We won … but can we win?

On the face of it a victory and 3 points gained on manu courtesy of a 3:1 defeat by Everton was just what the doctor ordered – so why was the atmosphere at the game subdued and the walk home to the station characterised by head shaking and hushed tones? The answer is simple; playing like that, we’re not going to win anything.

The team selection was positive, with Almunia back in goal and Ramsey featuring in midfield in place of Denilson. The inclusion of Eboué was greeted with enthusiasm by fans who a year ago would have groaned in disbelief – and he didn’t disappoint.

The pattern of the game was familiar. Sunderland had set their team up with negative intent. Same old boring tactic, pack the defence and try to get lucky on the break – and it almost worked when Kenwyne Jones got through one on one with Almunia and should have equalised but pulled his shot wide. Craig Gordon was timewasting when taking his goal kicks from the start but unsurprisingly managed to execute them much more quickly once they went a goal down. Darren Bent was wasted playing out wide and hardly featured in the game.

We had plenty of possession and created a few chances, but lacked the cutting edge up front. We really need a striker who can spearhead the attack, Chamakh will be most welcome. Players were receiving the ball out wide but crosses seldom found an Arsenal shirt often because there wasn’t one in the danger area.

The exception was Emmanuel Eboué who gave one of his best performances albeit peppered with the occasional sortie into am dram. He was quick, direct and threatening whenever he received the ball. The way he battled to squeeze the pass through to Bendtner for the first goal was typical of his performance throughout the match. The Dane should be very grateful for such an easy tap-in as his first touch had deserted him a few minutes earlier when in front of a virtually open goal and lost vital seconds only succeeding in finding a defender instead of the beckoning net.

The pattern of the second half was much the same as the first up until the all too familiar last 15 minutes when Sunderland actually showed some endeavour and gave us a few  tense moments. At this point, I, like a lot of fans around me thought that 1:1 was the most likely outcome. Thankfully we could relax when late on Cesc ran towards the box and invited a rash challenge by Campbell. It looked like a soft penalty and may have even been outside the box, but we are overdue a touch of generosity from a referee!!! The resultant penalty was dispatched low into the bottom right corner by our captain. Three points secured.

I do not propose to give player ratings but would make the following observations:

Almunia – did OK but does not inspire confidence and once again was indecisive and hesitant when coming for the ball on occasion.

Clichy – had a much better game, kept it simple and concentrated on defending.

Sylvestre – coped for the most part with a poor Sunderland side, but give me Sol any day.

Nasri – he is a very clever and skillful player and provided a lot of the quality on show.

Eboué – my MotM, without his contribution I doubt we would have won.

Cesc – he worries me. He played well but seems to have lost some heart. He needs quality players around him otherwise his talent is wasted and may be lost back to his home country.

Bendtner – he worked hard but often drifted wide and left the middle unattended. He still lacks confidence in front of goal.

Arsène – good team selection, but it was ridiculous to bring on Denilson with a couple of minutes to go. He wasn’t up with the pace of the game and just added an extra nervy 30 seconds to the injury time.

Apologies for this hastily thrown together report, it was going to be written by another author but sadly events have made that impossible. There’s plenty to disagree with – it’s only my opinion. I’m delighted we won, but realistic that we need to improve on this performance if we want to be in contention for the title at the end of the season.

103 Responses to We won … but can we win?

Good report rasp it wasn’t a very exciting game and we need to be able to win boring as well as swashbuckling.

For those who only saw MOTD its amazing how the editing can make you think that Theo has arrived ;)

Good read Rasputin.

It was strange that Bruce chose to play Bent in that position. As was seen later in the game, when Sunderland attacked us, they had enough to give our defence problems.

I think our nerves were due to recent history rather than being under the cosh (not really ;-) )

And we don’t have to raise our game particularly to win the PL. APart from MC and the Spuds we face teams that will lose to a team playing as well as we did yesterday.

What we really need is for MU and the Chavs to self destruct

Once again, excellent graphics.

5. Del Boy says:

they really did that peaches? he was largely anonymous

6. Meneurdejeu says:

Mornin

I second the comment above regarding Theo Walcott. He lacks technical ability and an end product. For a championship chasing club, we have a low wage ceiling. If Theo is reportedly on 60,000 quid a week as I believe I saw in one of the British papers, Arshavin should earn 20 fold. A quality fullback with pace will always stop him. Evra and Cole both have done with ease.

