An Arsenal Supporter in New York

I had an interesting experience in New York not so long ago. Arriving late at night I went straight to sleep and woke early to make my way to a bar that I had already made certain was showing the Wigan game. There is always an enjoyable culture shock when first arriving in NY but making my way to see Arsenal and seeing people in Arsenal shirts walking towards 2nd Avenue at 10 in the morning made it even more surreal than usual.

The best way I can explain my feelings on entering the bar, which is called Nevada Smith’s by the way, is to compare it to an experience of going on the Ghost Train when I was a child: you sit on a carriage and move very slowly towards a door and than suddenly you go though and everything is very dark except for flashes of strange light, you feel a bit scared by the unfamiliar surroundings. But, then you start to focus and the first thing I saw was a huge flag on the wall with the words “New York Gunners” and then I noticed the bar was full of people wearing Arsenal shirts which naturally put me at ease.

The game started the goals started flowing and this bar started singing, in fact, they started singing after half an hour and didn’t stop until the end of the game. Being a cynical old bastard I was thinking that of course we should be beating Wigan but these people were celebrating with a happy innocence that made me feel slightly envious. There were little groups of girls there in their Arsenal shirts and when someone made a tackle they went started jumping up and down (an interception in American football is a big deal) The thought also crossed my mind that I have heard that it is hard to find a single heterosexual man in New York but I didn’t realise that girls had to go to that extreme, I jest of course.

I found myself sitting there, and the place was packed with gooners by the way, when I realised I could overhear two New Yorkers talking about the team, yet again feeling superior in my knowledge of all thing Arsenal I was humbled by how I found myself agreeing with them, they were expressing the need for a new goal keeper and another centre forward; although, this was not said in the cynical kind of way we are familiar in blogsphere this was said with a helpful innocence. I was a good win and a great experience but I will leave you with this…..when it comes to surreal thoughts can you imagine a bar full of gooners singing “There is only one Arsène Wenger”……. IN AMERICAN ACCENTS!

By London

177 Responses to An Arsenal Supporter in New York

London – I love the idea of ‘one Arsene Wenger’ being sung by american accents

2. nutcracker says:

Arsenal Arsenal from New York New Yourk eh?

3. nutcracker says:

York

4. Livers says:

Good story mate, I go to the cricket a lot away with England (barmy army and all that) and it’s amazing how many locals stop you to chat about Arsenal if you have a something of an Arsenal top / shorts et al..

First went to Oz in 02/03 and most supporters were mainly Liverpool with Arsenal and Utds scattered about. In 06/07 it was nearly all Arsenal esp in Sydney….. Go to any of the Caribbean islands and Arsenal is in most bars and everyone has an opinion. Not always right mind ;-) but their interest is amazing.

I just came back from Cape Town for the 3rd test and watched the West Ham v Arsenal in the Waterfront pub. I thought I was the only Gooner in there as no-one seems to be paying much attention during the game. So West Ham score and a few Leeds boys cheered (bare in mind they were already pished at the news they’d just beaten ManIOU… However, when Arsenal scored the cheers… well it surprised me no end as usually in South Africa it’s only the black folk who watch it..

Be surprised… be very surprised at this years World Cup :-)

5. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, London what you’ve just said reminds me of a time I was sitting in a café on Holloway Road after an Arsenal members day. Behind me I heard a family of northerners talking about getting about London by tube and other such travel-related issues in broad Lancastrian tones – so I naturally assumed they were merely clod-hopping northern monkey tourists in the big smoke.
    But I turned round and they were all in the red and white of our beloved team – I found that unbelievable in a similar way to your experience.

6. Morning Livers – are you going to the World Cup by any chance……..

7. chaf says:

Morning AA Anonymousness’s

Interesting story London, Almost sounds like someone from Manchester walking into a bar in Hampstead.

8. Bill says:

Hmm, thanks for the pat on the head. I thought we had gotten past shock, feigned or otherwise, that there are passionate, sophisticated fans in other countries, much less new york, where English football fans have been filling bars (not just nevadas) at all hours of the day for more than a decade. A level of commitment you’ll be hard pressed to find anywhere in London, that’s for sure.

9. Livers says:

Morning Peaches – Not going to the world cup, I have 6 mates who are though.

I can’t get excited about supporting England and wanting Rooney, terry, Cole, Rio et al to do well although obviously will be supporting them..

I tend to follow the cricket away more as you go to more exotic places.

