of disappointed people.

40. you think he will convert fabinski to his number 1?

almunia is finished for sure, those quotes from wenger a few weeks back, followd by a complete dropping from the squad (supposed wrist injury) spelled the death nail.

41. andy says:

I’m hoping for Joe hart but I think the best we will get is a stop-gap till chesney’s ready. Some1 like sorensen or even schwarzer.

42. i am amazed so many believe man city, a team that will challenge for the title next season, maybe play CL football, who have just lost their number one keeper to a serious injury… will allow their up and coming young english keeper, in light of all the new squad regs…. to sign for arsenal.

i will bare my backside outside the emirates on the opening day of the season if we or ANY other team sign him this summer.

43. andy says:

I know ur right sfh but you can always hope.

44. London says:

I don’t think Wenger has ruled Fabianski out as the number one as much as many already seem to.

45. London says:

SFH

Just to clarify: are you saying there is no chance of Hart leaving City?

I hope you are mistaken London.

GG. Jut a good long-term memory. Ask me what I did on Friday and I would struggle!

Maybe an unfulfilled dream of SfH’s (3.26). Very Freudian

48. dandan says:

Rocky yes he was a very keen gooner, he used to stand right next to us under the mike that hung from the TV platform above us. Knew a few choice words when he needed them

49. Alfa says:

London, like you I don’t think we will sign a new keeper. My comment about signing up lots of new players by mid-June was a bit sarcastic, but maybe Arsene meant what he said this time. As someone said a few weeks ago Gomes used to be pretty poor for Spurs but seems to be better now, maybe that is the best we can hope for from Fabianksi or Almunia.

50. think almunia has had his time, 7 years at the club is long enough to prove wether or not you have it.

london – yes, i don’t see why city would sell hart to a premiership rival, maybe loan him again to a lower side, but certainly not sell him.

can’t see marwood allowing that.

hart is very, very good, and this shoulder injury to given is bad.. i read it will be push and go for him to be fit for the start of the new season, if that is the case there is even more chance of them keeping hold of him.

51. Tar Heel Gunner says:

I guess I now qualify as a veteran Gunner.I remember Dad coming home late covered in mud.I was too young to go but just three years later got dragged up to Hillsborough to see us go down to Sunderland in the FA Cup Semi Final.That still resonates with me all these years later.That was the end of the glory glory years and the team broke up and we had to endure relegation battles yes relegation to the young ones.Then there was the 3 Cup finals and european exploits again.What a rollercoaster it has been.Seen it all,lived it all but a 3-2 loss to Wigan still plagues me like a bad cace of piles.Come on you Gunners and silk scarves forever!!

52. omg, what a tool gordon brown is, what a cock up!!!

53. I think if AW thought that Fabianski was good enough now he surely would have given him more chances this season.

He stuck with Almunia mess-up after horrible mess-up – gave him too many chances if you ask me and Fabianski not enough.

54. SH – I’ve just watched all the footage. Obviously he shouldn’t have said it but why was it recorded???????? And then why was it released??????????????

55. peaches – you have a point… do we think if that had been cameron, sky news would have released the footage?

no chance imo

56. dandan says:

They released the major cock up a couple of elections back. In this case he asked for the mike and the live feed.

Man has the people skills of an amoeba I am afraid

57. Have you watched the actual interview the woman had with Brown in the street? She had four minutes of his time and made her points very well – he was able to answer all her questions I can’t understand why he was phased by it. She didn’t exactly heckle him.

I thought the way the sky reporters hounded her was a bit off though and how long after he got in the car did they find the woman to interview her.

I smell a big fat rat – Sky TV have acted very unprofessionally I reckon, but they are reporters afterall ;)

58. dandan says:

A story is a story is a story peaches, in this world of sanitised news, sound bites and spin, a story like that is heaven sent. He should have known better.

Mandy will be on camera soon,spinning like a top. but like all rats he will desert Brown as soon as the election is over

59. London – you don’t read back over the last few comments do you :roll:

60. of course he will dandan, mandy is about as 2 faced as you could get.

peaches you are correct, the actual inicident with the women was not that bad, he cam across quite well, answered all the questions, unlike cameron, did not make an immediate beeline for the car… asked her about the grandkids… and then blew it.

this is huge, completley landed the tories the job.

a hung parliment was almost guaranteed, this was needed to prevent that.

just watching the woman interviews asking what she said that was so bigoted.. and she is right.

what a total catastrohpe… cameron may as well move into number 10 tonight.

61. and a day before the last live TV debate :lol:

62. London says:

Peaches

Of course I read back over the comments but there are people who frequent this site that do not live in the UK and it was for those that I posted the link…….keep up. I would do one of those roll your eyes to heaven faces but I haven’t a clue where to find them.

