Support the Enemy…….come on you spurs

Yesterday was the weirdest of days in blogland. Some serious ranting took place on a  few blogs but here it seemed we were mostly stunned into silence, except for one or two who clearly wear their hearts on their sleeves.

As ever, with all things Arsenal, the camps were divided. Are we still in the race for the title or did the draw at Birmingham bring an end to our chance of winning the Premiership? Obviously, mathematically, we are still in the race as there is the possibility that the teams above us will drop points against sides that have their own goals to achieve.

In this important week, when we play Barcelona at home in the Champions Leaugue, those three points would have given us the security of knowing we are still in with a  realistic chance of landing the Premiership title. If only Almunia had pushed  harder and that ball had sailed over the bar …. as it is, we all need to push in the same direction…… or as the club motto puts it Victoria Concordia Crescit ” victory comes from harmony”

Undoubtedly, the pendulum has swung against us and in favour of the other two. Ironically we may well have to wish success on totnum, citeh and fat sam’s blackburn when they play our rivals even though they collectively represent everything we detest about the Premier League – delusions of grandeur, obscene money without class and blatant organised thuggery. For these games only, we will support the enemy.

We’re all gearing up to roast the spuds at ‘The Lame’. They think they deserve Champions League football and while they have been annoyingly persistent in holding on to 4th place thus far, I really don’t want them to get the idea that they are in any way deserving of a place in the top four.  They play the three title aspirants in succession, starting with us at the Lane followed by the chavs and then a trip to Old Trafford. Whilst I don’t want to us to drop any points against them, it would be useful if they drew the other games and take points off of the mancs and the chavs even if it meant their chances of finishing fourth were helped in the process.

Citeh will also play us and the mancs. They believe they should be playing Champions League football and when you consider the money thats been lavished on that squad – including the seriously overpriced Lazybayour – they probably have  a point. We must exact revenge for the game at Eastlands earlier in the season, but we should hope they triumph against the red mancs.  They’ll want to stamp their authority on the City of Manchester, and we’ll be the winners in terms of the title race. Are they more deserving of a top four place? I would prefer anyone but the spuds.

The chavs were held to a draw last week at Blackburn. Arsenal and the mancs will travel there in the coming weeks. Blackburn are nestled safely in 10th place so, who would Fat Sam be more likely to want to help out? Not us I reckon so we should expect a tough game from them. How important will the points be to us by then? – only time will tell

There are still a lot of twists and turns to come. This title race is destined to be one of the most exciting yet.  Arsène was clearly rattled after the game on Saturday and uncharacteristically gave the press a mouthful of very flowery language.

If only he’d bought a world class goalkeeper in the summer, he would probably have been smiling all the way home.

Think how bitter sweet it will be for spud supporters to beat the chavs and manure and in doing so help us win the title. So through gritted teeth, everything crossed, for those two games only  ………… come on you spurs…

By Rasputin and peachesgooner

119 Responses to Support the Enemy…….come on you spurs

1. charybdis1966 says:

A joint effort today? Interesting, but I take the view of “my enemy’s enemy is my friend” which I think some despot coined as a useful adage.
    As regards to our title challenge, it’s not dead just hanging on by its finger nails. Fairly depressing time to be a goner now – plus the so called coming of spring hasn’t resulted in it being any lighter yesterday evening. It was gloomy and overcast (in matching with my mood post-Brum) all day so it got dark just as early as it did Saturday evening.

2. Morning chary – still dark around here too :(

3. I constantly surprise myself at how easy it is to support a team that on another weekend I would have disliked intensely – watching Bolton against the mancs was an eyeopener ;)

4. charybdis1966 says:

It’s dark in the soul of every Gooner at the moment Peachy, at least until we beat Barca on Wednesday. I take it you are attending then?

5. I will be attending – I can’t wait, I love European nights

6. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I’ve gotta say, when The Spanish Waiter tipped the ball into the top of the old onion bag, my heart missed a beat.