Arsene finally got the team selection somewhat right today with Ramsey starting ahead of the World Class Denilson. I cringe everytime I see the Brazilian in the starting lineup. He does not trackback, smiles like a smurf, lacks bottle and passes sideways.
    You cannot win a trophy with Denilson as a regular starter. What does Wenger see in him? He played 50 games last year?!?!? Ferguson screamed at Jonny Evans at halftime of the Milan game after one mistake. Why do we allow mediocrity at our club?

Silvestre, Walcott, Denilson???????????

Arsene thinks fans are fools. But he’s got a Board who love his approach.

Can anyone tell me if Kroenke takes over our club, will he be forced to buy the missing pieces?

7. Rasputin says:

Morning Raddy,

I could have written a completely different report after watching MotD – the 90 minute Emirates perspective was somewhat less rosy!

Chelsea look rock solid so I’m not expecting us to catch them, but manu on the other hand are there for the taking. As has been said many times, without Rooney they are just average, he looked tired yesterday hence the result.

8. Morning Del Boy

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

9. Livers says:

Morning peeps. I think Walcott got highlighted because of his pace against McCartney who is probably the slowest player I’ve seen since Teddy Sheringham..

Eboue really is a great option as an attacking right back compared to the reserved Sagna. Although with Sagna don’t think they’d have created the one on ones as Vermaelen was trying to cover leaving Silvestre marking the one man through the middle…

I’d settle for these nervy wins. But 2 clean sheets on a trot in the league will give them more and more confidence.

It’s be nice if we all clicked again like the early part of the season. Points will be picked up with Utd’s and Chelsea’s run in we have to make sure we get something at Stoke next week though and I reckon a monkey will be off the boys back..

10. tommystout says:

Nothing to say on Theo, Rasp?
    Hope we hit form soon, nervousness donesn’t figure for championship hopefuls!

11. Morning Raddy and welcome Meneurdejeu

I am really surprised at the chavs this season, I thought they were going to struggle with their ageing squad – just goes to show that experience is worth more than headless youth.

In his interview yesterday in The Times Sol Campbell reckons that AW will add some experience to the squad in the summer.

12. Rasputin says:

Morning Meneurdejeu,

I completely agree about Theo. If he could learn to be more adventurous from Eboue and pick up some technical skills from Nasri when in tight situations he could mature into the player we want him to be.

I like Ramsey. The performances he has produced for Wales have been phenomenal. If he had the sort of run of games that Denilson has enjoyed, he would have grown into that midfield role and we may not be so worried about the prospect of losing Cesc.

13. Rasputin says:

Morning tommy,

I thought it was aq typical Theo performance. A couple of scintilating runs characterised by pace, several runs that came to nothing with misplaced passes, a poor first touch on a couple of occassions and overall a feeling of slight disappointment.

14. His pace was pretty awesome though – is that enough? It could be enough to terrify mid-table teams but as we’ve seen the Coles and the Evras aren’t falling for it.

If Capello wants pace and no end product hes got it in Theo.

15. jimn8 says:

Good to see Ramsey included, but if all Walcott is just pace, is he worth a place? – I am sure that he is trying Wenger’s patience …

Well surprisingly I disagree about Theo. I have maintained that Theo needs a run of games to get going. He has had two now and look at the improvement.

I firmly believe that his season will end triumphantly – if AW plays him (and he will).

This idea that Theo cannot spot a pass is not true. That he overhits crosses and gets “the rabbit in the headlights” is however true at the moment. His end product leaves much to be desired, but these are confidence issues…. the lad has too much adrenalin !

Capello is enough of a fan to come to the Emirates and watch him, that says enough for me, unless he came to see Bent, in which case he will have left very disappointed!

Welcome Jimn8.

I agree, Ramsey will be the Real Deal and one of the top players of his generation

18. Rasputin says:

If all Walcott has is pace, he’s a 70th minute substitute. He has to develop the ability to get past players with more than just pace to go to the next level.

If you look at game programs, Theo’s picture appears more than any other player. The PR department see him as a highly marketable commodity. I scoured dozens of programs to find a single picture of Eboue.

19. Arsene is obviously backing him to come good and I think it will be interesting to see if he stays injury free until the end of the season whether he develops into the player we want him to be.