Went to the grounds in PE, Cape Town and Soccer City in Joburg though and the grounds are finished….. the surrounding area’s however leave a lot to be desired with most grounds only having one road in and out without public transport ! Gonna be interesting to say the least

10. charybdis1966 says:

Bill, I think in the UK we still have the perception that most Americans view football as a game for school age girls and there are 3 other major spectator sports to follow(American football, baseball & Ice hockey) so interest will be minimal. Having said that I have written match reports for a very good Seattle/Tacoma based blogger on a site called 7amkickoff.com, the level of commitment there can’t be faulted.

11. Rasputin says:

Morning all,

Thanks for that London, sadly I’m not well travelled and so that was an interesting insight. I could hear the Jay Z & Alicia Keys – Empire State Of Mind, going through my head whilst reading.

Hi Bill, don’t be like that! the article was generous in it’s content not condescending. I think London was slightly deriding himself by pointing out that his previous misconceptions about the passion and quality of ‘foreign supporters’ were incorrect.

12. Livers says:

Charybdis – It is after all the Americans who have sold the most tickets for the World Cup ahead of Germany then England

13. Rasputin says:

At the risk of sounding anti-American – which I’m not (sorry Bill), I wonder why football is not as big in America as most of the rest of the world? I appreciate they have Baseball and Basketball which are huge, but I think it may go deeper. They didn’t invent the game and it is controlled by other countries. The Americans didn’t buy the Harrier Jump Jet or Concorde even though they were fantastic technology, so I suspect there is an element of politics involved.

14. Rasputin says:

I guess everyone’s read the reports that RvP may be back earlier than expected. I think the idea that he will be able to play the last 6 games of the season plus any CL games is optimistic in the extreme – hope I’m wrong.

15. Livers says:

Rasputin. Simple answer because they’re not the best at it.

They follow Womens football a lot because they are the best.

Saying that, as previously stated they have sold the most tickets for this years World Cup

16. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers – I’d like Robin back for the Man Shitty game at the very least – revenge on the Togo Twat and all that.

17. Rasputin says:

I agree Livers, that’s the conclusion I have reached too. Having said that, I think the US world cup team is pretty strong and that game is not going to be easy.

18. Livers says:

The Van Persie stories are coming from Holland and not Arsenal so wouldn’t imagine too much truth in it. Wenger said end of April earliest so would expect that to be the case. 6 weeks to get match fit apparently and he hasn’t started fitness yet..

19. bcgunner says:

rasputin- The English invented baseball, the Canadians basketball and the Americans bought hundreds of Jump Jets. Otherwise spot on.

Go Gunners go

20. Rasputin says:

That’s a good point chary. Maybe LazyB will be banned again for that game too? There is increasing disillusionment about him from the citeh fans. If RSC can start scoring a few and becomes the fans favourite, I can see Ade revealing his true colours.

21. Dave says:

The problem with football in America, I am convinced, is that baseball, basketball and our (terrible) version of football allow for huge amounts of commercial breaks. When the money starts rolling in and ESPN really starts supporting football, the top American athletes will gravitate towards it and things will be better here. Until then, we have to pay premium fees to get Fox Soccer or Setanta on cable if we want to see a match (or we have to learn Spanish and watch the Mexican leagues, which is the same as watching second rate Italian teams, on Telemundo).

22. Rasputin says:

Hi bcgunner, thanks – what do I know? :oops:

23. charybdis1966 says:

BCgunner – well baseball is cricket with only one shot played(a pull shot) to full tosses and the running direction changed(running between 4 points rather than 2), plus you field with gloves, which you don’t in cricket, except for the wicket keeper.

24. Dave says:

Bc gunner – the British invented cricket. Baseball is as American as it gets. A prominant baseball historian once said that baseball became America’s past time because of Babe Ruth. If a character like that came along in football, public interest would soar.

25. gonner chris says:

Hello im going new york at the end of march and was wondering where the pub was that you watched this game.

I would so love to go there and witness the atmosphere that you have spoken about in the article and those new yorkers are soo right..we need a new goalkeeper asap, Akinfeev anyone?! No striker needed now as we have chamakh.

26. charybdis1966 says:

Dave, cricket was quite popular, partucluarly in the eastern seaboard area, of the states in the 19th century.
    I’d suggest it was taken and changed to local tastes/conditions and changed into baseballl in time. Only a guess though – I’m no historian.