The funny thing is, when I hit the sack after the final whistle, I actually dreamed I told AW to get a new keeper, & he reacted by saying yes I hear you. Curious that ;)

7. gnarleygeorge9 says:

peaches

Don’t forget to take a photo of you know who if you happen to have a bevy or 2 pre game.

8. tommystout says:

MORNING PEEPS, enjoyed your post today peachy and rasp… i aint giving up yet, and agree with chary its hanging by fingernails time.
    looking forward to wednesday – xavi wont be playing and iniesta is a doubt.
    will sol be able to raise himself for another, well he’s certainly got incentive!
    This seasons been a weird one for sure, so many ups and downs but still in with a shout. One semi decent keeper and we’d be sailing by now…. has anyone worked out how many points almunia & fabianski has cost us this season???

Good morning,

having had time to cool time I am afraid that I have to agree with many regarding Almunia. Seamen and then even “mad Jens” were a tough act to follow . Naturally keepers and strikers are nearly always highlighted in matches either for glaring mistakes or wonderful saves or strikes. The foundation of any good team is to have a disciplined defence that has an understanding with their keeper, and many times this season there has been hesitation, and we have conceded unnecessary goals.Almunia rarely commands his area, his distribution is often poor and on many occasions he finds himself in no mans land as he is indescive if he should come for a cross or not.It’s a very valid point about his weakness, and in fact he is rated at number 14 in the PL. Until this is addressed the best we can hope for is third best in the country.We have had ten keepers since Wenger arrived, and it is obvious that this is his achilles heel.

10. charybdis1966 says:

I hope you have another European night like the last one then Peachy, but I’ll see you on Saturday when we put our league campaign back on track against Wolves. I hope Gnarley isn’t asking for a mug shot of me when you go for a pre match drink! You can of course agree that I look just like my avatar(!)
    TommyS – I thought Iniesta was definitely out and Xavi was probably out from the injury that kept him out of the Stuttgart last 16 tie?

11. Rasputin says:

Morning kelsey,

Both you and I expressed our concerns about the quality of the keeper throughout the summer, in fact, I believe we both independently said that if we made just one signing it should be a GK. But this is not the time to be clever in hindsight. We’re stuck with Manuel and just have to hope he keeps the clangers to a minimum.

12. charybdis1966 says:

On the look-out for other positive news I hope that Vidic gets a four match ban for his elbow in Elmander’s face – the referee can’t surely say he saw that and took appropriate action(& put it in his match report)? They did that to Ferdinand for the same thing so surely consistency has to apply, but of course we know consistency is not always apparent where the Old Toilet mob are concerned.

13. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Yep you chary & a certain bear & mexican politician, etc.

14. charybdis1966 says:

In that case “I’m ready for my close-up Mr De Mille !”

15. Rasputin says:

Morning chary and gg,

There have certainly been some appalling refereeing decisions over the weekend, not only our game but Burnley. I suppose the quality of reffing abroad is as bad, I’m not reaslly qualified to say.

16. charybdis1966 says:

Morning Raspers, it’ll be up to the home crowd to gee-up our players on Wednesday asa no doubt they’ll be feeling a bit deflated after Saturday. I know they’re professionals and they are playing Barca and they should need no motivation – I don’t think they are lacking that, it’s more their self-confidence will have taken a knock after the 2 dropped points. Maybe I’m not being harsh enough but if getting behind them just that bit more can push them an extra 5% then it’ll be worth it.
    My only fear is that UEFA will have creamed a sizeable percentage of the tickets available at the Grove and there’ll be mainly tourists on Wednesday and not enough vociferous, true supporters.

By this time next week we could have 3 more points from a home game against Wolves, while ManUre and Chavs may have drawn. Then everything will look a lot prettier – the table will read:
    ManUre – 73 pts
    Chavs – 72 pts
    Mighty Arse – 71 pts
    All to play for!

18. Rasputin says:

I agree about the tickets chary. I thought that when we highlighted that on Rant Friday, many more fans who had wasted time and failed to get tickets would have a moan. It seems that there is a general malaise in the blogworld and as you say, we mustn’t generate that onto the pitch on wednesday. The time for post mortems is when the season is over, but if our players can’t get motivated over a game against Barça then they never will.