The problem with his pace is that he doesn’t know how to deal with it himself – the rest of the team don’t keep up when he goes on a run and he doesn’t have the skills to slow himself down, beat the man and then accelerate away. Needs to watch Thierry – actually they all need to watch Thierry doing it for us and then they can work on it as a team.

20. Rasputin says:

I hope Theo improves Raddy. The thing that Eboue did yesterday that Theo and others didn’t was to look up and try to pick out a player in the box. Crosses from Theo, Nik and Sagna etc were often just hopeful rather than directed.

21. Irishgunner says:

I think Theo did okay yesterday – he tried hard and worried them with his pace. However, I think Eboue helped him out a lot, made him look better because all the threat was coming down our right but it was mainly Eboue and not Walcott causing the trouble. Sagna is horrible going forward so if it was he and Theo, would Theo had looked so good?

22. London says:

Morning all, can’t stick around, just wanted to say top report Rasp and add my tupence worth.

I agree with most…….certainly with Bendtner, Eboue and Walcott but Fabrégas, who I know from experience is slightly more difficult to write about than most people probably assume, I saw slightly different. I was particularly harsh on him on the week but with hindsight I now see that I missed an important point. With the absence of Song and the presence of the ineffectual Denilson, our Catalan Captain was, in fact, trying to do the job of three players which was difficult for someone even as good as he, the result was that his passing game suffered.

By contrast, yesterday with the return of Song, he was able to concentrate on his own game and he was, in my opinion, at his best. He was the orchestra leader in the middle of the park dictating the flow of the whole game, so much so that I mentally ear marked him as joint man of the match.

I say joint because I give that award for a player who plays over and above his normal level of talent and as you know Eboue certainly did that. I like the way Wenger subbed him with three minutes I suspect he realised that it would do Eboue’s confidence the world of good to receive a standing ovation from sixty thousand fans and that is exactly what he got, many of which, myself included, standing there clapping with more than just a tad of guilt caused from our behaviour last season.

I said my award for MOTM was shared as it was but with three rather than two; the other person who would have got it was Song: he was immaculate; his day to me was epitomised by his tackle three minutes from time when Sunderland were pouring forward and the ball broke: three big Sunderland players slid for the loose ball as did Song, there was only going to be one winner and it weren’t the Makhams. It was the determination of Song to win the ball against the odds that gives me a great deal of encouragement for our run in to the end of the season.

23. Livers says:

Just a comment about Chelsea looking rock solid. Sure a 2-0 victory looks solid. But Wolves had far more clear cut chances yesterday than Sunderland did….

A few years back there’s no way Wolves would have had those chances against Chelsea. I still think we’re in for a few surprises at the top. Chelsea have Utd and Liverpool away still as well as Spurs away and City. I bet they drop a lot of points there. If we can keep our end of the bargain and beat the lower league sides we’ll be in with a shout last few weeks… All ifs and buts I know but we should be capable of it

24. Actually Arshavin does try to keep up with Theo on a run as we’ve seen a couple of times before.

25. Rasputin says:

Hi Irish,

I think that’s a very fair assessment. For the first tiome I can remeber yesterday, Theo’s name was not greeted with the ‘extra enthusiasm’ when the MC introduced the team at the start of the game.

It’s very simple, bloggers/analysts/commentators don’t change your opinion of a player – the only one who can do that is the player themselves by their performances. Some are losing patience with Theo. He did OK yesterday, but we had hoped for more.

26. Rasputin says:

Hi London,

Hope things are OK with you.

What I particularely liked about Song yesterday was that he make a couple of bad passes that went straight to the opposition, but chased down and won back the ball and set us back into attacking mode. The offensive side of his game has improved no end and he made some very good forward runs into Sunderland’s box.

I forgot that Song tackle. It was suprb. He had a super game yesterday.

Let us assume that Wilshere and Ramsey continue their development….. AW is going to have a headache finding our best starting 11. !

Where will he play Diaby, Song, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cesc, Nasi, Denilson, Merida, Lansbury, Rosicky ??

The future is Bright, the future is Arsenal :-)

28. Irishgunner says:

“bloggers/analysts/commentators don’t change your opinion of a player – the only one who can do that is the player themselves by their performances.” – Eboue?