27. Wasn’t that supposed to be David Beckams job – making the interest in soccer/football soar in the states

28. gooner chris have a look at this site – bookmark it

Don’t tell rasputin they’ve got the same photo on their page

29. Morning chary – we’re still getting people reading your post :)

30. charybdis1966 says:

Morning Peaches, good to hear that, although I hope you realise I’m far from prolific, actually I’m just lazy !
    Can I plug my 2 match reports for that american site as it’s topical ?

31. Rasputin says:

I officially resign as our aviation correspondent and have withdrawn my application for US Ambassador :P

Sadly it now appears that Cech’s injury was not the ‘end of season ligament type’ so he’ll be back soon, which is a shame because Hillario (sp?) appears to be the only keeper in the prem who’s kickking is worse than our No’s 1 and 2

32. Yes chary of course you can if I can nag you for another post ;)

Rasp – I’ve had a go at tagging, if you go back to the main post you’ll see I’ve tagged Arsenal and Football, if you click on Arsenal it takes you to a WordPress page that has gathered Arsenal blogs, when I did it we were at no4 – my legs were stuck between a grisly bear and a guinea pig :lol:

33. charybdis1966 says:

Thanks Peaches, this is the Bolton game : http://www.7amkickoff.com/2010/%e2%80%9cwe-are-arsenal-we-do-it-the-hard-way%e2%80%9d-7amkickoffs-man-at-the-match-report/

And this is the Sunderland one : http://www.7amkickoff.com/2010/bruce%e2%80%99s-charges-niggle-in-vain/

You can nag me for another but luckily for me I think you’ll have plenty of other contributions available before you get desperate enough to ask for one off of me!

34. charybdis1966 says:

Hey my 11.23am has gone into moderation, help please.

35. charybdis1966 says:

Wow, you were quick. Cheers.

36. Rasputin says:

Plug away chary – do you want to put a link up? The only reason I ask is that for some reason comments with links are going into spam.

37. Rasputin says:

Disregard my last comment – I’m not having a good morning :(

38. charybdis1966 says:

Have donw Raspers – thanks again. So Cech isn;t out for long then? Dam, these Chav mugs are back quicker than expected from injuries, the reverse of our players who tkae ages thne get lots of smaller injuries later.

39. Dave says:

Re: Beckham as Ruth: he helped sell tickets (the San Jose Quakes, at the least, move home games to a much larger stadium in Oakland when Becks comes to town). He raised the profile of the game somewhat over here. He’s also pretty widely considered a washed up douche bag who only came to L.A. because that’s where celebrities go.

If Landon Donovan leads the U.S. to the semifinals in South Africa, football could really pick up, though.

40. Livers says:

If the USA get out of the group stage I’d be surprised

41. Its a shame theres that perception of Beckham – washed up douche bag – because hes still a great ambassador for football.

42. How will the time difference affect the viewing of the World Cup in the states – that’ll have a major influence of whether theres more interest.

43. charybdis1966 says:

Deos he hand out Ferrero Roches at his receptions then Peaches? :)

44. London says:

Morning folks

I have just managed to break away from work, reading above I noticed that other people have hinted at their own unusual Arsenal experiences maybe they might want to write about them? Just a thought.

45. SharkeySure says:

Morning All

Peaches, I think Beckham is a great amabassador for himself. I acknowlege his hard work in making the absolute most of his limited talents, and his work for good causes, but there’s just something about him that grates with me.

I think its his refusal to acknowledge his limitations, and then the sheer hypocrisy of accepting his last ten ‘5min caps’.

If he had any real dignity he’d decline them* knowing that they would dilute your achievement of reaching 100 caps.

* Why does he make 6,000 mile round trips for three days training and a 5 min cameo appearance, he can’t really believe that he’s making a ‘contribution’ can he

46. SharkeySure says:

Great post London

I was once stopped halfway up Sugar Loaf mountain in Brasil by an Argentinian who was a big Arsenal fan, we had Nelson Vivas in those days.

Ps. It wan’t just cos I am the spitting image of Sylvain Wiltord, I did have on an Arsenal shirt at the time ;-)

47. charybdis1966 says:

Morning Feargal – I reckon I’m a spitting image of Carlos Vela’s dad !

48. London says:

Morning Sharkey

That little something that grates on you about Beckham is probably the same thing that grates on the rest of us: he is a Londoner who supports Manu; people like that should be forced to walk around with a label hanging from their neck that reads “tosser”.