19. Rasputin says:

Hi Rocky, yes, that’s the way we have to view it. I have said all along I think the prem will only be decided on the last game of the season. One thing is for sure, we won’t catch the others on goal difference so it has to be points – therefore… come on you spurs …. choke!!

20. Chary – you say in the very first comment of this post

“fairly depressing time to be a gooner right now”
    :lol: i presume you are joking?

21. charybdis1966 says:

A mixture of irony and exaggeratoin of the post-Brum final whistle feeling I suppose SfH.
    I almosat kicked a shopping trolley when I saw the FT score on Saturday – I was being dragged around the ships at that time.
    My mood darkened palpably after that equaliser.
    However, looking at the bigger picture things could be a lot worse.

22. great easter to look forward to

when was the last football we saw that, no matter what result it ends in… its a bloody good result for arsenal?

the manure chav game is one of those.

thank god we only have wolves at home on weds night, like i said before, these barca games cannot come and go quick enough for our title challenge.

but for pure fun, theatre and enjoyment, its halcyon days to be a gooner with these barca games either side of easter.

great times.

23. sorry, wolves at home on easter sat**

24. dandan says:

Nice piece Rasp and peaches, Am so glad some peace has come to the blog.
    The old cliche of you win some and you lose some is often used to uplift or quieten the spirit of football fans distressed at the latest result. But for me this does not apply to the Arsenal, from where I sit ours is a win win season.

We started the season as every pundits idea of the team that would drop out of the top four and get murdered in the CL.
    Well today we sit in a more or less guaranteed third place and could well finish higher. We also wait excitedly for the team, generally considered the best in the world to arrive at our stadium for a CL quarter final. All this with a lineup that has been seriously weakened from the original no chance team, by serious long term injuries to key players.

Sure we have had bad moments and only a fool would say we don’t need an experienced keeper. But with players on the way back, an embarrassment of riches in the reserves and a general acceptance throughout the club, that a couple of new quality players will arrive in the summer, I for one am content.

How many of you back in August when the critics and doomongers raged, would have settled for today’s position I wonder. These same guys are saying as I say that no matter what happens in the next 6 weeks we will be a force to reckon with next year.(Mr Hanson a fan, can you believe that)

Add to this that no matter what the spuds do, we will still finish above them, how they must hate that year on year.

So a few disappointments along the way,we can live without the Johnny come latelys trophy hunters, spewing their inane rubbish. But all in all the Arsenal world is one millions of fans of other clubs would love to be living in.

Keep the faith, roll on Wednesday, lets hope football wins and the winner of this tie wins the pot.

25. charybdis1966 says:

I’ll be there on Saturday SfH – after a feel good factor has been re introduced by a defeat of Barca, anyone else going?

26. charybdis1966 says:

A question, when does the ticket exchange show tickets available for a game, two or three weeks before the actual game, maybe? I’m waiting for some to show up for the Man Shitty game and there aren’t any available yet.

27. not going saturday, but i will be at the emirates this wednesday evening.

can’t wait.

28. Mayank says:

So how’s everyone keeping up?
    I expect Chelsea to win at OT because they don’t play mid-week. That will be a real blow to our chances, a draw is the best result and it can happen since it’s OT and Chelsea will be fresh.
    Can’t help but thinking there’s one final twist in the tale.

29. Mayank says:

Also, does anyone know Barca’s team news?

30. how can making up 3 points on manure be a “real blow” to our chances?

31. Mayank says:

Because then we have to expect either (whoever wins) to lose or draw 2 more. Which is not probable. A win for Chelsea at OT will give them a lot of confidence. Plus they have no CL distractions.
    But if there has to be a winner I’d rather it’s Chelsea because they have a weaker manager.