29. Rasputin says:

Eboue is a prime example of that I would have thought Irish. He was crap, got booed off (wrongly IMO) got his head down, did a job, tried his hardest and now, like Song he has changed people’s minds – or do you not agree?

30. Morning Irish and London

Arsene has built this team around Cesc but when Cesc goes who will be the talisman – step up Theo. As rasp just mentioned there wasn’t rapturous cheering of his name and he needs to prove himself again.

Obviously its not his fault that hes had injuries that have disrupted this season – I really want him to succeed and hope he does.

31. Irishgunner says:

Agree 100% – just thought it better to pose it as a question than a statement to see if everyone else agrees.

32. Rasputin says:

Maybe there’s a headline post for you to write on that subject then Irish? :lol:

33. Irishgunner says:

Over on Bleacher Report? Nearly done :lol: ;)

Diaby? Song? Eboue?

Perhaps Arsene Knows Best ;-)

35. Irishgunner says:

Except on goalkeepers Raddy :lol:

36. Rasputin says:

We can’t afford you any more Irish :roll:

37. Meneurdejeu says:

Theo is 20 years old. He needs to play everyday in one position. He strikes me as the type of player who is only comfortable in 4-4-2 as a central striker. His pace is his main asset. We know technically he is lacking. He is similar to the David Villa, Jermain Defoe and Wayne Rooney type. The main differences are talent and age.

David Villa is a two footed wonder.
    Jermain Defoe is a decent Premiership striker
    Wayne Rooney is outstanding.

He has no left foot, cannot cross and just runs. He needs to be loaned out next year, but that will never happen because Arsene wouldnt want to kill his potential in the same fashion that buy a CM would kill Denilson. FML

38. Irishgunner says:

I’ll be off so

39. Meneurdejeu – can I congratulate you on a great name – I had to google it though :oops:

40. Where are you going Irish?

41. Irishgunner says:

Manchester City blog? Real Madrid blog? Whoever can afford me ;)

42. Rasputin says:

Also Mndj, like I pointed out earlier, the marketing department love him. A few good performances and an England call up and every kid under 16 will want his name on the back of their shirt.

43. I think the PR machine is set on automatic as far as Theo is concerned – thats why I’m sure he won’t ever go out on loan. Arsene did this himself when he had Sven pick him to go to the World Cup FOUR years ago. Can you believe that was four years ago?

44. I gave you that break Irish – wheres your loyalty ;)

Could Irish be our Flamini?

46. Rasputin says:

Is London your agent too Irish?

47. Irishgunner says:

Out of the money you make from me you could build a new training ground, develop some up and coming talent or just put it in the bank but whatever you do, don’t get someone with experience to directly fill in for me, no you must start the process ALL OVER again from the start!!

48. Irishgunner says:

Big Raddy – I’d prefer to think of myself as an Emmanuel Adebayor seen as I am under contract and just whoring myself out there.

Rasp – He’s collecting the royalties as we speak.

49. Seeing as you’re so good at whoring yourself about, would you like to do a something for us one day next week – pretty please :)

50. Irishgunner says:

” Seeing as you’re so good at whoring yourself about” 8O I ain’t no Tiger Woods!!

LOL I’ll do something midweek? Maybe Wednesday/Thursday? That suit?

51. That would be fine – write it, stick in drafts and we’ll chat about it :lol:

Why do you think Tomas didn’t start yesterday?

I love the video of him that you’ve put in the Video Library – all that unleashing great shots from outside the box – where’ve they gone?

52. Irishgunner says:

Ahhhhhh sorry but cash up front only :lol:

Not too sure why Tom didn’t start, maybe Wenger pinpointed McCartney’s lack of speed as a major weakness and just let Eboue and Walcott run at him?

Arsenal beat the “shots from outside the area” out of people…..

53. Why would we want to shoot from outside the area – its what other football teams do?

54. Rasputin says:

Man Utd have benefited from 10 own goals this season (one brilliant header by Diaby :roll: ). The reason is that they have players who really know how to cross the ball. I hate to say it but even G. Neville can whip the ball into the box in a way most of our wide players can only dream of.

55. Irishgunner says:

I don’t think we shoot from outside the area or cross the ball because Wenger doesn’t want it.

I think its a ridiculous notion to think that none of our players can whip in a great cross – Rosicky and Eboue have proved opposite in recent weeks – but I think A) Wenger doesn’t think its “total football” and B) He doesn’t have a player other than Bendtner/Eduardo (even those are a bit of a stretch) than can get a head to it or make use of a low cross.