49. charybdis1966 says:

Yet another glory-hunting London Red I’m afraid London, they’re 10 a penny wherever I’ve lived for most of my life. It’s strange, I’ve lived in London or the home counties for the last 35 tears and I’m always in the minority, as an Arsenal supporter. There’s always been more Manks and dippers around all the time.

50. Rasputin says:

The truth is that young boys in particular will support the team with the glamour players unless their dad takes them to a game for the local team in which case their footbaling allegiance is set for life. I had to struggle to convince my boys to be gooners because all their mates at school were pool supporters due to Michael Owen etc – so I took them to Highbury as soon as they were old enough – job done!

The moral of the story is; we need world class players (like AA) and home grown talent (Theo?) to recruit young supporters. The number of kids and dads that come into my business wearing Arsenal shirts vastly outnumber totnum despite it being closer to WHL and I bet that is because of the stars we had in the Invincibles era.

51. SharkeySure says:

I hear ya Rasp…but its not optional in my house !!

I’m a gooner you’re a gooner.

Wot next – I let them choose their own religion, whether to go to school or not.

I’m overjoyed that my son has mates at school (here in London) who support Blackburn or Scunthorpe, cos their dads do.

Its the only way Shirley !!

That even goes for the Millwall and Spud kids on his footie team !!

52. Rasputin says:

Has anyone raed this? ….

…..Wayne Bridge rejects England call-up over John Terry affair

Wayne Bridge has escalated his row with John Terry by admitting he cannot bring himself to play in the same England team as the Chelsea captain.

John Terry and Wayne Bridge are unlikely to play together for England again
    ..The Manchester City left-back has told England boss Fabio Capello he is unavailable for next week’s friendly with Egypt and does not want to be considered for the World Cup this summer.

The announcement follows tabloid claims that Terry had an extra-marital affair with Bridge’s former partner Vanessa Perroncel – allegations which cost Terry his job as England captain.

In a statement released this morning, Bridge said: ‘I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks.

‘It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

‘Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection.

‘I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa.’

53. SharkeySure says:

Carlos Vela’s dad Chary…?? I’ll have to google that one. Please forgive me for not knowing what he looks like already !!

54. Rasputin says:

With the possibilty of A’hole being out as well, it looks like England need a left back – are you listening KG?

55. charybdis1966 says:

I’m guessing I look like an older version of Carlos(with a hint of Vivas) really, Feargal. Much older !

56. Livers says:

Rasp, it’s a shame Gibbs is injured as he could have been an outsider for that

57. Definitely you do chary – why would anyone question that :roll:

58. Rasputin says:

Agreed Livers, but didn’t he sustain his injury a couple of months before Cashley – do you know when he is due to resume training? I think he’d have given Clichy a ‘rest’ a couple of times recently if available to us.

59. Blimey – Kieron Gibbs must be gutted – the left-backs are falling like flies and he’s still on crutches I assume………

60. Ian says:

London, I’ve been to Nevada’s a few times when I’ve been over from blighty and I must say it’s always been a good atmosphere. Even the manc that runs the place is a laugh. Hats off to the growing band of N.Y. Gooners, Up The Arse!

61. Franchise says:

morning guys, Chary you look a bit like Fergie. Just a lickle bit ;)

62. @Gooner Chris Nevada Smith’s is located at 3rd Avenue between 11th and 12th St. It’s been my home pub for watching Arsenal for almost 10 years now and I have heard similar comments from visiting Gooners for many years.

This was a great little piece and it’s nice to see someone recognize the enthusiasm for the club of us American Gooners. For more information about the NYC Arsenal Supporters Club, see our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35912514437

63. Rasputin says:

Is that Sarah Ferguson or SAF? :lol:

64. charybdis1966 says:

Hey you two(Raspers/Fran) that’s enough talk of look a likeys! :(

65. Morning ArsenalStation – thanks for the info and welcome to the blog. I did some research last night looking for photos of Nevada Smiths and found several New York based Arsenal blogs.

One of our writers posts match reports on

66. SharkeySure says:

Franchise Says:

February 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm
    morning guys, Chary you look a bit like Fergie. Just a lickle bit
    ——————-

Oh dear !!!

How to win friends and influnece people ‘eh !!

67. charybdis1966 says:

Good news guys – Tom Cruise has signed on for us – cue the scientology related gags….