32. blaze gooner says:

i seriously think a Chelski win is still okay for Arsenal but definitely not a MU win.
    if MU win it will be over.

regarding to Barca’s team news, Iniesta is believed to be out of wednesday’s tie.
    but i wonder Cesc would miss that too…

33. Rasputin says:

Hi Mayank,

I have done my score predictor (soon to be a widget on here) for ourselves, manu and the chavs for the rest of the season and it brings us to the last game of the seasonas follows:
    Manu 81 points – last game at home to Stoke
    Chavs 80 points – last game at home to Wigan
    Arse 81 points – last game at home to Fulham

Arsenal and the chavs will get 3 points …. irony upon irony, we need Rory Delap and Co. to get a draw/win against the mancs for us to win the title

34. blaze gooner says:

isnt pullis a friend of Ferguson? lol

35. charybdis1966 says:

Blaze – I thought Xavi was out injured too ?

36. Rasputin says:

Hi blaze,

My prediction is based on a draw between manu nad chavs, if chelski win as you suggest that would make them favourites for the title….. but it’s a funny old game ;)

37. Mayank says:

Stoke can’t win at the Trafford, the pitch is tapered at touchlines. Delap can’t run with the ball. I expect Sunderland to do a number though.

38. blaze gooner says:

a Barca friend of mine said Xavi should be okay on wednesday. i dont know whether he is back or not.

if chelski win, we’ll have to support liverpool and spuds! 3 points behind chelsea is manageable in my opinion.

39. Mayank says:

If Man U have a gap then no way Ferguson will let that slip. He and the players are too experienced for that.

40. charybdis1966 says:

Think you could be right there Blaze – Xavi was on the bench for the Mallorca game at the weekend. Hopefully he’ll be a bit rusty on Wednesday though.

41. blaze gooner says:

let’s hope for the best on wednesday and the big weekend!
    i really hope gunners can achieve something this season — overcome ups and downs and get victory with harmony at the end: Brilliant!

am i the only ones who still think it’s possible? lol

42. Rasputin says:

blaze … I think you are with the majority on here in that opinion, the general ethos of the site is supportive and optimistic – with the occassional lapse into despair :P Anticipation can be exciting for some and excruciating for others, unfortunately I fall into the latter category.

43. charybdis1966 says:

So, a midfield of Xavi, Busquets and Toure for Barca, with Messi, Eto & Ibrahimovic up front ?
    Difficult but possible, Blaze.

If we were chasing one team, maybe we could pull it off, but two teams is something else. if United win on saturday, I think the best we can hope for is to come second. I am quite happy with that, considering our financial restrictions, and it shows an improvement in spite of endless injuries.

You know I like my stats, well when ever we have a whole week off between games we nearly always never win.

Ask most pro footballers, they would rather play twice a week than train.It breaks the momentum, but in our case with a small squad of experienced players it is getting harder to achieve the momentum.
    That’s the main difference between us and the other two.they have bigger squads but of course more debt.and the majority have experienced the mental pressure of a run in.

To get the optimum balance is not easy.

Oh any thoughts on Walcott ?

45. Rasputin says:

Walcott ;) – at his present stage of development, it has to be ‘horses for courses’. Start him in games where the pitch and the opposition will enable him to use his strengths, otherwise keep him on the bench until the last 20 and bring him on against a tiring defence if appropriate.

46. charybdis1966 says:

Kelsey, I’m really hoping Theo will explode from now till the end of the season, and not just for his perceived desperation in getting into the England squad for the Word Cup. While the pitch was bobbly and not helpful to him I was expecting more from him on Saturday.

47. blaze gooner says:

chary — no eto’o now. eto’o is off to inter. i wonder that will be pedro — again im not so sure. it wont be henry anyway.

as for walcott, well i think he needs to train his “vision” on pitch. that’s it. yes he has speed, but most of the time it seems that walcott simply cannot pass/ shoot at a right time. hm….

48. charybdis1966 says:

Silly me Blaze – I forgot Eto was at Inter(how could I forget his glorious goal against the Chavs recently? Deep joy) so it will be Ibra, Pedro & Messi up top I suppose.

49. chary – it will be Keita instead of Busquets.

and that f****r has form against us, he is barca’s Diaby.