He should watch Amauri goals for Juventus against Ajax in the Europa Cup last week – two moments of beauty – excellent cross and powerful header.

56. Rasputin says:

Can’t agree Irish. We know Sagna can’t cross – that’s a gimme. Putting high balls into the middle with AA up front is just giving away possession. If there is not a decent header of the ball arriving in the box, fire it low and hope for deflections. Better still somneone could do what I haven’t seen since Freddie – make a run to the near post for a tap-in …… or is that too easy :?

57. Irishgunner says:

I didn’t say all our players could whip in the ball, I just said it isn’t true that “NONE” of them can.

” Putting high balls into the middle with AA up front is just giving away possession. If there is not a decent header of the ball arriving in the box, fire it low and hope for rdeflections. Better still somneone could do what I haven’t seen since Freddie – make a run to the near post for a tap-in …… or is that too easy ” – you are agreeing with me here I think.

We aren’t doing that because Wenger doesn’t allow it.

58. Rasputin says:

EE’s crossing was excellent yesterday because he looked up. Cesc’s corners are probably only about 50% on target, a lot fall too short. Theo’s crossing is hopeful rather than precise.

59. Irishgunner says:

Theo’s aren’t really crosses, they are loopy, floaty balls.

Do you think we practice crossing in training? Its very doubtful. Don’t practice something and it doesn’t come as easy.

60. Slater says:

It all boils down to the defence. Arsnal were almost undone by a through pass. Had the forward been clinical,it could have been a different story.
    Despite AW’s bullish optimism,i don’t think think the gunners can win the title.
    I think the gunners need to convert more of the chances created. Furthermore the one dimnsional play with passing all day is very easy to counter.AW shd take a leaf from Everon who beat the red faced cunt.He has lost to both Chrlsea and MU these past seasons.Unless the record improves forget about the title.

61. Rasputin says:

It’s not surprising that we don’t have a ‘plan B’ if there are basic footballing strategies that Wenger ‘doesn’t allow’. This is an interesting point I think. I see new players join the club and shoot freely in their first few games but sooner or later end up attempting the clever pass. Do we engender a sort of footballing snobbery that means we can’t get simple goals.

Drogba’s second yesterday reminded me of Seaman and Wrighty. Big kick from the keeper, strong determined frontman, one touch, back of the net. I don’t think the Chav fans complained that it was too basic.

62. Rasputin says:

Hi Slater,

There were times yesterday when we were crying out for a ‘proper’ centre forward. Maybe Wengerball needs to adapt, because the better sides in the prem have absorbed the best of what we’ve demonstrated and blended it with power and organisation.

63. Agree Slater – we struggle to defend and we struggle to score goals when it matters. We haven’t got a player – other than the injured van Persie – that can create a goal from nothing. We can be a joy to watch and also very frustrating.

Saying that, the mancs are very reliant on Rooney too.

Yesterday we had some fine chances to score and the hope is that one day those chances will be converted until then………..

64. Irishgunner says:

Slater: ” Furthermore the one dimnsional play with passing all day is very easy to counter.” – Yep, by the stronger sides. It works for the lesser sides and if the opposition come out to play which United and Chelsea were clever enough not to do.

” Do we engender a sort of footballing snobbery that means we can’t get simple goals.” – Sadly, I think we do.

Welcome Slater.

I said that earlier and was told (correctly) “horses for courses”. i.e. MU & the Chavs play differently with the Top 4 teams, whereas we play the same.

BTW the same beat Everton including Fellaini pretty comprehensively.

If we had our first line defence, Silvestre , who I think had a very poor game, would not have been playing.

66. Irishgunner says:

I think when Adebayor left we lost our only real “plan B, route one” option.

It’ll be interesting to see if Chamack can bring that back. He is a strong guy who runs the channels for the balls over the top.

Ras 12.51.

Does that explain why we are 10 points ahead of the chasing pack??

68. Wilshire on the bench for Bolton. Its half-time and Blackburn are 1-0 up.

69. Rasputin says:

Hi Raddy, that would be only 4 points if citeh win their 2 games in hand. I think Chamakh is a very strong boy and an excellent header, so with any luck we’ll have a plan B and ‘floated crosses’ will become effective again next season.