68. Franchise says:

chary is he on 1k a week? ;)

69. charybdis1966 says:

Dunnow Fran – I would only be guessing. Someone was saying yesterday that youngsters at AFC get £500/wk and £1-4k/wk later on, it’s all speculation really. I’d guess £2k/wk.

70. charybdis1966 says:

But he’ll have to give 50% of whatever he’s on over to L Ron Hubbard of course.

71. Livers says:

Rasp – Gibbs was due to be back in March but then his foot got infected and had to have another op. Out for season it seems…

Get back in May though may be an outside bet

72. @peaches I am more than aware of Tim’s blog. He does a fantastic job. I’ve been forced into limiting the number of posts on Arsenal Station for the last 2 weeks or so, but besides mine and Tim’s blogs, I haven’t seen many other American Arsenal blogs. Feel free to send me some links.

73. TheModGooner says:

Cheers for the mention. I apologize if this is posting a 2nd time, but I’ve not seen it in the comments yet.

I help to organize the Gooners here in NYC.

I know our support takes a lot of people by surprise.

I think over the years what we’re finally beginning to see with digital cable and the internet is regular access to the Premier League. I’ve read many times that in America, the NFL themselves led some sort of media frenzy telling Americans that football was a communist sport. This started back in the 60s because they feared what effect it would have on their market. Ultimately what ended up happening is that you could rarely see any matches, let alone Arsenal on a regular basis. I was fortunate to find a channel broadcasting semi-regularly in the late 90s.

Another thing that we’re also seeing, is now that its on the tele, younger kids are starting to see players to look up to and aspire to be like when they grow older, and are playing from a young age and continuing, as opposed to my age group, that by the time we were 17, we were called “gay” for playing footie. Its a sad bit, but things are changing.

In the meantime, there are a lot of great supporter clubs in America. There’s a great bunch of lads in Baltimore called the Charm City Gooners, out in LA, there are the LA Gooners, and in San Francisco, you have the Bay Area Gooners. These are all real supporters, not just a bunch of “soccer yanks”.

There’s also some great Arsenal blogs here in NYC like Arsenal Station and The Modern Gooner.

Like anything else, here in America there will be plastic support from some, and we accept that, but aside from our American accents, we support the Arsenal properly just like you lot, and whether Adebayor thinks we’re proper or not (see his comments pre-season), we’ve supported the same win or lose.

So Cheers from NYC, and an open invitation to all on here to come watch the Arsenal with us. Come on you REDS!

74. KING GOONER says:

The GOONER EMPIRE IS EVEYWHERE-YOU’D BE SUPRISED the level of support for our beloved gooners is worldwide -no matter what the MANURE loving media will tell you about them-for ex belfast-norn iron had at one stage over 2,000 mem?bers in belfast alone!-there are supporter groups all over ireland.how many blogs are there dedicated to arsenal compared to other clubs?we are in my opinion as well supported worldwide as MANURE or the dippers-if you travel you’ll notice our fame..

Welcome to AA King Gooner.

There are as you say AFC fans everywhere. Here in Denmark, they not only have a club and a website but also their own Monthly magazine!

And why? Because once a person grows out of glory hunting and wants to watch decent football they naturally gravitate towards the mighty Gunners.

Very enjoyable read London.

I have watched AFC in bars all over the world. My favourite was in Bangkok – for reasons best kept to myself ;-)

77. lol, BR

best place i have watched an arsenal game is in mumbai… very surreal experience.

I was in Goa for the CL Final, and Mumbai for a couple of games prior. As you say – surreal.

The surprise for me was that there was far more interest in football in Mumbai than Goa. Maybe due to the “herbal” attractions in Goa

79. and it was the chelski semi final from last season.. we lost… but the whole experience made up for it.. just.

80. Comrade23 says:

@Arsenal Station: Mike, have you forgotten The Modern Gooner? ; )

81. spaced out zombies in goa… spent a good 3 weeks out there last summer.

mubai is very westernised, as you know, so more a drink culture… which as you say, is more suited to enjoying a game of football with friends.

Thinking of Mumbai, and rather off subject. Have you read “Shantaram” SH ?

Fine beach reading.

And f there are any chaps who like to read subjects other than Arsenal, can I highly recommend “Wolfs Hall by Hilary Mantel . It is totally engrossing.

83. charybdis1966 says:

Radders – is that the writer who did the story about the Piscine guy?