50. Rasputin says:

Another question I would ask in relation to Walcott is … do you think Vela deserves more chances since he is roughly the same age and ability?

51. vela is being left to rot a little because of his exertions with mexcio

he missed pre-season because of injury with mexico and i think wenger has had it in for him a little since then.

shame, real shame.

52. Rasputin says:

I agree SfH, he scores really classy goals and is second to Theo in the sprint table. He has the ability to beat players with the trickery that Theo still lacks and he is composed in front of goal. I hope we can keep him. At least Mexico still pick him even though he is not a first team regular for us.

53. blaze gooner says:

i prefer vela to walcott. the end. lol

54. charybdis1966 says:

I heard a rumour Raspers that Wenger is unhappy with Vela’s party boy lifestyle and is being left on the bench even when he lets him in the squad. I can’t forget his poor performance in the Stoke FA Cup game where he went to ground so easily and was shrugged off the ball, maybe that was his last chance?

55. i think he could do his chances for us the world of good by having a nice little world cup rendevous ;)

he will be the star for mexico, i will be rooting them on.

56. Rasputin says:

So do I blaze…

chary … now that makes a lot of sense. Arsène has a history of shipping out the ‘party animals’ – Pennant etc. I think there may have been an element of that when he loaned LJ to Bolton, not necessarily because he is a clubber, but because he has a definite wild streak.

57. charybdis1966 says:

It’s sad though Raspers, as we went through the palava of loaning him to an EU club for 2-3 years so he could play for us sand now it seems the wait was in vain. OK, maybe that’s writing him off too hastily, but still, what a waste…..
    In the case of Jack though I reckon it was purely down to giving him more first team action.

58. Livers says:

Morning all……all a bit disappointing on Sat…

i hate draws feeling like defeats :-(

59. Rasputin says:

Hi Livers, unfortunately in terms of points, a draw is closer to a defeat … better to lose one and win one than have two draws etc etc. I think there is an argument for making score draws worth two points.

chary, LJ was Bolton’s best player at the weekend… if he could play like that for us we’d have benefited from having him on the pitch against brum.

60. charybdis1966 says:

Was he Raspers? Being harsh again, he can’t have been that good if his team got spanked 4-nil, but as I didn’t see any of the game I can’t really comment, I just saw the 4-nil result and was suitably hacked off with it.

One lonely voice in support of Theo. His performance didn’t seem as bad to me as it clearly did to some. Because of the way Brum were swamping the midfield and closing us down he just didn’t get the ball too often in dangerous positions. And occasionally his tracking back was excellent. Nasri and Arsh were able to take advantage of Brum’s tired legs in the last 20 mins – and it’s possible that Theo and Tomas would have done the same had they stayed on.
    Like others, I do have my reservations about Theo, but I think some of the criticism of him is too harsh.

By the way, nice article and a good standard of debate on the blog. I’ve been dipping in and out in between ‘working’ and it’s been fun and interesting.

63. Rasputin says:

Thanks Rocky, it’s been nice to have your company … you’re welcome any time.

It’s an all-inclusive site and we are particularly keen on inviting bloggers to be guest writers. By the standard of your comments, it is clear that we would be more than happy to include you in that scheme.

64. Livers says:

Fair Point Rocky Lives, some games I think Theo would benefit as an impact player coming off the bench. It’s far easier to catch Rosicky or Nasri with weary legs than a fresh Theo..

He gets unfairly treated sometimes and has all the signs of a “scapegoat” (maybe too strong).. People need to blame someone. I blame Phillips nose but also Almunia could have doen better imo

65. Rasputin says:

Nice avatar Livers :)

66. Livers says:

Cheers Rasp ;-)

Alan Sunderland was my first memory as a fan, the FA Cup final of 79 :-)

He did swear when he ran off didn’t he… hmmm

I have never been a theo lover, but 4 years on can one honestly say his footballing skills have developed or improved to a standard required for Arsenal, let alone England.

Vela just isn’t given a chance to start, one PL start all season. That tells me a lot.

Any more news about Diaby and Cesc’s injury and where is Mrs.Nuts ?