63. dandan says:

LOL not that bad yet Hawk, it is the end of Brown though because not only will Clegg and Cameron refuse to work with him but so will his party disown him, there will be a right bun fight Harriot harridan will be in there fighting with ED Balls up and the brothers Grim.

I saw the whole thing on Sky News just now. Privately, i reckon it is a frequent occurance, but he got unlucky having the mike still on.
    it was a bit like watching Arsenal to hear the woman’s final remarks after hearing the playback.Instead of shooting (him down) she said she wouldn’t vote (for labour) as opposed to saying she would vote for another party, if you get my drift.

remember Ron Atkinson off air, cost him his t.v. pundit job in England.

65. London – colon roll colon :oops:

66. haha dandan, i can defo see HH fight her corner to be the 21st century thatcher for the party in red.

i cannot think of another F up so bad, so close to a general election in the history of british politics.

67. dandan says:

Kelsey the Euro is looking dodgy mate, Spain just been downgraded by the credit agencies.

Looking forward to tonights game, can Barca do it

All these ministers look so young these days, not like Disraeli and gladstone when you had to be about 80 before you got a high ranking job in politics.

Hung parliament i think.labour have to lose 29 seats and the Conservatives have to gain 116 for an overall majority.Glad i live abroad, sometimes ;)

69. He wasn’t a good choice of leader in the first place – rather sad for the Labour Party though it would appear they’ll need a miracle now – certainly in Rochdale

dandan, don’t speak to soon, the UK could be next. my contacts tell me that doom and gloom is around the corner.

71. dandan says:

Send for Gracey Fields she would be a dead cert there lol If you pardon the pun.

72. nightmare for labour, the lib dems will push them for seats now, they wil struggle for a generation to be the 2nd party after this gaff.

73. ‘All these ministers look so young these days’ my grandpa used to say that about Tony Benn :)

I have an embroiderer in rochdale, and i better not say what i know, but the BNP have a very strong footing there.

75. dandan says:

I agree with you my friend, but at least we can still set our own interest rates.

76. lol, i will only ever have that ali g prank on tony benn as my everlasting memory of the man.

great politican.

77. more fool them then kelsey, to vote BNP is to vote complete ignorance to the real facts.

78. dandan says:

The Germans are not happy with all this Kelsey, they may yet revert to type and cut the finances. Merckle is a dangerous woman playing for high stakes

79. Where have all the men/women gone that could have been great politicians? It all seems too easy now – obviously it isn’t because they’ve messed up big time – but mostly they don’t seem to be earnest and dedicated.

SH,,

I couldn’t agree more but so many people are ignorant to the real truth and are easily led, as my grand parents could testify to if they hadn’t been gassed.

81. dandan says:

Hard times ahead I am afraid peaches, most of our politicians have never run a youth club, let alone a business so what do they know of running a country. Power is what they crave, and we will pay the bill

82. dandan says:

Bloody hell Kelsey, my wife is in that club Mate

sad but true.

84. i’m looking forward to the game tonight aswell, dandan

has all the hallmarks of a classic.

85. Well blimey – just found one of my own comments in spam 8O

86. dandan – your last comment was the 11,000th comment. I only mention this because we all missed the 10,000th comment completely :lol:

87. dandan says:

Wife says I talk to much. LOL

Well Mrs.Duffy might be getting a phone call from The Sun tonight, if they haven’t already done so. Will she sell her story of the hour long private interview with the Prime minister.

Meanwhile can’t wait for the game tonight.I want barca to win, but I see both side conceding, which might make my wish a bit more difficult.

89. it’s a classic contest between the best defensive coach and defensive side against the best attacking coach and attacking side.

with the attacking side at home needing 2 goals minimum and the defensive side needing to concede one goal at worst.

makes for a perfect spectacle.

Really looking forward to the game. The first was a cracker and proof of Mourinho’s ablilities as a coach.

I fear he will out think Pep again, and Inter will progress.

Shame because I love Barca’s style of football

And I think all players should be available for the Final. Ribery should play, and so should anyone else who gets a second yellow that puts them out.

It is meant to be the showpiece of Club football, and both teams should be able to field their best side.

92. London says:

Absolutely, BR

93. Rasputin says:

Evening all,

Fantastic post Raddy, I’ve been out all day and only just had the pleasure of reading the day’s comments. I think it is a great illustration of the breadth of the site and the quality of its contributors.

L’Inter ha parchegiatto l’autobus

95. they certainly have, BR

96. glorious, blatant cheating from barca.. he even peaked up at the camera :lol:

loving this

Some superb diving going on. A masterclass.

What a save from J Cesar. Sign him up…..