84. London says:

The story I would like to read is what Kelsey’s day was like when we beat spuds at WHL to win the league; he often mentions it but I would really like to know all the little details. So if your reading Kelsey ;)

85. London says:

Yann Martell wrote “Life of Pi”

Which one Chary? Not sure what you mean by “piscine”. Shantaram is written by an Ozzie living in Mumbai. A mate of Madonna’s and a Kabbalist

You would love Wolf’s Hall. Right up your strasse.

87. TheModGooner says:

Cheers for the mention. I help to organize the Gooners here in NYC.

I know our support takes a lot of people by surprise.

88. Boz says:

Where is dankenstein when you need him?

Thanks ModG. May well take you up on the offer.

Boz.

Can you explain?

91. London says:

What a great comment ModGooner.

That was the thing I learnt and brought back with me from NY, the fact that you lot are serious.

London. I guess you were too young to be at WHL. I was locked out and would love to read Kelsey’s reminiscences.

93. no not read that particular book, BR

actually… now that you mention that game in 2004 when we beat the spud to lift the league on their manor….

i was watching that on a small 15 inch telly in a beach bar out in albufeira… and the celebrations on the strip later that night bring back a smile to my face.

happy days… they will return.

94. charybdis1966 says:

Radders, it’s about an Indian kid who’s a keen swimmer and stays adrift after his ship sinks.

95. London says:

BR

I was on the pitch at the end ;)

96. Rasputin says:

Guys,

Unfortunately TheModGooner’s comment was sent over an hour ago and went into moderation due to the links, so it is possible he may not be around to read your replies. America is 5 hours (I think) behind us, it’s late morning there so hopefully TMG will come back on.

Congratulations London, you have opened up a whole new range of transatlantic bloggers for us. Look out for tomorrow’s banner in recognition!

97. SharkeySure says:

Life of Pi – wot a book…NOT.

A colleague at work rated it as a great book, I just didn;tget it.

Every couple of days he’d ask me if the story had turned yet..it never ever did, well not for me anyway.

Likewise with the God of Small Things, another ‘great book’ that I just couldn’t get my head round. I chucked it after about 150 pages so I had really given it a good go.

98. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah, that’s the one Feargal. I was given a talking book of that and found it heavy going. I prefer the Red Dwarf books – I like a good crease-up.

99. charybdis1966 says:

West Coast(Pacific Time they call it) is 8 hours behind Raspers

We respectfully disagree SS

I think the “God of Small Things” is among the best 5 books I have ever read, and I read all the time.

London. You must have been in you Dad’s arms ;-)

101. Rasputin says:

Thanks again chary, this has been my day for getting my facts wrong.

102. Franchise says:

SIG im male, black with black hair but blonde pubes and armpit hair

103. Franchise says:

oh no :D wrong site lool

104. charybdis1966 says:

You been on those dating sites again Fran?

105. Franchise says:

most random comment to appear after your highly intellectual conversation that was going on

these American would think Im crazy. Peaches defend me :D

106. charybdis1966 says:

You weren’t wrong Raspers, there are 4 time zones in the states so I just listed the one most behind us. The other 3 are Mountain, Eastern Standard and another one I can’t remember.

LOL Chary. I was thinking the same, or maybe Franchise was “fishing”.

108. Franchise says:

Big Raddy it was the super hero in me trying to prevent a barrage of blonde jokes on some other Arsenal blog site ;)

109. Mayank says:

I don’t know why but I find the idea of mountain time hilarious.
    God of small things is a good book.
    Oh by the way, great post!

110. SharkeySure says:

Disagreement respectfully accepted Raddy !!

There was thing annoyong phrase relating to ‘lemonysnickety’ or something like that. In the trip to the cinema (?) it was really getting overused ie used to describe theice cream, the taste of ot, and the man who sold it, if my memory serves me right.

It was used so often in a short space that I just gave up hope.

At that point I got the impression that the writer was writing for their own amusement.

Vikram Seths – ‘A Suitable Boy’…now thats a book, ‘Roots’ by Alex Haley likewise.

111. SharkeySure says:

The other one might be ‘Central’ Chary

112. Hi Franchise – sorry honey I’m not at liberty to remove comments – we’re a liberal bunch here.

Blonde pubes – now I’m interested – meet me for a beer before the Burnley game ;)

113. Franchise says:

peaches i dont want you to remove it just defend me when they say Im crazy

114. charybdis1966 says:

Peaches, he probably means greying pubes.
    Feargal – yeah, that’s the one.