68. he looks like shaft in that avatar :lol:

69. Rasputin says:

I may have to change my avatar if the rumours circulating are true.

70. Rasputin says:

The Official Manager’s Report fromn Arse.com is refreshingly honest. Apparently Nasri and AA did not start because they were both carrying injuries.

As it stands, it is not known if Cesc’s knee injury sustained early on in the first half will keep him out of the Barça game.

71. cesc will most certainly play, if there was any real damage he would have been taken off immediately and replaced by nasri.

diaby is the man who needs to be fit, against yaya and keita, we need both song and diaby to counter midfield power.

72. Rasputin says:

What do you expect the CB pairing to be SfH… TV & ?

73. sagna? now why would wenger want to stick sagna in at CB against barca?

worst case scenario, silvestre would have to be drafted in.

can’t see gambles being taken on a game of this magnitude.

74. sanga did play ch at Auxerre not alot but a bit

is billy ready to come in tho?

75. think it was always a bridge too far for gallas, maybe next week but certainly not this week.

sol and tv will start, unless there is a late injury for sol.

76. you hope so but aw has done stranger things in the past

77. never in big games

he might take a gamble or two playing a player out of natural position in a smaller game

but agaisnt barca in the quarters of the CL? :lol:

78. just thought i’d throw one out of left field

when he turned up they told us he can play right across the back yet aw has never done it

you can see a sanga eboue pairing on the right on wed

79. yes defintely can see sagna and eboue down the right

which would mean nasri is on the bench.

80. almunia

sagna sol tv clichy

fab song diaby

eboue bendy arsh

that is the team i expect to start, barring injuries.

81. Rasputin says:

I think Sol and TV against Barça. Sol and Cesc will be rested against Wolves I’d imagine and Silvestre and Tomas will be drafted in.

82. how amazing has this season turned out to be?

who would have imagined, against barca in the CL, that eboue would get the nod ahead of theo, tomas and nasri.. to play RIGHT WING!!!

83. and on merit alone he deserves the start.

nasri is wasted on the flanks, as is rosicky.

84. Rasputin says:

Yes SfH, you can’t exactly say that Eboue has reinvented himself, but he has certainly produced consistantly the quality that used to be in evidence only in flashes. He plays with an attacking freedom that inspires the players around him to charge forward in support.

There was a lot of talk of Gallas not quite being ready for Barca, in which case the implication is that he might be fit for Wolves. If AW is expecting Gallas back for Wolves I don’t think he’ll have any qualms playing Sol alongside TV – it may be two games in five days for the old feller, but at least he can be rested on Saturday.

86. Rasputin says:

That’s a fair assessment I’d say Rocky. I have noticed Sol has been venturing quite high up the pitch in his last couple of games – I wouldn’t think that is a good ploy against Barça. By all means keep a straight backline, but they have the ability to penetrate our defence with one clever pass and we may not have the pace to get back.

87. London says:

Hi all

After two days of moping, refusing to read newspapers or watch television, adrenalin is starting to trickle back into my body, it will gather pace tomorrow and should be pumping like a steam train come Wednesday.

Any how, I can’t resist a guess at a team selection. SFH, Nasri wasn’t rested on Saturday for nothing I feel certain that he will play on Wednesday.

——-Almunia
    Eboue,Song,Vermaelen,Clichy
    -Diaby,Fabregas,Denilson.
    -Nasri,Bendtner,Arshavin.

It will be fascinating to see if Wenger trusts Sol?

88. Rasputin says:

Hi London,

How was life behind the sofa?

I can see that is your predicted team – but is it your prefered team? Sol in as CB and Song in place of Denilson would be mine. Apparently Nasri and AA had injuries at the weekend and that is why they didn’t start and why Nasri didn’t replace Cesc eary on after he got a knock.

89. London says:

Ahhh injuries to Arshavin and Nasri explains an awful lot.

Evening all,

the point about venturing to far up the pitch (sol) is a valid one rasp. We are playing a similar type of team and we need to be careful on the counter attack.This has been our downfall several times this season with certain players found wanting.