99. almunia would have saved that

100. wtf? he was pushed in the box there.. why no appeal???

Zlatan is pants. Get on TH

102. BR, TH14 is also pants these days.

103. if inter finish this match with more than 9 men.. it will be a miracle

Yes but he#s our pants SfH, and ZI is a Swede…..

Barca have to try and shoot more, they are never going to score from diagonal crosses. Not with Inter’s 2 superb CB’s.

Very interesting half to come

106. This is awfully familiar – just like watching Arsenal ;)

Poor Barca performance. They really miss Iniesta and have lost any pace in their passing and movement. Like AFC they lack a PLan B.

Worryingly for us, Cesc would make an enormous difference to them tonight.

Still there are 15 mins left and there is a remote possibility that Inter could crumble, but I wouldn’t bet one ore on it.

108. BR – is it a poor perfromance?

or is it easy to stop better players playing?

we get it at the emms everey other week

goal goal barca

109. inter are the epitome of parking the bus

no intention at all of scoring a goal

IMO it is. Barca need to play at a higher tempo against this ageing defence.

Still we are in for an exciting last few mins.

111. ageing defence? maybe the best defence in europe

how do you break down a 6-3-0 formation?

112. anti-football wins again

113. and the 3 in midfield are all playing as DM’s

But fairplay to Inter they have been superb.

115. absolute wanker of the highest order mourinho

valdes should have knocked him out

116. great anti-football manager though

I agree. Anti-football wins again, but over the two legs Inter were the better team,

Don’t think it was a handball for Bojan’s “goal”

The Barca groundsman put on the sprinklers whilst Inetr were celebrating :-)

Hope Bayern beat them

118. London says:

What incredible defending, absolutely brilliant, I am trying to work out who was MOTM?

119. London says:

Anti-football…..what are they supposed to do with ten men?

120. boring, most teams could go out there and play a 6-3-0 foration and have no intention of attacking but blatantly park the bus.

horrible.

121. london it was anti football when they had 11 men

they came to park the bus

if barca went down to 10… inter would still have kept all men back.

122. valdes :lol:

proper man handled him, should of finished him properly.

123. Rasputin says:

Maureen was MoM :? What a shame Barça only played their best (were allowed to play their best?) against us….

Fair point London. It was a brilliant defensive performance, but hardly entertainment. They were palying that way prior to the sending off.

125. London says:

The only thing that amazes me is why more teams in Spain don’t play like that against Barcelona. What is the point in playing open football against them? It is as stupid as Burnley playing open football against Arsenal they are going to lose. Criticise City all you like but they got their point, we also got our but that is another story.

126. London says:

Guys that is all very moral but I would give my left bollack to be going to Madrid with Arsenal, anti football or no anti football.

127. Like when teams play against us its so easy to know exactly what we’re going to do – all Inter had to do was sit back. Barça couldn’t take advantage of the extra man because the game didn’t ever get stretched.

128. London says:

I am not sure who I dislike more Motta for being so stupid or Busquets for being a cheating banned word.

129. valdes easily MOTM

top man

130. Rasputin says:

The Maureen fairytale continues … wins the final at Madrid, manages Madrid next year and becomes the first manager to win the CL with 3 different clubs …

SH, would you bet against it?

131. They couldn’t tire the Inter defense because nobody did any running around.

I agree London – I’d give anything to be going to Madrid with Arsenal

132. bayern could beat inter

if ribery plays.

133. London says:

I thought it was a really entertaining game of football. The old Arsenal back four would have been proud of that.

Could it be because they aren’t good enough defensively London?

As SfH says there are few better back 5’s in football or DMs than Inter’s.

And please don’t promote defensive football as pragmatic. Would you like us to go to OT and park the bus (if we could!!)?

135. Rasputin says:

Evening peaches :P

£200m spent this year and Maureen and A’Cole virtually signed up for Real next season … what do you think?

136. London says:

I am not sure, for me it is a tie between Cambiaso and Lucio maybe Cambiaso edged it.

I will give London’s left bollock to be going to the CL Final next season at Wembley

138. dandan says:

Just back from my daughters, I do hate the moany style of football, trophies at all cost, not for me I am afraid.

Peaches will have a look at that now.

139. Hello Rasputin :P

Before you ask me, that very nice man dandan sent a post that we could use tomorrow – have a look in drafts if you like.

140. London says:

How do you think we won the last trophy…….Bergkamp up front on his own…….it was a great display. Ninty minutes under the cosh and Vieira scores the winner.

141. far too many attacking players at real for jose to manage

his style is all about defence before attack

this inter side won 3 scudettos on the trot under mancini, based on defence, before he took them over.