115. Franchise says:

yeah chary it might be as a result of my golden eye they appear blonde :D

116. Comment of the day Fran :lol:

117. Mayank says:

For you Fran,

118. Mayank says:

Don’t read too much into the lyrics though, depressing…

119. charybdis1966 says:

LOL Fran, but I agree with you, I’ve always liked blondes in my dating days so feel the stick they get is unneccessary. Fond memories being rekindled there.

120. I’m not really here just digging Fran out of trouble – carry on your literary chat…………

SH. Agree entirely about Suitable Boy. Try Shantaram … look it up on Amazon.

Fran. Likely story…….

Chary. That’s one of the reasons I am in Scandi ;-)

123. charybdis1966 says:

I’m not so good on the literary things, anyone into Austro-germanic symphonies of the late 19th century? Thought not.

124. Franchise says:

is that so chary

well im moving over

http :// www. scandi-airways/booking/pass-details-franchise-confirmed-no-return/aspx

Clearly a quiet football day !

The possibility of an RvP return. The Wayne Bridge saga..

Eriksen of Ajax (whom I wrote about last year) linked with AFC (highly unlikely).

Other than that – zilch

126. Franchise says:

that was to raddy not chary

127. charybdis1966 says:

Radders/Fran –you guys know what I’m talking about, oh yeah.

128. Franchise says:

yeah we need a game to spice things up in the blogosphere

Fran. You would be a babe magnet over here!!

130. SharkeySure says:

“Austro-germanic symphonies”

You should have asked melast week Chary…I was crazy about them then.

Lost the love this week…not sure why though ;-)

131. We have a new guest blogger tomorrow……..

Anyone watch the Chavs last night? Unfortunately they look a different class to Inter.
    And it was sad to see the formerly great Samuel Eto’o look so out of sorts. Lost his pace and power.

133. Franchise says:

peaches can i write a blog?

i might have to do it under sedatives to tone it down

134. I’ve put the links up to the American Blogs in the blog roll – so if you’re bored you can have a look at their stuff.

135. charybdis1966 says:

Dam it, my timing’s off as usual Feargal.
    You couldn’t deal with the extended adagios I guess.

136. Franchise says:

I thought so Raddy. Chelsea are very strong unit.

137. Franchise – of course you can with or without sedatives. Send it to arsenalnuts@aol.com – we have the final word so keep it clean 8O

Irish is going to be so happy to see me using 8O

Excellent Fran. I look forward to reading it.

139. Mayank says:

I’m sure even Everton would finish at least 2nd in the Italian league right now, sad, sad stuff.

140. Rasputin says:

We need big to play on Saturday. When Delap sends in a long throw, Stoke position big players to block the keeper. We need a man mountain like Sol to stand his ground or knock them out the way to claim the header – that’s not one of Gallas’ strengths.

Mayank. In that case, the Spuds could finally win a League!!

142. Hey rasp – someone found us using you as their search ;)

I agree Ras. I would play Sol on Saturday and Diaby if fit

144. charybdis1966 says:

If I was Wenger I’d instruct our players to use the towel for throw ins also, not because they need to, but to inconvenience the Stoke players in the way we are by this delay – plus it might piss them off a bit, which is all god in my book. Also, can we not stand a player on the touchline opposite where Delap will throw from, I wonder if this is allowed by the rules though but I saw this done to us by another team yonks ago.

145. Franchise says:

I would not disappoint Raddy hopefully

146. Didn’t someone try to use the towel recently for their own throw-in and the ‘towel monitor’ wouldn’t let them

147. Rasputin says:

It is allowed chary. Keown suggesetd this when he wrote the article about dealing with Delap’s long throws. The player would need to be something like 2 yards away, but could jump up and down and try to put him off. The danger is that he could get a ball in the face at 30mph.

148. charybdis1966 says:

That can’t be right Peaches, for the towel to be allowed I thought it had to be made available for both teams.

149. Rasputin says:

That is correct peaches. The ball boys had been instructed not to give the towel to opposition players. In that instance Stoke were losing and so they wasted their own time.

150. Actually Arshavin on springy shoes jumping in front of Delap would make a great sketch :lol:

151. SharkeySure says:

“extended adagios” … Exactement mom ami

Y..a..w..n !!
    ;-)

152. Chary – rasp – you’ll have to battle that one out between you

153. Rasputin says:

Here’s a better idea, Song and Diaby could grab a leg each and throw ‘lofty’ into the air to intercept the throw as they do in rugby lineouts.