91. London says:

Hi Rasp

I have got to say that excluding a return of Lazarus proportions to Gallas that is my preferred team.

92. London says:

Evening Kelsey

May I ask what is your prefered team?

Evening to you to London.

I guess you can’t better that team. Eduardo and Walcott don’t warrant a starting place at the moment, Vela (I am not sure if he is injured) and apart from Silvestre the only defensive cover are Campbell and Traore and possibly Eastmond.Gallas, I understand is out. The little Russian will have the perfect stage on Wednesday to show off his talent, I hope.

All in all a good selection. I have omitted Rosicky as I feel he might play but instead of whom i don’t know.though it may well be diaby

94. Rasputin says:

Sol’s our Champion’s League Talisman … he’s bound to score :P

Since 2 games a week is too much for the poor old fella, I’m guessing that London’s team will be the one that takes to the pitch.

Rasp, have you murdered peaches ;)

96. London says:

I wouldn’t be upset if Sol plays his powers to inspire are second to none and as you say this would enable Song to play in the midfield which has huge advantages.

97. london thats next season team
    plz no denilson

98. Rasputin says:

Hi kelsey,

I think she’s behind London’s sofa ;)

99. Mayank says:

Song offers no real pace over and above Sol’s. I’d rather play a deepish backline with Sol and Song in DM. He adds so much to our MF there.
    If we play a slightly reserved game and keep possession we’ll be that much closer to a clean sheet.

Keep a clean sheet at the Grove and we’ll definitely go through. After all I’m sure we keep the best possesion away from home in Europe.

But is it too much to hope that Wenger apporaches this tactically rather than footballistically.

100. London says:

Hi RSD

I don’t share the collective fear of Denilson.

101. London says:

Barça hold no fear for me, as soon as the draw was announced I thought we had a better chance of winning the EPL and was deeply disappointed by the team selection that to me prioritised Wednesday’s game. The CL is a cup competition in which anything can happen but the EPL…….we had that one in our hands.

102. Rasputin says:

Mayank,

You raise a very interesting point (opportunity for a post for you here London). Arsène is universally acknowledged as a brilliant manager – but never a master tactician. Maybe the oft quoted ‘lack of a plan B’ is something deliberate. Maybe he only sees the need for one plan and one tactic …. put out the best side he can (for games he sees as important) and play football the ‘Arsenal Way’. Certainly, the times when he appears to select a side to negate rather than create, we often come a cropper.

103. London says:

Denilson played very well on Saturday when Nasri and Arshavin came on……prior to that Fabregas due to his injury was a virtual passenger, Walcott was a waste of space and with Song in defence……Denilson the poor sod was trying to do the job of three players and I didn’t think he did a bad job of it.

104. London says:

The thing is I don’t really disagree with Mayank he makes a good point that there is not that bigger difference in the pace of Sol and Song….I can live with either one at the back. As I said before it is going to be interesting to see who Wenger picks.

105. Mayank says:

Wenger’s already said that Sol won’t play 2 games in a week. Is Silvestre a possibility? We’re gonna need Song to tackle their (depleted?) midfield.

106. London says:

I can’t see him going for Silvestre, that would be left foot and left foot with Vermaelen. If Wenger has already ruled out Sol then it is Song and the Vermanator at the back.

107. Mayank says:

That’s a shame… Anyway nite London and Rasp.

108. Rasputin says:

Night Mayank …. 2 days to go …..

109. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Adebayor couldn’t score in a brothel :lol:

110. Rasputin says:

Hi gg,

At least citeh are winning 2 nil – so pressure on totnum :)

111. London says:

Wow, that’s flashy up there.

112. your can say denilson had hard job on sat i’ll give you that.
    i dont fear him playing but also dont see what he adds. he’s a fine squad player thats it tho and for a game v barca iwould rather not have him start
    a song cesc diaby mid is it

113. Rasputin says:

Well London, I thought a momentous occasion merited a special banner….. We are about to make history after all ….

114. London says:

Nice one, see y’all tomorrow

Theres a NEW POST