If Julio Cesar hadn’t made that wonder save from Messi in the first half, Barca would have won, so he must be in the frame. But I agree Cambiasso MoM

143. London says:

How did you guys survive the days of one nil to the Arsenal. I still love the back four.

144. Is it at Wembley next year?

145. london – it was boring football under GG, but we did win stuff

under wenger, we have won far more, and with glowing attacking football.

99/100 people would choose to win with style and panache

nobody really remembers boring park the bus sides throughout history.

146. give me henry, dennis, red fred and pires over the back four annnnnny day of the week, london

147. Rasputin says:

Just read it peaches, that should arouse some ‘passion’ :lol:

Busquets reaction was disgraceful, though it was a yellow card offence for Motta and he had to go

London. Copious anmounts of alcohol and Ian Wright.

150. oh gaaawd i am going on internet strike tommorow

i can just imainge a certain goon blog going OTT over mourinho and ripping our AW apart.

151. London says:

I’m still on a high from tonight’s game. I thought it was such a fantastically professional display. Loved it.

152. never personally get on a high from any other team apart from arsenal winninig a game.

153. But if we had a central defender that could score a goal like Pique did I’d be really happy.

I love one nil to the Arsenal but I like to sing it for at least 30 minutes not 2 :lol:

Stop moaning peaches :oops:

154. that was a fabulous goal peaches…. and btw we do have won

vermy scored much better goals this season ;)

155. glass half full.. glass half empty :lol:

156. Rasputin says:

Apparently we can’t defend like demons and play attractive football at the same time?

AW seems to believe that the most important part of a team is the midfield as it gives the greatest control of the ball, I think it is equally important to have a balanced side with a strong spine… are both possible?

157. rasp, did you think the invincibles side had both?

158. London says:

Tonight’s game made me think of the back four and how proud I used to be of them.

Limited resources maximum effect.

159. Rasputin says:

Absolutely SH, it was a tongue in cheek comment ;)

160. so was the the riposte ;)

The 1998 side had proper balance Rasp. The best defence ever, Petit and Vieira MF, DB10, Overmars and Anelka upfront. What a team.

162. London says:

If you beat Arsenal, I will not like you and becasue of that I will want any team to beat you………I know it equates to the intelligence of a five year old but I don’t like it when a team stops me from going to a Champions League final. So Barça can suffer in the same way tonight as we did when they beat us. I think the Germans call it shardenfraude.

Fairplay London

164. yeah i feel like that most of the time london, but not tonight, no way could i support a mourinho side, the man is brilliant at what he does… but he is the devil in disguise.

and peaches… remember what we discussed about him the other night? see him celebrating on the PITCH like the striker who scored the winning goal to take his team through? by himself…. !!

165. dandan says:

Done Peaches if thats ok.

166. Hope so dandan, thanks.

Poor Thierry didn’t even get on the pitch – can I start my campaign now to get him back to THOF to help train our greyhound Theo

167. on a final note…

xavi completed more passes than the entire inter team put together tonight.

168. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Hi Honey I’m home :P

169. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I really hope that Arsene Wenger is fired up for next season. Now is not the time to be continuing down Mediocre Street. Which incidently would be known as Outstanding Year Street, if it was is in Tottenham :lol:

He, IMO, is about to arrive @ the Last Chance Saloon, which is @ the corner of Mediocre Street & Onwards & Upwards Road. As a former North Londoner myself :cool: if Le Gaffer came up to me outside Last Chance Saloon asking for directions,I’d say, head straight up Onwards & Upwards Road, till you get to Summer Transfer Lane. Once you have gone past the 3 signings that say New Keeper, New Centre Back & Fox in the Box, follow your Gallic nose all the way to Top Rank @ catch a cab to Champions Station where you will find all your Gooner mates waiting for you. Its next door to the Islington Town Hall.

But, I would remind him, “Remember, mon ami, you are @ Last Chance Saloon, you have no time to down a few spirits, coz you have already done that, & pissed Arsenal people off”.

170. London says:

Very clever GG, great stuff.

171. Rasputin says:

Excellent witty stuff GG, keep hold of that theme because we’ll need material of that nature when the season is over and we’re all stumbling down Suicide Alley ;)

172. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Cheers fellas

173. chaf says:

Just checked back over the last days, BR, great post, my favourite ever moment at Higbury, just pipped Tony Adams winner against Everton to make it 4-0 and win the league.
    And London, agree, whoever beats us, deserves to go out, just proved they were lucky against us, doesn’t it.

174. chaf says:

GG – just read that again, very funny, almost a two Ronnies sketch.

175. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Chaf

Hope you’ll all be around for the World Cup. At least we’ll all know where to find old Frenchie, in the commentary box.

There’s a NEW POST