154. charybdis1966 says:

Some of my favourite ones come in at 28-32 minutes long Feargal, not to everyone’s liking.
    Raspers, I think it would be worth a go – why make things easy for him? If it puts him off a bit I’m sure we can afford one of our midget midfielders to distract/annoy him just inside the touchline as they’re hardly going to be missed for their aerial ability in the box.
    I think I recall football focus doing a spot on Delap and that waa one of the questions, the legality of the towel and the answer was tha tit was ok if both teams could have use of it.

155. I’ve just realised that with no Irish around we haven’t mentioned Rosexy for days 8O

156. Rasputin says:

You are correct chary, but the ball boy was reluctant so the opposition player just stood there until he eventually handed it over. It is ridiculous anyway, a towel should not be allowed. Let them use their shirts if they want, at least that would not waste so much time.

157. charybdis1966 says:

I reckon the answer is to score early so Pullis’ pugilists won’t want to waste time mucking around with the towel.

Anyhoo – it’s been an education today, I’ll see you all next time.

158. Rasputin says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it the case that we’ve only scored in the first 15 minutes once this season?

Have a good evening chary ;)

159. i’m not so sure inter won’t get past chelski

chelsea have the away goal, this is a good advantage.. but the key to chelski is drogba, and with lucio and samuel defending for the italians… also with a usually great keep in cesar.. chelski will struggle to score in the 2nd leg… inter will play deep and go on the counter..

unless chelski score very early, they wont qualify imo.

if it’s 0-0 at HT.. it will get nervy for chelski, JM teams know how to defend a lead.. and with the kind of goalie and defenders at his beck and call.. he can perfect the ideal strategy.

160. SharkeySure says:

Cheers Chary….

161. ryandanielwood says:

Interesting and cultural article. Like many others have posted, I too have had a similar feeling of cross continent Gooner appreciation. Until that day the closest thing I had been aware of relating to worldwide interest in an English club, were the global merch sales figures on Football Manager.

I was in Canada at the time, and I had a momentous day ahead of me. May 17th 2006. With my interest in the Arsenal game that evening immeasurable in importance. I pleaded with my travelling friends to take me out to a bar where the game was being screened.

I don’t know whether it was the hype of the Champions League final or the true contingent of Arsenal Fans lobbying for coverage of their teams historical moment.
    But we had no trouble finding a bar screening the game. And I had no trouble finding a pocket of anticipating Gooners to mingle and debate every decision with.
    Of course I and the hundreds of crammed Red and White jerseys (as they call them) had only heartbreak in store. But the tearful scenes were a little easier for myself to endure, as I had found a part of Vancouver, that on prior knowledge had never existed.

Good story Ryan – shame about the ending !

SH. I respectfully disagree with you. Once again we will see the power of the Chav machine overcome weaker opponents. Apart from the CB’s, Inter lack real power, hence their low possession percentage.

That said, I would love us to sign Maicon

163. Evening Ryan – you must have come on just as everyone was going home :(

I think SH has a point Raddy – Drogba really didn’t get a look in last night and Jose will ask them to produce the same again.

We shall see Peaches.

Sat post?

165. Its all yours Raddy

I don’t know if I should be grateful !

167. I know you’ve already produced a masterpiece this week but it would be marvelous if you could do another ;)

168. Rasputin says:

In recognition of London’s fine article and our new found American friends, I have put up a new banner for a day or two.

169. Hey peaches… thanks for the add. You’ve got a great thing going here. I also put up a link to ArsenalArsenal on Arsenal Station.

170. London says:

We have a new contributer tomorrow…..this is interesting.

I hope Franchise does a post, preferably with all guns blazing; I’m not sure why he thinks he needs to hold back.

171. @Rasputin… the banner is great. We really appreciate you helping spread the word about all the “Gooner love” we’ve got here in NYC. Cheers to all of you!!!

172. Rasputin says:

ArsenalStation, my pleasure and happy blogging.

London, I agree regarding Franchise’s post. As we know, it takes a fair amount of bottle to put up your first post and be judged – hopefully he’ll lead the way and many others will follow.

173. Hey rasp – love the americanisation :)

Do I have orders – sorry I had a very nice glass of red and sat down…….big mistake :oops:

We have a NEW POST by a new blogger and guest writer

175. Gary says:

As a proud member of the New York Arsenal Supporter’s Club who reularly attends Nevada Smith’s, I can only say, you are welcome to come back any time!