70. I think we can beat the lesser teams as we’ve shown because we are just more talented whereas the other top sides do change their game against us – as Raddy just said.

Although I didn’t enjoy seeing the long ball to Ade I could see that he was a handful for defenders. Its not ‘total football’ though is it. Like I said earlier its the same as everyone else and AW wants it to be different.

71. Rasputin says:

Irish, just saw your 12:54 – you keep copying me before I’ve written it 8O

72. Rasputin says:

OK peaches…. how much does he want to be different and how much does he want to win the CL or prem?

73. Irishgunner says:

Great minds Rasp, Great minds……… ;)

This is off topic but damn this is a biatch of a tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune, listening to it for the last half hour.

74. No point in asking me really – but for what its worth I think he wants the accolades for being different more than winning anything. If he can have both he’ll be on top of the world – his world that is :roll:

75. Irishgunner says:

Well he could have both if he bought the proper talent like he did with the Invincibles – he’s just trying to be a bit too clever this time around.

76. Love that tune Irish :)

Agree – ‘he’s just trying to be a bit too clever this time around.’

77. Irishgunner says:

Its a top tune.

I also like Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” – can’t figure which one is my current favourite.

78. Whats interesting is that he played Ramsey yesterday – why did he suddenly decide to give him a start? Thats not his style he usually plays new talent from the bench for a few weeks.

How many times has Ramsey come off the bench or started?

79. Rasputin says:

I forgot to mention Ramsey in my post…… the boy dun good! – he’s an ‘Arsenal player’.

80. Irishgunner says:

I think he might have realised Denilson was a bit cack lately or option B, that in the absence of Reid Sunderland had no real creative threat coming from central midfield so he didn’t need two DM type players in there.

81. Irishgunner says:

Ramsey is going to be top – he’ll be our Gerrard except without the cheating.

82. Rasputin says:

Do you really consider Denilson to be a ‘DM-type player’ Irish? I think Ramsey is every bit as good defensively as Denilson, but has more energy going forward (as opposed to sideways ;) )

83. Irishgunner says:

I don’t Rasp but Wenger does. I think he sees him as an Alonso-type holding/link player – now I don’t see that at all.

84. Ramsey

Started against Pompey away 30.12.09
    Everton home 09.01.10
    Villa away 27.01.10
    S’land home 20.02.10

Shows what I know – Ramsey has played in all but 3 games in the premiership so far this season either as a starter or off the bench :oops:

85. The four teams behind us have only 2 points between them who will be fourth tonight?

86. Irishgunner says:

He normally only comes on with about 15mins to go hasn’t he?

If anything its a credit to him because we want to see more.

87. Villa v Burnley
    Cuteh v L’pool
    Wigan v Spuds

88. Maybe his time has come – exciting :D

89. Irishgunner says:

Villa, draw (but if I had to pick a Liverpool win) and ……………… Wigan :D

Delighted to see JW get no game time today. He will learn little playing in the snow against Northern Cloggers

91. Rasputin says:

A Villa draw is out the window – 5:1

I think Irish was saying,,,, Villa win, MC draw and Wigan win !

93. Rasputin says:

You’re right Raddy – so far it’s all going our way

Wasn’t LJ sent oop norf to have a taste of ecky thump football?

94. Rasputin says:

Oh well, citeh / pool ended as a boring nil nil, but the spuds have just had a goal that was apparently 2 yards offside allowed and have currently leapt from 7th to fourth as it stands – but actually 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th are only 1 point apart.

Could those fools get a CL spot??

96. Rasputin says:

I think not Raddy. I heard somewhere that if pool win the Europa League, they take the 4th CL spot, but I’ve been unable to verify that. It would be just like them to finish 7th and then get in through the backdoor although hilarious if they deprived the spuds.

It’s going to be hard to make up the points, but I’d like to see Everton finish fourth, they’ve had as bad luck with injuries as we have.

97. rasp not sure that is correct mate

the winners of the europa league dont get a CL spot… they have asked for it for future years, but it wont happen this year for sure.

the rules on finishing outside 4th and qualifying have been tightened since that pool/everton debacle 5 years ago.

Watching the Wigan game. The pitch is winning! Dreadful football.

That was unfortunate for Wigan.

It has gone very quiet on the home grown players front with UEFA. Do you think they can force the 6-5 through?

100. Rasputin says: